• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

NHLPA proposal is interesting. It's more than I expected and might be the foundation of a new agreement.

I doubt it gets accepted without changes, it seems more like a stopgap offer to try and prevent a lockout (which is a good thing).

1) It's only 3 years, with a player option for 4, NHL will want something longer
2) It calls for larger revenue sharing, I doubt the big teams want that
3) There's no changes to contracts so we still see the lifetime contracts and the ridiculous signing bonuses, I think the NHL will want those addressed somehow

Ultimately it seems to be an admission by the NHLPA that the league will experience large growth over the next few years and it's not worth to rock the boat too much.

Will be very interesting to see the NHL's response.

Fuck you guys. I'm slowly getting accustomed to the fact that there won't be an NHL season and now you go and raise my expectations? After I've carefully and deliberately spent the last few weeks lowering them as much as possible? Assholes.

General life advice that's worked pretty well for me; expect the worst out of everything. That way you're either going to be correct or pleasantly proven wrong.

You serious? The only thing I can recall about Delware that isn't depressing redneck yuppie communities is this:

delaware-waynes-world-225x203.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnLULIGekIA

Socreges

Banned
So my buddy drank from the Stanley Cup last night. And I could've done the same had I answered his phone call.

Whatever. Would've been treason anyhow. That's the Kings' cup.

*cries

ShaneB

So my buddy drank from the Stanley Cup last night. And I could've done the same had I answered his phone call.

Whatever. Would've been treason anyhow. That's the Kings' cup.

*cries

Call me old fashioned, but doing anything like that with the greatest sports trophy should be earned. Hell, I remember when I went to the HHOF when I was a kid and didn't want to touch the cup in hope that maybe I'd earn it someday.

Also, Dominic Hasek apparently wants a multi year deal in the NHL? LOL.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Call me old fashioned, but doing anything like that with the greatest sports trophy should be earned. Hell, I remember when I went to the HHOF when I was a kid and didn't want to touch the cup in hope that maybe I'd earn it someday.

Also, Dominic Hasek apparently wants a multi year deal in the NHL? LOL.

D'awwwwwe.

Socreges

Banned
That's like a 60-year-old virgin having Jessica Biel naked and spread-leg in front of him but walking in the other direction because he'd rather wait until marriage.

I guess Biel would have recently recovered from a handful of venereal diseases in this analogy, though.

Not sure I could do that, people have taken a shit and piss into it before.
Methinks they sterilize it regularly.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
A friend of mine linked me to this glorious picture. No idea where it comes from.
LOL, that's MY pic! I posted it on Reddit last night...

Here's the rest of my collection

http://imgur.com/a/UYu1K

EDIT - I might as well explain the story behind it. No, I did not buy all of them new. Most of them are my original games from when I was younger, I'd only buy one for whatever console I owned at the time, usually SNES, then PC, then XBox, then 360. About 7 years ago I decided to try and collect every version of every hockey game ever made. So I scoured eBay and used game stores to fill out the ones I was missing. I even put together a very crude History of Video Game Hockey webpage (but I haven't updated it since NHL 07). I'm missing about 20 titles, give or take, mostly old Amiga and Atari games. I also started a YouTube page to record footage from every game to show off the general differences between brands and years. Again, I haven't updated that in a few years either (I still need to capture footage of all the older 8 and 16 bit games).

Here's both pages...

History of Video Game Hockey in Pictures

History of Video Game Hockey in videos

Smiley90

EDIT - I might as well explain the story behind it. No, I did not buy all of them new. Most of them are my original games from when I was younger, I'd only buy one for whatever console I owned at the time, usually SNES, then PC, then XBox, then 360. About 7 years ago I decided to try and collect every version of every hockey game ever made. So I scoured eBay and used game stores to fill out the ones I was missing. I even put together a very crude History of Video Game Hockey webpage (but I haven't updated it since NHL 07). I'm missing about 20 titles, give or take, mostly old Amiga and Atari games. I also started a YouTube page to record footage from every game to show off the general differences between brands and years. Again, I haven't updated that in a few years either (I still need to capture footage of all the older 8 and 16 bit games).

Here's both pages...

b0pgd.gif

But seriously, WTF man. WTF.
Respect

Quick

Banned
Wingfan is perhaps the most prepared out of everyone here in the event of a lockout.

Various NHL games on different consoles, he can change it up to keep things fresh.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Who are you, Hulk?
I didn't break them, a buddy stepped on my xbox scratching one, and my dad flipped my xbox upside down while it was on during Christmas fucking up the other one. Buying each copy was progressively more painful.

If given the two options of buying 3 copies of NHL 13 or 40 lashings, I would take the 40 lashings any day.

Smiley90

I didn't break them, a buddy stepped on my xbox scratching one, and my dad flipped my xbox upside down while it was on during Christmas fucking up the other one. Buying each copy was progressively more painful.

If given the two options of buying 3 copies of NHL 13 or 40 lashings, I would take the 40 lashings any day.

At least your xbox is still working. My original Xbox bought right at release had the RROD 2 month before the extended warranty for first-batch-xbox's (so, 3 years after release I believe) ran out. You have NO IDEA how happy I was that Xbox broke.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
At least your xbox is still working. My original Xbox bought right at release had the RROD 2 month before the extended warranty for first-batch-xbox's (so, 3 years after release I believe) ran out. You have NO IDEA how happy I was that Xbox broke.
My OG 360 RROD and I had to buy a new one..so yea fuck you and your tale of happiness.

Smiley90

My OG 360 RROD and I had to buy a new one..so yea fuck you and your tale of happiness.

It RROD'd AFTER warranty expired? I was able to send mine in and got a free replacement, so lucky.

If it makes you feel any better, I then moved to North America and because of regional lock I had to buy a new Xbox to play any games. Had to leave everything behind. Also bought my Xbox Elite like 2 month before the slim xbox got announced...

the last page?

Lol seriously? Fuck me, I need to keep up more. Honestly didn't know it was already posted.

Here's both pages...

That's goddamn bananas. That's really all I can say. Too fucking crazy.

Marvie_3

Banned
Is that the Japanese version of Crash and the Boys for NES? I haven't been able to find that one yet. Of course I also havent looked in a few years either.

Yeah. Crash N the Boys: Ice Challenge(US version) was cancelled before it was released so the Japanese version is the only one you can get.

ShaneB

That's a cool collection Wingfan. I'd never do that, lol, but still is pretty cool to see that picture.

I wish the new nhl games would come to PC :( I haven't bought an EA nhl game in years, and basically only played them sparingly when I visit home since my brother keeps buying them.

I would love a new retro style hockey game in the style of say NHL 94, but with all the features of a new title.

Osorio

Are any of you guys really good at NHL? I only play it at my friend's house and the goal scoring feels too random. I can tell when someone's better than me by their positioning and tactics and stuff like that but often I'll squeak out victories and I have no idea how I did it.

Is that the Japanese version of Crash and the Boys for NES? I haven't been able to find that one yet. Of course I also havent looked in a few years either.

Whoa, I was just thinking about Crash and the Boys Olympics or whatever it was. The ad for the hockey version appeared at the end of the game I think.

Technos made an awesome soccer game and a dodgeball game based on these 'mechanics'.

ShaneB

Whoa, I was just thinking about Crash and the Boys Olympics or whatever it was. The ad for the hockey version appeared at the end of the game I think.

Technos made an awesome soccer game and a dodgeball game based on these 'mechanics'.

All the Kunio-Kun games are awesome.

Are any of you guys really good at NHL? I only play it at my friend's house and the goal scoring feels too random. I can tell when someone's better than me by their positioning and tactics and stuff like that but often I'll squeak out victories and I have no idea how I did it.

I'm pretty decent at versus mode, not so much with be-a-pro mostly for the fact that my character is way too low of a level compared to others.

Edit: Apparently Datsyuk and Crosby are tied in the EA NHL ratings this year for the highest at 95 overall, go Datsyuk!!

Osorio

I'm pretty decent at versus mode, not so much with be-a-pro mostly for the fact that my character is way too low of a level compared to others.

Edit: Apparently Datsyuk and Crosby are tied in the EA NHL ratings this year for the highest at 95 overall, go Datsyuk!!

How do you feel about the competition in the game? I guess to a certain extent I have a lot to learn about skating, defensive positioning, off the puck movement by the forwards, shot placement. However, I'll sometimes win a game that I was being dominated in by passing the puck from the trapezoid to a defenseman by the blue line, one timer, and it hits the bottom corner. Even though they'll often get shots in the slot with no pressure on them and can't put it in.

Were these guys just not that good or do I make sense?

How do you feel about the competition in the game? I guess to a certain extent I have a lot to learn about skating, defensive positioning, off the puck movement by the forwards, shot placement. However, I'll sometimes win a game that I was being dominated in by passing the puck from the trapezoid to a defenseman by the blue line, one timer, and it hits the bottom corner. Even though they'll often get shots in the slot with no pressure on them and can't put it in.

Were these guys just not that good or do I make sense?

I have only played a few matches online, most are against friends and what not (including wsoxfan which I think I beat him 4-0 or something like that). I noticed people really don't like to pass the puck and that for at least NHL 12 and lower, the one timer across in the slot is pretty much the way to go, or a wrap around shot to the far corner. Defensively, I let them come to me and will poke check or stick lift the puck away, while also isolating the puck carrier and laying a check on him and retrieve the puck that way. It all just depends on who you are playing against.

Osorio

I have only played a few matches online, most are against friends and what not (including wsoxfan which I think I beat him 4-0 or something like that). I noticed people really don't like to pass the puck and that for at least NHL 12 and lower, the one timer across in the slot is pretty much the way to go, or a wrap around shot to the far corner. Defensively, I let them come to me and will poke check or stick lift the puck away, while also isolating the puck carrier and laying a check on him and retrieve the puck that way. It all just depends on who you are playing against.

I often score most of my goals on the rush, I have a good forecheck but have trouble creating chances from the cycle.

Defensively I try to control the center and watch the slot but it seems like everyone gets out of position whenever the opposing attacker goes behind the net.

I'm probably gonna buy NHL13 now, and try to figure it out.

I often score most of my goals on the rush, I have a good forecheck but have trouble creating chances from the cycle.

Defensively I try to control the center and watch the slot but it seems like everyone gets out of position whenever the opposing attacker goes behind the net.

I'm probably gonna buy NHL13 now, and try to figure it out.

The AI does that, I usually take control of the player that is supposed to be in front of the net then so that I have someone watching that area of the ice.

Cactus

Banned
Dan Weiss
@SARampage_Voice
NHL-CHL transfer agreement (the 20-or-older rule to play in the AHL) expired back in July. Intriguing sidebar for upcoming AHL season.

Top Bottom