• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starchasing said:
I used standard logic and common sense.
61kg753.jpg

Gekkonidae said:
Oh, thank God. What would the rest of us have done without you. Civilization itself might have come to a grinding halt.

Youd probably done for the better.

Anyways i was reading the older pages and i found the reason of the anomosity against my answer.

My bad

Michan

JoshuaJSlone said:
To get even goofier, does the Classic Controller override regular wiimote button presses, or could the system tell them apart? Have one person on the remote, and another on the connected classic controller.

What a great original idea that was not mentioned on the previous page-or-so. I commend you.

What I think is awesome about this update, is using different control methods adds to the longevity of the game. It took so long for melee players to master one type of control, can you imagine how long mastering, or at least becoming proficient with 4 types would be?

I imagine most people will stick with one type of control, but for me, having alternate control methods adds to the replayability, and will help keep the game fresh.

Keru_Shiri said:
What I think is awesome about this update, is using different control methods adds to the longevity of the game. It took so long for melee players to master one type of control, can you imagine how long mastering, or at least becoming proficient with 4 types would be?

I imagine most people will stick with one type of control, but for me, having alternate control methods adds to the replayability, and will help keep the game fresh.

I think that if I still play the game after 6 years, it's "fresh enough" for me at this point.

However, I do see the addition of the Wiimote as an obvious choice (since it is with the system after all). Mostly because this option brings the possibility to the table of neo players joining the brawl and becoming proficient and moving to the GCN controller to play more adequately. I have a friend who won't get in to Melee because of how good everyone else is in contrast to him, maybe if he plays some people with the basic setup (well, actually I don't have much hope for him anyway) he'll gain a little experience and want to move up.

Possibly.

krzy123 said:
I heard that gc controller users will get auto-aim, while wiimote/nunchuck controls will be gimped.

Yeah, and if you play with a GC controller Sakurai will come to your house and personally felate you.

Firestorm

Keru_Shiri said:

Yeah, I'll probably just be sticking to GCN. It's got my precious C-Stick after all =) I hated 1 Player in Melee where I'd go for a perfect down-air and it wouldn't hit since C-Stick does nothing =(

Seeing as Melee still hasn't lost its charm for me, I think I'll be fine with one control scheme.

Seraph830

Banned
Linkup said:
Great, something new for people to fight about.

"ZOMG hardcore use only the _____ controller"
Truth

I just got told by a smash elitist that the GC pad was the only "real" option. When I said I wanted to play with the Nunchuk combo (because it has enough buttons and looks more comfortable) he told me i would lose every single match I played.

Some people need to think outside their own demographic

Eteric Rice

Seraph830 said:
Truth

I just got told by a smash elitist that the GC pad was the only "real" option. When I said I wanted to play with the Nunchuk combo (because it has enough buttons and looks more comfortable) he told me i would lose every single match I played.

Some people need to think outside their own demographic

Beat him down with the Wii-mote. Make Sakurai proud.

Masahiro_Sakurai_Kirby.jpg

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Firestorm said:
Holy crap. That is. Wow.

And damn, Sakurai is my favourite game designer ever. I bought a Wavebird a couple of months ago almost specifically for this game! And also because we played so much Melee that one of my controllers is unuseable, one is getting to unuseable, and one is halfway to unuseable.

Nintendo controllers are not durable >_<
You play falcon, don't you? :p

methodman

Banned
GaimeGuy said:
Seriously, how the hell do you **** up your GC controllers? I bought four wavebirds the day they came out, and I only switched the batteries once or twice in every single one of them. Those controllers were ****ing rocks.

GaimeGuy

Firestorm said:
Yeah, I'll probably just be sticking to GCN. It's got my precious C-Stick after all =) I hated 1 Player in Melee where I'd go for a perfect down-air and it wouldn't hit since C-Stick does nothing =(

Seeing as Melee still hasn't lost its charm for me, I think I'll be fine with one control scheme.
well, the nunchaku control scheme seems pretty apparent

GC Button in Melee vs. Wii + Nunchaku button

A = A
B = B
joystick = joystick
Z = C (the tiny button on the nunchaku)
L/R = Z (the larger trigger on the nunchaku, below the C button)
C-Stick = D-Pad

The only thing missing inthis control scheme? Light-shielding, and I suppose there's the chance that they took out the light-shield in Brawl.

GaimeGuy

methodman said:
Seriously, how the hell do you **** up your GC controllers? I bought four wavebirds the day they came out, and I only switched the batteries once or twice in every single one of them. Those controllers were ****ing rocks.
Until further notice, I'll just assume he's a high-level falcon user. They go through tons of controllers, usually. :lol

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Anyone selling new GCN controllers? Or is Nintendo still manufacturing them? I really cant imagine playing this game with the Wiimote and Nun, but I still prefer the GCN Controller... C STICK! I will buy like five controllers for this game alone, you don't know how many i busted in Melee (one of them died while practicing wavedashing... never got the hang of it really, but I don't need it to win. I love seeing the astonished face of people who wavedash and I easily beat them with Luigi... priceless!). L-Cancel is a necessity, they better leave that in lol.

Threi

notag
i will either be a sideways wiimote, wiimote + nunchuk, or CC user. I think i got GC controller down enough - it can't hurt to try new control schemes

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
GaimeGuy said:
well, the nunchaku control scheme seems pretty apparent

GC Button in Melee vs. Wii + Nunchaku button

A = A
B = B
joystick = joystick
Z = C (the tiny button on the nunchaku)
L/R = Z (the larger trigger on the nunchaku, below the C button)
C-Stick = D-Pad

The only thing missing inthis control scheme? Light-shielding, and I suppose there's the chance that they took out the light-shield in Brawl.

XY Jump - D-pad down
C Stick - Move Wiimote Up left Right Down (Can be turned on or off)

Whats the difference between the light shield and normal shield?

Firestorm

GaimeGuy said:

It's not me breaking them. It's my friends. Specifically a friend who uses Fox and maybe the one who uses Falco.

Although I have no idea what it was that caused the L, R, and Z button make your character jump when you pressed them =/ There's no way to block on that controller. Too much l-cancelling? Control stick on most of them aren't really centered anymore. C-Stick on one is messed up in that it always thinks it's down.

So I'll admit I was totally wrong about the sideways Wii-mote thing. Still, though, I think that configuration will either a) be completely uncomfortable or b) integrate motion controls that, personally, I have no interest in.

ant1532

Banned
superbank said:
XY Jump - D-pad down

You can move around the light shield to protect in some places the hard shield might not when it's too small.

GaimeGuy

superbank said:
XY Jump - D-pad down

1. You slide back further from being hit while light shielding as opposed to hard shielding
2. You can not power shield with a light shield, but you can power shield with a hard shield.
3. Light shield can be used to edgeguard opponents.
4. Light shield lasts longer than hard shield.
5. Ligtht shield is larger than hard shield.
6. Light shield absorbs less damage than hard shield (hits cause the shield to drain a lot more than they drain the hard shield.)
7. Light shield sets up the proper spacing for shieldgrabs

hmm.

I just realized.

Light shield could be Z+C. They're both pressable at the same time.

One of the jump buttons was not easy to access.

And I've broken all four of my controllers. My friend discovered dash-dancing as Marth on his own at my house, so he probably messed up one controller. I tend to go airborne a lot, so I probably screwed up the second one. All of us use Z to a great extent, which means that accounts for one broken internally. And overall usage probably broke the fourth controller.

I was banking on the Wii's release to pick up 4 standard controllers for 10$ new.

I did not count on retailers saying they were Wii-compatible and pricing them at 25$. :(

GaimeGuy

FlightOfHeaven said:
One of the jump buttons was not easy to access.

And I've broken all four of my controllers. My friend discovered dash-dancing as Marth on his own at my house, so he probably messed up one controller. I tend to go airborne a lot, so I probably screwed up the second one. All of us use Z to a great extent, which means that accounts for one broken internally. And overall usage probably broke the fourth controller.

I was banking on the Wii's release to pick up 4 standard controllers for 10$ new.

I did not count on retailers saying they were Wii-compatible and pricing them at 25$. :(
owned by retailers :(

methodman said:

Eh. Years and years of Smash plus tons of tourneys end up with old sticks. It's just how it runs. If you've only replaced your batteries a couple times, it just goes to show how much more Smash time hasn't been put on those. :)

GaimeGuy said:
owned by retailers :(

Tell me about it. Hell, I was thinking "If Wavebirds go for 20$, I'll spring for it!"

35$. And I want 4 Wavebirds now, since I've gotten used to the whole wireless thing. :/

Seriously. Why are the prices so damn high?

PkunkFury

We never played Melee much, but my friends and I went through something like 15 N64 controllers on Smash 64. I don't think any other game has claimed so many controller casualties

PkunkFury said:
We never played Melee much, but my friends and I went through something like 15 N64 controllers on Smash 64. I don't think any other game has claimed so many controller casualties

64 controllers are easy for most people to plow through. Introduce Smash Bros... it's over.

I was just listening to some Twilight Princess tracks and drooled at the realization that Brawl should have some sort of remixed version of the main tune, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeah!

Hoping for a bad ass Hyrule Field theme remix.

Hyrule Temple from Melee was amazing, and nice surprise being from the 'lesser-liked' by most fans of the series I wasn't expecting it at all.... and loved it, you really had to be a fan to remember it as much. :)

I want Brawl now. ;( ;( ;( Nooooooow.

Conrad Link said:
I was just listening to some Twilight Princess tracks and drooled at the realization that Brawl should have some sort of remixed version of the main tune, yeeeeeeeeeeeeeah!

Hoping for a bad ass Hyrule Field theme remix.

And that's actually why I wanted Ishiwatari in. It's like I can hear in my head what TP's main theme would be like if it was remixed to sound a bit like Simple Life.
Frustrating. :(
That or I'm just ****ed up in the head.

usea

I don't really keep up with everything, so when is the next update? Also, any bets on what it will be? I've been very satisfied with the information so far.

usea said:
I don't really keep up with everything, so when is the next update? Also, any bets on what it will be? I've been very satisfied with the information so far.
Tonight, probably.

And I'm guessing Game Mode: Classic, because everytime I guess that, it's inevitably something better. So I am guessing it again.

usea said:

In about 50 minutes. :)

My guess: new item.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
usea said:

Sometime in the next few hours. My bet is that we'll see an item.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom