• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Mafia |OT| Sometimes You Don't Need A Reason to Lynch Your Friends

franconp

Well there's honestly not too much to go on at this point. I feel like we'll have more to speculate about on Day 2. It's a very nebulous game at the moment, with a lot of variables... But that's where the fun is!

I dunno about that one person trying to claim ignorance of their role though. That seems like a very strange move and it could work out either way for them.

But outside of that, whatcha want my thoughts on?

Your vote on Wee is a little strange. Kinda OMGUS. You already stated is random but I'm still not so sure.

I did asked for your previous experience playing mafia. Did you replied about it?

I'm not sure I like the abrupt push for Fran. Feels very manufactured.

I don't like it either. It feels within character with my limited experience of Dusk Soldier, though, meaning I don't find it necessarily indicative of alignment, but LP's bandwagon ME TOO feels very suspicious.

If he failed to read it, then I hope he is mafia. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy to imagine the scum team freaking out in the background, yelling at the member who just won't join up properly.

I suppose I feel that making him a main lynch target is doing a policy lynch, rather than a scum hunting lynch, and while I do support those on occasion, I prefer to do a scum hunting lynch.

Same. I'd like to think of the mafia team's board just filling up with expletives. But the latter point is what I find frustrating. That's the only real outcome, right? We probably SHOULD vote for a player who is in some ways announcing that he's not really playing to the letter, except as long as there's another lynch candidate we should look there instead, because the risk/reward of going after Zubz based on this isn't really in our favor.

But then again, we can't say if it's a scum-hunting lynch at all because it's a big fucking unknown. I'll say this - it's a problem for town and therefore it's a boost to scum even if it's a problem for them as well, so I'd put him #2 on my current list even in terms of scum-hunting for that reason alone.

I don't like it either. It feels within character with my limited experience of Dusk Soldier, though, meaning I don't find it necessarily indicative of alignment, but LP's bandwagon ME TOO feels very suspicious.

Same. I'd like to think of the mafia team's board just filling up with expletives. But the latter point is what I find frustrating. That's the only real outcome, right? We probably SHOULD vote for a player who is in some ways announcing that he's not really playing to the letter, except as long as there's another lynch candidate we should look there instead, because the risk/reward of going after Zubz based on this isn't really in our favor.

But then again, we can't say if it's a scum-hunting lynch at all because it's a big fucking unknown. I'll say this - it's a problem for town and therefore it's a boost to scum even if it's a problem for them as well, so I'd put him #2 on my current list even in terms of scum-hunting for that reason alone.

Agreed with everything you say here. But after work I still plan to work on a good #1 for my own list, based on my scum hunting.

Your vote on Wee is a little strange. Kinda OMGUS. You already stated is random but I'm still not so sure.

I did asked for your previous experience playing mafia. Did you replied about it?

I didn't notice the ask about my previous experience. Well, I've played it in real life a couple times and I've done some Town of Salem. Nothing like a big forum based game that takes place over days, though, so the dynamics here are totally different.

Regarding the vote: Well, see, at the time, I didn't understand why novoting was bad. This is due to the changed meta of forum-based Mafia. As a lack of understanding there carried on, I saw Wee's response to it as bizzare and voted for him. However, now that I understand more about the meta, I understand the situation in general, but nevertheless have not been presented with much reason to change my vote yet, since a vote here is as good as a vote anywhere else from what I've seen.

nin1000

Banned
Yeah, I think prodding's the ideal solution. There's a method to my blindness, but I don't want to waste discussion on it. And Cewyn's post count is super low, while Dusk Soldier's & Launchpad's are relatively low.

Dusk is on there twice, btw.

Sorry about that. I thought about cutting dusk From that list since the posts he made were at least from good content. Added him again just to realize that he had not been cut from my list at all.

Zubz

Banned
Speaking of not editing posts, I was going through CornBurrito's relatively small count of 8 votes, 2 of them are spent on a botched vote on Launchpad via what I presume to be a randomizer. So it's worth noting that CB only has 7 posts, which seems uncharacteristic based on the Ace Attorney game.

Karkador

Banned
Posting in the thread IS confirmation. I find it unlikely the mod will reply to this question any further. I confirmed only by posting in this thread, for instance, rather than replying to the role PM. Although I at least glanced at mine. :) But since this could be a player gambit, it just needs to be judged on its own merits.

I don't see it as much of a gambit.

He claims he didn't look at the PM.

What that effectively means is that he can't tell us what his role or alignment is. However, that doesn't amount to much of a difference from any other player who isn't going to share their role info with us.

What does he gain? The clearance that he can change course in his rhetoric sometime down the road, because he decided to finally look at the PM? That isn't much different from any other flimsy explanation a player might use to explain their erratic behavior.

Do I believe zubz skipped reading his role PM? I have heard some players recommend that as a way to be more calm/seem more town on day one. Possibly it was on mafia universe? I am not sure I believe he didn't. I don't see it as a thought-out play.

If he failed to read it, then I hope he is mafia. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy to imagine the scum team freaking out in the background, yelling at the member who just won't join up properly.

If he's somehow split from communicating with the mafia team, they would still know he's with them from the beginning, and this move would be practically telegraphing something between them.

On the other hand, he may even be a lost partner/recruitable mafia, in which case the telegraphing is to suggest recruitment.

Either way, I don't really see this as a reason for mafia to panic. A recruitable mafia player is probably not essential to their team having a fair shot (in terms of game balance).

He can confirm receiving it but he didn't bothered opening it.

I really think this is unlikely.

I am tempted to vote for fran based on that one observation by another player, but I will dwell on that for now.

Why are you inclined to believe/agree that franconp is showboating and scum-guiding rather than scum-hunting? We can't see your dwelling, so please do share.

Why are you inclined to believe/agree that franconp is showboating and scum-guiding rather than scum-hunting? We can't see your dwelling, so please do share.
When I played as scum before I tend to post stuff that makes it feel like I'm contributing but I'm not, offering pros and cons while ultimately not committing on anything. A fence-sitting post.

Truth be told I was actually not going to read my role PM but I got excited. When I opened my role PM at first I thought I was scum, then I realized I wasn't when I read the contents. Also, it was brief.

Wouldn't the mod prod Zubz and tell him to join the OuterGafia scum chat for his group if he is indeed scum? Or would it be a valid playstyle? I know people hate it when I'm evil on Avalon and I don't open my eyes.

nin1000

Banned
I am tempted to vote for fran based on that one observation by another player, but I will dwell on that for now.

Vote out someone that is at least trying to stirr up discussion ? I don't want to be that guy but that's just a dumb move. For now at least.

Kevyt

Just want to point out and push these players to say a tad more and share their thoughts on today

Cewyn 2p
CornBurrito 8p
Dusk Soldier 8p
isaacnukem 7p
Kalor 5p
kitsunelaine 9p
LaunchpadMcQ 9p
Lone_Prodigy 4
NeckToChicken 8p
rac 8p
Dusk Soldier 8p

Uh hmmm.

A great start of the day dare I say. I don't think I have much to speculate about today. But I am happy there are no crazy claims yet that harm town more than help.

I do think Kark is a strong town this game. His posts are interesting but I am conflicted about the no Lynch. Maybe it's just a prod.

Vote out someone that is at least trying to stirr up discussion ? I don't want to be that guy but that's just a dumb move. For now at least.
Voting on D1 is hard. Sorry. I'll leave this up to everyone, but I'm leaving my vote o the unfortunate fellow I cast it on.

When I played as scum before I tend to post stuff that makes it feel like I'm contributing but I'm not, offering pros and cons while ultimately not committing on anything. A fence-sitting post.

Can you point to a post of fran's that does this? I know you play on mobile and linking isn't super great but you can give us a number or summarize or something. Further: can you tell us why we shouldn't read you in this way? Fence-sitting. Makes it feel like you're contributing but not actually offering much. etc.

Can you point to a post of fran's that does this? I know you play on mobile and linking isn't super great but you can give us a number or summarize or something. Further: can you tell us why we shouldn't read you in this way? Fence-sitting. Makes it feel like you're contributing but not actually offering much. etc.
Well, you're free to point out if I'm sitting on the fence but I'm quite confident that I haven't done it yet. I'll look the post up...

Well, you're free to point out if I'm sitting on the fence but I'm quite confident that I haven't done it yet. I'll look the post up...

"I might vote for this person for some reasons but I dunno yet" is pretty much the definition of fence-sitting and looking active, my friend.

"I might vote for this person for some reasons but I dunno yet" is pretty much the definition of fence-sitting and looking active, my friend.
Only one reason. Also, while I do think you're right that I'm sitting on a fence right now, it's on a matter of little importance to everyone else since it doesn't seem like fran or karkador will likely get lynched. I'm not even sure fran's the one that made the post that got someone's attention, it could be that nin person.

Zubz

Banned
There is one way we can be sure Zubz will read his PM.

Are you trying that same edgy threat that... Someone? tried yesterday? Because I'll just bail the thread. No reveal means no reveal!

Ask him ?

Zubz did you read your pm ?

Please tell the truth

... That said, we really are wasting time on what should've been a quick gambit. So yes, I read my Role. Ruin my fun, why don't you?

franconp

Are you trying that same edgy threat that... Someone? tried yesterday? Because I'll just bail the thread. No reveal means no reveal!

... That said, we really are wasting time on what should've been a quick gambit. So yes, I read my Role. Ruin my fun, why don't you?

So it was a gambit. What did you expected to be the payoff from it? That's what I'm trying to understand.

Nah, don't put that off on everyone else. It's a situation you created, so own it. You had to know it would stir some shit. It's day one. It's shit-stirry.

Got the post. So it was actually fran suspecting nin. Here it is:

Long time since we played together Nin. Something more to add, because this post is basically nothing. It's the kind of post that I would expect from scum to make when they want to look cooperative but without raising to many flags.

I didn't notice the ask about my previous experience. Well, I've played it in real life a couple times and I've done some Town of Salem. Nothing like a big forum based game that takes place over days, though, so the dynamics here are totally different.

Regarding the vote: Well, see, at the time, I didn't understand why novoting was bad. This is due to the changed meta of forum-based Mafia. As a lack of understanding there carried on, I saw Wee's response to it as bizzare and voted for him. However, now that I understand more about the meta, I understand the situation in general, but nevertheless have not been presented with much reason to change my vote yet, since a vote here is as good as a vote anywhere else from what I've seen.

It's not. The foolish masses manning that canon are only priming themselves for a misfire. Bizarre.

That's indeed true and at the end of the day I can't blame anyone for now .
Thanks!

So it was a gambit. What did you expected to be the payoff from it? That's what I'm trying to understand.
I did it before because I always wanted to be a townie and if in the case I drew scum or rogue I'd still believe I was a townie helping root out scum. Also, makes your townie play more believable if you believe in yourself that you're town.

nin1000

Banned

In his defense. My post was rather poor and not really thought out.
His way of playing can come off as agressive sometime I certainly can understand why someone would vote for him because if that.
In my eyes he does not seem to be scum just because of that.
I know I am leaning very far out of a window because of this statement I made. But what the hell.

franconp

Did you miss the posts where Nin admited that he worded the post wrong and made a better explanation later? Maybe someone can point you to them as I'm on mobile.

Also, just so you know, that's called proding. You don't need a vote to do it. You can just pressure people to give more reads that way.

nin1000

Banned
We'll let yuck decide that
This yuck ?
tumblr_nm5y9pQVwR1r68z3eo1_500.jpg

It's not. The foolish masses manning that canon are only priming themselves for a misfire. Bizarre.

You can not vote if you're not sure whom to vote for. Voting No Lynch is just going to get people spending a day talking about why they do or do not hate voting No Lynch. As you know.

Got the post. So it was actually fran suspecting nin.
Ah. Wasn't sure because what you said made it sound like you were agreeing with Dusk Soldier, who voted fran. Others already addressed the nin post so I won't.

I'm gonna go ahead and:

vote: Lone_Prodigy

Joke vote on CB, who's also circling scum radar, me-tooing a fran vote without voting so it doesn't look like he's bandwagoning but he has justification later if he tries to push fran into the volcano, just general scummy behavior.

franconp

Hey doggo, you were playing the game. I almost forgot about it. Some insight please.

What do you think about this recent push against me?

Also what do you think about Acohrs? Isn't he playing really cautious? More than he usually is?

nin1000

Banned
Sorry to say that fat, but even though you made a lot of posts. I can't really grasp you and the quality of those posts are rather poor.

Top Bottom