• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters (2016) Trailer #1 (Feig, Wiig, McCarthy, McKinnon, Jones)

Status
Not open for further replies.
CcoR6xuUcAQjH5s.jpg

a little on the nose with the Twinkie joke but I like it

This is a stunning shot.

I'm trying to remember what you mean...

What part is being interpreted as a molestation? I know there is a scene where she is grabbed into the chair and pulled into a room but that wasn't sexual?

No, the sequence whilst they are asleep. Belt gets undone..

Zaph

"You white people may be educated and smart and stuff but just like the originals made decades ago ima be the token black person."

Yeah, was into it up until that part, then I got a nice little reminder of what white feminism can look like.

Some things can stay in the past.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Just as I expected. Actors sleepwalking through a very dull reboot that misses the point entirely. Plenty of "explain the joke until its not funny" style comedy writing as well. Bleh.

Yeah I don't get why they made her the subway lady

Because dark folk in entertainment have to be the uneducated streetwise clowns. That was by far the most disappointing aspect of it. Winston was also relegated to being the uneducated off-the-street workhand with just enough, but not too much Blackness. Typical stuff for a white-dominant cast where skin color ratio seems to follow traditional patterns if you're not dealing directly with those issues, unfortunately.

Snaku

Banned
The content that's there looks good to me. Not the best cut trailer ever, and I think people confuse quality trailers with quality films. Prometheus had one of the most effectively cut trailers of all time, how'd that work out? I'll wait and see how the final film turns out. I loved Bridesmaids, The Heat, and Spy, I believe in Feig.

Rootbeer

Banned
What'd you think was happening here?
I'm not arguing it wasn't consentual but I never interpreted it that way. The scene always felt consentual to me. But I always watched it on old VHS tapes and stuff. In HD quality you can see his arms are tied down I guess... still there is this sense of awe over his face almost like he has no objection? I don't know what to think, lol

Nibel

Plenty of "explain the joke until its not funny" style comedy writing as well. Bleh.

Yeah, I agree with this. The wig/hat joke was the only one that made me chuckle until it went on and on.

Overall.. dunno; it looks very well made but nothing really grabbed me.

Boem

Eh. I liked Ghostbusters back then, but it never felt like a franchise that needed more entries. I didn't love it because of the world it presented, I loved it because of Murray, Aykroyd and Ramis. The time for them to do it again passed a long time ago (and it definitely did when Ramis passed), and that's fine. Not everything needs a sequel just because it has a recognizable theme song and logo.

My problem isn't that women are playing the leads. I would be just as disinterested with guys other than Murray etc. playing it. In fact, women playing it seems to be the only thing in the movie's favor right now. I'm awfully tired of reboots/continuations of age old franchises that pretty much play out like a half-hearted remake. We've gotten way too much of that in recent years, and judging from the trailer, this will be pretty much the same.

Nyx

That actually looked funny.

Wasn't expecting that... So yeah, even though I always thought a ''remake'' of these movies was a blasphemy I will watch it.

Sorcerer

The trailer literally says in the first 30 seconds,

"30 years ago
Four scientists saved New York
This Summer
A new team will answer the call"

Was thinking 30 years ago was just a reference to the actual original movie but you are probably correct, this isn't an entirely new universe. It is strange how this movie is presenting old ideas as something new while like the hearse as the Ghostbusters vehicle.

hokahey

Looks great visually. None of the jokes in the trailer landed. Leslie Jones yelling shtick is not funny. I hope it's good because I love McKinnon and Wiig.

I really want to like this, so I won't comment until I've seen the film.

I'll be smart going forward and refrain from watching anymore trailers, as well.

Yeah token black lady bothered me as well. Why do we need the same dumb setup for her as with Winston? Why can't she just be a scientist?
With what is shown her portrayal is way worse than Winston. Winston was cool because he was the one normal character in the group. He was level headed and got their simply by accepting a job ad. She seems to playing into token black lady tropes WAY more and seems way more insensitive.

Tadale

it is a sequel.

The YouTube description from Sony calls it a reboot, and it's not clear in the trailer that the story is a continuation.

EDIT: I don't think the text at the start of the trailer is necessarily referring to the story - more like it's referencing the movie itself.

Dalek

The look of the film is great-cool effects.

But the comedy in the trailer just didn't work, it seems to be a complete different tone than the original film. It could just be the trailer though, Sony's marketing teams haven't been good.

Platy

Except token black lady, I liked what I saw... Specialy because from what we know they showed nothing, I mean, there was one shot with Thor !

...weird that they didn't used the cops shot from the teaser o_O

This actually looks great. im still hoping ifs a psuedo sequel and not a full reboot as the original is one of my favorite films of all time. But this looks really funny. Im usually not a big mccarthy fan but there definitely some things from here in this trailer from her that made me chuckle. Kristen wiig looks to be hilarious as always. i dont know who the two others are but they both seem hilarious. This trailer has me impressed.

Shaanyboi

Banned
My fear is the reliance on gross-out/slapstick. Ghostbusters rarely relied on that stuff, and that's part of why I still love the shit out of it. It barely even relied on the ghostbusting parts. They'd only fire their proton packs like twice per movie. The charm was in all the snark and witticisms. They're pretty dry movies compared to most of what comes out today, but the actors come off as clever as shit.

I just fear that they're going to sacrifice that nuance for easy sight-gags.

Well, my opinion hasn't changed. This could be alright but even if it is it'll be no Ghostbusters. Rebooting a classic was a terrible ass idea, and they should have made an original concept or rebooted something else.

pbayne

"You white people may be educated and smart and stuff but just like the originals made decades ago ima be the token black person."

Yep worst part of the trailer. I kept thinking of the lady from Tom and Jerry when I hear her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom