• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Stanley Cup 2017 Finals [OT]- To Catch a Predator

Cake Boss

Banned
DBCKNwNXcAATyDP.jpg

Entropia

No One Remembers
I missed the challenge against PK's goal until I saw a clip/replay this morning, but holy shit does that challenge completely go AGAINST the spirit of the challenge.

Play went on for way too long, and even with the Pens gaining possession at one point.

Like, what if the Pens turned the play around and scored? "Oh well, he was technically offside, but we gained possession and scored." Though it'd be hilarious if the Predators could turn it around - "Ehhh, we were offside why didn't you call that? Challenge please."

imBask

Banned
why is everyone on reddit pissed at the offsides challenge? I'm reading people say the offside was "minor" and in that case the goal should count... Like what? was it offside or not, there's no gray area there

People would rather have illegal goals instead?

I missed the challenge against PK's goal until I saw a clip/replay this morning, but holy shit does that challenge completely go AGAINST the spirit of the challenge.

Play went on for way too long, and even with the Pens gaining possession at one point.

Like, what if the Pens turned the play around and scored? "Oh well, he was technically offside, but we gained possession and scored." Though it'd be hilarious if the Predators could turn it around - "Ehhh, we were offside why didn't you call that? Challenge please."
once it exists the zone you cant challenge the offside anymore.

I do agree that the rule isn't working as intended. Its meant to stop those Duchene incidents. However I don't have the right answer for a proper way to allow challenges for things like that, while not for moments when it could be determined that offside had no effect on the goal. Thats a giant grey area.

Calamari41

41 > 38
why is everyone on reddit pissed at the offsides challenge? I'm reading people say the offside was "minor" and in that case the goal should count... Like what? was it offside or not, there's no gray area there

People would rather have illegal goals instead?

The offside rule exists in sports to stop cherry picking. If you have to zoom in and go frame by frame with a 4k camera to decide after fifteen minutes whether or not a player was technically offside, then you're going against the spirit of the rule.

Obviously as the rules exist in the NHL, everything was done correctly last night. But it's still stupid.

Do you think that individual pitches should be challengeable in a baseball game, even way after the fact?

It would be impossible to count the number of runs scored due to "illegal" hits, but its still better for the game that we not sit there all night watching slow motion replays of on-the-edge calls.

PillarEN

You Ducks fans had that one game where Rinne played poorly. You no good whiners :mad:

The offside rule exists in sports to stop cherry picking. If you have to zoom in and go frame by frame with a 4k camera...

They should get those 4K cameras cause some of their shots look sub HD. Then it's just guess work if his skate had lifted or not.

Calamari41

41 > 38
You Ducks fans had that one game where Rinne played poorly. You no good whiners :mad:

We're not whining, I even said that we're #Blessed!

They should get those 4K cameras cause some of their shots look sub HD. Then it's just guess work if his skate had lifted or not.

They really should, if they're going to be going down this road. That's another dumb thing. They've created a rule that basically requires an electron microscope to get the right call, and we're all sitting there looking at a vaseline-smeared cellphone video.

imBask

Banned
The offside rule exists in sports to stop cherry picking. If you have to zoom in and go frame by frame with a 4k camera to decide after fifteen minutes whether or not a player was technically offside, then you're going against the spirit of the rule.

Obviously as the rules exist in the NHL, everything was done correctly last night. But it's still stupid.

Do you think that individual pitches should be challengeable in a baseball game, even way after the fact?

It would be impossible to count the number or runs scored due to "illegal" hits, but its still better for the game that we not sit there all night watching slow motion replays of on-the-edge calls.

I guess it depends on how you want to implement the rule and if you're willing to accept human errors.

plus it's not like they can review every offside, they have to get it right and they did. If you wanna compare it to baseball, it'd be more like : you can call a challenge on first base, but you can only fail once (idk if that rule exists in baseball actually). I don't have a problem with challenging as long as there's a penalty if you get it wrong

Let's say Brad Marchand scored on a blatant offside last night instead of the lovable preds and the lovable PK Subban, and the opponents had no way of challenging it... what then? I'm sure the debate would be pretty different this morning

Calamari41

41 > 38
I guess it depends on how you want to implement the rule and if you're willing to accept human errors.

plus it's not like they can review every offside, they have to get it right and they did. If you wanna compare it to baseball, it'd be more like : you can call a challenge on first base, but you can only fail once (idk if that rule exists in baseball actually). I don't have a problem with challenging as long as there's a penalty if you get it wrong

You can challenge base running calls, but my issue isn't with challenges as a whole. My issue is with the "after the fact" aspect. Challenging something as it happens is one thing. I have no problem with things like goalie interference reviews. But this is challenging something that happened in the past, well afterwards, and only when a series of events that took place afterwards went not in your favor.

Using the base running challenge analogy, it would be as if you challenged a "safe" call three batters later, to negate an RBI, and the umpiring crew goes onto the field and says "yeah, the inning should have been over three batters ago, the RBI doesn't count."

What happens if a team down by 1 with a minute left scores on a sequence 50 seconds after an incredibly close offside that reverses the goal? Now they have 10 seconds and basically zero chance left. They should at least reset the clock after a successful challenge.

Let's say Brad Marchand scored on a blatant offside last night instead of the lovable preds and the lovable PK Subban, and the opponents had no way of challenging it... what then? I'm sure the debate would be pretty different this morning

This is why refs and linesmen should be publicly reprimanded and fired a lot more often, and why players and coaches should be allowed to tear into them after games.

There needs to a reasonable timer on reviews. If in 90 seconds that can't give a conclusive answer then the call should stand. Personally I hate every review that relies on the inches after 10 minutes of review.

j-wood

Let's say Brad Marchand scored on a blatant offside
scored on a blatant offside
blatant offside

There is your difference. Nothing about last night's call was blatant.

Calamari41

41 > 38
blatant offside

It's also worth noting that goals scored on blatant offsides (I'm using it as a plural here, so its ok) happen immediately, since they're basically illegal wide open breakaways. That's the kind of situation where a challenge is philosophically warranted. But that's not where they're used.

imBask

Banned
blatant offside

it was still offside tho.

remove the blatant and my point stands, there would be 50 threads on reddit about how the NHL is fucked and they need to make robots to replace linesman

I get your point but i'd rather have this than horrible mistakes à la Brett Hull's skate-in-the-crease

Futureman

Rookie Matthew Murray with 5 Stanley Cup Finals wins.

What a crazy game. Guentzel goal was amazing. All hail our beautiful rookie boy.

Can't wait for Wednesday. I'd be shocked if Pens are stifled with shots again. Part of that was being up 3-0 and going into a defensive shell. Pretty embarrassing but in the end they got the job done.

Calamari41

41 > 38

remove the blatant and my point stands, there would be 50 threads on reddit about how the NHL is fucked and they need to make robots to replace linesman

I get your point but i'd rather have this than horrible mistakes à la Brett Hull's skate-in-the-crease

If it was close enough to be missed live, it was close enough to not matter.

If it was a blatant blown call, fire the linesman responsible for making it.

"Offside" is a rule to prevent cherry picking. Subban wasn't cherry picking last night.

And if they are going to go down this road of offside challenges, then yeah, they probably should have robots replace linesmen.

j-wood

I get your point but i'd rather have this than horrible mistakes à la Brett Hull skate in the crease

I don't think there should be sweeping changes to the rule. I don't think refs should be replaced with robots. All I want is an honest review, and that goes for every team.

I won't sit here and blame last nights loss on this. The pen's score some quality goals, and Pekka didn't have a good night. But there's no denying the game should have possibly been 4-4 with 3 minutes left.

Instead, the Preds goal was wiped out over a possible infraction well after the fact. In no reality can you tell via replay if his blade is on the ice or not. Review should have been inconclusive, and play should have stood.

imBask

Banned
If it was close enough to be missed live, it was close enough to not matter.

If it was a blatant blown call, fire the linesman responsible for making it.

"Offside" is a rule to prevent cherry picking. Subban wasn't cherry picking last night.

And if they are going to go down this road of offside challenges, then yeah, they probably should have robots replace linesmen.

yeah but rules are rules

kinda like the delay of game penalty, or the high sticking... I'd rather have the least possible amount of "judgement calls" from the refs

Calamari41

41 > 38
yeah but rules are rules

kinda like the delay of game penalty, or the high sticking... I'd rather have the less possible amount of "judgement calls" from the refs

Nobody is saying that what happened last night was against the rules.

At least, I'm not. I'm arguing that the rules they've set up are idiotic. I would be here making the same argument if the Ducks had just won the Cup off the back of a reversed goal. I'd be happy, but I'd be arguing for the removal of this rule.

imBask

Banned
Nobody is saying that what happened last night was against the rules.

At least, I'm not. I'm arguing that the rules they've set up are idiotic. I would be here making the same argument if the Ducks had just won the Cup off the back of a reversed goal. I'd be happy, but I'd be arguing for the removal of this rule.

and i'm not saying you're wrong, I think we all understand eachothers here

but I still kinda wanna fight you, quack

Wow
Did you guys hear about the truck crash on the 417
Its a parking lot right now
What's the best alternative route into downtown Ottawa? Going by the airport and taking Bronson??

Top Bottom