• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Well that was strange, came back from a run this afternoon and as I was walking up my sidewalk, I hear a snapping sound. Turn around and look down to see that I stepped on a praying mantis...

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Dan Weiss
@SARampage_Voice
NHL-CHL transfer agreement (the 20-or-older rule to play in the AHL) expired back in July. Intriguing sidebar for upcoming AHL season.
This is such a stupid rule. Please change it and get Gally on the Bulldogs.

While the NHL Players' Association and executive director Donald Fehr said Tuesday that the players are willing take a smaller percentage of revenues in a new collective bargaining agreement, other details have emerged from the union's proposal as well.

According to TSN hockey analyst Aaron Ward, the offer also calls for a limit on 'non-player' spending such as costs for head coaching, front office and management payrolls.

In addition, the union's proposal suggests - at the discretion of both the NHL and NHLPA on a case-by-case basis - giving extra draft picks to teams in financial trouble.

The players' offer also allows for franchises in distress under special circumstances to be permitted to trade or sell up to $4 million in cap space to another team - giving the team a way of adding another 'paycheque.'

That's hilarious, the players want to tell the owners how much they should be spending internally, talk about the employees trying to run the company. Gotta make sure there is more money for their bloated contracts.

That's hilarious, the players want to tell the owners how much they should be spending internally, talk about the employees trying to run the company. Gotta make sure there is more money for their bloated contracts.

Ah... So all of the little details that they didn't want us to hear start coming out, so much for "Wow, the players union's offer actually isn't that bad". While it still isn't as bad as what the NHL did for their first offer, this stuff is a big no from me. Owners would be pissed having the players tell them what to do all the time with some of this. I especially hate "extra draft picks to teams in financial trouble" BS right there.

Normally I'd agree with you. However, the NHL has consistently made decisions which have DECREASED the pool of money from which the players draw, particularly in Phoenix. The NHL has the convenient market position of being a monopoly that goes unregulated, so they know they're gonna continue to be profitable. This means they can make economic choices that in any rational world would make no fucking sense, again Phoenix. Therefore, the PA has the interest of making sure the league acts as a rational market participant.

Normally I'd agree with you. However, the NHL has consistently made decisions which have DECREASED the pool of money from which the players draw, particularly in Phoenix. The NHL has the convenient market position of being a monopoly that goes unregulated, so they know they're gonna continue to be profitable. This means they can make economic choices that in any rational world would make no fucking sense, again Phoenix. Therefore, the PA has the interest of making sure the league acts as a rational market participant.

Can't wait for Phoenix to get an extra few draft picks a year to make up for all of the money they lose.

Can't wait for Phoenix to get an extra few draft picks a year to make up for all of the money they lose.

Hey, if they iced a consistently competitive team maybe they'd break even, but at the very least there's a strong argument them being better at least SOMEWHAT fixes the problem, since they'd almost certainly make more money. I'm not saying its a perfect solution, or even a good one really, but at least the PA is trying to do SOMETHING despite the NHL's best efforts to shoot itself in the foot.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Hey, if they iced a consistently competitive team maybe they'd break even, but at the very least there's a strong argument them being better at least SOMEWHAT fixes the problem, since they'd almost certainly make more money. I'm not saying its a perfect solution, or even a good one really, but at least the PA is trying to do SOMETHING despite the NHL's best efforts to shoot itself in the foot.

What if they win the Stanley Cup and still lose money? Do they still get extra draft picks? It's
a terrible idea.

Heretic

Maybe the NHLPA just threw that stuff in there for bargaining purposes. They probably don't care if the NHL agrees to that and are willing to let the NHL "win" the removal of that portion.

If that makes sense...

I don't know, I don't like it along with the idea of trading cap space...

I'm more or less fine with the system we have now, just with a cut down on these bloated contracts and what not as well as maybe a few minor changes here and there.

ShaneB

Inmates running the asylum indeed. Jeez at those hidden details coming out.

Maybe the NHLPA just threw that stuff in there for bargaining purposes. They probably don't care if the NHL agrees to that and are willing to let the NHL "win" the removal of that portion.

If that makes sense...

Nah, it makes sense to add in things that you know you'll give up in hopes of it being a bargaining chip. I'm suprised there's been no mention of realignment yet. I figured when the PA nixed that idea it would be something in play for this CBA.

Wow what a moronic idea. If the NHLPA proposal was to go through then their would only be a luxury tax so player salaries would go up, and then teams that are losing money like the yotes would get more draft picks which would mean more good players that they would have to pay more money to. This does nothing to help the teams that are losing money, it is just a way to try and drive up team salaries more.

Wow what a moronic idea. If the NHLPA proposal was to go through then their would only be a luxury tax so player salaries would go up, and then teams that are losing money like the yotes would get more draft picks which would mean more good players that they would have to pay more money to. This does nothing to help the teams that are losing money, it is just a way to try and drive up team salaries more.

The thinking behind it I believe is:

If a team is not making money, then more than likely they suck because fans don't want to go and see a sucky team. So they get some extra draft picks which could turn into stars, thus helping them stockpile prospects who may turn out to be great. Then when they join the league on ELC more fans will start coming to the games to see these new young guys and thus the team will start making more money. And once their ELC is up, the team will then have money to spend on new contracts. Only problem is that there are a ton of other factors that come into play in how a team makes money and what not, how it may screw other teams over during the draft, etc.... But apparently they didn't think about that when they stated this. :/

Quick

Banned
I'd really like to see Colborne finally make the roster full-time.

The Leafs coaching staff were pretty high on him after last season.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow, I take it back. What an idiotic proposal by the players.

Marvie_3

Banned
Are any of you guys really good at NHL? I only play it at my friend's house and the goal scoring feels too random. I can tell when someone's better than me by their positioning and tactics and stuff like that but often I'll squeak out victories and I have no idea how I did it.
I'm good at getting pissed off at NHL. I only play EASHL though and I'm ok at it I guess.

The "momentum" engine in the game is the biggest factor in deciding the winner most of the time. If you outhit the other player(s), you'll get all the bounces. Other times, the less skilled player will get all the loose pucks, bounces, and ridiculously fluky goals. It doesn't make any sense and thats why everything feels so random.

All the Kunio-Kun games are awesome.
Yes they are. Ike Ike Nekketsu Hockey is on the Virtual Console in Japan. I wish they'd bring it out here even if its not translated.

Not sure, but wow that isn't much for Lu.
Vancouver isn't going to get much for Lu.

Wow, I take it back. What an idiotic proposal by the players.
Same here. :lol

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I've been so desperate for actual sports news, I spent the last 20 minutes reading about the RVP shenanigans =/

Cactus

Banned
Colborne is a great prospect. He was ripping up the AHL before he injured his wrist. He tried to play through it for the rest of the season, but there was a huge drop-off in production. Downsides to his game are that he's slow, and he doesn't use his size effectively. He has supposedly been working extensively with a skating coach this summer, so there's definitely still room for improvement.

It would be tough to see him go, but for Luongo I would do it. If the rumour ends up being true, I guess Gillis was willing to accept a lesser package to avoid taking unwanted salary.

ShaneB

I've been so desperate for actual sports news, I spent the last 20 minutes reading about the RVP shenanigans =/

I'm thankful as hell the Olympics are over. At least now I can watch Sportsnet/TSN and enjoy highlights and not just hours and hours of olympic coverage and human interest stories.

Also, the cba stuff earlier about the "non player salary cap" made me chuckle a bit. I would love to see the irony of a coach working his contract to circumvent that cap. lol

Top Bottom