• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture |OT| A Cosy Catastrophe

geomon

Finished it. One of the most beautiful games I have ever played. Engaging and intriguing, I already want to do another play through.

Scrawnton

Beat it. It's a beautiful game but the narrative stays a bit open. Was expecting the title to be deceiving a bit. I felt like there was a lack of payoff.

Just finished it.... Wow!!

Loved the story and the characters and the music and the atmosphere so much........ The story and the ending and the build up mystery, wow wow wow bravo!!

The feelings I'm having now is a feelings I will never forget, such an amazing game.

The last scene of Stephen got to me sooooo hard oh my gosh :(

Rymuth

Welp, finally done.

Total playtime: 3:10:00hrs

Thoughts:

• It's a well-presented story but not a good story. I expected a pseudo-religious mystery but it ended up being
    mad scientist makes contact with aliens
    . Unless, of course, I've missed the point.
  • Walking speed is too slow, even with R2
  • Wendy
    's story is the one that gutted me the most of all.
    She's a vulnerable old lady
    stuck in the apocalypse, so I was gutted hearing
    her
    plight.
  • Stephen
    is a douchebag. So much could have been avoided if he just stopped talking in riddles.
  • Beautiful music along with jaw dropping visuals.
  • I am fairly certain there are a ton of backstories that I had missed. Following the ball of light gives you the main story, but ignoring it and exploring on your own can net you side-stories.

Fun little morsel. I've had a good time.

M.Steiner

Loved what I have seen of the game so far. Just taking my time with it atm and trying to explore all of it as best I can, piecing the story together, taking in the surroundings and atmosphere etc.
Superb voice acting, great music and a real beautiful looking game too.

ymgve

There's another reason that Kate is treated as an outsider in the village - she is African American. One of the dialogs on the round out of the first village has two women about they don't like her but it's not a race thing. This also explains the "two-headed monkey" dialog at the train station.

Melchiah

I've got a question, as I don't seem to get Jeremy's light in the
church
to light up. I wonder if it's a bug, or related to that there was a similar problem with the one in the narrow alley, or that I already encountered
Wendy's light
?

iNvid02

I've got a question, as I don't seem to get Jeremy's light in the
church
to light up. I wonder if it's a bug, or related to that there was a similar problem with the one in the narrow alley, or that I already encountered
Wendy's light
?

those lights
represent the person dying, so they take a bit of work. try tilting the pad until the light glows and then hold it there. if you lose the spot, just align it back where the barely visible figment of light is showing. the audial and visual cues should be enough though.

Melchiah

those lights
represent the person dying, so they take a bit of work. try tilting the pad until the light glows and then hold it there. if you lose the spot, just align it back where the barely visible figment of light is showing. the audial and visual cues should be enough though.

Yeah, I got it to work after booting up the game. Dunno if it was a glitch or not.

whyman

So has any one figured out what
the numbers at the end of the credits mean? Feels like there is a message in those numbers.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm really enjoying the game but the nausea it gives me is horrible. I might have to do this one in 10-minute increments :(

ryseing

°°ToMmY°°;175032642 said:
Quick question: for a guy that mildly enjoyed The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter is this game right up my alley? Is it worth it?

Vanishing wasn't a bad game for me by any means, i particularly enjoyed solving the puzzles to make the story progress and i enjoyed the setting, but it had too little meat attached to it for me to enjoy it fully. Will i like this game?

Nah, you'll hate it. There's less "meat" since there are no puzzles.

Sordid

Downloading this atm, really looking forward to it! Got to finish Beyond Eyes on the Xbone before I get stuck in, I never thought these slower games would grab me like they have.

Tapejara

Just started the
Wendy
section. Really enjoying it so far, but I'm not quite sure how to interact with the moving lights.

King_Moc

Banned
Just started the
Wendy
section. Really enjoying it so far, but I'm not quite sure how to interact with the moving lights.

Tilt the controller left and right until you find the spot where the light is smallest and it rumbles, then hold it there.

Tapejara

Tilt the controller left and right until you find the spot where the light is smallest and it rumbles, then hold it there.

Yeah, I've tried that. It works on the stationary lights, but the ones that move around don't do anything. Based on responses from the last page it seema some lights just serve as guides rather than story moments.

Only made it to the second area last night but I can feel the story sucking me in. Some of those trophies like "Backtracker" look a bit time consuming but exploring this world is fun so I'm not bothered.

Forgive the somewhat oblivious question, as I am on a total blackout for this game, but is the game running well for everyone? Was going to sit down tonight to play this with my girlfriend and wanted to make sure it was a good time to jump in. :)

JonnyKong

I'm enjoying that this game is set on the 6th June 1984 which is my exact birth date :D

Edit: unless every game matches your own birth date from the ps4 system?! That would be clever.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
FQw0Fhl.gif

Edit: unless every game matches your own birth date from the ps4 system?! That would be clever.

Nope, that's the date :) I even exited out and tried changing my PS4's D&T to match with the game to see if anything happened but found out that the D&T system won't go earlier than 2000 :)

Played it through. Normally I like these kind of games, but Rapture got repetitious and boring in the end. I'm really glad it was only 6 hours for me. If it would've been more, I'd have quit.

The story is awesome.
Numbers stations, some kind of alien intellect, cosmic happenings, apocalypse etc.
But yeah, the mechanics got old really fast, even tedious.

Awesome looking, brilliant music, sadly a bit on the dull side.

Strong 7/10.

SerTapTap

Teeny bit lost, could anyone give me the tiniest, least spoilery hint? Here's where I am, I think it's fairly late:
Between lakeside and Little Tipworth, I explored all the way down to the windmill, the lake, wandered all around the lakeside. But no ending, and I'm not sure where to go now since I'm just finding looks around places I've been now.

Teeny bit lost, could anyone give me the tiniest, least spoilery hint? Here's where I am, I think it's fairly late:
Between lakeside and Little Tipworth, I explored all the way down to the windmill, the lake, wandered all around the lakeside. But no ending, and I'm not sure where to go now since I'm just finding looks around places I've been now.

I think you're out of the map. Happened to me as well. I went over this small stream near the windmill and got to the lake and next to the ending area. I had to backtrack to the crop fields.

Daeda

Bloody PSN has been stuck on the last Gig for over 3 hours now. Guess Ill try it tomorrow. Thanks for the superb service Sony :/

SerTapTap

I think you're out of the map. Happened to me as well. I went over this small stream near the windmill and got to the lake and next to the ending area. I had to backtrack to the crop fields.

Oh I think it's deliberate that you can go slightly outside of the beaten path, I've done it several times and there's occasionally invisible walls (or convenient rocks) to keep you from going too far. Sounds like I should keep exploring near that one place though

JonnyKong

I think I've somehow skipped ahead of the story. I was doing the Wendy chapter, but I haven't seen any of her scenes appear for ages. Instead I seem to be getting a lot of Frank. Do I have to go finish Wendy's story in order to complete the game?

sarcoa

I think I've somehow skipped ahead of the story. I was doing the Wendy chapter, but I haven't seen any of her scenes appear for ages. Instead I seem to be getting a lot of Frank. Do I have to go finish Wendy's story in order to complete the game?
No, I finished the game (accidentally) without seeing Jeremy or Frank.

iNvid02

cryengine 3 english village looks great, but the visuals have been outclassed by the soundtrack and overall sound design.

So has any one figured out what
the numbers at the end of the credits mean? Feels like there is a message in those numbers.

the code got posted and decoded yesterday before the game released lol, they used A-1, B-2 for the numbers in the credits.

"In the wake of a human being’s death, what survives is a set of afterglows, some brighter and some dimmer, in the collective brains of... those... dearest to them. ...there is, in those who remain... a collective corona that still glows. Douglas Hofstadter"
http://victorhenriksen.tumblr.com/post/39199569904/in-the-wake-of-a-human-beings-death-what

SerTapTap

Nope still lost, just mindlessly wandering around
the lakeside area
. The movement speed really hurts when you get lost. What exactly are the
infinity symbols on the map
in case that's a gameplay mechanic and not something that's exposed later?

Wait, can you interact with all of the lights? In the first area, in the church,
there is a glowing orb over the alter, but it "disappears"when I get close to it. Tried doing all kinds of things with the controller like the other ones, but no dice. Is that supposed to happen, do I trigger something later, or am I missing something?

sarcoa

Nope still lost, just mindlessly wandering around
the lakeside area
. The movement speed really hurts when you get lost. What exactly are the
infinity symbols on the map
in case that's a gameplay mechanic and not something that's exposed later?
It's tied to the story and should make better sense later.

Top Bottom