• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass shooting at church in Charleston, SC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Downhome

I'm just starting to see this news here in SC...

http://myfox8.com/2015/06/17/police-respond-to-report-of-shooting-at-charleston-church/

CHARLESTON, S.C. — Police are responding to a report of a shooting at a Charleston church.

The incident happened at about 9 p.m. at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church on Calhoun Street in downtown Charleston.

Charleston police have not confirmed any information on victims.

Multiple media outlets, citing scanner traffic, say this may be a mass shooting situation.

BobLoblaw

Banned
We need more guns!!! /sigh Hope things turn out ok. Looking at that twitter feed it, looks like this could be race related. Hope not.

We need more guns!!! /sigh Hope things turn out ok. Looking at that twitter feed it, looks like this could be race related. Hope not.

I hate when people use situations like this to push their ignorant political agendas. As if a criminal would be deterred from buying a gun because it's illegal.

I hate when people use situations like this to push their ignorant political agendas. As if a criminal would be deterred from buying a gun because it's illegal.

So in order to balance things out, you take his post as a chance to push an equally/if not more ignorant political agenda? Good job.

BobLoblaw

Banned
So you're saying if this country didn't have stricter guns laws, not one single life would be saved? That sounds pretty ignorant in my book. Fact is, easy access to gun is why the US has things like this happen on a monthly basis and if you can find me another first world country where shit like this happens, I'd gladly take back my original argument.

Dryk

In a lot of cases the criminal in these has much easier access to guns than the black market. Not to mention a lot of domestic violence incidents. It's an extra barrier to entry so it would have an effect, we just don't know how much.

But since we don't know about where and how the perpetrator in this case acquired the gun it's not really the time or the place for that discussion.

Patryn

Terrible tragedy.

Doesn't help that my wife is in Charleston at a conference and is staying at a hotel that's only a few blocks away from the shooting site.

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
So the cops just cuffed someone and took them into the Marriott.. grey shirt, blue pants, white.. hmm. Would suck for him to be all over the news and it's not even the right guy.

I hate when people push the "WE CAN'T TALK ABOUT FIXING THE ISSUE CAUSE THE BLOOD IS STILL WARM" trope every fucking time we have a mass shooting.

But it's a good card to use, cause with all the shootings we have in the country the blood never gets cold, so it's always inappropriate to bring up the root cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom