• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters reboot cast announced - McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boem

It's so weird to me how Bill Murray made a joke during an interview about how a Ghostbusters sequel should star an all-women team and that that's enough to actually make it happen. After he effectively delayed the third movies for years and years by being philosophical about wanting to do it or not, until one of the original castmembers died.

Oh well, the only reason I was ever interested in the old movies was because Bill Murray was in it. At least they're taking a bit of a chance with this franchise, compared to all the other old franchises they keep bringing back. But I don't think I'm interested.

We're in the age of superhero movies and lukewarm franchises that ended ages ago. Logic only tells me that in 10 years or so we might hit a golden period where people actually start creating new things again.

anaron

All female ghostbusters is so fucking stupid. Do they not understand that the Ghostbusters were supposed to be essentially like pest control? How many hot women work in pest control or extermination or anything along those lines? This defeats the whole point of the original concept. If they want to have a female scientist leading the team or have some low class girl join the field team to make money fine but just recasting everyone to an all female team is fucking irritating.

Yeah...see

This is a movie

based on exterminating ghosts

I don't have a problem with any of them. What bums me out is that some point in the future, I'll talk to someone about Ghostbusters and they'll be referring to this reboot and not one of the greatest movies ever made.

I was thinking the same thing, haha. I've seen a lot of stuff I grew up with change over the years and I've never really cared until this. It's weird.

Can't imagine how I'm going to feel when the inevitable reboot to Back to the Future happens. :-(

what the hell happened to Rick Moranis? I haven't seen him in anything in like forever.

He retired from acting and makes county music occasionally. I think he did a comedy album awhile back also.

andymcc

Banned
Pretty fantastic casting.

Ready to drink the straight male tears

All female ghostbusters is so fucking stupid. Do they not understand that the Ghostbusters were supposed to be essentially like pest control? How many hot women work in pest control or extermination or anything along those lines? This defeats the whole point of the original concept. If they want to have a female scientist leading the team or have some low class girl join the field team to make money fine but just recasting everyone to an all female team is fucking irritating.

haha

All female ghostbusters is so fucking stupid. Do they not understand that the Ghostbusters were supposed to be essentially like pest control? How many hot women work in pest control or extermination or anything along those lines? This defeats the whole point of the original concept.

The hell are you talking about?

I think your understanding of "the original concept" is kinda fuckin borked, man.

edit: did I get baited?

Thanks for ruining my favorite franchise bill murray

Wait, the joke of Ghostbusters is that they're like pest control people?

So they are casting them wth the original teams names? A woman as Peter doesn't make sense to me.

McCarthy as slimer could be funny but seems weird considering the original Slimer didn't really have a personality.

Salsa

I think the last bit about bill murray gives away the trolling

tumblr_inline_mp34ccERgS1qz4rgp.jpg

Leslie Jones has been pretty funny on SNL. Don't know how she'd do in a film role, since most of what I've liked of her on SNL has been her ranting or playing someone similar in that boisterous role, but she's been consistently funny and unique with her delivery.

So they are casting them wth the original teams names? A woman as Peter doesn't make sense to me.

McCarthy as slimer could be funny but seems weird considering the original Slimer didn't really have a personality.

Oh god please don't make McCarthy Slimer. That oozes cheesiness
hehe oozes like slime hehe. That was bad. I apologize

Leslie Jones instead of Aisha Tyler.

Welp.

I would have seen it if Aisha Tyler was in. I might still.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... Need to see how they interact and what the style will be like. Ghostbusters is my favorite movie all time and it's pretty sacred to me. I don't hate any of the actresses, but I don't know if I can see them as Ghostbusters. Was hoping for at least Lizy Caplan.

Sapiens

Guys, women are funny okay. Maybe not these four in particular, but they're going to be the most marketable, deal with it.

Can't wait for the inevitable marketing cliches.

Even with a male cast this would have been yet another shitty remake of a great 80s film.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Kristen Wiig is terrible. TERRIBLE.

what the hell happened to Rick Moranis? I haven't seen him in anything in like forever.

His wife got sick (died?), so he retired take care of his kids.

This reboot is kinda interesting, but half the fun of the movie was messing with your typical 80's movie villain.

They don't make assholes like they did in the 70's and 80's.

Chairhome

Leslie Jones has been pretty funny on SNL. Don't know how she'd do in a film role, since most of what I've liked of her on SNL has been her ranting or playing someone similar in that boisterous role, but she's been consistently funny and unique with her delivery.

Those are literally the only roles I've seen her play and I didn't think she was that funny. Hope she proves me wrong.

xsarien

daedsiluap

8/10. Subtle notes of sexism with just a hint of knowing better. Points docked for not mentioning Harold Ramis spinning in his grave.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom