• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - Impressions/reviews/etc

Movement

Captain N said:
okay so I can't seem to plug the headset into the PS3 without getting a red light..what do I need to do in order to get a green light?

You're probaly seeing the red ring light. That's not the right light, the power light will turn on and its the little one above the ring that only flashes for a brief amount of time.

Jagernaut

I picked up the game yesterday through the Toyrsus B2G1Free sale and it played fine last night (they do need to work on reducing the load time, it seems to take longer to load maps than COD4 and that game ran off the disc not the harddrive). I've played all the Socoms except Combined Assault, and I was in the GAF Socom 2 clan so I would be interested in joining up in a new GAF clan. I tried the new camera but didn't like it, the classic camera is great though.

My PSN ID is: Static7

el Diablo

Banned
Doel said:
My friend is having that problem. Instead of going to "Quit", try clicking something on the XMB that then tells you that you need to quit the game and asks you if you want to quit, ie: Time & Date settings on the XMB. It will then quit the game and take you straight to that without, hopefully, resetting the console.

Thanks, guess i'll try this next time. Sad that you have to even attempt something so ghetto just to quit out to the XMB heh.

Rorschach

AgentOtaku said:
First day launch was shit ...since then, servers stability has returned and it's been a smooth experience. Just got done playing for about an hour

fin said:
I can't sleep, it's about 7:00 am and it's working now!!!! You might have a problem initializing network but once you finish that it's good to go. I'm liking it so far. No lag.

Doel said:
There are no bugs. It was just server-overload and last night it was working flawlessly for me. And its so damn fun :D
Thanks for the responses. Went out and got it today. Installing now. :D

Had a mini-marathon last night and got to check most of the maps, think I went 3 straight hours. Can't remember the last time I played a MP shooter in a stretch like that (probably SII, heh). SOCRACK is BACK.

I think I'm finally warming to 32 player matches. When everybody has a mic people seem to naturally congregate to their own mini-squads and chokepoints, which results in some pretty fantastic shoot outs. Its not as chaotic as I thought it was going to be and remains pretty tactical.

How do you guys like the new maps so far? Fallen and Urban Wasteland seem pretty cool from what I played. Fallen has a really terrific design for Demolition. Its pretty open ended on the perimiter but there's all sorts of ambush points to wade through in the ruins and tunnels. UW has a really gritty atmosphere, lots of nasty sniper spots too. Wasn't crazy about Quarantine, feels a bit too straightforward, more like something out of COD.

Nos_G

Hit me a Friends' Invite to get a clan invite.

PSN is Nos_G.

A little warning though, at the moment there is no easy way to join up with each other without posting an actual channel and game room.

There is currently no party option or a way to tell where your clan members are.

Come on Slant6 get this game proper community features!!

EDIT: Try sending me an in-game message instead for faster clan invites, or try applying that way.

btkadams

Nos_G said:
Hit me a Friends' Invite to get a clan invite.

PSN is Nos_G.

A little warning though, at the moment there is no easy way to join up with each other without posting an actual channel and game room.

There is currently no party option or a way to tell where your clan members are.

Come one Slant6 get this game proper community features!!
is it the GAF clan? or a different one

KBox

So I install the game, load it, install a software update, get a data corrupted screen bypass that and save the game again with new profile, and then in the briefing room to find a custom match it says Failed to connect to channels due to error. BAH!

JB1981

Ok ... so I got a few game and now I remember why my initial impressions of this game were so positive. This shit is solid, when it works. And the sound - m god, the sound. Best ever.

WinFonda

So how recommendable does GAF find this game + the headset? I really want the headset, and it seems like a nice deal for both. Maybe it's best to pick it up later in the year when they've had the chance to iron out the bugs / fix the servers?

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
It is kind of insulting to not be able to put in a game and start playing it instantly. Bought the bundle, installed it(which understandably takes a while), started it uh oh! Patch found! Hour later, it is still downloading.

FFS, Sony. I like you but you are breaking my balls here.

graywolf323

okay for the life of me I can't seem to get the headset to pair with my PS3....

I charged it fully on the stand connected to my PC, then I connect the headset itself straight to my PS3

and it flashes the red light to mean something went wrong

wtf am I supposed to do?

Rorschach

GG, gentlemen. I was the Inky fellow aiming for your head.

graywolf323 said:

I charged it fully on the stand connected to my PC, then I connect the headset itself straight to my PS3

wtf am I supposed to do?
Did you test it afterwards? Mine did the same thing, but it worked. You're supposed to leave it hooked for a little bit.

Doel

graywolf323 said:

wtf am I supposed to do?
Mine flashed red too, believe me its paired fine. I think there is a typo on the colour in the instruction manual. Just turn your headset on and it should work fine.

Everdred

70% of the time when I try to play this game I fail to connect to the network. Its starting to piss me off. However, once I'm in its pretty lagless and awesome.

Somnia

KBox said:
So I install the game, load it, install a software update, get a data corrupted screen bypass that and save the game again with new profile, and then in the briefing room to find a custom match it says Failed to connect to channels due to error. BAH!

That happened to me also. Go into your save files and delete your socom save...fixed my problem.

Abztract

Banned
Got this today and after the patching I've spent the last 4 hours trying to play this damn game and no luck as of yet. Thankx for busting my tendertesticlessony!

SwitchBladeKneegrow said:
Glad I didn't pick this up today now, saturday nights are an awesome time for maintenance...

I did, and the game is just hanging at the Initializing Network screen.

I think Sony recalled the wrong game.

zedge

Rorschach said:
Network initialization failed.

FAILURE!

This game is a fucking joke.

I rented it as I am leary on purchasing the game. My fears were confirmed, its worse than the goddamn beta.

After an hour long install, update process (fuck this shit on PS3 is getting old and tired). I have successfully connected to one game, in which I promptly lost connection to. Now I can't even connect at all, network initialization failed...

Why the hell was this game even released like this? Disgusting.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
DaFish said:
We've got a GAF room going right now (7:48 EST)

-US Central 4

-GAF FUN

Yeah, good games guys. The last game I played my PS3 froze so I decided to quit at that point. Nice to play with Teepo and defensor again from the Socom 2 clan.

Dammit the patch won't download for me at all. I've been having trouble with a lot of patches latley since I just got a brand new ps3 back from sony. I had to patch GTA4 and COD4 again since they gave me a new system and everytime I go to download a patch I get signed out then the patch stop downloading and I get a timed out error.

Teknoman

So how is the headset voice quality? Better than other bluetooth headsets? And is there a discernible difference with HQ mode on?

This is a bit shite aint it, i got tempted by the headset and bought the package. The game feels very last gen in design looks a bit iffy too plays like shite. Overall not very good, and whats with the loading.

btkadams

supermackem said:
This is a bit shite aint it, i got tempted by the headset and bought the package. The game feels very last gen in design looks a bit iffy too plays like shite. Overall not very good, and whats with the loading.
so youve managed to play a match and you still think its shitty? wow, i guess you dont like this type of game?

kevm3

supermackem said:

That was one of my biggest complaints with the game. I wouldn't say it played like garbage, but I didnt' find the gameplay overly compelling. I felt, like you, that it was 'last-gennish.' That's what really catering to the Socom 2 guys did for this game. I just wish the character models were bigger and the overall gameplay a bit smoother. In terms of feel, it's like night and day when you switch between Socom and COD4. Where I do think Socom excels is in teamwork. Teamwork was essentially nonexistant in COD4, and a lot of that had to do with game design. Here, teamwork is a lot more effective. My experiences came from the beta, so I may have to play the full version to come to any new conclusions.

Everdred

I'm about to give up on this game...

4 Game freezes.
Sometimes it won't let me join any games just goes through a loop of joining and then getting disconnected.
Servers are down constantly. (Atleast whenever I try to play)
Gameplay feels very last gen. (I am very much into this type of game)
Interface/Navigation/Menus are awful.
Map the goddam lean to the dpad or something. Motion controls do not work well.
No party/community features yet

This game should have been delayed at least 3 more months.

Xater

WTF?

I jsut bought the game but can't paly at all. I get thrown out of the lobby or I am stuck in it for all eternity. This is horrible so far.

Top Bottom