• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT5 Rumors: French Magazine with Kazunori Yamauchi reveals...

Another European brand will allow painting and decals, but we can’t allow players to put “thunder” on the side of the car. I’m not even sure what that means. I assumed it meant lightning, but when I asked that specific question, the representative was very insistent: “no thunder”.
Too good. Interesting article, thanks.

RavenFox

Banned
JoeMartin said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Any shred of credibility you had was just completely and utterly destroyed.

Console "sims" are a JOKE compared to the PC sim arena. Always have been, and for the foreseeable future, will continue to be.
JoeMartin
(Today, 04:26 PM)
Reply | Quote

Should have known.

Madman

Doom_Bringer said:
iF GTHD is really coming out then it mean GT5 will be delayed to Winter 08
Delayed to? That was when I was expecting it's release.

For me, the more GT, the better.

PS360

Banned
JoeMartin said:
GT5 will be great, but I don't think it will be as good a racing simulator as Forza is.

Well that's not surprising given the fact that Gran Turismo has never been a racing simulator.

Madman said:
Delayed to? That was when I was expecting it's release.

For me, the more GT, the better.

Really? I thought it would be released by Summer 08

114126005220070527201549.jpg

looks awesome :D

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
People who think GT5 will somehow get toned down from GT Concept simply because it'll have more to render are stupid.

Yeah, I said it, you're stupid. You're stupid because you actually believe that Polyphony Digital would somehow downgrade the overall look of their flagship game. The budget behind this game is probably the largest of any Sony game in development, if not one of the highest overall.

And don't forget what Kaz said: GT Concept barely utilizes the PS3's potential as is. It's been stated before that the game is a 5% indication of what GT5 will look and play like.

Ploid 3.0

What the crap is going on now? We got new scans of the interiors and now people are talking about how GTPS2's were an embarrisment of a franchise due to the flawed physics. I think PD did a great job of balancing eye candy, AI, and physics. They weren't working with a PC or anything. We'll see if they stand up to you physics people's standards when GT5 preview biulds, or the game is released. In interviews with Yamauchi he would say that they can only do so much to improve the AI and Physics when speaking of GT3-4. He could have sacrificed 60fps, detailed cars, and made things timetrial only (whoever said GT should be timetrial only is a.. well thats just stupid). Now it appears, we'll have nice interiors, damage, better graphics and physics (better, we moved up a console with better performance). What are we doubting? PD is good at pushing the hardware sony gives them.

I am with you Ploid. Gran Turismo 3 and 4 were held back by PS2. Anyone who says Forza will somehow be better than GT5 is out of their minds.

JoeMartin

RavenFox said:
-So you mean to tell me Kazunori is lying on this venture?

Who ever said he was lying? Did I? Nope. Did he? Nope. I'm just saying that I will be thoroughly impressed if they can carry over the kind of graphical fidelity they have achieved with the cars in GTHD when they actually have to put a real game behind it.

RavenFox said:
-No they are not. Cell is the beast of the two. Why are you in denial about this when it has been said and proven time again.

I must have missed all the proof. Care to provide some for me?

RavenFox said:
-dude take a nap your tripping

It's a generally accepted fact that GT wasn't as good a simulator as Forza was when it came to physics. Most of the racing aficionados on the board will agree.

RavenFox said:
-lol some devs want 60fps and accurate car models and handling and other want 30fps and crashes. I mean PD tossed it up and they went with what they good do best with the hardware they had.

Right. And their game was not as good a simulator as such.

RavenFox said:
-PD is way beyond T10 in more ways than you know. You know you guys need to do some research before posting.

Since you seem to be so much more well informed than the rest of the group, please, do share. I would love to hear about some of this phenomenal research you've been doing.

Madman

Doom_Bringer said:
Really? I thought it would be released by Summer 08.
That would be great, but I would imagine this will be the lead game of Christmas 08 for Sony along with the new Socom, Resistance, ect.

BTW, I'm expecting GT5 to look better than GT HD.

Gek54 said:
Harder, no. More arcadey, yes. Download the GTR2 demo on your PC for a quick example of a decent simulation this day and age.

Erm, GT is criticized cause its more arcady? :lol :lol

Anyway, you're better of downloading LFS.

Oh, and JoeMartin, get off my thread please :)

Madman said:
That would be great, but I would imagine this will be the lead game of Christmas 08 for Sony along with the new Socom, Resistance, ect.

BTW, I'm expecting GT5 to look better than GT HD.

It should look great! I can't wait to see the night tracks! They did such a nice job in GT3 with the wet roads and camera flashes

JoeMartin

RavenFox said:
JoeMartin
(Today, 04:26 PM)
Reply | Quote

Should have known.

Are you HONESTLY insinuating that console racing "sims" do a better job of it than those on the PC? I sincerely hope you are joking.

PS360 said:
Well that's not surprising given the fact that Gran Turismo has never been a racing simulator.

Really? That's not the vibe I got from the game's slogan. I must have misinterpreted.

JoeMartin said:
Are you HONESTLY insinuating that console racing "sims" do a better job of it than those on the PC? I sincerely hope you are joking.

Dude quit derailing the thread. It's about GT5 rumors, not comparing older GT games with PC sims.

Greg

JoeMartin said:
Really? That's not the vibe I got from the game's slogan. I must have misinterpreted.
Misinterpreted to the point where you even got the title wrong - it says 'Driving' simulator. :lol

AlphaSnake said:
And don't forget what Kaz said: GT Concept barely utilizes the PS3's potential as is. It's been stated before that the game is a 5% indication of what GT5 will look and play like.

Assuming you're talking about the E3-BEEPBEEP-microtransaction-gt4-in-HD that got canceled..yes.

Madman

Doom_Bringer said:
It should look great! I can't wait to see the night tracks! They did such a nice job in GT3 with the wet roads and camera flashes
All this makes ne feel like playing GT HD. Still have only made 2nd place in the rankings.

PS360

Banned
JoeMartin said:

You did.

Gran Turismo, as PD have said, was always meant to be "an encyclopedia of cars." It is a driving simulator, not a racing simulator. In fact the words "the real driving simulator" usually go hand-in-hand with the game's title.

It has focused primarily simulating the driving style of the cars featured. That's why there are cars from decades ago, and even 19th century wagons.

Forza, on the other hand, is focused heavily on racing. Hence the car selection, and its title: Forza Motorsport.

JoeMartin

Greg said:
Misinterpreted to the point where you even got the title wrong - it says 'Driving' simulator. :lol

Aww, shucks, silly me. It's so obvious, how did I miss it! The Real Driving Simulator, not The Real Racing Simulator.

Well played PS360. I concede defeat.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
JoeMartin said:
Nope. I'm just saying that I will be thoroughly impressed if they can carry over the kind of graphical fidelity they have achieved with the cars in GTHD when they actually have to put a real game behind it.

Time and time again people have always showed doubt in PD with every frigin GT game. People thought GT2000 was pushing it, that PD would never be able to do that, or that it's just the replays. Wah wah wah. Then comes GT3. And people still bitched. Then came GT3 looking even better as development went on. People bitched. Then came GT3 to shut everyone the hell up.

Ad nauseum with GT4, GTHD and GT5.

People need to learn to stop doubting Polyphony. Once again, if you somehow think that GT5 may possibly be downgraded over GT Concept, then there's something wrong with you.

Ploid 3.0

The first GT was all about trying to make a real race sim on PSX. It was limited then but people loved it. GT has gotten more into a car index after GT2's massive amount of cars. Since then PD seem to have been trying to represent the cars well, all with making them look as good as possible. The tracks don't get half as much of the attention that cars get it seem, but I'm sure the tracks are the same.

In GT1 they seemed to put a lot of effort into a physics system given the hardware. The manual isn't as thick as a Falcon manual on PC but it was pretty thick for a psx game. Not saying that the physics on GT1 was awesome but they did a good job to make it seem like I was fighting momentum, weight, and friction. I think they know a thing or two about how to impliment some kind of physics system if they have room to. They don't seem like a garage team to me for some reason.

Gek54

Metalmurphy said:
Erm, GT is criticized cause its more arcady? :lol :lol

Yes, they can claim all sorts of graphical features but they have yet to show that it will have physics that are at least better than anything we saw last gen. GTHD demo definitely doesnt show that they figured out how to do better physics than Forza 1. If they are really going for GT4 quanity then it sounds like they are going for quanity over quality again. I of course would love to be proven wrong but nothing has been shown that says otherwise.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'd like to say, once again, I cannot imagine how kick ass GT5 will look. I honestly can't imagine it. Considering what they got out of the PS2...

Gek54 said:
Yes, they can claim all sorts of graphical features but they have yet to show that it will have physics that are at least better than anything we saw last gen. GTHD demo definitely doesnt show that they figured out how to do better physics than Forza 1. If they are really going for GT4 quanity then it sounds like they are going for quanity over quality again. I of course would love to be proven wrong but nothing has been shown that says otherwise.

Sorry but GT is does NOT have Arcade gameplay, AT ALL, worst physics or not... Infact i find Forza to be more arcady then GT despite the better physics.

PS360

Banned
What's the deal with a French magazine gettin this kind of scoop? I thought video game journalism was bigger in the U.S? You'd think we'd get some shit like this.

AZ Greg

How does the guy that turned this thread to shit and started all the arguments with the following random comment avoid a ban?

Phoenix Down said:
Poly>> Turn 10

Nuff said

The thread was going well too, oh well.

OatmealMu

AZ Greg said:
How does the guy that turned this thread to shit and started all the arguments with the following random comment avoid a ban?

The thread was going well too, oh well.

Liberal use of phoenix down?

PS360 said:
You did.

Gran Turismo, as PD have said, was always meant to be "an encyclopedia of cars." It is a driving simulator, not a racing simulator. In fact the words "the real driving simulator" usually go hand-in-hand with the game's title.

It has focused primarily simulating the driving style of the cars featured. That's why there are cars from decades ago, and even 19th century wagons.

Forza, on the other hand, is focused heavily on racing. Hence the car selection, and its title: Forza Motorsport.

Kind of ironic isn't it that ingame money and cars in all GT's can only be earned by racing. Except for maybe hardware limitations there is no excuse for bad AI.

Greg

Kintaro said:
I'd like to say, once again, I cannot imagine how kick ass GT5 will look. I honestly can't imagine it. Considering what they got out of the PS2...
I agree - I mean, the graphical jump from GT3 to GT4 wasn't as large, but the fact that they continued to push the PS2 blew my mind.

You can complain about the lack of damage, etc., but they never half-ass anything. I'm quite certain they could've done GT3 with damage on the PS2 (in a world without bitchy manufacturers), but it wouldn't have been up to their standards that everything else is at, so they chose not to. I don't even care about damage, but the day they decide to implement it in any form, you can expect it to be done like no other.

Gek54 said:
Self ownage?

:lol So you think better physics automatically makes a game less arcady? Fine dude. :lol

I would agree with you if physics calculation had reached perfection. Having a half baked physics system isn't necessarily a more realistic approach then some "scripted" physics.

But hey. What ever rocks your boat :)

Gek54

Metalmurphy said:
:lol So you think better physics automatically makes a game less arcady? Fine dude. :lol

The physics are the heart of a good driving simulation.

Metalmurphy said:
I would agree with you if physics calculation had reached perfection. Having a half baked physics system isn't necessarily a more realistic approach then some "scripted" physics.

But hey. What ever rocks your boat :)

Scripted physics? What is this in reference to?

Gek54 said:
The physics are the heart of a good driving simulation.

Perfect physics are the heart of a perfect simulation

Failing that perfection then better physics alone might not be the best approach for realism.

But i feel like i said this before...

Gek54 said:
In reference to GT4. While it doesn't do anywhere near as many physics calculations as Forza 1 it STILL mimics the realism of driving the car better. Like the clip i posted a while ago shows.

Anyway i'll just leave it at that seeing as this is getting out of hand.

F-Pina

I am sorry to say to all Americans in NeoGaf but...

Stick shift RULES!!! :D

I already tried driving with automatic and i cannot believe how underpowered i feel on a car with automatic gears...
Europeans for the win :lol

PS: I think we can call GT 4 a soft sim.

Gek54

Dont let Alphasnake's inability to shift gears and hold his girlfriend's hand at the same time represent American drivers, many of us do swear by the stick.

bud

Sirolf said:
And the big news from the article : FULL HD GT4 is not dead!!
-Release date is not determined yet ( but from this article opinion,end of this year )

-750 cars

-50 circuits

-Two versions (same versions as the original plan from last year) :classic and premium
* Online garage
* Career mode
* Online chat
* Spectator mode (à la PGR3)
* Possibility to create Clubs

-Test playground for the future GT5

And..that's all :)

what?

vpance

Well I think that junior guy was right in that PC sims outdo console racing "sims" in terms of realism for the most part. But GT and Forza have other things going for it. IIRC Kaz said he wanted next GT to be the Driving Life simulator which fits with the car clubs, garage, chat, and customization. Forza does this too already to some degree.

If you want to argue GT vs Forza on physics and handling i think yall should wait til GT5 or at least til prologue is out first to compare. Last gen comparison isn't that fair i think.

Goldrusher

I like the Gran Turismo series, but it's always the same with Polyphony. Delay after delay.
I doub't we'll see a GT5 before 2009.

So now they want something to fill the gap and took GTHD (the real one) from under the dust.

Ploid 3.0

Gek54 said:
Dont let Alphasnake's inability to shift gears and hold his girlfriend's hand at the same time represent American drivers, many of us do swear by the stick.

lol what the crap:lol

Goldrusher said:
I like the Gran Turismo series, but it's always the same with Polyphony. Delay after delay.
I doub't we'll see a GT5 before 2009.

So now they want something to fill the gap and took GTHD (the real one) from under the dust.

sad but true

well i wont give my hopes up until after e3 and tgs

Top Bottom