• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass shooting at church in Charleston, SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus this is fucked up.

Horrible coincidence/timing with a certain movie that has a church shooting having come out earlier in the year. Hopefully nobody makes the connection.

Jesus this is fucked up.

Horrible coincidence/timing with a certain movie that has a church shooting having come out earlier in the year. Hopefully nobody makes the connection.

It was months ago. I doubt it will even come up. If it happened like a week after, you might have something.

Unless the shooter just bought it.

riotous

Banned
So the cops just cuffed someone and took them into the Marriott.. grey shirt, blue pants, white.. hmm. Would suck for him to be all over the news and it's not even the right guy.

That's the description the article in the OP gave.

Police described the gunman as a white male wearing a gray sweatshirt and blue jeans. Police said he was approximately 21 years old.

How do you gun down so many people and not end up shot by cops?

Downhome

Local news just said the guy they took into custody was just a photographer, and not the suspect. The actual suspect is still on the run.

Dishwalla

Banned
Is there any live streaming of this? Checked a couple of local stations and they weren't streaming anything, and none of the major 24 hour channels are spending too much time on it, CNN is too worried about Brian Williams right now(who gives a fuck about him anymore).

Man, this is fucked. I'll assume if it's a white suspect targeting a black church that its race related. But in the fucked up world we live in there are so many other possible reasons.

Jesus this is fucked up.

What movie?

GamerSoul

Is there any live streaming of this? Checked a couple of local stations and they weren't streaming anything, and none of the major 24 hour channels are spending too much time on it, CNN is too worried about Brian Williams right now(who gives a fuck about him anymore).
Seriously, i was like wtf at some of those channels.

TheTurboFD

I hate when people push the "WE CAN'T TALK ABOUT FIXING THE ISSUE CAUSE THE BLOOD IS STILL WARM" trope every fucking time we have a mass shooting.

But it's a good card to use, cause with all the shootings we have in the country the blood never gets cold, so it's always inappropriate to bring up the root cause.

Which is? Let's hope it's a smart response such as mental issues and not something as ridiculous as blaming the tool used for the carriers actions.

Make sure you're white.

Got to love gaffers

Which is? Let's hope it's a smart response such as mental issues and not something as ridiculous ass blaming the tool used for the carriers actions.

Blaming the tool isn't ridiculous. We have historical evidence that gun control works in preventing mass shootings. When evidence contradicts (conservative) theory, then the theory is wrong.

hom3land

Kingsman (early 2015) had a church shooting. Regardless, it was months ago I was just saying I was hoping the media wouldn't target it which as someone above mentioned it was months ago so it can't really be brought up.

Been plenty of real life shootings in a church. 2 off the top of my heaad. Michigan had the Hindu temple? Church shooting, and there was the abortion doctor gunned down in a church.

RyanDG

This will not be called terrorism of any kind by the media or police.

Now if a Muslim did the same killing, they would certainly call it terrorism.

I think its too early to start going down this path without knowing all of the motivations yet or without even knowing the background of the suspect... Furthermore, if it goes that direction, white supremacist violence acts do get reported as domestic terrorism. Look at the case of Wade Michael Page.

TheTurboFD

Why have laws then?

This is usually the response I receive when the person replying has nothing else to counter with.

Blaming the tool isn't ridiculous. We have historical evidence that gun control works in preventing mass shootings. When evidence contradicts (conservative) theory, then the theory is wrong.

Yea I mean mexico and Brasil are some of the countries that prove that /s. Hell guns are banned in England and yet this article right here states that there was an increase in gun violence. I wonder why?

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...ars-in-england-where-guns-are-banned-n1464528

RyanDG

That was a bombing.

Mass shootings have not be considered terrorism by law enforcement or media for a bit now.

It really depends on the case, but there are definitely instances in which mass shootings become defined as domestic terrorist acts. The thing to remember though is from a legal standpoint, law enforcement has a very narrow definition of what a terrorist act is. It primarily has to do with motivation and background. This is why some mass shootings do not end up falling under that definition.

PopeReal

I think its too early to start going down this path without knowing all of the motivations yet or without even knowing the background of the suspect... Furthermore, if it goes that direction, white supremacist violence acts do get reported as domestic terrorism. Look at the case of Wade Michael Page.

I will look into that. Have not heard of that case, thank you.

Mimosa97

Happens all the time in the Middle East.

Yeah but in the Middle East it's because of sectarian and religious violence. There's no such thing in the US.

The only reason why the US is the only western country where there are mass shootings every week : Gun laws. Guns laws. Gun laws.

RIP. Terrible tragedy :(

entremet

Yeah but in the Middle East it's because of sectarian and religious violence. There's no such thing in the US.

The only reason why the US is the only western country where there are mass shootings every week : Gun laws. Guns laws. Gun laws.

You mean easy access to guns?

Patryn

Apparently my wife's texting and data is now blocked.

Fits if there's a bomb and they're worried about remote detonation.

PopeReal

Not only the laws, but the emotional attachment that Americans have to their guns. Having a debate of any kind where I live is almost impossible. So many here do not want anyone taking their guns, end of debate. Mass shootings are in some far away place in other parts of the country and don't stir up the emotion that a meme on facebook does about Obama taking their guns.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Sucks, RIP the victims.

Thought it had been a little while since the US had a mass shooting, pretty terrible that it's 'only a matter of time' for these things.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Apparently my wife's texting and data is now blocked.

Fits if there's a bomb and they're worried about remote detonation.

I think this just happens when cellphone signals overload the network.

Opto

Banned
I think this just happens when cellphone signals overload the network.

Yeah. Soon after the Boston Marathon Bombing, people started to say cell service was cut but it was just an overload because obviously people were worried about each other

HyperionX

Not only the laws, but the emotional attachment that Americans have to their guns. Having a debate of any kind where I live is almost impossible. So many here do not want anyone taking their guns, end of debate. Mass shootings are in some far away place in other parts of the country and don't stir up the emotion that a meme on facebook does about Obama taking their guns.

I find this quote relevant: "None so deaf as those that will not hear. None so blind as those that will not see."

bill0527

Fair point. I have just not heard of a mass shooting by a white guy being labled as terrorism.

Honest question: Aren't most white guys that do this loner unabomber types? They typically aren't funded. They don't claim to be affiliated with any type of organization. They just plot their shit all alone and then unleash hell when they snap.

Honest question: Aren't most white guys that do this loner unabomber types? They typically aren't funded. They don't claim to be affiliated with any type of organization. They just plot their shit all alone and then unleash hell when they snap.

McVeigh wasn't necessarily funded but he had definitely been affiliated with crazy white-supremacist organizations right before the OKC bombings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom