• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters (2016) Trailer #1 (Feig, Wiig, McCarthy, McKinnon, Jones)

Status
Not open for further replies.
God, reading that Bill Murray appears in this movie just hurts ... blocking any attempts at another Ghostbusters movie with the old cast until it's just not possible anymore due to Harold Ramis' passing, and then just popping up for shits and giggles in this "remake" ...

Well, before Ramis died, he was up for appearing in a third movie if he liked the script, ad he did also do voice work for the game. I think he was coming around to the idea of doing a third movie, but unfortunately he held off for too long.

The content that's there looks good to me. Not the best cut trailer ever, and I think people confuse quality trailers with quality films. Prometheus had one of the most effectively cut trailers of all time, how'd that work out? I'll wait and see how the final film turns out. I loved Bridesmaids, The Heat, and Spy, I believe in Feig.

Hell, Kung-Fu Panda had terrible trailers and that movie was really good.

Xater

With what is shown her portrayal is way worse than Winston. Winston was cool because he was the one normal character in the group. He was level headed and got their simply by accepting a job ad. She seems to playing into token black lady tropes WAY more and seems way more insensitive.

True. I just meant she plays the same role as Winston, but has the added problem of being handed sassy black lady on top of it.

Angel_DvA

Looks pretty awful, those action scenes doesn't look credible, the CGI looks bad, acting looks bad, the humour looks forced but the plot looks nice, the new equipment/costume/car looks good too...

Still a big NO for me

Ogni-XR21

It looked ok, don't get all the hate.

This will probably be like Jurrasic World. Hated by the internet but ends up being being better received by the mainstream than expected.

This thinking made Jurassic World a hit so who knows.

Na, the entire premise of Jurassic World had me interested from the beginning because the park aspect is what I especially like about Jurassic Park.

Custom Dino thing as stupid as it was made some sense.

This though, sounded bad and then ends up worse than I expected.
but I did get Ghostbuster hype from it somehow so maybe.

I'm still laughing my ass off at Kristen Wiig's career trajectory too btw

From Joe Schmo Show (my damn favorite)
To SNL
To Bridesmaids
To Walter Mitty
To Skeleton Twins
To The Martian
To Ghostbusters

(Also guys, Feig's directed Wiig and McCarthy in movies before, they're usually pretty damn good, like Bridesmaids/Spy)

Not everyone wants to know everything about an unreleased film/game/book.

Also, bookmarked for when I see you get upset that someone spoiled part of something you're excited about. ;)

It's public info and they haven't been hiding it, deal with it

If you seriously bookmark posts, you got a problem. Also, I spoil myself on movies constantly without any remorse, that bookmark will be useless

Busty

Banned
Man you know how trailers work foo

Ha, true.

I just thought that they would have put some of the film's big comedic swings in this first trailer.

I wouldn't say that this films looks horrible at all, I just thought that the studio would try and play up the comedy angle.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I think it's smart that they didn't show any of their jokes in the trailer. Keep that shit under wraps for the cinema.

Kreed

Hopefully the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man will make a cameo in this.

"You white people may be educated and smart and stuff but just like the originals made decades ago ima be the token black person."

Yeah that was the most disappointing thing about the trailer.

Well since it appears to be in the same universe as the OG characters I don't like the whole copy cat angle. Oh we just so happened to get a herse too were decking out with the same theme.

Pilgrimzero

Eh. That was about what I was expecting to be honest. I like Wiig and McCarthy so I'll probably check this out but that 'possessed by ghosts' but looked horrible.

But given that this is supposed to be a comedy I really hope that all the film's big laughs weren't in that trailer..., because if they were...,

awkward_smile.gif

This thinking made Jurassic World a hit so who knows.

Sad thing is, you're not wrong. I still can't believe that film made as much cash as it did.

BFIB

I'll see it. Can't really judge by one trailer.

But man, this whole "wub wub wub" stuff in movie trailers really needs to stop. So f'in annoying.

Ha, true.

I just thought that they would have put some of the film's big comedic swings in this first trailer.

I wouldn't say that this films looks horrible at all, I just thought that the studio would try and play up the comedy angle.

I feel like their main goal was showing the Times Square setpiece and getting a general vibe set up. Beyond that, they left it out.

If it helps, Spy's trailers were absolute shit, and that movie was freaking excellent

New York itself has changed too much. It's lost that dingy quality. Now everything is slick looking and vibrant. I know it doesn't sound like a much on paper, but it was a big part of the atmosphere of the original. Crime was at an all time high, morale was at an all time low and the evil was feeding off it, unleashing ghosts. It was integral to the premise.

RangerX

Banned
"You white people may be educated and smart and stuff but just like the originals made decades ago ima be the token black person."

Yeah I thought that was pretty bad, why make her the subway worker. Anyway it looks alright. I doubt it can live up to the original due to the cast's chemistry and the fact they were such a huge part of my childhood.

I think it looks pretty amusing. I love Feig and I'm a fan of Kristen Wiig, so I'll be there opening weekend unless the reviews end up being absolutely awful for it.

But given how some reviewers shit on any property that's a spin-off or sequel to a beloved franchise, I may still be there opening weekend.

Rootbeer

Banned
New York itself has changed too much. It's lost that dingy quality. Now everything is slick looking and vibrant. I know it doesn't sound like a much on paper, but it was a big part of the atmosphere of the original. Crime was at an all time high, morale was at an all time low and the evil was feeding off it, unleashing ghosts. It was an integral to the premise.

Can apply the same line of thinking to TMNT. The city is as much a character as any of the others, and NYC just isn't the same as it was then.

Loved that first 1990 TMNT film.

Calcium

Banned
I think Kate McKinnon's character looks great, but everything else is merely decent. I'll watch it eventually, but that trailer didn't get my ass in a theater seat.

RDreamer

Terribly uninspiring/unexciting. It doesn't look bad, it just feels ridiculously familiar, like it's just a pallete swap of the original. Replace dudes with women. Don't get me wrong, I like the choice of an all woman cast, that just can't hold the movie on its own. Show me something different. Something exciting. Something funny!

It is just a trailer though, so it may be a decent movie after all.

Yeah this bugged me too.

Arkeband

Banned
The visuals look amazing, but literally all of the humor shown seems to be some lazy snark or awkward one-liner delivery gags.

Expectations are appropriately set at "perfunctory".

I also noticed this, you have three goofy white women who are apparently world-class scientists and then the only black cast member introduces themself in such a self-deprecating way.

SArcher

Banned
New York itself has changed too much. It's lost that dingy quality. Now everything is slick looking and vibrant. I know it doesn't sound like a much on paper, but it was a big part of the atmosphere of the original. Crime was at an all time high, morale was at an all time low and the evil was feeding off it, unleashing ghosts. It was integral to the premise.

Just watched the trailer for the original and the city streets and buildings really do look a lot more menacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom