• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters (2016) Trailer #1 (Feig, Wiig, McCarthy, McKinnon, Jones)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggy

Trailers can be pretty bad about butchering punchlines so I won't give this trailer a whole lot of grief. That said I'm not exactly clamoring for this movie so I'll just hang out on the sidelines and watch the parade of madness unfold.

Xater

This trailer was incredibly underwhelming. I was looking forward to this, and I am disappointed by how unfunny and dumb the references are.

Both. It's treated as a reboot, but the events of the first movies did happen.

Which makes me question parts of this trailer even more.

Gaf hates comedies as usual.

This looks like it could definitely be good. Sure, It looks like a Paul Feig film with Ghostbusters trimmings, but plenty of his films have been great, especially his most recent film, Spy.

Those jokes were....terrible. Not even remotely funny. Actually a bit cringey.
But I can't lie...I kinda dig the atmosphere and visuals and look of the characters.

Conflicted.

Actually really like the version of the theme song they're using. Feels modern but not hitting you over the head that it's modern.

The 4 of them seem to have good chemistry and I'm sure the trailer is using some of the more extreme parts (slapping the ghost out) to appeal to the broadest audience possible.

Was optimistic before, still am. Looks good!

You can often tell what the general quality of a film will be just by watching its trailer.

This won't be very good. 30-40% on Rotten Tomatoes I'm predicting.

Tadale

The ghosts look great, and the humor seems more Paul Fieg than Ghostbusters.

Don't know what else you would expect - seems like a lot of fun.

EDIT: I wish it was a sequel, not a reboot.

chaislip3

Looks like fun. Trailers for comedies usually aren't super representative of the quality of the film, but it should be a fun time. Spy is basically the prime example of that.

Jb

I really like the cast but man I think Paul Feig is such a mediocre director, especially when it comes to action comedies like The Heat or Spy :( Fingers crossed the writing makes up for it.

georly

Started off alright, and got worse as the trailer went on. Will wait for reviews but I'm not opposed to going to see it.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like a serviceable action comedy.

The token 'street smart' black woman is embarrassing.

Ominym

Banned
This seems like it has potential. Particularity liking Kristen Wigg.

So this movie assumes the original Ghost busters never happened? I guess with all the cameos it has to be this way.

The trailer literally says in the first 30 seconds,

"30 years ago
Four scientists saved New York
This Summer
A new team will answer the call"

Looks like a Wayans Brothers parody movie. Terrible.

And Kristen Wiig is such a bad actress, it's like you can see her smirking through every scene struggling to keep a straight face.

Pilgrimzero

Hated it and I had hope. I knew the comedic tone would be different and yup. Getting barfed on. Slapping a ghost out etc. in sure McCarthy will fall down hilariously at one point.

What I wasn't ready for was duel pistol proton guns. Ghost bear traps? Proton fist daggers/knuckles? Yikes.

Mdk7

As I wrote in the other thread, I was expecting the worst and that's pretty much what I got.

I save the Ghostbuster theme and the vibrant colors, but the rest to me is truly terrible.
Unfunny, poor rhythm, horrible editing... bad, bad trailer.

Knew what was gonna happen with the first 'scare'. Still made me jump though. Went to 'eh' after that though. It just doesn't seem to have the charm of the original.

Also, this is a reboot-sequel then right? As it mentions the previous cast.

I'm glad they didn't put all the funny in the trailer. Even better they didn't give much of the plot away. I like the wig/hat bit and the part where Melissa gets slapped to take out the ghost.

Although I'm curious how they are gonna explain how Leslie Jones gets introduced to the team. How did she meet the other three?

EDIT: Oh I wasn't the only one who had token black lady vibes? *wipes forehead* I though I was the only one

Xater

Yeah token black lady bothered me as well. Why do we need the same dumb setup for her as with Winston? Why can't she just be a scientist?

Geek

Ninny Prancer
CcoR6xuUcAQjH5s.jpg

a little on the nose with the Twinkie joke but I like it

Busty

Banned
Eh. That was about what I was expecting to be honest. I like Wiig and McCarthy so I'll probably check this out but that 'possessed by ghosts' but looked horrible.

But given that this is supposed to be a comedy I really hope that all the film's big laughs weren't in that trailer..., because if they were...,

awkward_smile.gif

Looks fucking awful...
yet oddly hyped as hell.

This thinking made Jurassic World a hit so who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom