• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass shooting at church in Charleston, SC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I couldn't really believe what I was hearing there, a 'gray toolbox with an 86 min counter on it'. WTF.

Mentioned on scanner for all EMS and police to maintain a perimeter and stay away from the front of the scene, safe distance. Maybe there is a weird device.

Wait what?
That's not normal.

Opto

Banned
Honest question: Aren't most white guys that do this loner unabomber types? They typically aren't funded. They don't claim to be affiliated with any type of organization. They just plot their shit all alone and then unleash hell when they snap.
While not typically attached to a terrorist cell, these attacks can be affiliated with radical rightwing fringe ideologies or schools of thought, and while not ordered by a chain of command, it is still terrorism. The FBI is mostly concerned with lone wolf attacks

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
That is exactly what I said. o_O I wish I had a recording of it. 'Incendiary device, gray tool box, 86 minute counter' is what I heard, and the dispatcher repeated. The fuck.

Typically, when something horrible like that happens, people become suspicious of anything even remotely odd. A better safe then sorry mantra that I don't exactly blame them for. An old toolbox left somewhere would qualify.

They, however, never have timers on them.

\/ Yeah, I hope it just stays rumors too Fiction. \/

Terrible tragedy.

Doesn't help that my wife is in Charleston at a conference and is staying at a hotel that's only a few blocks away from the shooting site.

What hotel???

@jlharrison_news
Police just said suspect called in with threat bombs are planted all downtown to activate in 81 minutes #CharlestonShooting #BreakingNews
Holy shit!

Man I'm getting tears in my eyes. What the fuck.

How could someone do this? Holy fuck.

Rest in peace to all the victims out there.

Oh god please let that bomb threat be bullshit. The 86 minute timer Fiction was talking about would match up with them saying they would blow up in 81 minutes.

I was talking about American media and mass shootings in our country. But I might have been proven wrong already.

McVeigh and the Unabomber were definitely described as terrorists but the white kids who shot up various schools and theaters throughout the years definitely were not described that way, while the soldier (who was a Muslim) who shot up Ft. Hood was.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Probably. That church is also very historically significant I believe, could be an attempt at a symbolic hate crime.

maybe

"Mother Emanuel" A.M.E. Church History

The history of Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church reflects the development of religious institutions for African Americans in Charleston. Dating back to the fall of 1787 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Richard Allen founded the Free African Society, adhering to the Doctrines of Methodism established by John Wesley. In 1816, black members of Charleston's Methodist Episcopal church withdrew over disputed burial ground, and under the leadership of Morris Brown. The Rev. Morris Brown organized a church of persons of color and sought to have it affiliated with Allen's church. Three churches arose under the Free African Society and were named the "Bethel Circuit". One of the Circuit churches was located in the suburbs of Ansonborough, Hampstead, and Cow Alley, now known as Philadelphia Alley in the French Quarters of Charleston. Emanuel's congregation grew out of the Hampstead Church, located at Reid and Hanover Streets.

In 1822 the church was investigated for its involvement with a planned slave revolt. Denmark Vesey, one of the church's founders, organized a major slave uprising in Charleston. Vesey was raised in slavery in the Virgin Islands among newly imported Africans. He was the personal servant of slavetrader Captain Joseph Vesey, who settled in Charleston in 1783. Beginning in December 1821, Vesey began to organize a slave rebellion, but authorities were informed of the plot before it could take place. The plot created mass hysteria throughout the Carolinas and the South. Brown, suspected but never convicted of knowledge of the plot, went north to Philadelphia where he eventually became the second bishop of the AME denomination.

During the Vesey controversy, the AME church was burned. Worship services continued after the church was rebuilt until 1834 when all black churches were outlawed. The congregation continued the tradition of the African church by worshipping underground until 1865 when it was formally reorganized, and the name Emanuel was adopted, meaning "God with us". The wooden two-story church that was built on the present site in 1872 was destroyed by the devastating earthquake of August 31, 1886. The present edifice was completed in 1891 under the pastorate of the Rev. L. Ruffin Nichols. The magnificent brick structure with encircling marble panels was restored, redecorated and stuccoed during the years of 1949-51 under the leadership of the Rev. Frank R. Veal. The bodies of the Rev. Nichols and his wife were exhumed and entomed in the base of the steeple so that they may forever be with the Emanuel that they helped to nurture.

vityaz

Aw, you sound hurt.

We're talking about America, a country where actual domestic terrorism is ignored daily

Wisconsin Sikh temple shooting is a pretty recent mass shooting which is seen as a an act of domestic terrorism, by a white guy.

Diablos

So in case you haven't been paying attention, rest of the world, this nation has a serious problem with hate crime and gun violence and it just never ends.

This is so ridiculous. RIP to all the victims.

So the Reverend and his daughter were among those killed? Holy shit. :(

edit: Sorry, status unconfirmed. I connected "shot" with "killed"

Ke0

Not again... Rest in peace all of the victims and condolences to their families.

When will something be done about this?

Well I mean you guys had a kindergarten full of children killed and nothing was done about it except a moment of silence or two.

I'm very much doubting an African church being shot would change anything. For things to change in your country you're going to need a bunch of 1%ers wife and children killed by a crazy gunmen before anything really changes. I don't mean like a family making 150k, I mean CEOs, high ranking executives of fortune 500 companies who control your laws.

Since the chances of that happening are slim to none...the reality is not a single thing will change. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom