• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

Yonafunu

Thoughts on episode 123 with the (not really a spoiler)
black centipedes
:

4uQ3wb7.gif

Maybe a bit late for this, but you're kinda in the wrong thread.

This is the community thread, with manga talk and everything. This is the anime thread.

bobawesome

I didn't bother reading too many of the posts because I assumed they'd be filled with spoilers. Everyone's free to point and laugh as I hang my head in shame. Sorry if I bothered anyone.

Yonafunu

I didn't bother reading too many of the posts because I assumed they'd be filled with spoilers. Everyone's free to point and laugh as I hang my head in shame. Sorry if I bothered anyone.

Oh no, you're not bothering at all, I just thought maybe you didn't know that. And I wouldn't want you to get spoiled because of that.

bobawesome

Oh no, you're not bothering at all, I just thought maybe you didn't know that. And I wouldn't want you to get spoiled because of that.

I spend most of my time on GAF in the gaming section and didn't realize series had both dedicated anime and manga threads. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction; I'll be sure to come back here after catching up one of these days.

Mortemis

Banned
I spend most of my time on GAF in the gaming section and didn't realize series had both dedicated anime and manga threads. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction; I'll be sure to come back here after catching up one of these days.

I doubt anyone cares that you're posting anime stuff here, this is basically a general HxH thread and not just manga so no need to erase your posts. You'll be spoiled by reading either thread anyways, the anime one just has less. :p

I'm subbed to this thread so if you post here I'll get to read your posts, lol.

Anyways I've been rewatching the anime with my brother and seeing yorknew again made me think of how stupid Kurapika's abilities are, like we talked about a while back. He only had conditions on one, how the fuck is he so OP?

Yonafunu

Wait, he deleted his posts? Damn, that really wasn't my intention.

Also, I completely forgot the other thread would technically have spoilers as well. My bad!

Come back :(

BlazS01

Banned
I doubt anyone cares that you're posting anime stuff here, this is basically a general HxH thread and not just manga so no need to erase your posts. You'll be spoiled by reading either thread anyways, the anime one just has less. :p

I'm subbed to this thread so if you post here I'll get to read your posts, lol.

Anyways I've been rewatching the anime with my brother and seeing yorknew again made me think of how stupid Kurapika's abilities are, like we talked about a while back. He only had conditions on one, how the fuck is he so OP?

Well I assume the reason why the nen on that chain is so strong besides the restriction is because of the hatred he has towards the genei ryodan (they call it phantom troupe in English, I don't like it u.u), nen can get stronger the stronger feelings and determination the user has and well... Kurapika does have deep hatred towards them, been like that for a really long time so I suppose it boost nen a lot. Also the restriction that you can't use that chain for anyone besides genei ryodan or you die is pretty extreme as well. But well it's pretty unfair that it applies to only one of his finger chain and not all of them, it's pretty broken and unfair nonetheless. u.u

But well also need to keep in mind the fact that Kurapika got the scarlet eyes power boost. It was stated by Ubogin that the people of the Kuruta clan were pretty tough when he fought them, so I guess the scarlet eyes can boost the power of nen in a huge amount to all kuruta clan, and more to kurapika specially since he seems to be pretty gifted. We know that kurapika with emperor eyes turns to specialization which grants 100% capability of any nen type but I refer more to the overall power boost rather than the change of nature of his nen.

-So in short terms why is Kurapika so OP?
-Answer: Scarlet eyes boost (should be huge) + deep hatred + death condition.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(I'm derailing at this point, feel free to ignore :p, I just wanted to vent it because some people doesn't seem to understand) :

Anyway I made a distinction there (change of nen nature vs power boost) because I've seen how many people tend to confuse some things about nen (Not here in NeoGAF specifically, I'm talking more about other internet forums in general from discussions I've seen and that I happen to remember now and i just want to vent it. It's pretty pointless to post it here since I haven't seen anyone on here with this confusion but somehow I feel like doing anyway xd). They make the asumption that, for example:

Any person with 100% reinforcement type > Other person with 80% reinforcement type *In a fist fight with reinforcement nen* (just giving random numbers of %, I just want to make the context clear, also the nen type is as example)

But this is not true because %'s are relative to the user "inner aura strength" (or current aura strength, call it however you want). Someone having 100% of one nen type doesn't mean that they will win against other person with lower % of same type in a fight that uses those types of nen specifically.

For example, it is heavily hinted that Ging is emission type, and I wouldn't doubt that he would beat the shit out of any "normal" reinforcement nen user in a fist fight using reinforcement alone. If we could give to the "overall aura strength" of a person a numerical value then it would be way more clear, as random example:
100% of 10 < 80% of 1000.

And well I don't even know why I typed this here tbh :p, just a random vent, but well one of my points was that I suppose scarlet eyes of kuruta clan boost the "overall aura strength" of Kurapika in a huge way (besides the fact that it changes the nature nen type to 100% in each category ) and that would be some of the reasons why Kurapika is so OP so early in the series "with only" one condition on his nen, he has other factors that boost nen massively.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway I just hope manga restarts soon, but well I heard more dragon quest games are coming out (or already got released) so I guess Togashi will remain "sick" for a long time :c

bobawesome

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I was too hasty in deleting the previous posts in that case.

Wait, he deleted his posts? Damn, that really wasn't my intention.

Also, I completely forgot the other thread would technically have spoilers as well. My bad!

Come back :(

Oh, don't worry. I was just embarrassed is all. It was never my intention to leave the thread entirely.

With that out of the way, I finally finished the anime. I started the first episode a few months ago and put the series to the side. Frankly, it didn't really do much to catch my interest.

"Oh boy, a story about a young boy in search of his dad. That sounds exciting." I thought. I sure showed myself!

A few thought highlights:

• The Chimera Ant arc dragged on longer than I would have liked but the battle with Neferpitou and its aftermath redeem most of the complaints I had with the pacing .

• After Yorknew there's a severe lack of everyone's favorite character, Leorio.

• I'm a bit disappointed that Kurapika has managed to successfully keep both of his eyes so far. As it is, he's almost too powerful. Togashi, pls nerf.

Yonafunu

Yeah, I thought that might mean March 19th, but that's on a Friday and I think WSJ comes out on Mondays.

Anybody know if that's correct?

Jigolo

It doesn't say that the series will actually be back for issue #16, just that we'll get more details in issue #16 (which is due for release on March 19, but I imagine they will leak a few days before that, as usual).

Oh I see

Kyuur

The chapters were packed with information, so it probably is a summary :lol: There are some good images to capture the key players and locations though:

Factions & Relationships
d88ca1b75f3e94c34fdb956d348afbe51621a070.png

Dark Continent Calamity Locations
5f7154166cf2adb932f3ef2e7c34092b70533ec7.png

Yonafunu

That chart seems to say that Maha went to the Dark Continent with Netero, while the manga said it was Zzigg. Is that a retcon or something?

So is it going be weekly releases or monthly? I've never read the manga.

Jump is a weekly magazine....but it's HxH so it's whenever Togashi decides to release a chapter. We could get 2 in a row and then a week hiatus, we could get 9 in a row and then another year hiatus. Assume nothing each week.

Jigolo

hYk5TiC.jpg

Apparently it was always back pain and the back pain was due to weight gain. He's now thinner and exercising.

vypek

Just caught up with the manga over the past week. I'm actually not loving the dark continent arc so far but that can definitely change. Glad this is coming back. Think I will also watch the dub on Toonami as it starts up this weekend.

So I guess Gon and Killua are going to the Dark Continent too. Does this mean the coming run is going to last at least long enough to get to that?

Damn, even seeing just that art is getting me pumped.
Are they? I thought Killua is doing his own thing and Gon Is busy writing those Hunter reports :v isn't it just Oreo and Kurapika this time?

Are they? I thought Killua is doing his own thing and Gon Is busy writing those Hunter reports :v isn't it just Oreo and Kurapika this time?

At the moment yes just those two are heading to the DC, since Gon is Nenless on Whale Island and Killua is who knows where with his sister. Chances are they will be dragged into this arc, it's just a question of when.

At the moment yes just those two are heading to the DC, since Gon is Nenless on Whale Island and Killua is who knows where with his sister. Chances are they will be dragged into this arc, it's just a question of when.
theyll show up when one of them gets killed. Hopefully Kurapika
I'm guessing that's just the editorial insert
Yeah, some intern probably just wrote a generic passage.

Yonafunu

Yeah I'm sure they'll get involved in some way, Gon through Ging and Killua through Alluka. It's that theory about the main four corresponding to the calamities.

Regardless, that is new art, and it's Gon and Killua together. They'll meet up in some capacity.

woopWOOP

Two more days? I thought it was next week's issue. Shit, getting really hyped again now (I already had two HxH related dreams weeks ago, lmao)
And Hunter x Hunter premieres this week on Toonami. It's really happening, y'all.
Oh I didn't know, that's cool. Curious about the main cast's voice work, especially Hisoka.

Yonafunu

It's going to be interesting to see how Gon'll be brought back into the fold., especially without his Nen. I don't expect Togashi to start adressing that until later on, though.

vypek

Oh, thanks for the link!
Sounds pretty good. Now to wait and see if he can do the creepy moans as well too ;]

...Hold on, Toonami is broadcast from 12 to 3 AM? Who has the time to actually watch that stuff?

People with nothing to do on a Sunday morning or I guess a lot of people will just use DVR. Even if I watch live I have enough time to get up and do everything I need to do anyways.

Top Bottom