• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Galaxy Nexus |OT|

• Thread starter Deleted member 22576
  • Start date

gutshot

So I've decided to get a Galaxy Nexus. I realize there are other better Android phones out there now (One X, SIII, etc.), but I really love that stock Android.

The question I have is, should I go with Sprint or Verizon? (GSM is out of the question as I don't want to spend $400 on a phone.)

Sprint has unlimited data, but doesn't yet have LTE coverage in my area and there is no timetable for when it will be up. Verizon has good LTE coverage in my area and, with the double data deal, I can get 4GB/month. How easy is it to blow through 4GB a month though? I've never had a smartphone so I have no idea.

So what do you think? Should I go with Sprint with unlimited data and hope they get LTE up and running soon or go with Verizon with the 4GB of data and be able to have LTE right away?

Thanks!

kinggroin

Banned
So I've decided to get a Galaxy Nexus. I realize there are other better Android phones out there now (One X, SIII, etc.), but I really love that stock Android.

The question I have is, should I go with Sprint or Verizon? (GSM is out of the question as I don't want to spend $400 on a phone.)

Sprint has unlimited data, but doesn't yet have LTE coverage in my area and there is no timetable for when it will be up. Verizon has good LTE coverage in my area and, with the double data deal, I can get 4GB/month. How easy is it to blow through 4GB a month though? I've never had a smartphone so I have no idea.

So what do you think? Should I go with Sprint with unlimited data and hope they get LTE up and running soon or go with Verizon with the 4GB of data and be able to have LTE right away?

Thanks!

Verizon. Its not even a question.

gutshot

Verizon. Its not even a question.

That is what I'm leaning towards. I'm just nervous about going over 4GBs for the month...

What kind of usage would you need to have to go over that cap? I'd be using the phone pretty regularly, checking email, Twitter, Facebook, and browsing the web. As well as watching Youtube videos, and occasionally streaming music, Netflix and/or HBO Go. Is that going to put me over?

kinggroin

Banned
That is what I'm leaning towards. I'm just nervous about going over 4GBs for the month...

What kind of usage would you need to have to go over that cap? I'd be using the phone pretty regularly, checking email, Twitter, Facebook, and browsing the web. As well as watching Youtube videos, and occasionally streaming music, Netflix and/or HBO Go. Is that going to put me over?

I use the hell out of my 4g connection. Tons of YouTube streaming (in HD), browsing gaf, a lot of Facebook and g+, streaming high quality music in rdio, and downloading trailers. Tethering at home.

The highest I went is 3.6 gigs.

If you use wifi at home and/or work, you should be way under that.

Also, the gnex has a built in data manager that allows you to set the data size warning, and a shut off when you reach a certain limit.

gutshot

I use the hell out of my 4g connection. Tons of YouTube streaming (in HD), browsing gaf, a lot of Facebook and g+, streaming high quality music in rdio, and downloading trailers. Tethering at home.

Also, the gnex has a built in data manager that allows you to set the data size warning, and a shut off when you reach a certain limit.

Ok, cool. I will use wifi at home, but elsewhere will be using 4G. But it sounds like I should be okay. And I forgot about the data manager feature. That is helpful.

Thanks for your help!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone want to buy my Galaxy Nexus lte model? And want my Verizon account with an unlimited data plan?

Moving to Europe soon. No need for it.

rozay

Banned

Thanks!
Why don't you get the GSM nexus and a $45 straight talk plan with 2GB data? It comes out to be a lot cheaper even with the upfront phone cost than you'll pay monthly on Verizon.

gutshot

Why don't you get the GSM nexus and a $45 straight talk plan with 2GB data? It comes out to be a lot cheaper even with the upfront phone cost than you'll pay monthly on Verizon.

Is that an AT&T plan? Does the $45 include text messaging as well? I'm also worried about going over the 2GBs...

kehs

Banned
Is that an AT&T plan? Does the $45 include text messaging as well? I'm also worried about going over the 2GBs...

Straight talk is a smaller carrier. http://www.straighttalk.com/

There are alot of good month to month smaller local carriers that make the unlocked purchase price of phones justifiable. Not to mention being able to walk away when you want. These GSM carriers also piggyback off the major carriers networks.

Cudder

SimleuqiR

NOT one Nexus to rule them all!!???

Google to Expand Mobile-Device Partnerships

Google Inc. plans to give multiple mobile-device makers—rather than just one partner—early access to new releases of its Android mobile operating system and to sell those devices directly to consumers, said people familiar with the matter.

Google's strategy is a shift from its previous practice, when it partnered with only one hardware maker at a time to produce seven "lead devices" that showed off the newest Android software features, before releasing the software to ...

Chaos!!

"Shit, when is ___(insert Sony, LG, Samsung, HTC, etc) updating their Nexus device?"

That said, it would makes sense for these devices to be on the Google Play store.
Not sure if any USA carriers will pick them up though >_>

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I doubt they'll all be called Nexus's. Most likely, this is Google trying to get more phones on the Play Store and unlocked like the Nexus initiative originally aimed to do.

kehs

Banned
NOT one Nexus to rule them all!!???

Google to Expand Mobile-Device Partnerships

Chaos!!

"Shit, when is ___(insert Sony, LG, Samsung, HTC, etc) updating their Nexus device?"

That said, it would makes sense for these devices to be on the Google Play store.
Not sure if any USA carriers will pick them up though >_>

It seems like they might be doing their deep development more in the open. Would be awesome, and it's highly needed since the forking threat higher than ever (Samsung/Amazon).

DXPett1

I doubt they'll all be called Nexus's. Most likely, this is Google trying to get more phones on the Play Store and unlocked like the Nexus initiative originally aimed to do.

I don't care what they are called, if it is implying Nexus devices (ala pure ASOP/Google) sold unlocked to all... fuck yes!

DarkFlow

Banned
Well I pulled the trigger today for the unlocked GSM model from Google play. I plan on going with the $30 monthly 4g plan from t mobile since I don't really talk on the phone. Anyone using this with there GN, and how are the speeds?

Well I pulled the trigger today for the unlocked GSM model from Google play. I plan on going with the $30 monthly 4g plan from t mobile since I don't really talk on the phone. Anyone using this with there GN, and how are the speeds?

3-7 mbps. Definitely some dead zones in my area though (Seattle) where it struggles to top 800 kbps.

I have since switched to AT&T for a month or two to check out their speeds. I'm using an IMEI from one of their LTE devices so I can access their HSPA+ speeds, and they're about on par with T-Mobile.

One other reason I made at least a temporary switch is that I found T-Mobile was compressing videos within the YouTube app. Recent update to android 4.04 kind of changed that, sometimes HD content is available, sometimes not.

I've been getting pretty crappy speeds but I also live in a not so big area. The highest I've gotten is 1mb.

I'm on t-mobile but not the 30/mo plan.

DarkFlow

Banned
I've been getting pretty crappy speeds but I also live in a not so big area. The highest I've gotten is 1mb.

I'm on t-mobile but not the 30/mo plan.
Hmmm well I'll give it a try for a month, that's why I got it unlocked, FREEDOM! I know ATT is pretty crappy in my part of san Diego so I'm going to see how t mobile works. Thanks for the info guys.

Angst

Ok, cool. I will use wifi at home, but elsewhere will be using 4G. But it sounds like I should be okay. And I forgot about the data manager feature. That is helpful.

Thanks for your help!

Just a heads-up here. It's quite easy to use 1 gig in one single night when tethering and streaming movies/Youtube. I don't tether that often, but still use ~6-7 gigs monthly. I suspect Play Music and Spotify are my main culprits.

SimleuqiR

Got my extended battery and cover (GSM model) from South Korea. Firstly, it gives the phone a more of a tapered (tear drop) look. It also feels better in the palm of your hand. That said, I have to get used to the little extra weight (muscle memory is some shit). Once that feeling of the extra weight goes away I will have no complains. Hopefully I can get an extra hour of juice with 4.0.4. Will post my findings after I've stretch the battery for a couple of weeks.

thespot84

Got my extended battery and cover (GSM model) from South Korea. Firstly, it gives the phone a more of a tapered (tear drop) look. It also feels better in the palm of your hand. That said, I have to get used to the little extra weight (muscle memory is some shit). Once that feeling of the extra weight goes away I will have no complains. Hopefully I can get an extra hour of juice with 4.0.4. Will post my findings after I've stretch the battery for a couple of weeks.

Maybe you'll find you like the weight. I've carried bricks in the bast (OG Droid, Samsung i760) and the tuna was initially too light. I found the extra weight to be just what the doctor ordered, but it's all personal preference.

SimleuqiR

Maybe you'll find you like the weight. I've carried bricks in the bast (OG Droid, Samsung i760) and the tuna was initially too light. I found the extra weight to be just what the doctor ordered, but it's all personal preference.

No, don't get me wrong I don't mind the weight. It just a matter of getting used to it. I initially didn't like how light the phone felt (going from the Nexus On to the Tuna), but I got used to it. After a week or so I probably won't even remember how light it was.

NH Apache

Banned
So I have a crack in my screen that seems to be spreading. It wasn't dropped or anything, I'm not sure where it came from.

Any legit reason I can get a replacement from Verizon? Anyone know what options I have?

gcubed

So I have a crack in my screen that seems to be spreading. It wasn't dropped or anything, I'm not sure where it came from.

Any legit reason I can get a replacement from Verizon? Anyone know what options I have?

go into a store and tell them you didn't drop it. If you dont have marks anywhere else on the phone you should be able to politely argue your way into it

NH Apache

Banned
go into a store and tell them you didn't drop it. If you dont have marks anywhere else on the phone you should be able to politely argue your way into it

I may try that. I think it was chillen in the same pocket as my keys.

I'm going to flash stock onto it first though.

Nightz

So there are times during the day when my Nexus shows a full 4 bars, but any incoming calls go straight to voicemail and I never receive them. I've missed a bunch of important calls and my wife constantly gets mad at me for this. Sometimes I don't receive texts and they all come at the same time hours later.

Are these also part of the signal issues that people complain about?

So I'm looking into upgrading my old phone into a smartphone. I am currently holding an older Verizon phone that is up for an upgrade and looking to finally get into the whole "smartphone" thing everyone is going crazy about. I don't need something super high end, but want something dependable and efficient. I'm not totally against Apple, so I wouldn't mind an iPhone (besides how crazy expensive they can be), but I want to know what my other options are.

Is the Galaxy Nexus a good place too look, or are there other phones I should be looking at?

gcubed

So there are times during the day when my Nexus shows a full 4 bars, but any incoming calls go straight to voicemail and I never receive them. I've missed a bunch of important calls and my wife constantly gets mad at me for this. Sometimes I don't receive texts and they all come at the same time hours later.

Are these also part of the signal issues that people complain about?

yes, i would get a replacement instead of hoping a firmware fix helps

zedge

is the battery life really as bad on these things as some people say?

GSM version here, it lasts longer than my GS2 did. 60% battery right now, 9h 2m on battery.

Havent been using it heavily but a fair bit. This is pretty normal life for mine.

DarkFlow

Banned
Just got my nexus today in the mail. So far I love it and I seem to have got one that does not have the purple hue so that's a plus. I upgraded from a evo 4G and it's like night and day using this phone. I also put it on the t mobile monthly 4g $30 a month plan. The speeds are pretty good so far but I'll see after a month if I want to stay on it.

HeySeuss

Is Verizon going to update to 4.0.4? Or is it downloadable somewhere? I heard that the updated version saves a little battery life.

DarkFlow

Banned
Is Verizon going to update to 4.0.4? Or is it downloadable somewhere? I heard that the updated version saves a little battery life.

That's the million dollar question at the moment. I'm sure they will at some point, then again this is Verizon. You might not get another update till Android 5.0.

Piano

Banned
How have people with the Verizon Nexus managed to get good screen on time? Can you give me the specific roms / kernels / settings you used?

I have the extended battery on wifi most of the day with the stock rooted.4.0.4 and lean kernel with lean tweaks. Undervolted with no over clock, sio scheduler and auto brightness. I generally get around 2.5 to 3 hours screen on.

Top Bottom