• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL 2016 Week 7 [OT] - Challenge of the SuperFrauds

It could be worse Yankee, at least Howie doesn't own the team.

True that, but it also seems like Stephen really knows what he is doing and he is keeping Jerry in check. The hope for the Eagles is that the new front office that were brought in get more control and Howie gets phased out. More then anything I do think Lurie wants winners, winner who are nice and will say hi in the hallways and will also go to the company Christmas party and kiss his ass, but winners none the less.

Dolphins wearing the throwbacks this sunday!!!!

So sexy <3

ryan-tannehill-nfl-new-york-giants-miami-dolphins-850x560.jpg

effzee

Drafting Wentz was great but some of the FA pick up and contract extensions so far seem iffy at best.

The corners they picked up have been atrocious or hurt. Only Nollan Carrol deserves to start. Great pick up at safety in McLeod.

Extending Curry seems like a bad deal right now.

Obviously not all moves can be judged now but I expected the 2ndary to be much improved and so far it isn't. That he traded away a 2nd round pick in favor of 7th round pick and McKelvin who can never stay healthy is not sitting well with me.

JABEE

I think the problem is that the league doesn't like the Davis family. This deal will make Mark Davis wealthier and more influential in the league. This is the dynamic at play.

Drafting Wentz was great but some of the FA pick up and contract extensions so far seem iffy at best.

The corners they picked up have been atrocious or hurt. Only Nollan Carrol deserves to start. Great pick up at safety in McLeod.

Obviously not all moves can be judged now but I expected the 2ndary to be much improved and so far it isn't. That he traded away a 2nd round pick in favor of 7th round pick and McKelvin who can never stay healthy is not sitting well with me.

Curry has been one of the most efficient pass rushers in the league considering his limited snaps. The real question is why they don't give him more. Connor Barwin has been playing poorly this season, so I don't understand why they don't play Curry in his spot. Graham, Logan, Cox, Curry would be a better line. The only thing I can think of is they think Curry is bad at containing or setting the edge.

They definitely need help at CB and LB though. Bradham has been good, but Kendricks has looked like garbage in the new scheme. They can rely on Hicks and Bradham but they need another LB and maybe some LB depth. They also need CB depth. Unfortunately you're never going to get a team with great players at every position. You're going to have to pick where you'd rather have your weakness. LB, CB, OL or WR are going to be the four spots they need to fix next offseason. They can probably only fix two of those.

Curry has been one of the most efficient pass rushers in the league considering his limited snaps. The real question is why they don't give him more. Connor Barwin has been playing poorly this season, so I don't understand why they don't play Curry in his spot. Graham, Logan, Cox, Curry would be a better line. The only thing I can think of is they think Curry is bad at containing or setting the edge.

They definitely need help at CB and LB though. Bradham has been good, but Kendricks has looked like garbage in the new scheme. They can rely on Hicks and Bradham but they need another LB and maybe some LB depth. They also need CB depth. Unfortunately you're never going to get a team with great players at every position. You're going to have to pick where you'd rather have your weakness. LB, CB, OL or WR are going to be the four spots they need to fix next offseason. They can probably only fix two of those.

On this weeks BGN radio show they said that Curry has been terrible in run defense this year and that the coaches are worried about putting him on the field since he gives up his gap responsibility.

Hey bionic next time your wife wants a purse might I suggest this:

20144168_5017802-bagtote16_pm.jpg

On this weeks BGN radio show they said that Curry has been terrible in run defense this year and that the coaches are worried about putting him on the field since he gives up his gap responsibility.

Well, Barwin has been bad on pass rush. What do you want more from your DE? Pass rush or run defense? I guess that's the real question. Barwin did literally nothing in pass rush last week.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The thing you have to realize about the Vikings is that they signed Jake Long and claimed Billy Turner on waivers. Think about how bad things have to be to claim castoffs from the Dolphins offensive line.

Curry could take a nap and it wouldn't hurt the Eagles run defense. Vikes passing game has been really good but the rush offense is dreadful.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/#rushing::10

Jake Long could be an amazing pickup if he can manage to even remotely resemble his old self on the field.

I think he might be permanently broken though.

squicken

Jake Long could be an amazing pickup if he can manage to even remotely resemble his old self on the field.

I think he might be permanently broken though.

He cannot move. I hope he never plays. Clemmings is athletic enough but has no clue on technique. But he's young and can improve. Long will get worse every play as he gets more and more wear. I'd rather Billie Turn play

The Vikes defense is so good I won't ever pick against them, but some week they will be off and I don't think the offense can play behind, especially with Diggs still out

The thing you have to realize about the Vikings is that they signed Jake Long and claimed Billy Turner on waivers. Think about how bad things have to be to claim castoffs from the Dolphins offensive line.

Curry could take a nap and it wouldn't hurt the Eagles run defense. Vikes passing game has been really good but the rush offense is dreadful.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/#rushing::10

Billy Turner is good at run blocking, he was a casualty of the old regime if the Vikings let him grow at one spot instead of moving him around everywhere like Miami did he can be a serviceable player.

Tannehill had time to go through his reads!? What is this sorcery!?

That was a good read, thanks for the link. Maybe Gase's offense is starting to click and it just took some time + a functional o-line. T-1 week until Pouncey or Albert are hurt again.

Yeah...it was a nice one week of what could be if we had even a decent O-line. Can't wait until that first injury report...

Did tanehill have any read option runs?

One, I believe...ran like 4 yards if I remember correctly. Not 100% sure it was a read option though.

Breakdown by Armando:

PFF Week Six grades: Redemption for a lot of players (except Mario Williams)
This week's grading session, courtesy our colleagues at ProFootballFocus.com, is about redemption.

So here are the grades and I'll explain the redemption part afterward:

RB Jay Ajayi had the best game of his young career, where he turned 25 carries into 204 yards and two touchdowns. In terms of a rushing only grade, Ajayi was the second-highest rated RB of the week, trailing only Dallas' Ezekiel Elliot. He had 148 yards after contact, which was significantly more than the second most (Elliot had 98) and forced three missed tackles.

The missed tackles stat is interesting because Ajayi is almost exclusively a downhill, contact runner. Adding a little shake to his game makes him even more dangerous.

And the redemption part for him? Well, you know he was in the doghouse to start the regular season. He dogged it the final preseason game because he apparently didn't think he should be playing -- as most first-line players were not. Then he screwed up in the days following and got left behind as punishment when the team traveled to Seattle for the season-opener.

So is it surprising he has come back to reclaim his starting job and just delivered such a great game?

&#8220;I don&#8217;t know if anything surprises me, because he did [Sunday] what he had showed us all through the spring," coach Adam Gase said. "He had done it in training camp practices. I think I&#8217;ve said it; he had a rough seven days between the last preseason game and the first game, or 10 days, whatever it was. But every other part of it, he has been the same guy. I felt like yesterday was a good example of letting him get into a rhythm, and he&#8217;s a big man running down a hill at a good rate, and he can break tackles, and he knows where to go as far as what we&#8217;re doing in our run-scheme. If we get him going, we just keep trying to get him the ball.&#8221;

QB Ryan Tannehill's up-and-down season continued against the Steelers. He followed a terrible outing against the Tennessee Titans by ranking as the seventh-highest QB overall for Week Six. The formula for getting a good game out of Tannehill was explained in detail by me in this prescient column the morning of the game. (Good read too) - My note

And sure enough, Tannehill was pressured only five of his 32 dropbacks against the Steelers and was effective both under pressure (4-of-5 for 73 yards) and under no pressure (20-of-27 for 179 yards). Tannehill ranks as the 13th highest-graded QB through six weeks of the season thus far.

Oh, yes, please don't make me explain why this performance qualifies as redemption, although fleeting until next game, for a quarterback who left the field at home the week before to chants of "We want Moore," as in backup Matt Moore.

After ranking dead last in the NFL in terms of pressures allowed per passing play and overall PBE in weeks 1-5 (pass blocking efficiency is a formula that combines sacks/hits/hurries relative to the number of passing plays), the Dolphins' offensive line was graded as the fifth best unit in Week Six. They did not allow a sack, only one QB hit and five total pressures on 32 passing plays against the Steelers for a PBE of 90.6.

Remember, however, that despite the ranking from the previous five games, Sunday marked the first time this particular line -- with all its starting players -- played for the Dolphins this season.

One week after being targeted a career-low three times, running some wrong routes and blocking poorly, WR Jarvis Landry grabbed 7 of 8 targets for 91 yards with 44 yards after catch (YAC). He was the fourth-highest-rated WR in terms of receiving grade in Week Six, and ranks ninth of all WR in targets (52) and second in receptions (41) through six games. Landry has also forced 10 missed tackles on the season, most of any WR.

First-round rookie Laremy Tunsil returned to action after missing Week Five with an injury that happened when he slipped in the shower -- yes, embarrassing. The redemption?

Although he continued to struggle in pass protection (as has been the case all season aside from Week Two at New England), he had a great game run blocking. He was the fifth-ranked guard in Week Six for run blocking, and ranks in the top 20 of all guards in run blocking through six weeks.

DE Cameron Wake played 41 of 55 defensive snaps against the Steelers in Week six, his most snaps played on the season for any single game and by far the highest percentage of snaps he's played. The extra work did not negatively affect Wake's performance, as he once again posted a strong grade in pass rushing, registering half-a-sack. In terms of 4-3 DE's, Wake graded out as the fifth best at the position for the week and through six games this season, he trails only Cameron Jordan for the top pass rushing 4-3 DE position.

