• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 |OT| Anyone can save the galaxy once - SPOILERS!

El Topo

Everything I've read about The Watcher's film rights suggests that Fox owned them. They owned Galactus and Silver Surfer-so it would make sense that they would own The Watcher.

Fox doesn't own them. That said, given their leverage and whatever contract they have with Constantin, for all intents and purposes they are presumably the obstacle in whatever deal Marvel wants to strike.

Edit:
Now I know how Bobby Roberts feels like when he corrects people on the Disney/Lucasfilm thing.

Edit 2:
Completely unrelated, but I find it amusing HC calls the latest FF movie "FF3" in their financial report.

Newline

Just got back from the screening. This film may have the best opening scene out of any MCU film to date. Groot is hilarious throughout the film and holy crap the teaser for vol3 made me excited with regards to him.

Nebula was probably my least favourite part of the movie. Her plot tied into the whole family theme of the movie but most of the time I was just confused why she was lingering in the background, present but not really necessary or closely tied to anything else going on. She was largely irrelevant to the movie and I certainly wouldn't have missed her if that whole thing was cut.

I also didn't enjoy the Ego plot that much either, it was very easy to predict what was going to happen soon after meeting Mantis, the movie needed a bad guy and there really was only one real candidate.

The end of the movie was enjoyable, left on an emotional high and wrapped up quite nicely, I cared about Yondu by the end so I think that was handled very well.

Overall it's a really fun watch, I'd definitely recommend it!

CLEEK

YO HOLD UP.

You're telling me I'm getting:

Ego the Living Planet / Hasselhoff

Original GotG team with Sylvester Stallone

ADAM FUCKING WARLOCK

STAN LEE AS A WATCHER

I came here for spoilers and boy howdy I am not disappointed.

You're missing the best one:

Jeff Goldblum dancing during the end credits.

I thought the death scene at the end was quite well done and the choice of song was good as well. I loved how Kraglin gave Peter a Zune with songs already on it

CLEEK

Wait what

WHAT

The end credits is great. The Guardians theme gets a disco remix and you have snippets of all the characters dancing. The Grandmaster boogies on screen for a few seconds. He's not in the actual film.

As for the movie, first GOTG is my fav MCU film, and Vol 2 falls well short. It's not quite the same drop from Avengers to Ultron. I enjoyed it a lot, but it's not the same quality as 1.

A few overarching issues. From very early in the film, most of the gang are on Ego planet, where they stay for the rest of the film, which limits the locations and variety. The second act on the planet is all exposition and dialogue that tries to be sincere and heartfelt but more often come off cheesy. You know Ego is the big bad, yet it takes ages until his evil reveal. The twist that purposely gave Pete's mum cancer felt pointless and went against everything Ego had been saying about her.

There's lots of spectacle, but the gang have very few moments where they shine as individuals. Rocket taking down the Ravengers was awesome. Gamora using the massive ship cannon as a gun was great. Yondu murdering dozens of his old crew was eye opening. Draw, Groot, Nebula and Mantis were just along for the ride when it came to action.

Cuburt

lol I'm trying not to dive to deep into some of the spoilers here, but I'm loving the spoilers I've gotten like Stan Lee being a Watcher. So meta.

MrBS

Just got back. I enjoyed the first movie for what it was. This one I loathed. My spoiler free review, I would have enjoyed it more if it was an hour shorter.

I can certainly feel the GOTG 1.5 comments. That's not to say it isn't good, it just felt like an extension of the first movie.

Didn't like:
Characters arcs hadn't really progressed between movies and the relationships really stood still throughout the movie.

Some of the threads it felt like they were building (Quill and rocket, Quill and Gamorra (sp?) never went anywhere and felt forgotten by the end.

Villain still had the Marvel tropes of attempting to do something villainous but being stopped before anything happens and thing being nicely wrapped up

It was far less of a world travelling adventure than the first. Most of the movie is between two planets

No evidence of progress towards the next Avengers story or Thanos. In that way the villain is much weaker because he doesn't tie into anything in the overall arc

Story definitely seemed more "Starlord and friends" than "Guardians of the Galaxy". Never read the comics but I always imagined his character just had an equal share of focus. But Pratt is definitely the biggest ticket seller in the cast

Good:
Still funny as hell. Not all the jokes hit but some were hilarious

Groot is goddamn adorable

Yondu gets an absolutely epic power showcase scene. Up there with the time slowing scene in Xmen DOFP

Drax gets a lot more screen time

Lots of Easter eggs for the big marvel fans

Music and visuals absolutely on point

Some unexpected cameos for me. Who was the guy played by Stallone? Does he have his own franchise? I assume so by the way the post credits went

Overall 8/10.
I may seem a bit negative but that's just cause the first was a 10/10 for me. I'd say it is the best "second movie" in the Marvel franchise outside of Winter Soldier

grimmiq

Just got back from seeing it.

The story didn't feel connected to the rest of the MCU, they're in the next Avengers so something has to happen between now and then to tie them to it or I feel the start of that movie will be very messy.

A bit too much baby groot for my liking and some jokes fell a bit flat and felt forced, most were good though.

The cameos were nice and plentiful.Stallone, Ving Rhames, Michelle Yeoh, Hasselhoff.

The whole Ego being a celestial felt a bit off after seeing one (Was it GoTG1 or Thor 2 with showing the celestial killing a bunch of people?), was hoping after he reformed he'd look like one, rather than a pale Kurt Russel.

I'd give it a 7.5/10, not nearly as good as GoTG1, but still very enjoyable.

Poona

Saw it a few hours ago.

A bit meh on this I think? I will rewatch it, and get it on 3d blu-ray (heard the 3d is good but I was just at standard session) as I like Groot and rocket, but I was just expecting more from the film.

The humour and quips and so forth, it just seems forced many times, and that many things are building up so someone can make a joke or sorts. I wish they would take things more seriously. Drax pretty much seems like 100% joke character.

Disappointed they didn't touch more on Rocket's origin and how he met up with Groot. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the second movie would explain more of how Rocket came to be, but they didn't do anything with it.

Didn't really like the ending. It just ended with yondu's funeral, and who knows what they're doing now. Though I guess some of the scenes in the credits helped expand on it a little such as Groot growing older, which seemed to have happened in a short time.

Gleethor

It worries me slightly that the film apparently does fuck all to set up the team going to Earth for Infinity War. I get that it's 4 years prior (apparently) but it's just one more thing in a massive list of things that IW has to accomplish.

LionPride

Banned
It worries me slightly that the film apparently does fuck all to set up the team going to Earth for Infinity War. I get that it's 4 years prior (apparently) but it's just one more thing in a massive list of things that IW has to accomplish.
They're on Earth because Thanos is coming

Boom. There. Problem solved. 5 minute intro scene between Rocket, Drax, Star Lord, Gamora, Cap, Ant-Man, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, and Black Widow along with whoever the fuck else.

Replicant

Those watchers look creepy. Reminds me of those priests in Altered Beast.

I feel that if a film needs to be tied to the Thanos storyline, GOTG2 should have been it. Thanos should have played a role in this (other than being the point of contention between Gamora and Nebula), which lead to Quill and friends to send a message to Earth.

LionPride

Banned
Those watchers look creepy. Reminds me of those priests in Altered Beast.

I feel that if a film needs to be tied to the Thanos storyline, GOTG2 should have been it. Thanos should have played a role in this (other than being the point of contention between Gamora and Nebula), which lead to Quill and friends to send a message to Earth.
That whole do it myself bit happened with Age of Ultron, in 2015. Jesus

Replicant

That whole do it myself bit happened with Age of Ultron, in 2015. Jesus

It needs more imo. I don't want them to dump everything in Infinity War 1. I get that they want each film to be somewhat self-contained but at this point, I feel that most audiences are already in the whole interconnected storyline thing anyway. So I feel that they could have incorporated some parts of the storyline for Thanos in this.

OTOH, at least we now won't have people bitching about how every Marvel film is a set up for the next.

I did feel sorry for Nebula in this and I hope she plays a big part in taking down Thanos in IW.

Khaz

Yo guys, you remember Nathan Fillion cast as the successful actor Simon Williams (and definitely not the powered individual named Wonder Man), supposedly appearing on movie posters? Yeah, I didn't see it either.

I just want Secret Wars to be a movie in the MCU so I can tell everyone who hates on the plot carrying over between movies to go see it and watch them be all confused.

UNTIL SECRET WARS II TWO YEARS LATER

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH

Seriously though, if FF comes back to Marvel for movie rights I would be SO HAPPY.

Quick

Banned
Yo guys, you remember Nathan Fillion cast as the successful actor Simon Williams (and definitely not the powered individual named Wonder Man), supposedly appearing on movie posters? Yeah, I didn't see it either.

His scene was cut. Maybe it'll be on the blu-ray.

Dalek

Adam Warlock

ZLeRVc2.jpg

plufim

I was doing OK not crying at the end but then when Kraglin cried as the Ravengers turned up to give a proper send-off to Yondu, I lost it.

Sean Gunn is a great actor, I loved he got more screen time in this movie. Heck his character is more integral to the plot than Drax.

Not that I'm saying Drax is unecessary. His dialogue was incredible.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Really dig this film, more character-oriented than the first. Has some odd pacing problems at the middle though.

Surprised at the lack of the "MCU" connection unlike the first film's teaser though.

Khaz

Really dig this film, more character-oriented than the first. Has some odd pacing problems at the middle though.

Surprised at the lack of the "MCU" connection unlike the first film's teaser though.

I thought we could see some heroes in the background during the "invasion" stuff.

Pacing was indeed disappointing. Plenty of scenes felt just slightly too long. Like "Oh yeah, THIS is awesome! Yeah, it is awesome... Ok we get it, can we move on now?"

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I thought we could see some heroes in the background during the "invasion" stuff.

Pacing was indeed disappointing. Plenty of scenes felt just slightly too long. Like "Oh yeah, THIS is awesome! Yeah, it is awesome... Ok we get it, can we move on now?"

My pacing problems were mostly from the humor actually, particularly the ones involving Baby Groot.

Renpatsu

They really could have afforded to cut down some of the jokes (Baby Groot attempting to rescue Yondu's fin or some of the Drax humour) in the middle of the movie because it tended to drag down the pacing of the film.

But that being said I'm glad they took the Rocket scene from the first film and essentially imbued the entire sequel with emotion and pathos for the entire cast.

Edit: I like that Gunn opted to unironically include Peter and Ego bonding via a game of catch complete with orchestrated swell.

Just came home from watching it.

It was a blast. My kids like it a lot, and they love Baby Groot.

For me, the movie is better than the first one, but maybe that's because the first one successfully made me care about these characters. Anyway, the theme of family and friendship is a lot stronger in this one. And I think Yondu redeemed himself in the end. And the movie also did a very good job of making me care about him.

And Pac-Man.

I like the side plot and character interaction more than the main plot with Ego.

Rocket and Yondu, Gamora and Nebula is the stand out moment for me. Between Ego and Thanos, not sure which is the worst dad in mcu.

Disappointed that Mantis didn't have much to do.

Top Bottom