• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture |OT| A Cosy Catastrophe

I'm guessing I'm around halfway through. This has been such an intoxicating experience so far. I liked Ethan Carter quite a bit, but this one seems to trump it in both storytelling and world-building.

Fury451

Banned
Totally see myself rating this a 6 out of 10 for the site. I'm just completely bored with the mechanics in this game. The Order 1886 had more involved gameplay then this... what a pity. Graphically it's ace and the ost is wonderful.

None of the games made by this company have involving gameplay. It really all depends and comes down to what you expect from the game, because whenever I see their name I expect an experience but not necessarily anything in the actual interactive game play.

That's what makes their games so difficult to review.

Chatin

I want to like the game, but the lack of control over saving has been rough on me. Had a blackout, last night, that caused me to have to replay a bunch, and just lost another hour of gameplay because my PS4 locked up in rest mode. Really dampens my experience to have my exploration be undone.

None of the games made by this company have involving gameplay. It really all depends and comes down to what you expect from the game, because whenever I see their name I expect an experience but not necessarily anything in the actual interactive game play.

That's what makes their games so difficult to review.

I get that... but man I'm always down for a good world and story but I'm not getting that from this at all. I'm currently still playing and just bored to tears. I'm only progressing to see the end at this point. It's semi interesting but that's about it. So dissapointed.

MattyG

Banned
So what was the significance of the
clocks? They were set to 6:07. I noticed a lot of other uses of the number 6 too. Kate said they set to June 6th, and everything seemed to hing on observatory tower 6 (though there were flyers around protesting the construction of tower 7).

Verger

Banned
Hmm, yeah, game is not for me.

I tried Dear Esther and couldn't get through it.

I actually enjoyed Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, but I think I'll attribute that more towards Frictional's supervision and at least forcing them to pace things better and faster with some trivial gameplay than otherwise. And the setting and atmosphere of the game.

But yeah, Jessica Curry really is an amazing composer.

Seriously though, anyone who likes Dear Esther and Rapture really should try Machine for Pigs. Don't be put off by it being an "Amnesia" Horror game, because there's very little scare factor in it compared to its predecessor.

MattyG

Banned
So how's that Cryengine? Butter smooth? Is this the first Cryengine game on PS4?
Not smooth. It's not terrible, but it can get very choppy at times, especially when loading a new area. It's very pretty though, for the most part. Some rough textures here and there, but very nice for the most part.

And no, I think Wander was the first CryEngine game on PS4.

Evolve was first.

So how's that Cryengine? Butter smooth? Is this the first Cryengine game on PS4?
The game runs in the mid 20s at best most of the time and often drops to the teens in the more open areas. One of the worst performing games on the system, feels terrible to move or do anything.

Looks pretty overall but the IQ is really poor and there doesn't seem to be much if any AF. Definitely feels constrained by the system or the time they had to optimize it. But given the exclusivity was announced two years ago that seems unlikely.

I wonder if they made some off the books product placement deal with Ford.

So far I have noted, a bit of extra information for you non Europeans

Ford Granada (sedan) this is by far the most common car in game.
Ford Transit (Van)
Ford Fiesta (hatchback)

All badging removed but they are very recognisable.

Other than we have old Land Rover Defenders and a single Volvo estate.

Certinty

Totally see myself rating this a 6 out of 10 for the site. I'm just completely bored with the mechanics in this game. The Order 1886 had more involved gameplay then this... what a pity. Graphically it's ace and the ost is wonderful.
That's sort of weird, I have had The Order 1886 for months and put more time into this yesterday than I have ever put into that game, this is just far more interesting and beautiful. At least to me.

JustDrive

I wonder if they made some off the books product placement deal with Ford.

So far I have noted, a bit of extra information for you non Europeans

Ford Granada (sedan) this is by far the most common car in game.
Ford Transit (Van)
Ford Fiesta (hatchback)

All badging removed but they are very recognisable.

Other than we have old Land Rover Defenders and a single Volvo estate.

I also noticed an Austin Montego.

Plasma

Banned
Can somebody tell me if I missed something in the first area. After I finished the two areas after it
they both ended with everything going dark and lights on the floor showing the way to the next area. When I went from the first area to Wendy's storyline nothing like that happened though. I explored the area pretty thoroughly the only thing I can think of that I missed was when I went inside the Church I didn't get a scene but all the candles were lit with light.

taoofjord

I didn't think the walking/running speed would bother me at all but it is. I'm going to hold off on finishing it and see if a faster movement speed is added in a future update.

Chatin

Is there anyway to continue the game and check out missing story bits after the credits, or are you forced to start a new game to experience what you've missed?

mjp2417

Banned
Do we know what triggers save points? I just lost about 3 or 4 hours of play time because apparently no save point had been registered even though I had gone through multiple chapters and had pretty much traversed the entirety of the map. I think this is definitely the best game The Chinese Room has made, but between the lack of a functional save system, the hidden walk-slightly-less-glacially-slow button, and the shit framerate it feels super rushed and unpolished.

Chatin

Do we know what triggers save points? I just lost about 3 or 4 hours of play time because apparently no save point had been registered even though I had gone through multiple chapters and had pretty much traversed the entirety of the map. I think this is definitely the best game The Chinese Room has made, but between the lack of a functional save system, the hidden walk-slightly-less-glacially-slow button, and the shit framerate it feels super rushed and unpolished.
Interacting with any of the orbs you need to use the sixaxis for will result in a save once the story scene had completed.

I loved the concept of Ethan Carter and thought it looked amazing but got bored almost immediately

This is similar (ie its just not my type of game right?)

MoonGred

Just finished the game, and don't get all the hype. By no means is it a bad game but I found it getting boring fairly quickly, I think a lot of it has to do with the slow walking speed. Usually I'm all for exploring but in this case walking to a house in the distance felt like a chore, knowing that it would be a boring walk back.
The fact that the performance is atrocious doesn't do the game any favours either.
I thoroughly enjoyed Dear Esther and Machine for pigs, but this just didn't do it for me

Played a bit last night and was hooked immediately. Like being on an eerie vacation of sorts.
I really like the voice acting, the bit when
I entered a house where a mother didn't want to go upstairs because she was afraid of what she might find there
sent a chill down my spine.
It was late and I had to stop, but I really wanted to go on. Going for a complete play through after work tonight.

Managed to get over my disappointment with myself about missing the preorder discount and bought it. Not far into, but man that moving orb of light is creeping me out. D: I've noticed myself instinctively hiding from it a couple times now.

Maffew

Bought and started playing it yesterday. Really like the game...

Sadly, for me, it also joins Rocket League and Journey in the collection I like to call 'makes my PS4 sound like it's trying to take off' - which helps ruin the immersion somewhat. And the console is only five months old, too... :(

Hzoltan69

The game runs in the mid 20s at best most of the time and often drops to the teens in the more open areas. One of the worst performing games on the system, feels terrible to move or do anything.

Looks pretty overall but the IQ is really poor and there doesn't seem to be much if any AF. Definitely feels constrained by the system or the time they had to optimize it. But given the exclusivity was announced two years ago that seems unlikely.

It's a real shame they dropped the PC version. I'm really interested in the game and now I'm torn whether to play it in this sorry state or wait for a very uncertain PC release down the line...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is
Stephen
the last chapter?
Kinda. Vague spoiler:
Once you finish Stephen, there's another short sequence but it's separated out from the open world you've just been exploring. Stephen's sequence marks the end of that if you want to explore more first.

Can somebody tell me if I missed something in the first area. After I finished the two areas after it
they both ended with everything going dark and lights on the floor showing the way to the next area. When I went from the first area to Wendy's storyline nothing like that happened though. I explored the area pretty thoroughly the only thing I can think of that I missed was when I went inside the Church I didn't get a scene but all the candles were lit with light.
Yes, you must have missed something.
Once you've done all the scenes with Jeremy, the glowing orb will appear over the altar in the church and that's the big ending for the sequence.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

The game runs with an unlocked framerate with enabled vsync. However, the framerate is only really smooth when you are looking at the sky. Otherwise, it's rather choppy. In scenes with dynamic lights, like dialog scenes with many of those light shapes around, it dives into the tenths.

game glitched out on me where i couldn't trigger at
stephan's house and exiting out the back in near the glass garden house
sucks so much b/c that was pretty much the only thing not working properly the entire time. and it put me kinda behind

That's sort of weird, I have had The Order 1886 for months and put more time into this yesterday than I have ever put into that game, this is just far more interesting and beautiful. At least to me.

I really enjoyed Ethan Carter, A machine for pigs, etc but this one sadly does nothing for me other then give me a pretty view and some amazing ost work. Gameplay of just walking around and listening isn't doing anything for me. It's just not for me honestly and I usually like or enjoy these sort of games. Sadly Rapture just isn't one of them.

sigh i actually can't proceed it seems Wendy
with no light body
just talks when
you enter the house, go through the living room, go up the stairs and into Stephan's room and when you go back downstairs and near the back door and then nothing. On the other side of a arch gate is the ball trigger needed to turn the controller on the side but it doesn't fully trigger
nvm
I could keep going and be forced to switched to FRANK section

Ambitious

I'm at the windmill right now.
According to the map, there should be a story scene right next to it, which I assume to be Frank's ending scene. But there's nothing there. Does this mean I missed one of the other main story scenes in this area?

JonnyKong

I think I'm stuck near the end and I'm not really sure how to progress.

I've just
watched that scene in the train station with Lizzie and Stephen, it ended with Lizzie saying oh look there's planes coming and I went outside to see orange streaks across the sky. Then I went back outside, had a little scene with Stephen and Kate on the train platform, now I'm not sure what to do next?

Atrophis

Bought and started playing it yesterday. Really like the game...

Sadly, for me, it also joins Rocket League and Journey in the collection I like to call 'makes my PS4 sound like it's trying to take off' - which helps ruin the immersion somewhat. And the console is only five months old, too... :(

I'd exchange the console. My launch PS4 is still pretty much silent when playing both this and Rocket League. I put up with an extremely loud PS3 for years and its really not worth it.

JonnyKong said:
I think I'm stuck near the end and I'm not really sure how to progress.

I've just watched that scene in the train station with Lizzie and Stephen, it ended with Lizzie saying oh look there's planes coming and I went outside to see orange streaks across the sky. Then I went back outside, had a little scene with Stephen and Kate on the train platform, now I'm not sure what to do next?

Walk down the train track.

vladdamad

I'm at the windmill right now.
According to the map, there should be a story scene right next to it, which I assume to be Frank's ending scene. But there's nothing there. Does this mean I missed one of the other main story scenes in this area?

I missed this one too. Walked around for ages outside that area with no results. Apparently some endings are triggered when you collect enough ordinary scenes around the map, which is odd because I'm pretty sure that level was the one I explored the most. If you want to just progress to the next level, if you are facing the windmill face on turn left and walk down the path there, and you will make it to the
Lizzy
chapter.

Ambitious

I missed this one too. Walked around for ages outside that area with no results. Apparently some endings are triggered when you collect enough ordinary scenes around the map, which is odd because I'm pretty sure that level was the one I explored the most. If you want to just progress to the next level, if you are facing the windmill face on turn left and walk down the path there, and you will make it to the
Lizzy
chapter.

I found it. It was the one next to the Yaughton Pond. On my way back to the windmill, I found yet another, and when I returned there, the final scene triggered.

JonnyKong

Whoop just finished. I came away with a whooping two trophies! Lol. I don't think I can be bothered to play it again just for the trophies.

Im not quite sure I got the ending, gonna go back and read some theories on here.

artsi

I finished the game and while I liked the atmosphere and music, can't say it was an enjoyable experience as a whole because of the ultra slow walking speed and FPS problems. I had also trouble navigating sometimes, when the light ball was either missing or didn't know where it was going.

The ending also went a bit over my head so I can't say anything about the story, but I liked the characters.

thenexus6

Whoop just finished. I came away with a whooping two trophies! Lol. I don't think I can be bothered to play it again just for the trophies.

Im not quite sure I got the ending, gonna go back and read some theories on here.

Most of the trophies are just go somewhere and wait for three minutes. Very tedious, especially with the incredibly slow movement speed.

Top Bottom