• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC poll: Trump continues to lead the GOP field after 1st debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching the debate, it becomes more and more apparent how much of a popularity contest these things seem to be. Trump really had a horrible " debate " to be honest, with only 1 line that was a good zinger. Other then that he just had horrible ideas left and right, like building a giant WALL. A HUGE WALL or whatever. Good luck getting something like that built. He then dodges how almost all his companies have gone bankrupt and then he dodges how he stated he had specific evidence that Mexico was sending criminals purposefully to the US. It was just a horrible showing by Trump, which was more then expected tbh, but seeing his numbers rise after such a showing just goes to show either the polls are pure BS ( which is my theory really ) or this country is just all about style and nothing about substance these days.

But I think we are now a tabloid society, and Trump is a headline creator, so his rising numbers despite horrible substance is actually proof of that.

Scoops

Banned
Trump is going to devour Fiorina's soul and her support.

Yeah honestly I think if Trump lost any support it went to Cruz and Fiorina, but that's a 20% he could potentially gain.

Fiorina's business record is pretty terrible. No way Trump lets her get away with that at the next debate. They've already started fueding:

Donald J. Trump ✔@realDonaldTrump
I just realized that if you listen to Carly Fiorina for more than ten minutes straight, you develop a massive headache. She has zero chance!
3:06 PM - 9 Aug 2015 · New Jersey, USA, United States
3,299 3,299 Retweets 7,332 7,332 favorites

After watching the debate, it becomes more and more apparent how much of a popularity contest these things seem to be. Trump really had a horrible " debate " to be honest, with only 1 line that was a good zinger. Other then that he just had horrible ideas left and right, like building a giant WALL. A HUGE WALL or whatever. Good luck getting something like that built. He then dodges how almost all his companies have gone bankrupt and then he dodges how he stated he had specific evidence that Mexico was sending criminals purposefully to the US. It was just a horrible showing by Trump, which was more then expected tbh, but seeing his numbers rise after such a showing just goes to show either the polls are pure BS ( which is my theory really ) or this country is just all about style and nothing about substance these days.

But I think we are now a tabloid society, and Trump is a headline creator, so his rising numbers despite horrible substance is actually proof of that.

He's such a horrible politician that it's actually having the opposite effect of making him more popular, because I guess people want to see a "horrible politician" leading the polls.

At the end of the day there's really nothing redeemable about Trump. He's nowhere near "anti-establishment" as people like to think he is. He's still an old rich white male, buying off politicians and engaging in corrupt behavior. He's very much representative of the "establishment" people say they hate. The only thing that makes him stand out at the moment is that he has zero verbal filter. Some people think that's actually something to be proud of, but that shit isn't going to fly anywhere.

We're still well within the clown-shoes part of the GOP primaries. It's always a circus, and this election cycle is no different. People thinking Trump is a serious contender aren't thinking this through. The man still has no record, no experience, no platform, is corrupt as fuck, and flings shit for the sake of attention. He's every bit as unelectable as he was the day he waddled down his escalator to vomit some crap about Mexicans.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Yeah honestly I think if Trump lost any support it went to Cruz and Fiorina, but that's a 20% he could potentially gain.

Fiorina's business record is pretty terrible. No way Trump lets her get away with that at the next debate. They've already started fueding:

Donald J. Trump ✔@realDonaldTrump
I just realized that if you listen to Carly Fiorina for more than ten minutes straight, you develop a massive headache. She has zero chance!
3:06 PM - 9 Aug 2015 · New Jersey, USA, United States
3,299 3,299 Retweets 7,332 7,332 favorites

He's already begun the hunt, right now Trump is just stalking his prey. He is waiting for the right time to strike out and devour her soul.

This makes no sense at all.

Trump is by far the most center in the field. I took a quiz and trump was the closest republican candidate to my views.

This cycle makes no sense as a whole, I really do think we're witnessing the deal of the GOP as we know it.

This makes no sense at all.

Trump is by far the most center in the field. I took a quiz and trump was the closest republican candidate to my views.

That quiz was made before the debate. He said he was no longer in favor of those liberal ideas, and he has changed his mind. He is most likely lying, but that is what he said.

creatchee

There may be some truth to that, but Fox News was pretty damn popular under Bush too...

Fox News' audience of angry/annoyed conservatives will remain intact, regardless of who wins the election. I don't think Fox News wants another president who considers them to be an illegitamite news media and won't give them the time of day. Every year they are shunned by the president is another year they lose relevance. It may entrench the die-hard followers to some effect, but their viewership has to suffer overall.

vJgmtCs.jpg

Dat 2007-2009 spike though.

New PPP Iowa Poll

Trump - 19
Walker - 12
Carson - 12
Bush - 11
Fiorina - 10
Cruz - 9
Huckabee - 6
Rubio - 6
Kasich - 3
Paul - 3

Jindal - 2
Perry - 2
Santorum - 2
Christie - 1
Gilmore - <1
Graham - <1
Pataki - 0

41 percent of the vote is going to people who have never held a public office of note, Trump, Carson and Fiorina. What these polls show is that many Americans are so fed up with an obviously broken system that they would rather have unqualified people in office than the same old politicians. I understand the feeling.

Wizman23

Banned
Not from de US here. If Trump wins isn't like really, really bad news for all?

It doesn't matter who the president is. As long as my paycheck keeps coming every other Friday I couldn't care less. If Trump gets the Republican nomination I am 100% voting for him for the lulz.

Sianos

Rubio's remarkably overdrawn plan to ban all abortion even in the case of rape, incest, mother's life at stake, etc. will be quite detrimental to his ability to capture the crucial women's vote in a general election and will make for quite an effective attack ad against him - his comments about Hilary's superior qualifications are also easy to turn against him.

What do you guys think about the tax change ideas being thrown about in the debate?

There was the flat tax on consumables
The 10% " tithe " tax idea
I believe another was the proportional tax rate. You make more, you are taxed more, you make less, you are taxed less ( which is how it is now really yeah? )

I'm trying to think of which I liked the most. If any at all. I kind of liked the tax on consumables idea as then you would get tax money from really everyone, including illegals and such. So that could potentially be a pretty good way of bringing in additional income.

I don't think I really have an issue with the current tax system besides Social Security. I have no faith that 30+ years from now when I'm of age to start receiving SS that it will even be around anymore, so I'd rather that be a choice rather then mandatory.

Scoops

Banned
What do you guys think about the tax change ideas being thrown about in the debate?

There was the flat tax on consumables
The 10% " tithe " tax idea
I believe another was the proportional tax rate. You make more, you are taxed more, you make less, you are taxed less ( which is how it is now really yeah? )

I'm trying to think of which I liked the most. If any at all. I kind of liked the tax on consumables idea as then you would get tax money from really everyone, including illegals and such. So that could potentially be a pretty good way of bringing in additional income.

I don't think I really have an issue with the current tax system besides Social Security. I have no faith that 30+ years from now when I'm of age to start receiving SS that it will even be around anymore, so I'd rather that be a choice rather then mandatory.

We have a progressive tax system where rich people are taxed a higher %. Proportional would mean people are all taxed the same % which would lead to people that have higher incomes being taxed more total dollars but not at a higher rate like they are now.

arevin01

I wouldn't mind Trump as my president but I might be afraid what might happen at international meetings with foreign world leaders. They wouldn't take his insults lightly.

wildfire

Banned
That quiz was made before the debate. He said he was no longer in favor of those liberal ideas, and he has changed his mind. He is most likely lying, but that is what he said.

You don't flip most of your views within 2 years. He's lying and the Republican masses who aren't rich will praise him as their version of Jesus.

If he plays his cards right he can get votes from a minority of democrats as well and push him over the edge.

He's such a horrible politician that it's actually having the opposite effect of making him more popular, because I guess people want to see a "horrible politician" leading the polls.

They aren't interested in a horrible politician. They want someone to stand up for them against their enemies, the liberals, minorities, muslims, and the establishment GOP who have done nothing for them at getting control of the Presidency.

BigDug13

41 percent of the vote is going to people who have never held a public office of note, Trump, Carson and Fiorina. What these polls show is that many Americans are so fed up with an obviously broken system that they would rather have unqualified people in office than the same old politicians. I understand the feeling.

Isn't that what America basically decided in 2008 as well? Obama was barely a pup in national politics when he ran and won the presidency. He was one of the furthest away from establishment candidates that were there while still seemingly having a decent amount of qualification for the job.

Haven't declared war on Pakistan you say? The U.S. hasnt declared war since December 8th 1941. In that time we have fought major wars in Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq twice, not to mention smaller wars from Panama to Somalia, Bosnia and Libya. There are bigger and smaller wars to be sure but one thing is certain Obama did not end the war in Iraq. All that bullshit about coalitions and legitimate versus illegitimate doesn't mean anything. Obamas crowning achievement, ending the Iraq war never fucking happened, it's not over and that is his choice and you trying to use tortured logic to the contrary doesn't change that fact. Obama is nearly as bad as Bush when it comes to continuing needless overseas military action. The U.S. has been bombing Iraq almost continuously since 1991, look at what it's got us: millions of refugees, hundreds of thousands of dead Iraqis, thousands of dead soldiers, tens of thousands of maimed soldiers, 9-11, Al Qaeda and ISIS and you don't want to call it a war? Sorry to offend your gentle sensibilities.

You're arguing that nothing has changed re: our involvement in Iraq since 2007 when I posted numbers showing that this is blatantly untrue. We still have a presence there, yes, mostly to put out fires that we started and to put down a terrorist group we empowered when we actually went to war against the people of Iraq.

Factually, if John McCain had been elected, we'd still have 150k plus troops over there today. He guaranteed it. Both sides have never been the same.

FuuRe

As a non US resident, i find all things Trump related fascinating, and it looks there's nothing but greatness in the way as he won't step down if he loses the primary.

You can say whatever about him, but boy does he knows how to hype an audience or what.

He's also an egomaniacal and might be doing all this only for himself, but in order to do so he needs to truly "make america great again" first, and he's not a moron, if anything, he is already aware of what must be done to reach higher than anyone, and at the moment, he's been getting extremely good results with his antics.

The fact he has totally pissed Fox News is a strong enough sign of his strenght.

4Tran

Isn't that what America basically decided in 2008 as well? Obama was barely a pup in national politics when he ran and won the presidency. He was one of the furthest away from establishment candidates that were there while still seemingly having a decent amount of qualification for the job.
Not really. Obama first became noted nationally during the 2004 DNC keynote. While his political career wasn't very well known to the general public in 2008, he was noted by the Democratic establishment. Clinton may have been their preferred candidate, but Obama was a perfectly acceptable alternative.

Trump is in a very different position since the Republican establishment doesn't like him at all, and they've been trying to bring him down. Their inability to do so is creating a rift in the party the likes of which haven't been seen for a long time. The beauty of all of this is that there are plenty of avenues for attacking Trump and his positions, but all of these only work with non-Republicans, and so they've been ineffective so far.

aTTckr

The thing I love the most about the Trump candidacy is how the media is completely unable to understand why he is leading the polls. With every xenophobic, misogynistic statement the members of the press think this has to be the remark that ends his chances, when in reality they are the reason he continues to surge. I find it incredible how much you have to be caught up in mainstream thinking in order to advise Trump before the debate to tone it down and adopt a more mellow, "presidential" style. It's always astonishing to see how people (even smart ones) just can't see outside the bubble they live and work in.

Trump probably is going to win Iowa and NH if things stay the same right now.

Nah, Walker's ground game in Iowa means he's winning there unless the fundies all rise up for Huckabee en masse like in 2008.

I don't know who is winning NH, but I give Bush the best odds as the closest approximation to an old school New England Republican (that actually has a chance) in this race.

Konka

Banned
Nah, Walker's ground game in Iowa means he's winning there unless the fundies all rise up for Huckabee en masse like in 2008.

I don't know who is winning NH, but I give Bush the best odds as the closest approximation to an old school New England Republican (that actually has a chance) in this race.

The "fundies" are backing Trump right now, as are moderates, men and women in Iowa.

New PPP Iowa Poll

Trump - 19
Walker - 12
Carson - 12
Bush - 11
Fiorina - 10
Cruz - 9
Huckabee - 6
Rubio - 6
Kasich - 3
Paul - 3

Jindal - 2
Perry - 2
Santorum - 2
Christie - 1
Gilmore - <1
Graham - <1
Pataki - 0
They hating on Graham and his confirmed bachelorness. They don't want him taking thier "women"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom