• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Pro Wrestling (PS2 classic) coming to US PSN next week

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Fire Pro Wrestling D for the Sega Dreamcast is the best Fire Pro game, it has the modes, the best AI and the insane edit feature.

Fire Pro Wrestling A for the Gameboy Advance is the one which rivals D the most in terms of quality in my opinion.

Are the western FRW GBA game and the FRW A version the same, right?

beanman25

Who plays FPR? Everybody I know just sim matches.

There's a fairly more active (and open to registration) community available as well.

I play a decent amount of matches on my own, but mostly watch.

Which community is that? I've only ever known of this one.

Def Jukie

Fire Pro Wrestling D for the Sega Dreamcast is the best Fire Pro game, it has the modes, the best AI and the insane edit feature.

Fire Pro Wrestling A for the Gameboy Advance is the one which rivals D the most in terms of quality in my opinion.

Thanks! I'll check out the Dreamcast version. I didn't know they released a Fire Pro for it. Looks like it's not very expensive either.

bryehn

OH GOD YES.

Is there a way to convert PS2 memory card saves to the format used by the PS3? I want to get this, but only if I can get my original PS2 saves onto my PS3 (my PS2 is modded, so pulling them off of the memory card is no issue).

There's a memory card adapter I bought when the PS3 came out. It may be scarce now and I'm not sure if retail saves work with PS2 Classics.

Recall

you sure dude.

I had the japanese Fire Pro A

Didnt the US/EU version ditch the booker/promoter mode.

I spent hours playing that mode. Was so awesome!

Hmmm, maybe it did, I'm gonna have to fact check now but I'm sure it was Z with the removed modes. Best thing about A was the percentage of crowd approval and striving for that magical 100 :)

Ondore

I'd settle for them just putting it on Virtual Console.

I'm not confident that WWE would want to republish something that features C**** B***** so prominently. Wrestlemania 2000 is more likely, but still in limbo considering THQ's failure at existence.

Branson

God I love FPR. Stopped simming with it in favor of the newer wwe games. This might make me come back and try it a bit again. The ai is so much fun to sim with.

God I love FPR. Stopped simming with it in favor of the newer wwe games. This might make me come back and try it a bit again. The ai is so much fun to sim with.

yeah nobody can touch spike when it comes to A.I in pro-wrestling games. The amount of individuality and detail for such a huge roster is simply staggering!

The PS2 version isn't a classic, it only exists to make up for the, clusterfuck known as Fire Pro Z. The AI isn't know where near as good as Fire Pro A or D but it is up there as some of the best.

Obviously edit mode is where it shines. I made plenty of PAL file saves full of upto date rosters and edits, I believe all of them are still online at FPC. The good old days.

The AI is pretty much the same, if not better, especially because it's based on very simple ideas.

FPR just has more moves, and heads. It doesn't have the defaults that D has, but you can just download rosters.

I used to play FPD with one of those uber DC memory cards running hacked moves and simulations... and FPR is just better. I wish we could get an FPZ like Story mode, that was fun.

Every FPW game misses something that another has. Also the cage matches in FPR are terrible. But yeah... just want a portable Fire Pro.

The Dreamcast version had free DLC!!!

Yeah, a couple of moves. But then thanks to that DLC a guy was able to hack moves from Fire Pro Z into D. They took varying levels of space and filled up memory cards fast.

Man back when that was going on I was a major FPD fiend. Playing/simming daily.

The AI is pretty much the same, if not better, especially because it's based on very simple ideas.

FPR just has more moves, and heads. It doesn't have the defaults that D has, but you can just download rosters.

I used to play FPD with one of those uber DC memory cards running hacked moves and simulations... and FPR is just better. I wish we could get an FPZ like Story mode, that was fun.

Every FPW game misses something that another has. Also the cage matches in FPR are terrible. But yeah... just want a portable Fire Pro.

I would take any japanese wrestling game right now.

I dont mess with that WWE shit!

Biggest shame is that MS could have done something decent with spike but instead they went and wrecked it..

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
WHAT.

I always felt that, in hindsight, FP Returns would've been great for a Steam/PSN/XBLA type market. Too bad it didn't exist when it released ( it bombed ). Hopefully this does well, so they will be spurred to make new ones of this style.

Another "no one wants to take the time to remake this in HD!" style game :(

I always find it sad that there are so many old games that had hard-to-utilize multiplayer, due to need of multitaps, local friends, and controllers, that would be perfect for online multiplayer... yet they never get made, and the same FPS's get remade over and over... And the few we do get (Bomberman!) are never as good as the old version (Saturn Bomberman!)...

I hunted down FPRR for a self Christmas gift a few years back... I might have to rebuy this. Making every Fighting game Grappler in intricate style over again is always fun! (And time consuming...)

C-Drive

I'd settle for them just putting it on Virtual Console.

I'd love to see No Mercy there too. I'm surprised they don't go HD remake on it and just slap the WWE 2013 roster into the game to bypass legal issues.

As long as it plays the same and the CAW mode is there, I don't give a damn if Fandango is in it.

beanman25

Is anyone aware of how to get the .max saves to be in PSV format for use on PS3? I don't have a PS2 any longer so I can't use those. I'm wanting the starter pack 2013 save

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Silly question time folks, can I download from the US store and play Fire Pro PS2 on my Euro PS3 ? They haven't kept the region check have they in some sort of manner ?

So we have God Hand and Fire Pro now.

*throws out ps2 and lights it on fire and smokes the ashes and plays ps3*

brofist.jpg

God Hand is the only PS2 classic i bought on PSN so far, FPW will be the second. Two games that i've wanted to play for the longest time, but could never get hold of. Great news!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I wonder how this game looks on PCSX2.

Not too bad, actually. Hold on, let me find my disc and I'll try to get a screenshot.

EDIT: Sorry, couldn't get a decent screenshot without it looking blurry as hell. Which is weird because it looks fine in motion.

Also I just had an amazing Terry Funk vs Atsushi Onita barbed-wire deathmatch. God this game is still so much fun.

The thread title indicates its the US version thus everything is in English. There are a few mistranslations but everything is in English :)

Ah, shit sorry for double post

Wow, wasn't even aware there was an English version of FPR. Thought there was the unofficial patch and that's it.

Wow, wasn't even aware there was an English version of FPR. Thought there was the unofficial patch and that's it.

250px-Fire_Pro_Wrestling_Returns.jpg

Not too bad, actually. Hold on, let me find my disc and I'll try to get a screenshot.

Cool!

Gloam

Hopefully the game runs a bit better through software than the disc version did on BC PS3. On my PAL system the game's video would jiggle a lot. Made it hard to play for more than half-an-hour at at a time. Glad there's a digital version of the game coming, it was quite hard to get in Europe, I had to import from Italy for way too much money.

Satchel

Banned
I still have that memory card reader where you can copy your saves to the PS3 from the PS2/PS1 memory cards. If this ends up working I can always send it to people that need it, I certainly don't anymore.

I have that adaptor too.

That should work shouldn't it? Because its a PS2 save being used with a PS2 game no?

C-Drive

I wonder how this game looks on PCSX2.

Plenty of videos (and streams when they happen) around fpwarena are pulled from PCSX2. There's a guide available there as well, and as long as you have a good enough machine, it's emulated great. Very few actually use the PS2 game anymore to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmttvrTLlZA

The matches in that vid, I'm fairly certain are captured from PCSX2. The vid is a bit blurry, but actually running on a machine it's crisp.

This is a cropped screenshot of my edit to get an idea of how far you can take PCSX2 quality-wise - it can get pixelated at higher resolutions, but that's just the nature of it.

Top Bottom