• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - Impressions/reviews/etc

spwolf

p.s. good luck to anyone downloading patch today... it was full speed yesterday and crawling today... Why couldnt they put up the patch on global PSN servers? Those downloads go full speeds at all times for me.

Philthy

I just got an email from Sony saying their Terms of Service has changed. I decided to take a look and a good bit of it was about chargebacks. They say if you do a chargeback, they immediately reserve the right to go ahead and deduct the money from your account again.

I'm curious whether this is because of Socom and people wanting their money back since "all sales are final" on PSN.

Crisis

Banned
I just got done playing a few rounds during my lunch break and whatever they did last night sure benefitted it today. Servers are still totally full and it's running great right now. Stat-tracking has been fixed I think (It showed some stats of mine for the first time ever). It didn't kick me out of the game or anything and it ran great in-game.

J-Rzez

Lion Heart said:
Fuck it, im cracking this bitch open and going wild.

Do it. The game is fucking fantastic if you liked prior SOCOMs or want something a bit more skill based and hardcore than CoD4, H3, and other twitch shooters with miracle aiming while jumping.

Did some playing in the large rooms last night, I have to say, as a hardcore SOCOM/Shooter fan, this is the real deal. When it's running right, this is the best shooter this gen. Now if they can keep this sucker running right, that's the issue.

J-Rzez said:
Do it. The game is fucking fantastic if you liked prior SOCOMs or want something a bit more skill based and hardcore than CoD4, H3, and other twitch shooters with miracle aiming while jumping.

Did some playing in the large rooms last night, I have to say, as a hardcore SOCOM/Shooter fan, this is the real deal. When it's running right, this is the best shooter this gen. Now if they can keep this sucker running right, that's the issue.

Nice. The last game I played was the original actually. I loved the SP and loved the MP. I had a lot more experience with GRAW which seems similar so I could probably get right into it.

J-Rzez

Lion Heart said:
Nice. The last game I played was the original actually. I loved the SP and loved the MP. I had a lot more experience with GRAW which seems similar so I could probably get right into it.

Well it plays like SOCOM 1 and 2 mixed together, with a couple new needed tricks. So you should be happy if you loved the mp from S1. Only thing is, I'm not sure how server stability is yet, didn't get to try it out today yet.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Was finally able to log in last night and play without an server/game issues. Had fun :D Little rusty on socom though so I did pretty badly lol

Lion Heart said:
Fuck it, im cracking this bitch open and going wild.

I haven't opened mine yet, but that's because I've been a bit busy. I'll definitely try to get some time in before the LSU/South Carolina game tomorrow.

djkimothy

WTF!!!

So I bought the game out of PSN and the patch downloaded fine.

I find a room that I can get into, go into lobby, and I can't get into any of the games.

I've been into 3 games, that lasted no longer than 45 seconds before I get booted. WTF is going on. Has this been persisting since launch? Warhawk wasn't this bad.

I have a 60 GB launch PS3. If that makes a difference.

spwolf

djkimothy said:
WTF!!!

So I bought the game out of PSN and the patch downloaded fine.

I find a room that I can get into, go into lobby, and I can't get into any of the games.

I've been into 3 games, that lasted no longer than 45 seconds before I get booted. WTF is going on. Has this been persisting since launch? Warhawk wasn't this bad.

I have a 60 GB launch PS3. If that makes a difference.

go to the servers that have less than 200 users on them, a lot less if possible.

joshschw

I can not get the headset to register.

I charged it, and now I am doing like the manual says.

Plug it in directly. It should flash green but mine just does the solid red for 2 seconds.

Help me!!!! :p

patsu

joshschw said:
I can not get the headset to register.

I charged it, and now I am doing like the manual says.

Plug it in directly. It should flash green but mine just does the solid red for 2 seconds.

Help me!!!! :p

You need to plug the USB into a different port. It is hidden right on top of the power switch on the headset itself.

After pairing, you can ignore that hidden port.

joshschw

patsu said:
You need to plug the USB into a different port. It is hidden right on top of the power switch on the headset itself.

After pairing, you can ignore that hidden port.

Yeah, I realize this, but it is still not working.

GQman2121

Banned
How's the game currently running online? I'll assume not good since the Playstation official site won't even load right now.......

oneHeero

joshschw said:
Yeah, I realize this, but it is still not working.
After you charge it(straight into the headset) for 3hrs straight not just for 1hr all you do is turn on the headset.

Thats literally all I did. I had MGS4 headset paired, I charged socom headset for a few hrs and took it off the usb cord. Turned it on via pushing the power button and thats it. It worked and has worked since than..

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
Along with the frequent freezing there's a reload problem. I reload and it just repeats the action & animation over again...

Besides those issues the game is great but the same could be said about SOCOM 2...

J-Rzez

JB1981 said:
I think this game takes the cake for the most patched game in the shortest period of time ever.

That it does. But, you can look at it two ways. Either, the game is so flawed it needs it. OR, the dedication of Seth and S6 is incredible to be working on this game as much as they are. :lol

But regardless, when running right, they NAILED that SOCOM gameplay, and enhanced it. Great stuff.

They DIRELY NEED to get a party system in the game though. Cause, I'd like to play with my friends, and even S3 had a feature to aid that. It's bullshit to not have that feature in this day and age, especially in an online only game.

And, once again. Where the hell are the rest of the weapons? If they think I'm going to pay for them DLC, they have another thing coming when SOCOMs of the past had them day one.

djkimothy

spwolf said:
go to the servers that have less than 200 users on them, a lot less if possible.

Well I figured out a trick. I have a better chance "joining" mid game if I switch teams then green up. But I'm likely to get booted within 30 seconds.

However, I finally got to play a normal game as if nothing was wrong, but only when the room was in start up mode, ie not mid game. So I have to find games that are just starting up. :/

And, once again. Where the hell are the rest of the weapons? If they think I'm going to pay for them DLC, they have another thing coming when SOCOMs of the past had them day one.

I have a feeling they're going to be rewarded after achieving something. That's what they did in the past I think. But that was Zipper, during different times. SO who knows they'll probably go the way of Scamco.

spwolf

man my MSI headset is really crappy piece of shit. It sucks more than connection errors when you try to login to Socom :)... cant wait for Socom one to arrive...

spwolf

and what sucks more is me trying Socom on another PS3 (PSN version) and now it is locked for 24hrs on my acct.... cmn 24hrs, pass bitch.

J-Rzez

djkimothy said:
I have a feeling they're going to be rewarded after achieving something. That's what they did in the past I think. But that was Zipper, during different times. SO who knows they'll probably go the way of Scamco.

Well, one can hope. But the strat guides don't have them listed how to unlock, so I guess they're not in this build. But, in one of their vids, I noticed there was a gun or two that didn't make it in the game, like they showed a barrett off. And, we all know, the barrett was the answer to the M87LER for the terrorists.

joshschw

oneHeero said:
After you charge it(straight into the headset) for 3hrs straight not just for 1hr all you do is turn on the headset.

Thats literally all I did. I had MGS4 headset paired, I charged socom headset for a few hrs and took it off the usb cord. Turned it on via pushing the power button and thats it. It worked and has worked since than..

Got it working. The problem was that it messed up initially or something so I had to go to the "Manage Accessories" or whatever and delete it first.

Couldn't get into a game when i tried tough :p
This is my first PS3 game :lol

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
Damn I guess I'm going to grab this tomorrow. Since I've never played it before it should prove interesting. Well as long as it is closer to tactical that is, I get tired of run and gun games.

ravien56

so for everyone here playing, whats your preferred weapon of choice? Im still debating on what to use as a regular weapon...and are the machine guns any good to use? right now im using for commandos, a m14 with a scope and a stg77 with a gl

Doel

My friend has been on for the past 3 hours and said he's only been disconnected once, and its been running really smooth.

btkadams

Arkaerial said:
Damn I guess I'm going to grab this tomorrow. Since I've never played it before it should prove interesting. Well as long as it is closer to tactical that is, I get tired of run and gun games.
if you want tactical and are tired of run and gun games this is the game for you.

as far as anyones concerned, resistance 2 and socom are THE shooters to buy for ps3 this fall/winter because you get the best arcade shooter and the best tactical shooter.

Doel

speculawyer said:
Why are there no reviews for this game?
Already been answered. Game was sent out on Monday/Tuesday due to the 1.10 patch that had to be added before release and the 2.5 firmware for the headset.

Reviews will be rolling out over the course of the next week.

Game is running PERFECT right now.

DaFish

cjtiger300 said:
this network initlazation failed is pissing me off. I just want to play this awesome (when its working) game!!!!!!!!!

Getting the same here. :/

update : working again somewhat...

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Remember that bug in beta where the sound cuts off and the game freezes when you load anything?

It's in the current version, cuz i got it today.

I lol'd

But for the three or so rounds that i actually got goin without problems. Gotta say i missed SOCOM. It feels right...ya know what i mean?

And mad respect for like literally remaking frostfire. It's like they used the same textures and everything. It feels as if nothing changed.

Hellraizah

M_A_C said:
yes, there is a southpaw option. Also, the servers seem to be running better tonight.

The "Lefty" configuration is NOT southpaw. Southpaw inverts the left analog stick with the right one. The lefty configuration only deals with buttons placement, it doesn't change anything with the analog sticks, which is pretty stupid.

SuperPac

Two things...

- Trying to invite friends to your game on this is retarded. You seemingly have to scroll through your entire buddy list, click to add one friend, then scroll all the way to the end so you can get to "Done" and send the invite. Then if there are network issues and you get a "some actions could not be completed due to network error" you have no idea whether it sent an invite or not.

- Every time I select "Quit Game" from the XMB, it reboots my whole system -- doesn't just exit out to the main XMB dash.

GQman2121

Banned
I have almost no constructive criticisms for this game right now; there are just so many odd design choices that they've made, that I don't know where to begin.

The random freezes/pauses are bad enough, but then the shit will just out right crash forcing me to have to hard reset, so I'm fucking out until the next patch or ten is published.

I'm so disappointed.

Top Bottom