• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Songcontest 2011 |OT| Yes, this is what Europe sounds like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majine

Banned
Earl Cazone said:
Im not sure about the hosts. Stefan Raab is the host of some late night comedy show and is famous for his jokes and humor. I dont know who his co host is though

I'm not doubting you but Eurovision has a history of taking famous people and turning them into smiling robots.

GCX

KAOz said:
Then why did he pick Paradis Oskar?

Paradis Oskar is a famous swedish pop-culture hobo (seriously), that Astrid Lindgren came up with.
Yeah, I know that but that's what he stated anyway.

He's Finland Swedish so he probably knows about Astrid Lindgren's Paradise Oskar though.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Xater said:
Totally didn't hear that before. Turbonegro was such a fun band. Maybe this new stuff Hank is working on will be good. The talent seems to be there.

There are a few short clips here. Doesn't sound bad, but I'd rather have more Turbonegro tbh.

And that Swedish song is utterly embarassing.

Shanadeus

Banned
I just realized something:

Host of the show Stefan Raab and Germany's contestant and last year's winner Lena:

Wtf, surely they don't mean that Lena will be both contestant and host of the show alongside Raab?

Rapstah

We'd better be doing live commentary threads for the semis and final this year too, those were absolutely hilarious last year.

Balkan, Balkan, Balkan; ovo je Balkan - come on!

Shanadeus said:
I just realized something:

Wtf, surely they don't mean that Lena will be both contestant and host of the show alongside Raab?

No, Stefan Raabs co-hosts are Anke Engelke and Judith Rakers
(Comedian and News Anchor)

raabengelkerakers103_v-contentgross.jpg

Rapstah said:
We'd better be doing live commentary threads for the semis and final this year too, those were absolutely hilarious last year.

Balkan, Balkan, Balkan; ovo je Balkan - come on!

I love Ovo je Balkan!

Kyoufu

fizzelopeguss said:
when did blue get back together. (i remember my mum liked them back in the day...honest)

I remember they were one-hit wonders with that tonight baby, i wanna get freaky with you song.

Fritz

Earl Cazone said:
No, Stefan Raabs co-hosts are Anke Engelke and Judith Rakers
(Comedian and News Anchor)

raabengelkerakers103_v-contentgross.jpg

I love Ovo je Balkan!

Hmmm, I like Engelke but she's just not Big international Show material. Her humor doesn't translate well and it's kinda awkward if you dont know her stance.

Too bad not even Heidi Klum would whore herself out for this.

Maybe Collien Fernandez. She carried herself well when she asked Lady Gaga if she has a penis at that press conference.

RJT

Fritz said:
Yeah, but comedy entries are really yesteryear you know.
They performed for 200 thousand people at a recent protest in Portugal, so they already had the success they wanted :)

Rapstah

Fritz said:
Hmmm, I like Engelke but she's just not Big international Show material. Her humor doesn't translate well and it's kinda awkward if you dont know her stance.
There hasn't been a decent host in 30 years, I'm sure she'll work just fine.

spats

Finland needs more Lordi. That's all.

didn't watch last year, propably won't watch this year either. :(

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I can safely tell all of you: this is not going to be Portugal's long-awaited time to shine at Eurovision.

Our song was made by a group of comedians as an ironic way to protest againt the austerity measures that are strangling Portugal's lower and middle class, and it's a parody of 60's and 70's communist party protest songs. It won Portugal's festival by popular vote.

It's anything but Eurovision material, of course.

Lucius86

Banned
Fritz said:
UK better prepare yourself, I predict that Blue performance is going to be utterly embarrassing.

We have never had a decent entrant in recent history. I don't expect this to change any time soon.

Majine

Banned
Earl Cazone said:
it was a shame since no angels did have some great songs but disappear was not one of them
Noo ;) Tho the appearance was rather forgettable (and some of their voices on stage was kinda wierd), the song itself is great. I still turn it on every so often.

OnkelC said:
OK, I get most of the goofy stereotypes. Particularly liked the woman in Dutch colors, holding tulips, wearing wooden shoes, and talking about being high... I wonder where she was from??!?!!?!

Anyway, what is up with muscleman in yellow tank lifting vats of mayonnaise and french fries?

Besides being disgusting, I mean.

Is this some obscure French/Belgian/Nederlander/Lux-im-berger joke I'm not getting? Clearly. But what's the reference?

Fritz

^^Well french fries are Belgian. Don't know about the muscles and the stache though.

Majine said:
Noo ;) Tho the appearance was rather forgettable (and some of their voices on stage was kinda wierd), the song itself is great. I still turn it on every so often.

Wait, thats actually not that bad. I never listened to it cause I thought it would be too painful!

Kurtofan

DeuceMojo said:
OK, I get most of the goofy stereotypes. Particularly liked the woman in Dutch colors, holding tulips, wearing wooden shoes, and talking about being high... I wonder where she was from??!?!!?!

Anyway, what is up with muscleman in yellow tank lifting vats of mayonnaise and french fries?

Besides being disgusting, I mean.

Is this some obscure French/Belgian/Nederlander/Lux-im-berger joke I'm not getting? Clearly. But what's the reference?
Belgians invented the French fries(for some reasons Americans call them French),they eat fries with mayo and his face looks like a tintin character.
The muscleman thing is just because of the vats of fries and beer/chocolate I'm not sure.
Or maybe because of JCVD.

amar212 said:
Hold on to your chairs when Croatia unviels the song/video.

Contest itself was below amateurish, song is horrific and newbie girl that is singing has literraly no real experience at all.

However, I expect strong 12 points from Germany, 10 from Austria and usual gifts from our neighbours.

Can't wait for Eurotrashision to begin.
Same here in Serbia. I nearly cried when I heard it. We won't be near last place though, ExYu vote block ftw!

Kabouter

Lagspike_exe said:
Same here in Serbia. I nearly cried when I heard it. We won't be near last place though, ExYu vote block ftw!
We usually go for the lethal combination of terrible song + not being in a voting bloc. Though bizarrely, I remember two years ago our atrocious crap sandwich of a song got one point from like Denmark or something in the semis, and TEN from Albania. No points from anyone else. What on earth made them vote for this, I have no idea.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
fizzelopeguss said:
Nah, that was another level...another 4 man boy band with a token black dude.

Weren't Blue those guys who had a hit with that 'All Rise' song, just to be promptly forgotten again as soon as it dropped off the lists?

Enosh

Lagspike_exe said:
high five

our song sucks, but atleast the singer is kinda hot his year

52soulrnb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom