• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 |OT| Anyone can save the galaxy once - SPOILERS!

phanphare

Banned
oh and holy shit I lost it when taser face was talking to that Sovereign lady and she started laughing at his name. that was probably the funniest bit in the movie.

I just watched it. I like this more than the first movie. Don't get how this is considered a retreading of the first. This felt like a character based movie than a typical by the beats Marvel movie like the first was. Sure it's a comedy with the same characters. But other than that, how is this in any way similar to the first?

Because it uses songs from the 80's?

The Mary Poppins joke had me rolling. The way Rooker delivered that line was perfect.

Also, that Adam name drop, aw yisss. Could Warlock be in Avengers 3?

I feel Gunn went a bit overboard with the amount of licensed music. Felt unnecessary in a few scenes.

One more thing, I was legit shook when Ego said he basically killed Peter's mom. That was so fucking cold, Ego.

I do agree with comments about Baby Groot not having significant impact in Vol.2 as much as he did in GotG1

such as moments like:
a9774c88c7cb8a4a6112d4e286d4cac660e3bfb5_hq.gif

n2jRR7I.gif

We-are-Groot.gif

Exuro

Just came back from seeing it. Wasn't expecting "feels" at the end, which I thought was really well done. Disappointed Rooker is gone now, but the scene was good. Overall thought it was really good and better than the first. Some of the transitions between scenes felt a bit off/jarring though, like Gamora talking to quill and then being outside and nebula quickly showing up.

Was the Stallone group just a nod to the comics or are they thinking about doing something with them? Would be pretty cool to see more of them.

GhaleonEB

Saw it today with my family. We all enjoyed it.

I thought it was disjointed, but the same structure that caused it be disjointed helped the characters, as they could pair off and be given a bit more room to breathe.

To my surprise, I thought Nebula's role in the film was the standout. Understanding her background - Thanos being an asshole during her upbringing - re-contextualized her abilities. In the first Guardians, the scene where she twists back into shape after taking a rocket blast from Drax was kind of awesome. Here, the scene of her re-forming after the ship explosion, they made it look painful, each twist and snap contorting her to the point where I winced. It made her abilities look as much a curse as a blessing. Great bit of visual story telling there.

The scene where Nebula says she just wanted a sister, not someone who wanted to win all the time...fuck that hit home. It's the relationship my daughters have to one another.

I'm semi-familiar with Celestials, so I was surprised to see this one taken down by....a bomb? I thought they were more powerful than that.

A few too many penis and poo jokes (thought Drax's exclamation about how famously huge his turds are got a laugh out of me), but most of the humor landed. I had only seen the first trailer, but I was glad to see how large a proportion of it came from the first act.

I was the only one in my family to know who Ego was, so I had a very different reaction to his introduction. :lol Kurt Russell was really great, and I was glad this role was so large. I was afraid he was going to be a last-act addition.

The emotional beats mostly hit as well, particularly Rocket and Yondu's connection, and the latter's demise. His death scene while Peter is just losing it was incredibly brutal. My younger daughter was sobbing and I got choked up a bit myself. RIP you magnificent blue bastard.

FyreWulff

story hit a bit close to home for me

bio dad is pretty much ego, and stepdad was the one that actually cared but sucks at showing it directly

also Rocket listening to Peter's music all the time was a nice touch.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
To my surprise, I thought Nebula's role in the film was the standout. Understanding her background - Thanos being an asshole during her upbringing - re-contextualized her abilities. In the first Guardians, the scene where she twists back into shape after taking a rocket blast from Drax was kind of awesome. Here, the scene of her re-forming after the ship explosion, they made it look painful, each twist and snap contorting her to the point where I winced. It made her abilities look as much a curse as a blessing. Great bit of visual story telling there.

The scene where Nebula says she just wanted a sister, not someone who wanted to win all the time...fuck that hit home. It's the relationship my daughters have to one another.
Yeah, though I thought her acting was rough. She's Scottish so maybe she had a hard time figuring out a voice for the role or something, but she just didn't sell any of the brooding scenes IMO.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, though I thought her acting was rough. She's Scottish so maybe she had a hard time figuring out a voice for the role or something, but she just didn't sell any of the brooding scenes IMO.

I've seen a few others say the same, thought I don't agree. She got the whole seething with rage bit down pat, but also had a lot of small moments - glances, exchanges - that built out her character a bit. I really liked the scene where she's talking about how Gamora treated her as a kid. I also thought she gave the role enough heft that when she had to intimidate the entire room of those scavenger guys into not laying a finger on her, I bought it. I thought someone was going to try and get demolished as a demonstration, but no one dared. (I liked the restraint in that scene.)

MrMephistoX

The Zune joke was perfect. did not see it coming and it really did work that it wasn't product placement

I think I was the only person who laughed in my theater but god damn I owned that hysterical belly laugh and fuck all y'all who didn't think that shit was funny as hell.

GhaleonEB

I think I was the only person who laughed in my theater but god damn I owned that hysterical belly laugh and fuck all y'all who didn't think that shit was funny as hell.

My wife and I both utterly lost it at the Mary Poppins and Zune jokes. The latter was so unexpected and perfect. (We both had and loved Zunes.)

golem

The Zune joke was perfect. did not see it coming and it really did work that it wasn't product placement

It definitely wasnt product placement because James Gunn actually talked to Microsoft and they wanted nothing to do with it lol-- from the Empire podcast

It definitely wasnt product placement because James Gunn actually talked to Microsoft and they wanted nothing to do with it lol-- from the Empire podcast

So how does that work from a legal standpoint? Are they allowed to use it even though MS didn't express permission?(Or did they hesitantly do it?)

Dalek

He was laughing pretty hard so it was hard to understand but I believe he said MS wanted to just forget that the Zune ever existed.

Paganmoon

I just watched it. I like this more than the first movie. Don't get how this is considered a retreading of the first. This felt like a character based movie than a typical by the beats Marvel movie like the first was. Sure it's a comedy with the same characters. But other than that, how is this in any way similar to the first?

Because it uses songs from the 80's?

Yeah, this was actually one of the things I remarked to my friend while leaving the cinema, how it was funny, without rehashing jokes.

LaNaranja

A few too many penis and poo jokes (thought Drax's exclamation about how famously huge his turds are got a laugh out of me), but most of the humor landed.

This is probably my favorite MCU movie but I definitely noticed this too. James Gunn is absolutely the kind of person that can take that shit too far if he doesn't have someone to keep him in check. That is how we end up with stuff like Lollipop Chainsaw and Beezel. That said I thought Guardians was fine but he definitely seemed to be walking right up to that line. Makes me a little worried about Guardians 3.

Cetra

Just saw it last night. Far and away my favorite marvel film, The Guardians trilogy may end up the crown jewel of the MCU if Gunn and Co. can keep this up for third time.

As good, or better than the first. What a really appreciated was how much of this was a character study on the team. Kurt Russell was great, and probably the best antagonist in the MCU since Loki. The
absent father throughline
was the heart and soul of the film and it very strongly resonated with me like no film has is that regard since Terminator 2.
Peter and Ego playing catch, then Yondu coming through in the end
really sucker punched me right in the gut. But by no means we're the other character arks any less weighty.

I loved the film, and hope we get many more films with these characters as long as Gunn and the Cast are involved.

Also, Drax is a scene stealing machine. Bautista and Rooker deserve supporting actor awards for their work. They were both phenomenal.

The Kree

Banned
I was surprised by how little plot was revealed in the trailers until I watched the movie realized it was because there really is no plot in the movie. It's all character work.

The plot really boils down to Gamora saying "If he's a bad guy, we'll just kill him." LOL

This is probably my favorite MCU movie but I definitely noticed this too. James Gunn is absolutely the kind of person that can take that shit too far if he doesn't have someone to keep him in check. That is how we end up with stuff like Lollipop Chainsaw and Beezel. That said I thought Guardians was fine but he definitely seemed to be walking right up to that line. Makes me a little worried about Guardians 3.
What if Guardians 3 had the team more matured and the one (maybe 2) dick and poop jokes land so much better as a result?

Dalek

As much as I loved the movie I do agree with this.

FyreWulff

yeah, there was spots where it felt like he needed someone to whisper in his ear to stop. On the other hand, 2 feels more like his own unique style. 1 felt like he was told to "shoot it like Avengers" in terms of shot composition/pacing/editing. 2 feels like a truly unique movie all around.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I was surprised by how little plot was revealed in the trailers until I watched the movie realized it was because there really is no plot in the movie. It's all character work.

The plot really boils down to Gamora saying "If he's a bad guy, we'll just kill him." LOL

Yondu fucking shattering the fourth wall and saying "this is not subtext it's text do you hear me you nerds me and Rocket are the same and he shouldn't end up like me" was amazing

GhaleonEB

What if Guardians 3 had the team more matured and the one (maybe 2) dick and poop jokes land so much better as a result?
I think this is in part why the Jackson Pollack line landed so hard in the first Guardians. No one expected a masturbation joke. I do hope they dial that line of humor back a bit.

This film milked laughs out of the word 'penis' being said repeatedly.

yeah, there was spots where it felt like he needed someone to whisper in his ear to stop. On the other hand, 2 feels more like his own unique style. 1 felt like he was told to "shoot it like Avengers" in terms of shot composition/pacing/editing. 2 feels like a truly unique movie all around.

Yeah. There were a lot of moments where I was thinking, this is pretty freaking weird. And I love it.

Also, Peter turning into a rock Pac-Man near the end elicited one of the biggest laughs in our theater. The wakawaka had me giggling for nearly a minute afterwards. What could have been a tone-disrupting scene was perfect because Peter set it up earlier when talking about all the "weird shit" he was going to build. We didn't expect there to be a payoff in that moment and then *pow*.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
So if the movie takes place only a couple months after the first one, why does Stan Lee's cameo make a civil war reference about the Fed ex bit which wouldn't have happened yet?

Are the watchers able to see across time?

My theory is that the Watchers realm transcends space and time. Or that the insane amount of jumps the ship was making broke the space time continuum.

El Topo

I mean, Quill calls Rocket a trash panda. Was that term even around when he was taken from Earth? One really shouldn't take these things too seriously.

Is it my imagination or did they make slight nods to Star Wars and Star Trek? Drax's comments about surviving the asteroid field would require the best pilot in the galaxy (universe?) seemed reminiscent of C3PO telling Han the odds of surviving an asteroid field. Also Yondu's space funeral seemed very reminiscent of Spock's funeral, except Spock wasn't cremated if I remember right. Maybe my mind is seeing things that aren't really there.

Top Bottom