• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 |OT| Anyone can save the galaxy once - SPOILERS!

GAMEPROFF

Banned
They had that fight in the Precessor.
I kinda liked how Nebula went full aggro with a spaceship. Showed her full hate. But your idea would have worked, too.

Razorback

Just saw it. It was a lot of fun.

These marvel movies are just amazing while you're watching them. But as soon as they're over, that's it. I rarely ever think about them again or have any desire to re-watch them.

It's a mystery, these movies are really well made.I wonder what is missing that would make them stick in my mind.

Alienous

They had that fight in the Precessor.
I kinda liked how Nebula went full aggro with a spaceship. Showed her full hate. But your idea would have worked, too.

Yeah, I was thinking of that, and I do think her rage was portrayed well, but that sequence felt like a clumsy way to get to the emotional conclusion they were aiming for.

A ship's on fire and Gamora decides to just pummel it with massive manchine gun bullets, and to be concerned with her sister's safety a few minutes later. It felt weird.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Favourite part of GOTG 2 was how Gunn doesn't give a fuck about it fitting into the core MCU. Ego retroactively nearly fucks over Earth in 2014 and there's no attempt to explain it - Gunn just does what he wants to do.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I also liked how they mirrored the scene were Gamorra tried to held Nebula up when she was about to fall down from the Kree Warship. Now Nebula was the one who hold Gamorra.

Sec0nd

Just came back from watching it. I absolutely loved it. The humor, the action. Super spot on.

Though to watch this film more critically is super interesting. Marvel is really honing their skills. They've figured out exactly what makes Marvel films so much fun. And they are putting these parts into overdrive lately. Mainly the humor and the crazy action. These are what are important to Marvel films. With characters coming in at a third place. And the story coming in somewhere at the bottom of the list. That really did manifest itself pretty clearly in this film. Characters are just spewing exposition everywhere. Ego explaining his entire backstory in one go. Nebula all suddenly screams the entire backstory of why she hates her sister while noone was asking. Yondu randomly explaining his entire backstory. I could go on. They did not do exposition subtly.

Iron Fist does this as well. Poor exposition. And it's fucking terrible. Makes all the information that is gathered meaningless and not interesting. Since it's just not properly 'earned'. And for some reason, though definitely not graceful, it kinda works in Guardians. Maybe it's because the movie is pretty clear from the get go that the story is not its main feature. It's the gags and the action. The story just serves to get the characters to one set piece to another. BUT for some reason all the crappy exposition is still enough to deliver emotion conclusions at the end of the film. With the funeral and all. It's ridiculous that it works. But it does.

It's really interesting to analyze in my opinion. Marvel films are the definition of popcorn films and they've just cracked the code. The blueprint is showing but for some reason it doesn't matter. It's just so good.

Edit: But these kind of flaws are also one of the reasons why Marvel films, yet incredibly entertaining, feel pretty generic. They are a thrill ride but will not become legendary films. Not if they continue to tell their stories this way. But they are obviously not aiming for the Oscars. And that's totally fine.

Renpatsu

Nebula is a nice surprise, didn't like her much in the first movie, but man I like her backstory here, Thanos is really an asshole. arguably worse than Ego imo. at least Ego kinda want what he think is best for Quill. making him a god/immortal. he's just so out of touch and don't have the perspective of mortal.

Ego's final scene where he's pleading to Starlord to remove the bomb surprisingly make me feel sorry for Ego, even just for a little bit. it's also pretty fucked up that Quill basically just kill his own father.
That's an interesting perspective, but from my point of view Ego and Thanos share more in common than you'd initially think:
Both are extremely powerful cosmic beings with desires to bend the universe to their will.
Both view other life as lesser than themselves.
Both groom their children to take up that will at the expense of their own agency.
Both ultimately view their children as expendable assets to be used as a means to an end.

But then with Ego he chooses to propogate with as many species in the universe (lol just like Peter) with the hopes that one of his spawn will become a Celestial like himself. Those that aren't are tossed aside as failures and basically drained of their life to replenish Ego's energy. The one being he falls in love with he gives a terminal illness in order to remove all possibility of giving up his plans in favour of love. When Peter rejects Ego's will he drops all pretense and the fatherly facade falls away to reveal him to be far more self serving and dare I say it egotistical. I'm just saying, Ego is all kinds of fucked up.

The whole point of the film is that family is not simply the blood coursing through your veins, but rather the ones that raise you, stick by you and make you a stronger individual.

Alienous

I think Taserface would have worked better if it was more of a try-hard name, like Star Lord. I thought the joke had a good punchline, anyway.

hank_tree

I think Taserface would have worked better if it was more of a try-hard name, like Star Lord. I thought the joke had a good punchline, anyway.

I just thought it was dumb that everyone in the movie was literally rolling around laughing, and there was not one laugh from the actual audience. It just didn't work.

I enjoyed it but I feel you could skip it and miss nothing. It was quite an uneventful movie where any major actions are undone by the end.

It also kept chasing its own tail when it came to tone, at least it was a lot of fun.

Poona

Disappointed that Fox on the Run didn't make it to the movie proper. Hope it's not in a deleted scene that shouldn't have been deleted, like 'Magic' in the first movie

Nah, I read an interview with James Gunn, where he said it was just for the trailers, just like Spirit in the Sky was just in the trailers for the first film.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so are the yellow dudes the universal church of truth?

janoDX

Just came back from the cinema, I cried at Yondu's funeral, Cat Stevens and all, I just couldn't hold it.

This was a fun movie with so much emotional scenes, and I get that they wanted a more "personal" film in that sense but they can't back away from the silly route they have.

But I liked all the movie, Nebula was the surprise, Yondu was incredible and I will miss him on the future films. Stallone and the rest just set up the next film. The cameos were interesting, Stan Lee's theory is almost real. I liked baby Groot. The action was great.

9/10 what a movie.

duckroll

On a scale between Mudflap/Skids to Random Chinese Boxer, how would you rate it?

Budweiser cameo.

I think Taserface would have worked better if he was actually like, introduced as Taserface at some point much earlier before the coup, and it allowed the audience to naturally laugh at him a few times while everyone in the film just played it straight. Instead the entire joke from the start is "OMG YOUR NAME IS TASERFACE ROFLMAO, GUY EVERYONE THIS GUY'S NAME IS TASERFACE!"

It's not that the joke isn't funny, but when you start a joke by explaining it and then spamming it again and again, it's definitely kinda... stupid.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Saw it last night. I had fun, it was an entertaining movie.

- the beginning was a little awkward, some forced jokes, dialogue didn't flow as smoothly as the first movie
- Rocket got some much needed character development
- keeping Groot a baby throughout the movie was a good move, shifts the focus during action sequences to what the rest of the team can do
- Karen Gillian needs to learn how to act tough without a locked jaw, literally every time she wanted to sound badass, her teeth grinded
- Karen's disappointing performance brought down the Gamora/Nebula sister arc, unfortunately
- we actually got a decent villain this time!
- Bautista, Pratt, Saldana, Russell, Klementieff and Rooker were phenomenal, they fucking delivered
- that moment where Ego tells Quill that he gave his mom cancer, beautiful, well done
- Yondu's funeral had me in tears
- the interactions between Drax and Mantis were great
- I felt there were too many jokes, there were a couple of scenes where they turned a serious, emotional moment into a joke, which completely undercut the gravity of that moment
- some jokes got stretched out way too long, like Taserface or Groot fetching stuff

Overall, pretty solid movie, I like how they combined a Galaxy-level threat with an intimate story, while at the same time resolving the story around Peter's dad and why he could hold an infinity Stone.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Nah, I read an interview with James Gunn, where he said it was just for the trailers, just like Spirit in the Sky was just in the trailers for the first film.

Ah okay. It's one of my favorites from the mix, would've loved it in the final cut.

I watched it and i do not understand the mix d reviews it got. For me its even better than the first one.

Marvel finally got a great villain, although they seemingly killed him (whi knows he says hes immortal). Also the secondary villains also were amazing, although they only intervened remotely so it instantly felt as if they are not that involved. Yondu was impeccable. Drax was amazing in particular with Mantis. Rocket was funny as ever and Starlord also nailed it. For me it was flawless.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I watched it and i do not understand the mix d reviews it got. For me its even better than the first one.

Marvel finally got a great villain, although they seemingly killed him (whi knows he says hes immortal). Also the secondary villains also were amazing, although they only intervened remotely so it instantly felt as if they are not that involved. Yondu was impeccable. Drax was amazing in particular with Mantis. Rocket was funny as ever and Starlord also nailed it. For me it was flawless.
He's immortal as long as the light shines. Groot knocked out that light with Rocket's bomb.

Myriadis

Watched it with friends and we all absolutely enjoyed it. Sure there are quite a few jokes that don't work well there, the local variety is pretty low compared to the first one and Drax just became a joke character in this movie. But the character development is much stronger, the villain much better and for me personally I liked the pacing here more.
It's still difficult to decide which one is better but so far I can tell I liked it.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Did they laugh at the
Hoff
cameo lol

The
Queen snicker
got us good tho

Who wouldn't laugh at that cameo?

Watched it with friends and we all absolutely enjoyed it. Sure there are quite a few jokes that don't work well there, the local variety is pretty low compared to the first one and Drax just became a joke character in this movie. But the character development is much stronger, the villain much better and for me personally I liked the pacing here more.
It's still difficult to decide which one is better but so far I can tell I liked it.

How is Drax a joke character? The scene where Mantis touches him and almost has a breakdown and you realise Drax internalises his grief that much that he can look non plussed externally and broken on the inside is some tear jerking shit.

I mean it's pretty clear at this point that Drax is intentionally overplaying the goofiness to hide how broken he is. The few times he's genuine (you're beautiful... on the inside) work because they're pay off, not the norm

AndersK

The more i think about it and read these discussions, the more it cements that Gunn actually made a sequel with the intention of exploring these characters, and not just make GotG 1.1.

I reckon several points actively enhances the first movie, particularly relating to Quill and his relationship to his Mother and Father. It was a good thing that review thread made me go in 'only' expecting more of the same. Tempered expectations and all that.

Glass Rebel

Loved it, easily better than the first simply because of the emotional bits hitting harder and more characters getting some depth to them, especially Gamora and Nebula. But I thought everything was a step-up, except for locale variety. Instead it got a bit of worldbuilding with the Ravagers.

The humour was definitely the best part, obviously. The Taserface joke was a huge hit in my screening but Marry Poppins got by far the biggest laughs. I was in stitches.

Also, holy fucking shit at Adam Warlock. We made it, brehs. 😭

Pachimari

I think my favorite part of GotG2 is when Nebula talks about Thanos replacing a part of her with cyber parts everytime Gamora would when they were younger. That must be the one part that really stood out to me, and I loved it.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I think my favorite part of GotG2 is when Nebula talks about Thanos replacing a part of her with cyber parts everytime Gamora would when they were younger. That must be the one part that really stood out to me, and I loved it.

I'll be pissed if Nebula doesn't kill Thanos now. I mean I know Avengers/RDJ are the focus, but Nebula, Drax and Gamora really have to be the ones to take Thanos down.

I'll be pissed if Nebula doesn't kill Thanos now. I mean I know Avengers/RDJ are the focus, but Nebula, Drax and Gamora really have to be the ones to take Thanos down.
She will hurt him at least, maybe making it possible for a joint effort for GotG and Avengers to kill Thanos.
I will be not be surprised they downsize the team on both sides by killing at least one from GotG and Avengers. Nebula is most likely to die since she was not in the original team.

El Topo

Wait what?

Post-credits scene. Ayesha reveals a cocoon with (iirc) the next step of evolution that they will use to destroy the Guardians of the Galaxy. She names this creation Adam.

I hope we get to see Moondragon; Drax's daughter in GotG3, just to see that father-daughter dynamic with Drax.

Isn't she dead according to Drax? I thought he mentioned in the first movie that Ronan killed his wife and daughter, no?

Pachimari

Post-credits scene. Ayesha reveals a cocoon with (iirc) the next step of evolution that they will use to destroy the Guardians of the Galaxy. She names this creation Adam.

Isn't she dead according to Drax? I thought he mentioned in the first movie that Ronan killed his wife and daughter, no?
They can just change if for the MCU. Just let him have another daughter which would be Moondragon.

Kain

This movie seems like a spin off out of the MCU continuum but it actually connects the guardians with Earth due to Ego's thing. Surely the Avengers will look into the blue blob right?

Which name did they use for the Taserface gag in English?
Watched it dubbed and found that part hilarious. They used a regional meme that took the whole audience by surprise.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Which name did they use for the Teaserface gag in English?
Watched it dubbed and found that part hilarious. They used a regional meme that took the whole audience by surprise.

Taserface. That part where he calls the Sovereign and even she (well assistant) laughs at him got me.

Top Bottom