• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Resident Evil 6 Info: Splitscreen, Co-Op/Online Info, Run/Fire, Demo, Ash/Sherry?

Snaku

Banned
Technically the T-Virus does more than zombies. It makes giant and/or zombie animals, combined with genetic mutation will create creatures like Hunters and the plant monsters, will mutate zombies into Lickers after enough time has passed, and if the subject has the right genetic makeup they'll become Tyrants (which is what the "T" in T-Virus stands for).

Don't forget Crimson Heads.

If you'd played RE5, you'd know this has already happened. (okay they were Majini but close enough)

Right, but aren't these T-Virus zombies?

T-virus was designed to create Tyrants. But very few people actually turn into Tyrants, most just turn into zombies. So if we have zombies, we will have Tyrants.

Yeah, I'd say we're gonna be fighting actual dudes in this. Or at least close enough- probably soldiers with weak strains of Plagas. If the villagers in Spain can still wield farm tools and chainsaws under Plagas influence, no reason a soldier couldn't use a gun.

What were Lickers like in RE5? Scary much?

Yeah, I'd say we're gonna be fighting actual dudes in this. Or at least close enough- probably soldiers with weak strains of Plagas. If the villagers in Spain can still wield farm tools and chainsaws under Plagas influence, no reason a soldier couldn't use a gun.

There was one room where they were scary (probably the scariest part of RE5) but then after that not so much.

It's a room and long hallway filled with Lickers in glass cages. They're blind, so you have to be very quiet and not make any noise or they'll break out.

Snaku

Banned
In Leon's portion yeah they're zombies, but we've already seen Chris fighting what appear to be, if not regular humans, then Plagas-infected humans, who are firing assault rifles at him.

Why even bother making them Plagas-infected then? The fun in fighting them was in managing their numbers, avoiding close quarter attacks, and shooting their long range attacks out of the sky. Giving them automatic weapons and taking taking cover to pop & shoot is almost as bad as reducing an El Gigante fight to a turret shooter.

MooMoo

There was one room where they were scary (probably the scariest part of RE5) but then after that not so much.

It's a room and long hallway filled with Lickers in glass cages. They're blind, so you have to be very quiet and not make any noise or they'll break out.
Definitely one of my favorite parts of RE5. Even moreso if you play that section using only a stun rod :p

That actually sounds pretty creepy. :lol I suppose that's what the MvC3 RE stage is based on. I guess they'll be back for sure in RE6, they're too classic an enemy to not turn up.

Man, I want Regenerators back too.

Why even bother making them Plagas-infected then? The fun in fighting them was in managing their numbers, avoiding close quarter attacks, and shooting their long range attacks out of the sky. Giving them automatic weapons and taking taking cover to pop & shoot is almost as bad as reducing an El Gigante fight to a turret shooter.

Well, for story reasons, it's so the bio-terrorism groups can control their men more easily. They'll have a Saddler-esque leader, no doubt. Gameplay reason, yeah, I kinda agree with you. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The G-virus was more badass and more awesome but for some reason Capcom kept going back to the T-virus.

The G-virus was more badass and more awesome but for some reason Capcom kept going back to the T-virus.

There's only so much you can do with a virus that makes a nigh-invincible bunch of eyeballs and arms and whose sole goal in life is to reproduce via tentacle rape incest.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Lickers weren't that potent in RE 5 outside of mercenaries mode. They weren't placed anywhere strategically to give the player a real headache. By the time you reach them in the game, you'll have more than enough ammo between the two of them to kill off the hordes.

There was one moment that was pretty cool with them, though.

benzy

I think Leon's redesign made to appeal more to Western sensibilities, compared to RE4 Leon who's a bishie Japanese pretty boy.

I think he looks manly as fuck. More Holloway, less Gosling.

re1.jpg

The hell is he doing in Silent Hill?

silent-hill-downpour.jpg

Sagitario

There's only so much you can do with a virus that makes a nigh-invincible bunch of eyeballs and arms and whose sole goal in life is to reproduce via tentacle rape incest.

Don't worry. I am sure there is more than enough fanfic about it. Can't be that bad compared to the official thing.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

It says a lot about RE5 or my memory that I had actually forgotten Lickers were in that game.

Carbonox

The Lickers were shit in Resident Evil 5. Zero challenge or terror apart from the tense moment in the glass area.

The Hunters would have been much more suitable enemies given their agility. Nothing tops the Hunters from RE1. Those bastards were just that, bastards.

The T-virus was cool precisely because of the implication (which was repeated, slightly, with Las Plagas) that the virus itself might have been intelligent.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Lickers were shit in Resident Evil 5. Zero challenge or terror apart from the tense moment in the glass area.

The Hunters would have been much more suitable enemies given their agility. Nothing tops the Hunters from RE1. Those bastards were just that, bastards.

REmake Hunters are just... scary. :(

Boney

Banned

I'm sorry but that room was pretty stupid cause there was no reason to be loud, you could just walk and and be done with it.

But I'm a daredevil so I shot the glass cage and killed them all.

K1LLER7

RE4 had the best enemies imo. They introduced the chainsaw enemies and then the best was the wolverine-like enemy you meet in the
mansion prisons
. So many good things in the game, hard to top.

In RE5 the beetle(?) enemies were pretty good, better than the lickers.

Beth Cyra

I would really love for them to bring back the Self Defense weapons from Remake.

Honestly, they were probably the best thing ever added, it was so awesome to have a Hunter jump Chris only to have you slam a knife in the side of it's head, or shove a nade in a Zombie's mouth and then blow it up with a pistol round.

Best feature in RE to never get used again. A damn shame.

Carbonox

RE4 had the best enemies imo. They introduced the chainsaw enemies and then the best was the wolverine-like enemy you meet in the
mansion prisons
. So many good things in the game, hard to top.

In RE5 the beetle(?) enemies were pretty good, better than the lickers.

Resident Evil 4 did have some great enemies. 'It' was a great and lengthy boss fight. The invisible bugs were intimidating also.

I thought the bugs in Resident Evil 5 were crap. OHKO's all over the place plus stupid Capcom "shoot the weak spot" nonsense. Weren't fun to fight at all. I like a challenging enemy but they pulled some silly things with this one.

In-fact, Resident Evil 5's enemies as a whole were pretty uninspired and shite.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I would really love for them to bring back the Self Defense weapons from Remake.

Honestly, they were probably the best thing ever added, it was so awesome to have a Hunter jump Chris only to have you slam a knife in the side of it's head, or shove a nade in a Zombie's mouth and then blow it up with a pistol round.

Best feature in RE to never get used again. A damn shame.

2nd best feature.

Crimson Heads.

In-fact, Resident Evil 5's enemies as a whole were pretty uninspired and shite.
While I agree with this, I kind of like the Executioner. Even though he sort of takes after the chainsaw guys, he always felt super threatening lugging that axe around and destroying everything in his path to get to you.

Beth Cyra

Fuck yeah.

Lisa Trevor was such a brilliant addition also. The encounters were horrific and terrifying.

God bless REmake.

Pretty much everything added to Remake was amazing. Thing is outside of maybe Crimson Heads SDW's were the one thing that made sense to take foward in other games and it got left behind.

Ithil

Crimson Heads are scary, but they're slightly ruined by my first ever encounter with one. Creeping around the mansion, terrified, armed with the pistol and only a tiny bit of ammo, in the corridor with the arrowhead and the mirror, where there's a dormant crimson head at the start of the game, who doesn't come alive until you've done a certain amount of things.

So I walk past him to the door, he springs up from the ground, I go "oh shit!", spin on the spot to face him, fire a single potshot at him....and blow his head clean off.

Huh.

Not that great a first impression. Lisa Trevor gave me fucking nightmares though.

KorrZ

You know all this Resident Evil discussion going on here over the past couple days has really made me want to watch Gametrailers RE Retrospective again:

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/resident-evil-retrospective/10620

It's very well done. Makes me miss the older games though.

Not that great a first impression. Lisa Trevor gave me fucking nightmares though.

God yes, Lisa Trevor was fucking terrifying...the part where you go out into her cabin in the woods still legitimately terrifies me to this day every time I play it.

Crimson Heads are scary, but they're slightly ruined by my first ever encounter with one. Creeping around the mansion, terrified, armed with the pistol and only a tiny bit of ammo, in the corridor with the arrowhead and the mirror, where there's a dormant crimson head at the start of the game, who doesn't come alive until you've done a certain amount of things.

So I walk past him to the door, he springs up from the ground, I go "oh shit!", spin on the spot to face him, fire a single potshot at him....and blow his head clean off.

Huh.

I had exactly one encounter with a Crimson Head. It grabbed me right outside a save room, I panicked, somehow managed to shove a grenade in its mouth and fired my second to last pistol round into his mouth, blowing his head apart. I never played REmake again after that. 11 year olds should not play that game.

REmake Hunters are just... scary. :(

REmake hunters are pussies compared to their RE1 PSX counterparts.

Remember in RE4 and RE5 you were invincible when performing melees/picking up items? This is what the RE1 PSX Hunters would do: when they were down, the couldn't be hit. Not to mention they're already a pain to hit when pouncing. Two hunters corner you, swipe, swipe, you're dead.

REmake at least made them a fair fight. And you can stuff grenades in their mouth!

Is Chris' partner confirmed to be Beards Nevence?
Bwahahaha I can't believe that's really a translated name. Now where can we find the manga

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
getting the feeling looking at all the latest info that as cool as parts of this will be, it's going to be a big disconnected mish-mash of sequences not unlike an umbrella chronicles. that's a really depressing thought, and i sure hope that i'm wrong, but with so many protagonists one can't help but feel all the jumping around perspective to perspective is going to really mess with any sense of travel. part of what made RE4 so awesome was that you went from that crappy little rinky-dink village all the way to a freaking castle and then to an island; for much of that, you were walking. you felt like you WENT SOMEWHERE.

i just worry that'll be set aside in favor of stringing together little "episodes" with each set of characters, which sounds so shitty and uninspired.

getting the feeling looking at all the latest info that as cool as parts of this will be, it's going to be a big disconnected mish-mash of sequences not unlike an umbrella chronicles. that's a really depressing thought, and i sure hope that i'm wrong, but with so much protagonists one can't help but feel all the jumping around perspective to perspective is going to really mess with any sense of travel. part of what made RE4 so awesome was that you went from that crappy little rinky-dink village all the way to a freaking castle and then to an island; for much of that, you were walking. you felt like you WENT SOMEWHERE.

i just worry that'll be set aside in favor of stringing together little "episodes" with each set of characters, which sounds so shitty and uninspired.

This sounds like it'll be an issue in Revelations too. But at least there's the whole ship.

getting the feeling looking at all the latest info that as cool as parts of this will be, it's going to be a big disconnected mish-mash of sequences not unlike an umbrella chronicles. that's a really depressing thought, and i sure hope that i'm wrong, but with so many protagonists one can't help but feel all the jumping around perspective to perspective is going to really mess with any sense of travel. part of what made RE4 so awesome was that you went from that crappy little rinky-dink village all the way to a freaking castle and then to an island; for much of that, you were walking. you felt like you WENT SOMEWHERE.

It seems like it will be like re2 you can select from the start wheher you do leon,chris or new guys scenario and each one is in a different scenario. Doesn't seem at all what you're talking about but well see

FreeMufasa

I'm suprised at how much buzz is sorrounding this game right now, on the outside. Dudes that I didn't even know played anything outside CoD/FiFa are all "Have you seen the new RE???? looks amazing!!"

This'll easily be the best seller in the series, considering the install base and a potential 4 platform release.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Pure evil. That feel when you run out of kerosene...
That's what it's all about. Those monsters where you go "Holy shit that was crazy... how much did it take? *checks* Shit. Well, I think I could stand to take another one down now that I know they're out there... but what if there are two? Damnit, I hate this place!" and then later there ARE two and you fucking run like hell.

Now it's gonna be like "Hey bros, lets go cap/beatdown some zombies. Meet me online."

Squire

Banned
I'm suprised at how much buzz is sorrounding this game right now, on the outside. Dudes that I didn't even know played anything outside CoD/FiFa are all "Have you seen the new RE???? looks amazing!!"

This'll easily be the best seller in the series, considering the install base and a potential 4 platform release.

Yeah, people tend to under estimate RE's place in mainstream culture. They're not moving CoD or GTA numbers, but a nice portion of those audiences are into this series too. By that same token the number of people who dislike RE5 or see it as a retread are a very limited number of people in actuality, I think. I'm interested to see the numbers Capcom's projecting for this. I would expect then to sell at least 4 million units world wide. And that's not counting the PC port and the inevitable Wii U port.

Mr.Fresh

Definitely. I saw lots of people at my college watching the trailer. It being played in every gamestop i have been to. And some of my friends (like yours) Who play nothing but NBA, and cod.

Endo Punk

And another one bites the dust. I was ok with ORC because Capcom made it clear they are going a different direction and that RE will continue in the main numbered series. But from the trailer it just seemed RE6 is ORC 2. Sigh keep forced co-op out of this game. Oh well being in the minority sucks but there are plenty other titles coming so no worries. Lose one gain another.

Teknoman

I think you're going to pick a scenario to go through similar to older RE games and not jump from character to character.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Upto 6 players coop online? How the hell is that even gonna work?

Riposte

No Wesker in RE6:The Mercenaries is TRAGIC. "Alex Wesker" better be a suitable replacement... but we know that can't be.

"YOU WILL GIVE ME AN EGG."

Nemesis_

Upto 6 players coop online? How the hell is that even gonna work?

I doubt it will be co-op throughout the story mode. There will be 1-2 players for that maybe? And a Mercs or Raid co-op mode as well?

The way they talk about pre-order bonuses makes it sound like there's a few different modes.

Top Bottom