The redemption issue here isn't about Wake, although he is proving concerns about his surgically repaired Achilles are unfounded. The redemption here goes to defensive coordinator Vance Joseph and the other coaches who initially decided Wake needed to be limited in his snaps to save him for future use. And I've been saying more use was necessary. Pretty much everyone has been questioning why such little use of Wake.

Last game, in which Wake started ahead of the benched Mario Williams, showed the questions were legitimate. At least the defensive staff adjusted to what seems a better plan now.

Speaking of Williams ... no redemption for him after he got called out for needing to "play harder" by Joseph.

Williams played 13 of 55 snaps against the Steelers, which was a significant change since he had played at least 45 snaps in every game this season before it. He had a solid although unremarkable game despite the limited snaps and recorded his 12th QB hurry of the season, 16th most at his respective 4-3 defensive end position. Williams did miss two tackles while collecting one tackle. So, yes, he missed more tackles than he made.

But back to redemption ...

After being benched earlier in the season, CB Byron Maxwell responded in a big way against the Steelers. He was targeted eight times but allowed only four receptions for 29 yards (including only 23 yards on five targets against star WR Antonio Brown) and had four passes defended, which is exactly how many Maxwell had in the five previous games.

In terms of pass coverage grade amongst cornerbacks in Week Six, Maxwell was the 2nd-highest rated CB, trailing only New England's Malcolm Butler. Excellent.

DE Andre Branch has had significant trouble setting and holding the edge on run plays this year. You'll recall the New England and Tennessee games in particular. But he had 1 1/2 sacks and three stops on the afternoon. Only Ndamukong Suh (48) played more snaps on the defensive line unit than his 44.

Needing no redemption but clearly at risk of being out for the season pending a second opinion on his shoulder, Reshad Jones had another good game for the Dolphins. Generally known for his run defensive abilities over the course of his career, Jones has taken his game to another level this season in pass coverage. He was targeted only two times on the afternoon and did not allow a reception while also grabbing an interception in the process. Through the first 6 weeks of the season, Jones ranks third at his respective position in both overall grade and pass coverage grade.

The missed assignments I can forgive somewhat because the guy had only been practicing with the starting line for a week. The way he gives ground on both of those sacks though, you can tell he's so afraid of getting beat around the sides that he decides to just back pedal until he's sure what Kerrigan is going to do, then engage. He basically gives up the entire drop to the pass rusher. That's something that thankfully will get coached out of him. It's better to get beat by a move than give up ground willingly.

Edit: Comparing his technique with Peters really is eye opening. Peters footwork is phenomenal.

Underrated moment from the Dolphins/Steelers game: Hoculi's dumbshit crew calls the Dolphins for an illegal shift on a great TD pass where half the offensive players move around before the ball was snapped, saying that one of the linemen wasn't covered. Gase prints a photo of the play and calls the ref over to show him he was wrong.

Dude seems pretty smart.

Is there any truth to the rumors that the Browns were looking to trade Joe Thomas? If so I wonder what it would take. Eagles need Howie to work some trade magic before Big V gets Wentz killed. The Vike bike is leading the league with 19 sacks already, this could get really ugly.

Is there any truth to the rumors that the Browns were looking to trade Joe Thomas? If so I wonder what it would take. Eagles need Howie to work some trade magic before Big V gets Wentz killed. The Vike bike is leading the league with 19 sacks already, this could get really ugly.

We should trade them the first round pick we already traded them.

Joe isn't going any place friend. I'm sure teams call, but he isn't being actively shopped.
Even so I imagine the price would be pretty big

2 weeks ago there was a report that everybody on that team besides Calvin pryor were up for trade.

ACE 1991

I don't know why you would have expected this, cornerback was a huge area of concern going into the season. We all expected the safeties light it up. I think Curry will end being a pretty ok player. I just wish I knew what the fucking hell was up with the defense, they are a completely different unit after the bye. Damn shame. Regardless of how the rest of this season pans out I'll keep watching for Wentz's growth, he's the real.

I don't know why you would have expected this, cornerback was a huge area of concern going into the season. We all expected the safeties light it up. I think Curry will end being a pretty ok player. I just wish I knew what the fucking hell was up with the defense, they are a completely different unit after the bye. Damn shame. Regardless of how the rest of this season pans out I'll keep watching for Wentz's growth, he's the real.

Of course you can expect that the CB's would be vastly improved this year. The Eagles said that they were so set at CB that a guy who was a 2nd round pick the year before couldnt even make the team.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
this pleases me.

Like I said last week, that was pretty close to a must-win game for Philly. We already have a game on Washington and frankly they just aren't scary. Biggest challenge will be Giants bouncing back IMO.

They're going to be scary if their play calling remains disciplined and Gruden doesn't get pass happy.

Top Bottom