• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Exclusive Revealed Next Week On GTTV (Superbot's PS All-Stars)

Isn't it kinda dangerous to be exclusive to Sony?

3bcbc8a867a97dabd29a9c12d9ef989107da9587.gif

Now being exclusive to microsoft on the other hand...

Are those developers independent? I'm not trying to be rude... honest question.

Why does it matter if they're independent or not? Bottom line is if Sony is their publisher, they're still footing the bill. Being independent just means that in the future they can choose a different publisher for other games if they so desire.

botty

Banned
Why does it matter if they're independent or not? Bottom line is if Sony is their publisher, they're still footing the bill. Being independent just means that in the future they can choose a different publisher for other games if they so desire.

That's the thing that I find weird... why shout sony devotion if you don't have to?

Are those developers independent? I'm not trying to be rude... honest question.

Not rude, but Media Molecule and Sucker Punch were independent and since have been bought. Quantic Dream and Thatgamecompany are independent as well and have had great success and have made multiple games for Sony.

Edit: Come to think of it Naught Dog was independent at one point as well but were bought by Sony as well in the PS2 years. Correct me if I am wrong.

KingK

Yea in my head I am kicking around the idea of whether it would be Smash Bros. or Power Stone style (Power Stone please!), but fear that it will be just another 2D fighting game in the vein of Marvel vs Capcom or Street Fighter. That has it's fans and I am sure some here would love that, but I would really prefer a Power Stone sytle or Smash Bros.

As to my last post. Come on, it was in jest and just trying to make light of the topic at hand. The fact that I am posting here now shows that I too am hyped lol. I am not expecting a lot from the reveal though, whereas, I think some are expecting a lot (full roster list, full stage names, online details, etc) and will be greatly disappointed.

I don't think anybody is expecting that much. I'm expecting maybe a couple minutes of gameplay and a short trailer, only showing a couple stages and maybe like the 5 most obvious characters (Kratos, Nathan Drake, Sackboy, etc.).

But that's still enough to get me super fucking hyped. I've been waiting for a game like this for nearly 10 years, goddammit. I just hope they nail it and don't fuck it up. I'm a little cautiously optimistic that it will be good based on the pedigree of the employees (ex Naughty Dog and Santa Monica people).

Also, I definitely agree that it should be more casual Smash bros or Power stone style rather than MvC or Street Fighter. I suck at those games and lose interest pretty quickly, but Smash Bros Melee probably has more play time for me than any other game ever created.

Edit: Come to think of it Naught Dog was independent at one point as well but were bought by Sony as well in the PS2 years. Correct me if I am wrong.
Yeah, they were bought like either right after or before they shipped the original Jak and Daxter.

ReaperXL7

Not rude, but Media Molecule and Sucker Punch were independent and since have been bought. Quantic Dream and Thatgamecompany are independent as well and have had great success and have made multiple games for Sony.

I think David Cage has made statements before about wanting to be bought by Sony, if he is making comments like that I would think you could probably consider Quantic Dream pretty much first party, although of course right now they are not.

That's the thing that I find weird... why shout sony devotion if you don't have to?

They wouldn't be able to make the game they're working on, filled with Sony IP, if they weren't exclusive. Releasing a new IP as a new studio is probably a lot more risky than building an exclusive game featuring a bunch of established characters.

botty

Banned

Ahh, I see. So they could potentially get picked up by Sony if everything works out.

Raonak

Banned

Sony own a bunch of first party studios. this means any IP they produce, they own.
sony also publish games from some third parties, in most cases, because they published the game (meaning they paid for development) they also own the IP.
heres a list of IPs owned by sony

Interms of this game:
since sony owns the rights to all the sony characters, they choose which platforms the game can appear on. so it's highly unlikely that this would appear on a non sony platform.

KingK

Ahh, I see. So they could potentially get picked up by Sony if everything works out.

Yeah, that's a good possibility. Sony seems to support a lot of new independent developers by publishing their games and funding their projects, and then buy them up as a first party studio if they prove themselves to be worthy.

Insomniac was the same way, and probably got a lot of offers to be purchased by Sony but they decided they'd rather go mulitplatform. They seem like the exception though, because a lot of others like Media Molecule, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, etc. ended up getting bought by Sony.

I think Evolution studios might have been independent at one point as well? Or were they always owned by Sony?

Huff

Banned

That or they are a new untested developer. They would have a hard time pitching projects to other publishers.

This gives them a chance to put out a game and then go from there. Although Sony may have a multiple game deal with them before they can branch out.

Hex

Banned

I love this part.
This is where the whole dead pan "no really, I have nothing against Sony I just do not get on the internets much so I am curious" bit comes in?
Such a great way to pass the time until GTTV

Top Bottom