• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Songcontest 2011 |OT| Yes, this is what Europe sounds like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

Enosh said:
high five

our song sucks, but atleast the singer is kinda hot his year

http://www.ostriga.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/52soulrnb.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Kinda is underselling it a little there Enosh.

Combichristoffersen said:
Weren't Blue those guys who had a hit with that 'All Rise' song, just to be promptly forgotten again as soon as it dropped off the lists?

Pretty much. they did One Love aswell and something with elton john...a look at wiki says they reached platinum somehow.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
fizzelopeguss said:
Pretty much. they did One Love aswell and something with elton john...a look at wiki says they reached platinum somehow.

Oh, yeah, they did a cover of 'Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word' with Elton John, I think.

Jayge

The Serbian singer needs to be taught how to take care of her hair.

Also, Lena's song is entirely buildup, no payoff. Such aggravation.

Jayge said:
The Serbian singer needs to be taught how to take care of her hair.

Also, Lena's song is entirely buildup, no payoff. Such aggravation.

yes it was a suprise that the audience started cheering and screaming when the song was shown for the first time in the "our song for germany" show where lena presented 12 tracks.

thy_

Fritz said:
Hmmm, I like Engelke but she's just not Big international Show material. Her humor doesn't translate well and it's kinda awkward if you dont know her stance.

Too bad not even Heidi Klum would whore herself out for this.

Maybe Collien Fernandez. She carried herself well when she asked Lady Gaga if she has a penis at that press conference.

Anke Engelke's intro when she hosted the 2010 European Filmawards:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rBAIYalMT4

Hopefully Raab still has his suit from the 2000 Eurovision Contest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZpoY4YtPwM

Enosh said:
high five

our song sucks, but atleast the singer is kinda hot his year

52soulrnb.jpg
She is gorgeous.

Fritz

FoxSpirit said:
And yeah, Raab was fun, as was "The Meister" Guildo Horn.

He was the first to do the comedy act back when everybody send slightly plain folk and chanson kinda stuff.

BeeDog

Once again, I'm embarrassed my home country managed to scrape some bottom-of-the-barrel drivel (Macedonia). Uuuuuuuugghhhhhhhhh.

Mhmm, so we are back on this...thing?
I don't know, we already have Sanremo to scratch our trashy musical itch...
and who the hell is Raphael Gualazzi? And why is that french sissy singing in italian? so many questions....

I haven't even heard the song Belgium's sending in this year. They usually at least mention it on the news, or something.

That said, I may watch this for shits and giggles. I watched it with a few friends last year, and we were laughing the entire show.

Thnikkaman said:
The Eurovision thread last year was so much fun, I'm looking forward to doing it all over again!

yeeess. When I saw that all the titles were decided and the bookmakers already place theior bets, I needed to make this topic. Cant wait, I love eurovision.
At first I planned to go there but Düsseldorf is too far away.

Fritz

Earl Cazone said:
yeeess. When I saw that all the titles were decided and the bookmakers already place theior bets, I needed to make this topic. Cant wait, I love eurovision.
At first I planned to go there but Düsseldorf is too far away.

I hate Eurovision. I really just love the NeoGAF threads!

GCX

That ballad where butterfly wings suddenly jumped out of all the singers' backs was the creepiest thing last year.

Peru

I wouldn't say it has nothing to do with music. Most of the songs aren't very good, but still - a lot of the entertainment comes from the music itself. You never get this sort of thing otherwise, this look at different nations in the same format, what their musical choice actually tells us about the population, the weird appropriation of so many ideas of 'pop'.

Kabouter said:
What sucks this year is that our entry is just lame, boring and generic as fuck.

Last year we had the hilariously terrible Shalalie which formed the basis for an even more hilarious hardcore cover version.

Oh, and France was robbed last year! Amazing Eurovision cheese that song was.

Is 'plaatsvervangende schaamte' something that is invented by us? What's it called in English?

At least the 3JS don't give me that.;) Should just have used 'Kom' as their song though. I actually like that song.

Zutroy

So Norway's Huba Huba is kinda awesome. I'm rooting for that.

I think Blue might actually do okay. I think they were quite successful in Europe when they were big, so that should help. I'm betting a top 5 finish.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Kurtofan said:
I checked out the UK was at place 5 in 2009 and place 10 in 2010.

What?

We came last in 2010 with one of the worst crimes against music we've ever entered in the contest.

CRD90 said:
I think Blue might actually do okay. I think they were quite successful in Europe when they were big, so that should help. I'm betting a top 5 finish.

Also, last year's entry makes Blue look like the Beatles in comparison. I think we'll do alright this year as well.

Unless everyone still hates us of course.

rossonero

Last year's thread was awesome. Looking forward to read this year again :D

I haven't seen any of the contestants yet, I always try to make it a surprise. Does anybody else think it's kind of bad that they have two semifinals nowadays? I mean if you don't watch the semifinals then you may miss some jewels, but if you watch then there is almost no need to watch the final.

Jasup

Frankenstrat said:
sweden, I am disappoint

how are the singers chosen anyways?
It depends, some countries have national competitions between singers, some have competitions between songs, some broadcasting companies just order a song to represent them (this is actually a competition between national broadcasting companies and not countries). The national competitions can also be open or closed to only select artists.

It's all very complicated, but the result is the greatest binge drinking night in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom