• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM Confrontation - Impressions/reviews/etc

JB1981

DenogginizerOS said:
I have to do some work in the lab tonight so I am not sure if I can start the clan up tonight, but I will investigate and try to set it up either late tonight or before the weekend. We can just jump in and see where this takes us. Perhaps we can convince MrBob to join us since he needs a headset.

I will play with you .....

Q-bert

Banned
Hey I'd like an invite to the clan too and FR on PSN so we can hookup: PSN xQ-Bertx

It would be nice to get some clan organization going with at least a quasi-regular group before the in game clan calendar/ladder/tournament functionality gets put in (possibly in the next patch [month or two away?])

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So the latest patch made the game better?
I should give it a try... (Another try.... )

Q-bert

Banned
Fersis said:
So the latest patch made the game better?
I should give it a try... (Another try.... )

I dont think anybody said that yet :lol

It's like the other patches: it fixed some thing, it created some new problems.
Overall, a net plus.

But I'm not sure what problems caused you to not play it so much in the past?

Cruzader

Banned
Id love to be in a clan with you guys too but we have to choose which faction we all agree to be on too. Like the best one that has the best gun?(I kinda like the Famas)

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Q-bert said:
I dont think anybody said that yet :lol

It's like the other patches: it fixed some thing, it created some new problems.
Overall, a net plus.

But I'm not sure what problems caused you to not play it so much in the past?
Lag on the main menu (Yeah.. on the MAIN MENU!) , trouble finding games,lots of crashes and lots and lots of net disconnections.. i pretty much dont play games that crashes my
PS3 too often :p
And of course the UI cant be more awful.

shpankey

not an idiot
DenogginizerOS said:
I sent you a friend invite last night on PSN. Mine is Denogginizer.

Any suggestions for a clan name?
hmm...

GAFCOM
Diesel GAF
NeoGAF Ghosts
NeoGAF Baby Seals
Berieve
Wall Guys
Old Gaffer
2nd Job GAF'rs
Never change GAF
Fish in a Barrel
GAF in a Barrel
Fish in a GAF

... :lol I got nothin' ;) though I kinda like Wall Guys. hehe. Hopefully that can at least get your mind going to think of something. I'm good with whatever you come up with though.

Dibbz

dakiparu said:
Spoken with TTP, he said it's horrible, 20fps and nothing similar to what socom was...
Woah what?? I've been playing it for a day or so now and I gotta say it's reminds me so much of Socom 2. The community really helps the game since most matches consist of people using teamwork to complete objectives thanks to the bundle with the headset.

There are no really bad framerate problems unless you're really high up looking over the entire map.

Visuals are not the best but some parts of the game do look quite nice. I'm guessing because it's a PSN title there were some heavy restrictions in place.

Only played Confrontation since the 1.41 patch so can't comment on what has improved but overall it really damn good. Good enough to pull me away from Killzone 2 :D

shuri

Banned
I'm really enjoying this game, but the archaic multiplayer game selection menu is so broken and slow, i hate having to work so much to find a game.. I want to play right away damnit! It needs a complete rehaul

Q-bert

Banned
Fersis said:
Lag on the main menu (Yeah.. on the MAIN MENU!) , trouble finding games,lots of crashes and lots and lots of net disconnections.. i pretty much dont play games that crashes my
PS3 too often :p
And of course the UI cant be more awful.

Well, you have to ignore the main menu and the UI. Finding a game should take more than a minute or so: find the list of servers nearest you and go through them until you find a vacant spot in the room type of your choice (e.g. 8x8 ranked medley). Once you get in,
you should be able to stay there all night unless the crowd in the room are not compatible with you.

I would recommend quick match, except the problem is that each quick match typically only lasts you for one map. And it's the same cycle of maps, so kind of limited variety.

But anyway - if after you get into the rooms, you still get net connection problems, there's
something specific to your setup that's causing the problem (you or your ISP); I haven't had any "disconnected from game" errors since I think 1.10 patch.

shuri said:
I'm really enjoying this game, but the archaic multiplayer game selection menu is so broken and slow, i hate having to work so much to find a game.. I want to play right away damnit! It needs a complete rehaul
I had the same complaints. You can get some mileage now from the quick match, but really the only solution is playing with a group of friends. You go to the room they are in, and if there isn't room, get them to vote you an opening.

Fersis

Q-bert said:
Well, you have to ignore the main menu and the UI. Finding a game should take more than a minute or so: find the list of servers nearest you and go through them until you find a vacant spot in the room type of your choice (e.g. 8x8 ranked medley). Once you get in,
you should be able to stay there all night unless the crowd in the room are not compatible with you.

I would recommend quick match, except the problem is that each quick match typically only lasts you for one map. And it's the same cycle of maps, so kind of limited variety.

But anyway - if after you get into the rooms, you still get net connection problems, there's
something specific to your setup that's causing the problem (you or your ISP); I haven't had any "disconnected from game" errors since I think 1.10 patch.

I had the same complaints. You can get some mileage now from the quick match, but really the only solution is playing with a group of friends. You go to the room they are in, and if there isn't room, get them to vote you an opening.

Quick match didnt work at all last time i checked.
But hey, i havent tried the latest patch.

Q-bert

Banned
dakiparu said:
Spoken with TTP, he said it's horrible, 20fps and nothing similar to what socom was...

If you paid him for this insider information, see if you can get your money back. It's inaccurate.

Treo360

Q-bert said:
If you paid him for this insider information, see if you can get your money back. It's inaccurate.

Agreed. I've played this since the patch came out and it is fine. It's the my second most played game on the Ps3 behind Warhawk.

Q-bert

Banned
Fersis said:
Quick match didnt work at all last time i checked.
But hey, i havent tried the latest patch.

Either they've been fixing it on the server side all along, or it's just gotten more useful since more people are using it. I'm not sure. The latest patch didn't make any great improvement here.

But most times of the day, you can hop onto random games pretty easily this way. For example, during lunch, quite often get into a 6x6 filled with newbs. In the evening, a single guy can get matched into a larger (12x12 or so) game, which might actually last for multiple maps before everybody quits out. The main problem with quickmatch is that there's no way for late joiners to hook up with the rest of their clan/party. So after the map, people set on playing quick match will back out and recreate the party to pickup whoever they lost/missed the last time. Clunky UI again.

But anyway, for a lone wolf, it works OK, with some caveats.

Q-bert

Banned
Dibbz said:
There are no really bad framerate problems unless you're really high up looking over the entire map.
I agree. I think he must have been referencing the late join lag, which has been fixed in 1.41, it's the only time the frame drops for me. Before this patch, every time somebody connected to the (in progress) game, everybody playing the current round would experience something like 1/4 or 1/2 second total freeze up of the screen. A big hickup that ruins gun fights. It was a real problem in the 16x16 rooms, due to more joins/disconnects, but much more limited problem in 8x8 and 4x4 rooms which typically stay full for the entire map. The problem did not exist in quick match rooms, because there are no late joins to those games.

Dibbz said:
Visuals are not the best but some parts of the game do look quite nice. I'm guessing because it's a PSN title there were some heavy restrictions in place.

I think it was more budget/developer than it was PSN limitation. I tried to complain about it to some self professed SOCOM vets, and they just said "looks better than Combined Assault doesn't it?" Which is kind of end of discussion.

dakiparu

Ok time to go and get TTP promo copy of the game to test it by myself, maybe he was afraid I could kick his ass if joining the party! He knows I was better than him on Socom :lol :D

Arnie

Just bought the game, it says I need to install so I click the game install data and it says insatlling however there isn't a progress bar, is ths correct and will it eventually just finish?

Secondly if anyone wants to play just add me on psn, my psn is in my profile. Hey Beamber we should play, remember that awesome tactician teamwork on Killzone, we could be devastating in Socom!

Dibbz

Takes a few minutes for the installation to begin. It's always the case with big installations. Nothing out of the norm though.

Q-bert

Banned
I just sent FR to Denogginizer, shpankey, ARNIE. I'll be on Friday/Sunday this week usually 8-11pm EST and if I see you guys on, I'll hop on for a bit.

Re: clan faction, please pick something other than RPIMA - it's played out. :D

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Q-bert said:
I just sent FR to Denogginizer, shpankey, ARNIE. I'll be on Friday/Sunday this week usually 8-11pm EST and if I see you guys on, I'll hop on for a bit.

Re: clan faction, please pick something other than RPIMA - it's played out. :D
Is there anything wrong with being US Navy Seals?

The following appear to jumping in:
Arnie
Qbert
Beamber
Shpankey
MusashiWins
Gregor
Cruzador

I would like to keep this limited to US residents since it sounds like there are lag issues when you go outside of your region. Plus, I think I will start a thread in the Online section later with updates on PSN ids and whatnot.

I am kind of excited. :D

Dibbz

I don't think lag is really a big problem with Confrontation tbh. I've played plenty of games where US residents were in and the game was rock solid. Hell there was even a game where a Japanese guy was playing and I couldn't tell until he spoke.

Net code seems like some of the best around imo.

Is there an EU GAF clan that is active? I've heard there were some advantages to being in a clan. Anyone explain what those are? Also my Confrontation rating is still at 0 and I've played for a day or two now. How does the ranking system work in this?

Q-bert

Banned
Dibbz said:
I don't think lag is really a big problem with Confrontation tbh. I've played plenty of games where US residents were in and the game was rock solid. Hell there was even a game where a Japanese guy was playing and I couldn't tell until he spoke.

Net code seems like some of the best around imo.

Sooner or later (I'm guessing sooner), you'll see some problems every now and again.
But yes overall it's pretty good. Runs on dedicated servers. For the best experience,
you'll want to stick to ones in your region, but glad it hasn't been a problem for you yet.

Dibbz said:
Is there an EU GAF clan that is active? I've heard there were some advantages to being in a clan. Anyone explain what those are? Also my Confrontation rating is still at 0 and I've played for a day or two now. How does the ranking system work in this?

The clan benefit is you get a special gun unique to that nationality available and your character taunts are "localized". If you're RPIMA (French) your SEAL taunts will come out in French. I'm guessing upwards of %80 of clans are RPIMA due to the Famas gun perk being overpowered.
Thats it. Go ahead and make your own clan to experiment with.

All the real clan features are "Coming Real Soon Now(tm)".

About the confrontation rating, I dont understand how it works. But I think it's somewhat related to number of games played.

Arnie

Thanks for the add Q Bert, accepted :D .

Good games there Dibbz, kind of crazy how we met ingame, I'll add you later off my players list. I got disconnected from that Crossroads match, despite the fact we were doing pretty well. Ahh the gameplay is so good, puts alot of other shooters to shame in terms of depth and intensity. Nothing like seeing an enemies unguarded torso, ready for a few well placed shots with my M4.

Also if I remember from the Beta, one of the clans has some awesome body gear for Commandos. Pick that!

JB1981

Does the game still have that weird hitch online?

And can you find matchmade games with a party or is it solo matchmaking only?

Dibbz

Yup good few games there Arnie. That's a first for me, meeting another gaffer online like that :lol

I'm starting to figure out some of the maps. Crossroads is still supreme but I do like that urban map with the big multi story buildings. Hopefully we can get some active GAFers to form a clan or something.

Q-bert

Banned
JB1981 said:
Does the game still have that weird hitch online?

If you mean the momentary (1/4 or 1/2 second) pause where you entire game will halt/skip,
no. That was the "late join lag" which was just finally fixed in 1.41.

JB1981 said:
And can you find matchmade games with a party or is it solo matchmaking only?

The quick match allows you to form a party up to I think 16 people and match you in a game of appropriate size. During peak-er hours, small parties will get matched into games with larger groups. i.e. your party of 4 might join a party of 10 and a party of 2 to play against a clan of 16.

The "problem" mentioned before re: quick match games is that it's not possible for additional party members to meet up with you later. You need to exit the current game lobby and remake the party. And what happens (a lot) is that your party will be fine and ready to play more, except the other team leaves - a new opponent will not join the room and so you need to start over again. It's hit or miss whether or not you will get more than 1 map out of the quick match. And there are only so many pre-baked room configurations, such that you see alot of the same maps (Crossroads Demo FTW!).

The problem above is why I think the majority of people still prefer to park themselves in a ranked room of their choice for the entire night: you clan mates come and go, and you play the whole map rotation.

But quick match is still good for instant-fun in smaller doses.

Rorschach

Q-bert said:
Yes, quick match is fine for random casual fun.
Quickmatch sucks. Just go into the lobbies. It's not all that hard.

DenogginizerOS said:
The best gun belongs to the French. Seals have the weakest specialty gun IMO. I made a clan just for myself just so I could use the FAMAS. :p

Q-bert

Banned
Rorschach said:
Quickmatch sucks. Just go into the lobbies. It's not all that hard.
Quickmatch is by far the best way to play if you're casual, and/or looking for people who are learning to play too.

Rorschach said:
The best gun belongs to the French. Seals have the weakest specialty gun IMO. I made a clan just for myself just so I could use the FAMAS. :p

Which is why like %80 or %90 (numbers from my ass) of people use that faction. It's old. :lol

spwolf

gregor7777 said:
Is it easy enough to find a game with randoms?

it is the most played PS3 online game.... yes, there are tends of thousands people playing, about 4x more than Warhawk at best times. And thats without Europe.

Game is awesome, Socom is awesome.

I mean if you are not playing Socom because for some reason you dont like menus, I dont know what to say, really... lol.

Q-bert

Banned
spwolf said:
I mean if you are not playing Socom because for some reason you dont like menus, I dont know what to say, really... lol.

Fersis didn't like the menus. Gregor didn't have the game yet :D

Rorschach

Q-bert said:
Which is why like %80 or %90 (numbers from my ass) of people use that faction. It's old.
Hey, you get an entire team brandishing those suckers and they're unstoppable! I haven't played in a month or so, but I didn't see that many RPIMa. I usually see a lot of SAS and KSK.

[edit] Woah. Did they delete all the stats? :( I can still see my weapon stats, but my rank and my overall stats are gawn.

Q-bert

Banned
Rorschach said:
Hey, you get an entire team brandishing those suckers and they're unstoppable! I haven't played in a month or so, but I didn't see that many RPIMa. I usually see a lot of SAS and KSK.

[edit] Woah. Did they delete all the stats? :( I can still see my weapon stats, but my rank and my overall stats are gawn.

Are you in US? I haven't seen SAS or KSK in a lonnnnngggggg time.

Rorschach

Q-bert said:
Are you in US? I haven't seen SAS or KSK in a lonnnnngggggg time.
Yeah, I'm in the US. I play in US West and Canada West servers only, though. Anyway, it doesn't really matter if everyone else is using it. If they are, there's a reason why and I wouldn't want to be caught without mine. :D

Q-bert

Banned
Rorschach said:
Yeah, I'm in the US. I play in US West and Canada West servers only, though. Anyway, it doesn't really matter if everyone else is using it. If they are, there's a reason why and I wouldn't want to be caught without mine. :D

Maybe that's it, I'm east coast only. We lack original thinking out here.

DenogginizerOS said:

The following appear to jumping in:
Arnie
Qbert
Beamber
Shpankey
MusashiWins
Gregor
Cruzador

I would like to keep this limited to US residents since it sounds like there are lag issues when you go outside of your region. Plus, I think I will start a thread in the Online section later with updates on PSN ids and whatnot.

I am kind of excited. :D

Very cool, I'll be down as soon as my copy arrives.

DenogginizerOS

I am going to work on getting the clan stuff together in about an hour. I will research the various factions and decide which one to pick. Besides the French (I thought they only know how to drop guns, not fire them), what is the next best faction to take?

Nos_G

I'm probably the most terrible clan leader, I haven't played the game in a while.

I'll dissolve the clan if you guys want to start a new one.

I really wanted to love this game from day one, but the lack of the ability to play with friends from the get-go really killed it for me.

I'll hop on again once everything is in place in terms of what slant6 promised from the beginning.

DenogginizerOS

Clan is up.

Name: GAF-COM
Faction: US Navy Seals

If you haven't received an invite, and want one, send me a message via PSN.

PSN: Denogginizer

DenogginizerOS

Has anyone played since the latest patch. I am enjoying this game (even though I am terrible). Anyone want to schedul a night this week to play?

Top Bottom