• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture |OT| A Cosy Catastrophe

Melchiah

Well presumably she ends the entire world!

I meant, that it seems to make a point about it.

On a side note, it's pretty interesting to read about the Chinese room thought experiment;
http://www.iep.utm.edu/chineser/
Quote:
Debate over the Chinese room thought experiment - while generating considerable heat - has proven inconclusive. To the Chinese room's champions - as to Searle himself - the experiment and allied argument have often seemed so obviously cogent and decisively victorious that doubts professed by naysayers have seemed discreditable and disingenuous attempts to salvage "strong AI" at all costs. To the argument's detractors, on the other hand, the Chinese room has seemed more like "religious diatribe against AI, masquerading as a serious scientific argument"

thenexus6

Which one? I'd love to complete more stuff before starting a new game.

The last area at night in the observatory. Then I hit continue it put me right back but the gate is locked. If you go around to the right you can hop over the hedge then the game turns back to day.

After I got some more trophies so its fine. What I want to know is know i've finished the game how does saving work? I am not finishing any major plot points to get the game saving pop up anymore.

DamnBoxes

Just finished the game, a very unique experience. Will need to play it again some time.

This is definitely a game I'll play again IF they manage to get it on the PC.

As per the AMA on Reddit yesterday, Chinese Room says "That's not going to be our decision. I've love it to come onto PC, I think it'd fit really well."

As per the AMA on Reddit yesterday, Chinese Room says "That's not going to be our decision. I've love it to come onto PC, I think it'd fit really well."

Put aside the elitist PC stuff and just play it on the PS4.

The last area at night in the observatory. Then I hit continue it put me right back but the gate is locked. If you go around to the right you can hop over the hedge then the game turns back to day.

After I got some more trophies so its fine. What I want to know is know i've finished the game how does saving work? I am not finishing any major plot points to get the game saving pop up anymore.
Could you be a bit more exact? I'm having trouble finding this hedge.

Elios83

R2 does almost nothing.
You need to keep it pressed and after many seconds it goes a bit faster until you stop again.
Honestly this needs to be patched asap.
Who cares if it lasts 2 hours at normal speed, I want it to be functional and playable, right now it's just tedious.

Trevelyan

Banned

Sony owns the IP - it will never come to PC.

Chatin

Thanks.

You bring up a great point about saving, though. I wonder if entering the area again and trigger the credits will make a save, or if we'll still be stuck with that last save just before.

thenexus6

Could you be a bit more exact? I'm having troublee finding this hedge.

Okay so

Once you press continue and spawn back at the observatory turn around so you're looking at the gate. Walk to the right and you'll see a brick wall / the back of a small building. There is a hedge there that you can walk over

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I just saw the AV Club review, boy did they not like this. I can only agree with one point of theirs, that the info in all the conversations seems to circle around the same drain every time, like I've heard so many different ones and none of them seem to reveal any new ideas.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Put aside the elitist PC stuff and just play it on the PS4.

I'd also like to own it on PC. It isn't a matter of "elitist PC stuff". The reality is - consoles have an obviously limited life span of support. I like being able to play the game games I played as a child 20+ years ago today without having to get ebay and craigslist involved.

I will still be picking this up on PS4 in the mean time for the first play through. I enjoy games like this and it looks freaking gorgeous.

I just saw the AV Club review, boy did they not like this. I can only agree with one point of theirs, that the info in all the conversations seems to circle around the same drain every time, like I've heard so many different ones and none of them seem to reveal any new ideas.

Yeah John Teti's a good guy, but that review was strange. First, was just kind of weirdly angry for such a peaceful, benign game, but it's always hard to take a review seriously when the reviewer states they didn't finish it. Granted, he states he really tried and couldn't "trigger" it (sound like his copy may have glitched), but still I hate to read a review tearing down a game that's trying to do something new, however it might succeed.

jiggles

Banned
Oh boy. I bought this during the period where SCEE messed up the Plus discount and I was charged full price (£15.99 instead of £12.79).

I emailed support before they tweeted about the mistake here: https://twitter.com/PlayStationEU/status/631103947059630080

The response just dropped in to my inbox:
Hi Gavin,

Thanks for your e-mail about PlayStation Plus.

I can see from your e-mail that you think that the pricing of the current promotion is incorrect on PlayStation Store.

I can advise you, that the price for non-members is 19.99, so your 20 % promotion has already been applied to the purchase.

I hope that this message has been helpful.

The guy would rather just completely invent shit than admit fault.

addik

Played an hour a while ago, and I'm completely loving it so far! The walking speed hasn't bothered me quit yet.

This is actually my first time playing a game by The Chinese Room, but the game reminded me so much of the peaceful moments in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, which I actually really like. I just wish there could have been a few puzzles here and there, but I am loving the experience so far.

I was so amazed when (spoilers to the game 1 hour in)
you see Jeremy's scene at the altar at the Parish, and then you head out to see those lights guiding you out of the church. That was just a gorgeous scene.

Played an hour a while ago, and I'm completely loving it so far! The walking speed hasn't bothered me quit yet.

This is actually my first time playing a game by The Chinese Room, but the game reminded me so much of the peaceful moments in Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, which I actually really like. I just wish there could have been a few puzzles here and there, but I am loving the experience so far.

I was so amazed when (spoilers to the game 1 hour in)
you see Jeremy's scene at the altar at the Parish, and then you head out to see those lights guiding you out of the church. That was just a gorgeous scene.

I hope someone not only does a full timeline but also a full writeup

There are actually quite few characters and i lost track of some here and there (as to who they were and who they connected too)

addik

I hope someone not only does a full timeline but also a full writeup

There are actually quite few characters and i lost track of some here and there (as to who they were and who they connected too)

Have you tried playing with subtitles on? It really helps with identifying which character is who early on.

But yeah, I agree. I'd totally be lost without them. I just wish they focused on a select group of people first and slowly introduce other people. They were just too many characters introduced in that one hour alone, and it doesn't help that some of them don't reappear until much later.

SerTapTap

Seriously could someone just mark on a screenshot of a map where I need to go to end it? I've been everywhere on every map. I adored this game until getting to the
lakeside camp
now I'm just bumbling around.

Totally see myself rating this a 6 out of 10 for the site. I'm just completely bored with the mechanics in this game. The Order 1886 had more involved gameplay then this... what a pity. Graphically it's ace and the ost is wonderful.

I don't get why people who clearly wouldn't like this game no matter how good it is are reviewing it to be blunt. The moment you're talking "mechanics" you clearly don't get nor do you want to get the game. People should know whether or not they're interested in "walking sims" at this point, a review by a reviewer who doesn't enjoy the style of games is as worthless as a button masher reviewing a fighting game.

Alec

You are not listening to the recordings, but actually doing the recording yourself as Kate.

I don't think I agree.
So, Kate somehow continues to gain insight as she walks around town without doing any experiments? I don't think so. Remember the recording about how she was eating cold food directly out of a can or whatever? I dunno...just doesn't seem right. Especially considering you start outside the Observatory at the very start of the game but can't go up the street due to the locked gate.

On the other hand, I do sort of believe that we are playing as the Kate\Pattern combo post-apocalypse. As in, we are going back and revisiting everything as a newly-created Kate\Pattern being after everyone else is gone. Or something.

The recordings might be remnants of Kate's thoughts or memories.

Also this game is buggy as all hell. I had to close\re-open at least 5 times in my single playthrough because the light-ball kept getting stuck (and in at least 3 instances did not manifest as a character's ending scene at all, meaning I missed a lot of good story shit).

I don't get why people who clearly wouldn't like this game no matter how good it is are reviewing it to be blunt. The moment you're talking "mechanics" you clearly don't get nor do you want to get the game. People should know whether or not they're interested in "walking sims" at this point, a review by a reviewer who doesn't enjoy the style of games is as worthless as a button masher reviewing a fighting game.

I disagree. Firstly, if it's your job to review games you might not even have a choice in what you have to review. If you invest a amount of time to play through an entire game, that time is gone. If you have to put out a review you can't get that time back and use it to play something else.

Second, that means you only want reviews from hyper enthusiasts for a certain game type. Why would you want that? Peoples opinions of game genres that they don't normally play are just as helpful as the enthusiast reviews. Maybe even more, since if I'm already well versed in a genre, I probably don't need a review to tell me if its good or not, as I'll be able to do that myself from trailers.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
These have to be the most, how do you say...intimate performances I've heard in a game. Maybe I'm forgetting some game that did this better, but these are some seriously good actors.

iMax

These have to be the most, how do you say...intimate performances I've heard in a game. Maybe I'm forgetting some game that did this better, but these are some seriously good actors.

I don't think I've ever seen better VA than this. Genuinely phenomenal.

I don't think I agree.
So, Kate somehow continues to gain insight as she walks around town without doing any experiments? I don't think so. Remember the recording about how she was eating cold food directly out of a can or whatever? I dunno...just doesn't seem right. Especially considering you start outside the Observatory at the very start of the game but can't go up the street due to the locked gate.

On the other hand, I do sort of believe that we are playing as the Kate\Pattern combo post-apocalypse. As in, we are going back and revisiting everything as a newly-created Kate\Pattern being after everyone else is gone. Or something.

The recordings might be remnants of Kate's thoughts or memories.

Also this game is buggy as all hell. I had to close\re-open at least 5 times in my single playthrough because the light-ball kept getting stuck (and in at least 3 instances did not manifest as a character's ending scene at all, meaning I missed a lot of good story shit).

I really like this theory

Though i would argue that whatever the player represents is only marginally important to the story that is being laid out in front of you

I don't understand why people make assumptions such as yourself. I've played Ethan carter and enjoyed it immensely, even machine for pigs and other games in similar genres. Trying to invalidate my thoughts on a review I'm writing simply cause I don't "get it" seems poor on your part. The voice work, ost, and visuals are amazing but gameplay mechanics are terrible because there isn't any. You move around, you hit a button, and you tilt your controller. There is no variation, no puzzles, nor even any major meaningful interactions with the world. It's static mostly. It's a game that's not for me and as such will be reflected in my view and as a player that does indeed like the genre. I get what your trying to say but your literally wrong and try not to make such inept accusations.

I don't understand why people make assumptions such as yourself. I've played Ethan carter and enjoyed it immensely, even machine for pigs and other games in similar genres. Trying to invalidate my thoughts on a review I'm writing simply cause I don't "get it" seems poor on your part. The voice work, ost, and visuals are amazing but gameplay mechanics are terrible because there isn't anyone. You move around, you hit a button, and you tilt your controller. There is no variation, no puzzles, nor even any major meaningful interactions with the world. It's status mostly. It's a game that's not for me and as such will be reflected in my view and as a player that does indeed like the genre. I get what your trying to say but your literally wrong man.

Agreed

Very little interaction compared to other games in the genre. Walk.. watch scene.. open gates... watch scene

This game would have benefitted from being very streamlined and compact since there really isnt any inherent benefit to explore

SerTapTap

Arg, found what I was missing and I'm not sure how I missed it--I've been past that area at least twice now.

Agreed

Very little interaction compared to other games in the genre. Walk.. watch scene.. open gates... watch scene

This game would have benefitted from being very streamlined and compact since there really isnt any inherent benefit to explore

If story isn't inherent "benefit to explore" you're openly admitting the genre isn't for you. And "compared to other games in the genre" is just puzzling, most games of the genre have roughly the same "mechanics"--move, see things, move again. This isn't Mega Man.

Arg, found what I was missing and I'm not sure how I missed it--I've been past that area at least twice now.

If story isn't inherent "benefit to explore" you're openly admitting the genre isn't for you. And "compared to other games in the genre" is just puzzling, most games of the genre have roughly the same "mechanics"--move, see things, move again. This isn't Mega Man.

Whoa there buddy

I liked it. I'm saying the criticisms are valid as well though.

Honestly Id rather be discussing the story beats as opposed to reviews right now :p

mattiewheels

The openness to explore freely and at your own pace is what makes this a really vital way to tell a story, as opposed to any other kind. I understand that people appreciate a guiding editorial voice to bring tight focus and make a story efficient, but the chance to tell a story like this is amazing in its own right. Plus, the idea of people being used to a game telling you that youve achieved something versus absorbing achievement on your own terms without game feedback (Her Story is anoyher recent example) needs to be explored lot more like this one does. This is just the beginning too, people are really gonna perfect this form soon.

And I think the most inappropriate but completely appropriate song to listen to while playing this would be Blur's Country House. Ha.

JTripper

Finished it a couple hours ago. Really thought it was unique. Glad I bought it since I like supporting these types of narrative-focused games.

With that said, I haven't played Vanishing of Ethan Carter yet. Any recommendations?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Not reading anything 'cause afraid of spoilers, but damn this game is so cool so far. It really feels like sort of a Dear Esther 2, and I liked Dear Esther a lot :)

also, the character stories so far are really touching.

djshauny

Banned
Finished it a couple hours ago. Really thought it was unique. Glad I bought it since I like supporting these types of narrative-focused games.

With that said, I haven't played Vanishing of Ethan Carter yet. Any recommendations?

Its fantastic.

Its on PC UE3 (soon to be updated to UE4 for free)

Its on PS4 also (UE4)

Fantastic game :)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I wasn't a fan of Dear Esther (like, at all), but I'm loving this so far. I have a weak spot for anything post-apocalyptic and this game nails the feeling of isolation and creepiness, even in the light of day. I love how you start to get a feel for the characters, even if they're just flashes of light.

I'm really not following the light or anything in particular. I'm just exploring, trying to find radios and triggering scenes in houses. So far the best one is where
the priest enters the home where the wife is too scared to see her husband and kids who've died.

Not even sure what the main path is, but I do know there's a lot to explore in the first real town area... Game doesn't exactly feel linear. It's easy to wander off and get lost.

My only major complaint is the walking speed, or lack thereof. Even the secret R2 isn't that much faster.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wow

Just finished. The story hit me hard. Some of the best voice acting and writing I've encountered in games and the audio mix and soundtrack are perfect.

I have some issues, mainly framerate and walking speed related, but damn the story delivered.

Fury451

Banned
Wanting some more Chinese Room goodness. Does A Machine for Pigs lose anything if I play it before Amnesia?

No, the stories are connected, but in ways that don't impact the second game if you play it first.

I don't mean this as an insult necessarily, but the second game also has minimal actual gameplay in it, while the first one does have gameplay systems.

just so you know, the story in the second game is quite.... Unusual, would probably be the best word for it. If you're expecting something in the vein of this game, it isn't.

vladdamad

Second, that means you only want reviews from hyper enthusiasts for a certain game type. Why would you want that? Peoples opinions of game genres that they don't normally play are just as helpful as the enthusiast reviews. Maybe even more, since if I'm already well versed in a genre, I probably don't need a review to tell me if its good or not, as I'll be able to do that myself from trailers.

What I would say to this is that it is sometimes good to review games in the context of their genre. So for example, if a person likes 'walking sims', then they will be able to tell the good ones apart from the bad ones. People that don't like the genre will just dismiss all of them altogether. The best way I can put this is an arthouse film reviewer judging superhero films. They will likely dismiss all of them as being trash, whereas a reviewer that enjoys superhero films will be able to tell you, for example, why a film like Iron Man would be better than Green Lantern. It's not a case of hyping a game type, it's a case of understanding the quality differences within the genre in my opinion.

Plasma

Banned
So I finished it
did anyone else really hate Kate after playing it? I mean she got everyone killed and put them through so much pain and suffering and at the end she's acting as though everything is rosy, seriously fuck her.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
wooow that moment when you
enter the countryside and the choir music starts playing

n°1 gaming moment of 2015 for me, simply magical.

mf.luder

Just biked to the store, bought a $20 card, purchased EGttR and started to download while I was out. Should be ready any minute now. Headset is charged and waiting!

Top Bottom