• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Spike VGAs Reveals: 11/13 Teased, 4 Known For Pre-Show/Commercials

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Don't give two shit if it's Sony Smash Bros...

Unless the trailer starts out with Tombi knocking some guy's boots off with his blackjack.

Amagon

You know what, I'm gonna prepare myself for a epic disappointment once they reveal the "exclusive" just in case.

sleepykyo

I believe. Especially given the recent thread. Maybe the cast for Playstation Battle Opera (I don't care if Title Fight ends up being the final name) will surprise me though.

SykoTech

We better get some gameplay for this Title Fight game. It's Sony though. Aside from that Thor game (lol), they we're the only ones who didn't go the CGI route last year. So I guess there's hope.

"Title Fight" is a very crappy name BTW.

Neiteio

If it's anything we already know about, I'd guess Agent or Sony Smash Bros. The latter would make a nice holiday-centric annoucement, sort of a "State of the Union" for Sony showcasing all of the (maybe loveable, maybe not) characters their franchises have produced over the years. The idea of Sackboy pummeling a glowy-eyed Helghast or Nathan Drake and Sly out-thieving each other does have a certain appeal. And since it was a Sony exclusive, maybe we can get some Heavy Rain characters up in this bitch. I would totally main Nom Nom Jayden.

Wasn't one of the rumors that James Bond is in it, though? Keep that non-videogame-origin/non-Sony shit out of Sony Smash Bros., thank you.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
We better get some gameplay for this Title Fight game. It's Sony though. Aside from that Thor game (lol), they we're the only ones who didn't go the CGI route last year. So I guess there's hope.

Agreed. But I'm pretty sure it's a placeholder title.

Dohers.

Almost certainly not true but here's one guess: Rock Band 4. Harmonix are independent and own the franchise themselves; so could work with anyone they like. They also have previous history of working with Sony, so there is a relationship there. It would be unexpected because it is a well known multiplatform franchise, and would be seen as big deal because it is a franchise that once had mainstream appeal (though not recently, admittedly).

Varth

Tell me more about this invite.

Close to no info so far. Not teasing, really. Most relevant thing is the genre of the game, and I'm not supposed to share. I think it connects with the VGAs since it's in the same timeframe.

Out of curiosity: anybody knows where this year's VGAs are held?

French

Banned

That's just a code name.

Corto

diablo-3-announce.jpg

Valve-Hints-At-Half-Life-3-Gordon-Half-Life-3-Logo.jpg

If this teaser hadn't have said 'unbelievable' in it, I reckon less than 0.01% of posts in the announcement thread would have contained the word 'unbelievable'.

SykoTech

Agreed. But I'm pretty sure it's a placeholder title.

It most likely is. Hopefully they don't pull a Heroes on the Move and make the actual name worse.

That "PlayStation Battle Opera" name that everyone's raving about isn't bad. Personally, I'd prefer BattleStation, but I'm pretty sure that name's already taken. Lol.

NateDrake

Close to no info so far. Not teasing, really. Most relevant thing is the genre of the game, and I'm not supposed to share. I think it connects with the VGAs since it's in the same timeframe.

Out of curiosity: anybody knows where this year's VGAs are held?

LA.

Sony always holds a NYC event the first week of December. Last yr nothing major came from that but it was the same day UC3 was announced.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
So are you saying it's not gonna be SP, because Sony know it'll bomba? Sony released 7 SP titles. I'm pretty sure that would equate to a huge user base, that recognize, and perhaps appreciates the brand. I can't see why would Sony not want to make a brand new "re-imagining" title, that would make old fans want to get it, and would make players unfamiliar with it want to play it.
I mean we're talking about the company, that gave the green-light to make a new Twisted Metal title. Now I would argue that TM is far less relevant today than SP.

They already have their third person action franchise in Uncharted, there's no real need to bring back Syphon Filter. Even if it wouldn't surprise me if they did, considering they actually revived Twisted Metal, a franchise no one outside the US gives a flying shit about.

Varth

LA.

Sony always holds a NYC event the first week of December. Last yr nothing major came from that but it was the same day UC3 was announced.

No, it's not the Sony Showcase or Gamers' Day. It's a single title AFAIK.

Anything more precise on the location?

NateDrake

No, it's not the Sony Showcase or Gamers' Day. It's a single title AFAIK.

Anything more precise on the location?

LA is all I could find on for VGAs.

Remember last yr after the VGAs Sony held that secondary event that turned out being UC3 playable out in Cali. I'm guessing the invite you are hinting at is something similar to what that was for whatever this mystery game is.

Gomu Gomu

They already have their third person action franchise in Uncharted, there's no real need to bring back Syphon Filter. Even if it wouldn't surprise me if they did, considering they actually revived Twisted Metal, a franchise no one outside the US gives a flying shit about.

Although you might have a point here, I would argue that Sony wouldn't have a problem releasing multiple titles from the same genre, as long as it's popular. This gen Sony has two flagship FPS titles (KZ, Resistance). Last gen they had 3 flagship platforming games.

As long as the genre sells, which we know very will TPS games do, I don't think Sony minds having multiple games from the same genre, as long as they feel different enough from each other. Unlike the modern-indiana-jones-themed Uncharted, SP is more serious and is more like a government-bad-ass-agent-kicking-terrorist-in-the-balls feel to it. So yeah, it's different enough.

Pachimari

The Getaway.

Please! The first one is one of my all time favorites.

Besides my wish, I think it's for sure Title Fight. Oh, and license Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Gex.

SykoTech

Okay, so...

1. MGS Rising
2. Bioshock Infinite
3. Sony Exclusive (Title Fight)
4. New Bioware IP
5. Alan Wake XBLA

Might be missing something, but it seems there's plenty left to reveal. I remember knowing about all the games last year.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay, so...

1. MGS Rising
2. Bioshock Infinite
3. Sony Exclusive (Title Fight)
4. New Bioware IP [Generals 2?]
5. Alan Wake XBLA

Might be missing something, but it seems there's plenty left to reveal. I remember knowing about all the games last year.

The newest Transformers game was also announced to be there, but no one cares so there was no thread. :p

Why is it such a stupid idea?

- Lots of characters to use
- Lots of potential for cross marketing/promotion with 3rd parties.
- Will increase the mindshare of certain characters
- Appeals to all PlayStation fans across every generation.
- Lots of DLC options
- Potential to tie in PlayStation Home rewards
- Potential to offer PlayStation Plus rewards
- Is a franchise that could work well on Vita and future handhelds.

It's stupid ok. Nissan Skyline fighting with bald space marines, Sony has no characters, grandma doesn't know any Sony characters, it won't sell as much as Smash Bros, herp derp

Have I covered all the responses?

Top Bottom