• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banshee - Season 2 - Fridays on Cinemax (S3 trailer up, see post #937)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This interview is worth a read (skim the spoilers if you're squeamish) and they address that:

- IndieWire: The Boldest Show You Haven't Heard Of (Yet): Showrunner Greg Yaitanes Talks Cinemax's Pulp Saga 'Banshee' *some spoilers*

The fight scenes in "Banshee" are very visceral and memorable, and I wanted to ask about your approach to them, especially with the ones involving women -- they're not staged in any way as softer than the ones involving the men.

Jonathan and I love Jason Statham films. We also love the old John Carpenter films like "Big Trouble in Little China," "They Live" and things like that, so we had moments where we were like, "We're going to do a man-woman fight in episode eight of season one. If we're going to do it, let's do it. Lets make it the best man-woman fight put to screen." Marcus Young, our fight coordinator -- he is a phenomenal talent, and the way they work is great. If there's anybody I need to pull back, it's those guys. Sometimes it's like, A, I'm not going to shoot that and B, oh my god. [laughs] They'll just go. That's what I want from them. I want them to go all the way and I'll pull them back to where we're at with what's going on.

Alpende

Sounds good, I hope the fight scenes are as awesome and brutal as in season 1. Sounds like they'll do just that.

FUCK YEAH. Some spoilers but Antony teaser
about Lucas and Siobhan romance
i've waited for this all of season 1.

Yup. It needs to happen.

Also, haven't read the comics so I don't know where it goes and I don't want to be spoiled, but I really hope that Rebecca eventually takes control of Proctor's empire at some point. It would be so fucking bad-ass.

TheDanger

Banned
So Deva is his daughter I guess, right? Don't think they ever mentioned it, but it seems rather obvious. Also is Lucas' real name still unknown?

So Deva is his daughter I guess, right? Don't think they ever mentioned it, but it seems rather obvious. Also is Lucas' real name still unknown?

They do mention it. In the last episode, both Rabbit and Gordon acknowledge it.

And Lucas' real name is still unknown, yes. I hope it stays this way. :)

TheDanger

Banned
They do mention it. In the last episode, both Rabbit and Gordon acknowledge it.

And Lucas' real name is still unknown, yes. I hope it stays this way. :)

just got up to the point where they mentioned it for the first time during my rewatch minutes after I typed that.

I don't really watch a lot of tv series these days, but Banshee is #2 on my list of 3-4. So hyped. This week will be glorious.

And I find her not very good. And not that hot. :/

Yeah I agree. Caught a lot of flak for voicing my opinion of her in the season one thread.

FUCK YEAH. Some spoilers but Antony teaser
about Lucas and Siobhan romance
i've waited for this all of season 1.

I'm 90% certain that we can see
them in bed together
in the trailer.

Clevinger

I'm hoping Nola kills that dweeb-ass Burton. Maybe she makes him choke on his bowtie.

speaking of, Odette Annable's pilot didn't get picked up so I wonder if they ended up using her more.

I'm hoping Nola kills that dweeb-ass Burton. Maybe she makes him choke on his bowtie.

speaking of, Odette Annable's pilot didn't get picked up so I wonder if they ended up using her more.
Burton would destroy her.

She's too hotheaded and inexperienced. All Burton does is leer and kill.

He'd get a hatchet to his dweeb-ass glasses before he could.

glasses63c22.gif

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Also, haven't read the comics so I don't know where it goes and I don't want to be spoiled

There is only one comic, and it's a prequel that was made to promote the show. Banshee isn't based on a series of comics like The Walking Dead, so there's nothing to be spoiled on.

There is only one comic, and it's a prequel that was made to promote the show. Banshee isn't based on a series of comics like The Walking Dead, so there's nothing to be spoiled on.

Oh, wow. I didn't know that. I guess that explains why I couldn't find it on Wikipedia.

UrbanRats

Finally marathoned through the rest of S1.
This is an amazing show, if you're willing to let go some of the logic (mainly, all the characters have a very weird idea of "keeping a low profile" and nobody ever gets arrested for police brutality and shit).

I also figured out that if you're a hot blonde, you're gonna get naked, but maybe it's just a coincidence. :p

That Olek fight was badass.
The Albino was badass, but killed off too quickly.
Fistfights > Gunfights.
Kai is probably the more entertaining character so far for me and it reminds me of Antonio Albanese's character Ivo Perego in some facial expressions and speaking manners, lol (few gaffers will know who he is though).
Also, Rebecca's scene where she begs her mother not to cast her out, made me question Lili Simmons acting abilities.

UrbanRats

That review doesn't sound too good.
On the one hand, you simply have to accept the fact that the series isn't playing it straight and a lot of bullshit will be present to justify the next scene (why don't they do this or that).
However i think a genuine concern is if they start breaking the characters because of it, and start going more soft.
I frankly wish they would go even MORE crazy and comic-styled, characters like the Albino are why this series is so entertaining, in my opinion, i don't give two shits about realistic police procedures and i'm willing to overlook some (even fairly big) plot holes in that sense.
But don't start being afraid of picturing, for example, Lucas as the psycho he is and so forth.
I think it's late to backtrack on that, and it'd come off as hypocritical at best if they did.

Also, one more Origins flashback video, this one featuring Rebecca:

- The Field

O......kay. Yeah. Hm. Um. Yeah.

Kv86jtb.gif

That was really dumb though - why was she doing that right out in the open?

Pretty much my reaction and what I was thinking afterwards.

Anyway, seems this doesn't have a UK airdate yet. Bloody annoying, Sky are usually on the ball when it comes to airing US shows within a few days/week of them airing in the US.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Finally marathoned through the rest of S1.
This is an amazing show, if you're willing to let go some of the logic (mainly, all the characters have a very weird idea of "keeping a low profile" and nobody ever gets arrested for police brutality and shit).

I also figured out that if you're a hot blonde, you're gonna get naked, but maybe it's just a coincidence. :p

That Olek fight was badass.
The Albino was badass, but killed off too quickly.
Fistfights > Gunfights.
Kai is probably the more entertaining character so far for me and it reminds me of Antonio Albanese's character Ivo Perego in some facial expressions and speaking manners, lol (few gaffers will know who he is though).
Also, Rebecca's scene where she begs her mother not to cast her out, made me question Lili Simmons acting abilities.
The best part about Banshee's fistfights is that everybody gets a good trashing with long lasting effects, none of those magical bruises that disappear after just one episode. Even the women get it rough.

Usually both TV shows and films resort to "girly fights" in which the female character only knows how to throw high/round kicks, yet barely gets something harsher than a huge slap, but that fight with Olek was some brutal shit. Carrie gave EVERYTHING to him and took a beating fit for a grown ass man in exchange. There's zero pussyfooting in Banshee and I commend the showrunners for it.

Also, I wouldn't be worried about the show getting toned down considering the showrunner's remarks about S2 being twice as brutal and how much everybody loves Banshee's wackiest characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom