• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 |OT| Anyone can save the galaxy once - SPOILERS!

Curious how much this feels like a James Gunn film. People talk shit about Marvel stuff always feeling the same, but the first GOTG film felt like a Gunn film through and through. I expect this one to be just as Gunny.

Rlan

I wonder what role Stallone Ravager (which remind me of space expendables, lol) will have in future MCU.

I doubt they have plan to make spin off GoTG movie with Old Ravager team. my guess is they will be the army stand in for the big battle with Thanos army in Avengers 3 or 4. with Xandar having a huge chance to be demolished by Thanos soon, they'll need a new army sized group to save the day.

At this point Sly is 70 years old. Even if he's super fit, he aint gonna be running around doing massive feats of strength for much longer without a lot of CG. Hell, we lost Carrie fisher at 60.

Dryk

How exactly does Yondu die?

I know he sacrifices himself but what happens.
Rocket tells him to evacuate but he says he wants to stay behind (it's implied to watch out for Quill I guess). He gives him the last jetpack and spacesuit just in case he changes his mind, and then when Ego is exploding Quill loses his celestial powers and can't fly anymore. At that point Yondu swoops in, puts the spacesuit on him and carries him into orbit. Quill then has to helplessly watch another one of his parents die in front of him. It's an obvious beat but it's a culmination of a whole bunch of different threads that run throughout the movie: Yondu and Rocket finding common ground, Yondu and Peter's father/son dynamic, Peter's feeling about having to watch his mum die.

At this point Sly is 70 years old. Even if he's super fit, he aint gonna be running around doing massive feats of strength for much longer without a lot of CG. Hell, we lost Carrie fisher at 60.

not really expecting him to have action scenes, probably just scene of him in the ship shouting order to attack enemy's fleet or something.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I was surprised with how big Yondu's role was actually. He had the best action scene (the escape), got more depth as a character and his relationship with Quill and Rocket expanded. Then he got a huge salute with the ravager funeral scene which lasted longer than I thought.

It's great though, because Rooker deserved that. Feels like one big tribute from Gunn to his friend.

Also: GIANT PAC-MAN. That was so awesome

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
How exactly does Yondu die?

I know he sacrifices himself but what happens.

The planet was on the brim of explosion as Groot has planted an explosive at its core
The rest of the team has already evacuated into space on their space vehicle while Peter Quill stayed on to fight and distract his dad so his dad couldnt remove the explosive
The explosive went off, Yondu went in with jetpack, scoop Peter Quill off the planet surface
They soar into space as Yondu and Peter relief their last moment together, with Peter acknowledging that Yondu is his father even if he is not his real dad
Yondu slapped this device to Peter Quill chest (that will allow him to survive in space) when they soared into outer space. Since Yondu doesnt have the device on himself, he froze to death

They bind his corpse, decorated it with burial accessories and incinerated his dead body in their space vehicle, while the rest of the ravagers around the galaxy gathered in their own spacecrafts, fire off fireworks and salute the dead leader

El Topo

Whoah, when did that happen?

This has always been the case ever since Bernd Eichinger bought the rights in the 80s. They produced the infamous Roger Corman movie and later struck a deal with Fox about new movies.
You may note that they are still listed as a co-producer. We have no idea what their actual deal with Fox is though, so for all we know, Fox might be calling the shots.

Pachimari

Yeeeees! Just came out of the cinema, and that was a great movie. Although my initial feeling is that GotG1 was a better movie. I need to collect my thoughts.

Smoolio

Gunn alluded to the possibility of a lgbt character in this, now I've seen the movie, could maybe he either meant Mantis as she said to Drax "I don't even like what type of thing you are" or maybe Tazerface as he was in bed with a dude (granted it was more a room full of sleeping crew.

Idk

Pachimari

What did people thing of the deaging cgi of Kurt Russell at the start. Just looked really off and weird to me compared to the efforts done in Ant-Man and Civil War which I thought were done pretty well in those.

I thought it looked much better than the Civil War RDJ one. I would say it was just as well-done as the one in Ant-Man.

I'm disappointed that we never really got to see Ego transform into this planet.

Also, why are the Watchers a big deal? I know nothing about them.

I did like the part where Yondu points out how Rocket push away people who cares about him. It struck hard down as I've experienced it and unlike Peter I didn't have the strength to stay and fight for my friend.

I could relate to this too. This was one of the better scenes to me for sure.

Watching GoTG 1 on TV at the moment

I can never work out why everyone loves it so much. After a pretty fun first 20 minutes or so it just descends into a random sci-fi movie that loses my interest pretty quickly.

Iron Man 1 was on TV a few nights ago and I watched it the whole way through for about the 10th time and it gripped me to the end. AGAIN. Easily the pinnacle of the Marvel movies.

What is the great appeal with GOTG?

Pachimari

People get excited about the Watchers not just because of their role in comics (e.g. Uatu warning Earth about Galactus), but because they belong to Constantin/Fox.
They could have just swapped them with the rights to the X-Men series. I don't think this means anything more than that. But I'm curious as to who the Watchers are in the Marvel universe. Are they stronger than the Celestials and Eternals?

Just finished watching this....

WTF happened here? The original was a strong 10/10 and this one was like a 6/10. It's not bad, but boy was it dissapointing.

It felt like it was trying way too hard to be funny and a lot of the times the jokes just fell flat. The whole thing felt aimless and forgettable.

It also lacked A LOT of character development and the character chemistry was off. So much didn't work. >_>

EDIT: Drax and Rocket were annoying this time.

Replicant

Watching GoTG 1 on TV at the moment

I can never work out why everyone loves it so much. After a pretty fun first 20 minutes or so it just descends into a random sci-fi movie that loses my interest pretty quickly.

Iron Man 1 was on TV a few nights ago and I watched it the whole way through for about the 10th time and it gripped me to the end. AGAIN. Easily the pinnacle of the Marvel movies.

It's fun, heart-warming, and looks great, scenery and action-wise

I do believe that you need to have certain type of personality to enjoy it. If you get irritated at the antics of the characters then you probably won't enjoy it since everything hinge on those characters and their relationship with each other than the plot itself, which just provided a way for them to band together against common enemy.

It's fun, heart-warming, and looks great, scenery and action-wise

I do believe that you need to have certain type of personality to enjoy it. If you get irritated at the antics of the characters then you probably won't enjoy it since everything hinge on those characters and their relationship with each other than the plot itself, which just provided a way for them to band together against common enemy.

I just don't find the story that interesting TBH. The set pieces don't do much for me either

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah GotG films are more of character driven stuff than action, 2 being more character driven than 1 at the expense of pacing.

Poona

Well for me it's mostly just Groot and Rocket (and hearing 70's music as part of the story).

I'd be fine if they just made movies of Groot and Rocket's adventures. They've got comics of just the two of them, so I don't see why they can't do movies of just them.

Radec

Just got home. Movie was great, I'd rate it an 8/10.

Yondu killed it. Sad he won't be on the 3rd.

Celestial boss fight was a bit of a letdown though.

Ending fireworks was great, and so was the end credits.
Adam Warlock!

So... if He was being introduced in GotG 3, then the timeline would be..

Infinity War Part 1 (2018)
Guardians of the Galaxy 3 (2019)
Infinity War Part 2 (2019)

??

Sojgat

Saw it.

There's a lot to enjoy here (I absolutely loved Nebula this time), but in the end it all feels a bit much like a two hour trailer for a much more interesting movie. Visually it's stunning, and the action sequences far exceed those in the first movie. In many ways it feels like a GotG comic come to life. Unfortunately, said comic would've been written by Bendis.

Also, I don't think anyone else in my screening understood a single one of those stingers.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Day after and I guess there's a few nitpicks coming to mind now. Biggest criticism a friend had was the lack of location variety that the original had, and I guess there's a point. It didn't really bother me though, since I only realized it when he mentioned it.

One thing that was definitely better in the original, was the Awesome Mix. Good songs here, but I don't think Vol.1 can be easily beaten. All matter of preference of course. Just felt that the first batch gelled with the movie perfectly. The opening fight with ELO and Baby Groot was incredible though.

Movie is also an even bigger joke-barrage than the original, and I admit there are a few clunkers in the rapid fire. Most still worked for me though.

Thinking about going a second time, but right now I'm settling with it being great, but just missing the magic of the original a little bit. Still, there's so much creativity and good ideas here, Guardians is still the most fun part of the entire MCU.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I feel like the villain of this movie is rather memorable this time. Its peter quill's dad, a planet, a god, and they spend a great amount of time building him

yogloo

I rate it 6.5/10. It doesn't capture the magic of the first one.

I'm sad to see yondu go though. He has the best arc.

Philippo

It was ok.
Really a GOTG 1.5 and nothing more, still had tons of laughs all the way through, Drax (and Mantis) is a treasure.
Really big negative for me was that this movie is basically one long family visit to the therapist. Everyone is always talking about family issues.

Yondu's funeral with Father&Son playing was the most beautiful and touching non-action scene il all of Marvel movieverse.

For a film that expanded the MCU into amazing new territory, it sure did feel like it was 'smaller' than GOTG1. Maybe it's because there was no character like The Collector to explain the intricacies of cosmic Marvel, but it felt like James Gunns deliberately made it 'smaller' to focus on the personalities and idiosyncrasies of the guardians, and what makes them tick together and make them family. It's a bit heavy handed at times, but it works. It just felt like it way taking on a little too much in balancing the team's personal dynamics and expanding the universe outwards at times.

Things I remember (walking into the cinema pretty tipsy after 5 beers)
- Yondu got a proper fin hair style! And a fitting send-off.
- Ego is a Celestial? Wasn't he one of the abstracts in the comics? How come he says he's alone, when we've already seen one of the (traditional) Celestials in GOTG1?
- Baby Groot is hilarious but is used too much that it detracts
- The Hanna-Barbera faces of Rocket and Yondu as they were zipping through space were hilarious.
- Love Mantis' awkwardness, but it's gonna be a huge jump and character change to have her become ass-kicking comics Mantis.
- LOVED that Ego got at least two shots of him in planet form. If anything, this film and Dr Strange has shown the Marvel isn't afraid to delve into the more esoteric aspects of its universe.
- Michelle Yeoh??!!! Ving Rhames?!! Awesome!!! Not sure about Miley Cyrus, but I love the nods to the depths of the comics here. Original GOTG vs Quill GOTG in the third movie?
- Five bloody credit scenes?!! Granted, them are spaced out well to break up the credits instead of having to scroll through endless text.
- The 'Adam' scene had me smiling gleefully. I should have seen the whole gold skin, gold hair Sovereign connection a mile away.
- Watchers!! Something fundamental has changed with the Fantastic Four rights and if they have, I am incredibly glad that Marvel is showing it this subtly without a press release trumpeting it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Best joke of the entire movie was probably the Zune. That thing will get more attention now than it ever had when it was out.

Do they ever explain why Peter never visits earth? Are they really far from it? Lol. I bet he'd get a kick out of everything he's missed and pick up an iPod.

TimmiT

Just saw it. I loved everything about it with the exception of the main plot. Feels like it doesn't focus enough on Starlord and his dad for it to be as effective as it wants to be.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Finally watched it and loved it. Not sure what some other folks say that it's not good as the first movie (magic gone) or that the humor was too forced and on the heavy side. I came for characters, weirdness and the humor that the first movie brought and that's what I got.

I'm still sad about Yondu though :(

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Holy shit, there's a Zune in this movie?

Everyone made fun of me for having a Zune instead of an iPod but I loved that thing.

Well looks like you got something in common with Gunn

"In 2010, Gunn went to a Microsoft event to test out Project Natal, which would later come to be known as Kinect. While at the event, he got to test out a variety of other Microsoft products and couldn't help but admire the company's new Zune. As enamored as he was with it, he did admit it would be hard for him to switch over."

Quill can't believe it has 300 songs on it hah. It's also a smart way to keep the Awesome Mix alive for Vol 3.

KxoZz

Just got back from seeing it. Don't really understand the negative comments about it, thought it was pretty amazing.
The focus on character building was great and executed masterfully imo. The villan was fantastic, the humor fell a bit flat at the beginning but after that it was hilarious.
Going in I expected to be dissappointed by the fact that it wouldn't continue building the universe, with the infinity stones and so on, but coming out I felt absolutely satisfied with what we got.
Each character was explored in a meaningful way. Yondu's arc was easily the most interesting one.
Sad he had to die....

Not sure if it was better or worse than GotG 1, but I'm leaning towards better due to the villan and the character building.

My absolute favourite moment has gotta be that moment when
The Chain kicks in during the fight between Peter Quill and Ego.

Movie was good but nowhere near as good as the first one which is probably my favorite MCU-movie. GotG2 was way too cheesy. Everyone had to admit his love for the other characters at some point in the movie. It was really, really cheesy and anoying - even for a Disney-movie.

But overall the movie is a lot of fun with some decent action-scenes. Especially Drax and Rocket are very funny. But sometimes the movie was a bit too goofy for it's own good. Some stuff was straight "memes"-humor. The
Pac-Man, Zune and Hasselhoff stuff
wasn't funny at all and very try-hard IMO.

But my biggest Problem with the movie is that there is almost no reference to the rest of the MCU.
No Thanos, no Infinity Stones, no other Marvel Heroes
. It felt like a filler episode without a connection to the bigger picture.

FinKL

I hope that's not a spoiler :(
My mistake this is definitely the spoiled thread sucks to see it but I couldn't help myself :(

Kasper

Just saw this tonight and while the movie was a lot of fun and the emotional moments worked surprisingly well, I really hated Baby Groot. Thankfully, other than the intro sequence making me dread that the movie would be utter shit, his "funny" antics weren't too bad, and one sequence with him actually worked.

Top Bottom