• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghostbusters reboot cast announced - McCarthy, Wiig, Jones, McKinnon

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtmd

Banned
You KNOW structually its going to be the same movie, you know the archtypes will be the same, you know itll be full of nudge nudge references to the original and you know for two years we're going to have 'We are own unique entry into the franchise' shoved down our throats from the production.

The Ghostbusters WERE those guys. I just dont see the Franchise appeal outside of them. Sorry Venkman.

I still don't understand why its an all-woman team. It's just weird. If your idea is to reboot Ghostbusters, what line of logic causes you to arrive at this conclusion? That aside, I've been sick of Wiig and McCarthy's shtick for awhile. I don't know much about the other two women except they are currently on SNL, which lowers my expectations for them tremendously.

Kinyou

tammy1utuf4.gif

Cdammen

So wait this is really a reboot? I thought this was a sequel where the original gang had sold on Ghostbusters as a franchise and that this was a story about another gang trying their luck on this. Or was that just a dream :(

Blader

I still don't understand why its an all-woman team. It's just weird. If your idea is to reboot Ghostbusters, what line of logic causes you to arrive at this conclusion?

"The last two were all men, how about this time all women instead?"

There's nothing weirder about casting four women as the leads than casting four men.

That said, I'm tired of Wiig and McCarthy's shtick too, and not knowing who the other two are at all means all I can focus on here is Wiig and McCarthy.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This really is gonna be an abomination that will get a widespread pass for its "progressiveness". I consider GB1 to be the perfect movie, a product of a perfect storm of talent, writing, and practical effects. Its sad to see its legacy getting fisted into a toilet.

antonz

So wait this is really a reboot? I thought this was a sequel where the original gang had sold on Ghostbusters as a franchise and that this was a story about another gang trying their luck on this. Or was that just a dream :(

Original Plan was for some sort of handoff but then Egon died and that killed the original crew hand off thing completely

Guess it's a reboot. If it was a passing the torch thing with new characters I would have been much, much more open to the movie. You don't even need all the actors, just have Dan Aykroyd at the beginning training them or something, or hell, just throw in some lines about how Ghostbusters is a franchise now and that this is a different team on the job.

Yeah sorry but god no. Yeah I get it Bridesmaids was a massive hit (and I actually really loved the movie) but applying the cast and cinematic theme of that to Ghostbusters turning it into a female centric comedy just annihilates the ethos of the franchise and why people loved the Ghostbusters movies in the first place. I don't want to sound too hyperbolic but this is quite possibly the worst decision I've ever seen Hollywood ever make.

The guy wants to make female centric comedies? Go ahead. You make great ones. But applying that to Ghostbusters is just going to render a cinematic abomination.

judhudson

The question remains...will they treat Leslie Jones like Ernie Hudson and leave her out of the movie poster and other marketing materials?

KalBalboa

Banned
Can anyone vouch for Leslie? Last I heard people found her to be pretty un-funny.

Any good examples of her online?

Huge Ghostbusters fan here. I even have a VHS of the original signed by Dan framed in my office.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
how long into the movie before they do a fat joke at McCarthy's expense?

"Whoof, you didn't say that ghosts were so f***** fast, why didn't you say the ghosts were so fast!"

andymcc

Banned
Yeah sorry but god no. Yeah I get it Bridesmaids was a massive hit (and I actually really loved the movie) but applying the cast and cinematic theme of that to Ghostbusters turning it into a female centric comedy just annihilates the ethos of the franchise and why people loved the Ghostbusters movies in the first place. I don't want to sound too hyperbolic but this is quite possibly the worst decision I've ever seen Hollywood ever make.

The guy wants to make female centric comedies? Go ahead. You make great ones. But applying that to Ghostbusters is just going to render a cinematic abomination.

it's not going to go back in time and ruin the original.

besides, the second film had a better chance of doing that.

spookyfish

Awesome. SNL casting (except for McCarthy).

This franchise is truly dead now.

it's not going to go back in time and ruin the original.

besides, the second film had a better chance of doing that.

Eh, I'll agree with this. Second film was b-a-d.

HoJu

i'm pretty sure females don't even believe in ghosts so this casting makes no sense to me.
they also hate slime and everything to do with it, unlike us men.

I've often wondered this so I hope you don't mind me asking. What is a female centric comedy? Like where is the line? Is it just a comedy with girls in it? Or does it have to have period jokes? Are there male centric comedies? Are there just regular comedies? Where would something like Coming to America fit? Would it be closer to a romantic comedy? Are those pretty much all female centric? Or is it the female lead count that pushes it to female centric? This is not me trying to be a dick, I just never understood the line.

Measley

how long into the movie before they do a fat joke at McCarthy's expense?

"Whoof, you didn't say that ghosts were so f***** fast, why didn't you say the ghosts were so fast!"

She's playing Slimer.

I don't know how the hell that's supposed to work.

Nekofrog

Banned
This really is gonna be an abomination that will get a widespread pass for its "progressiveness". I consider GB1 to be the perfect movie, a product of a perfect storm of talent, writing, and practical effects. Its sad to see its legacy getting fisted into a toilet.

jesus christ the rhetoric in this thread

it's a movie. if you don't want to watch it, don't watch it. ghostbusters 1 will still be there.

yea no problem with women being cast for lead roles in ghostbusters, what I dont get is the gender swapping with already established characters..

Foggy

It could end up being really great, but it's hard not to look like a C-tier cast compared to the original cast.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
This along with another Fantastic 4 movie, and an Indiana Jones reboot further proves how creatively bankrupt hollywood is. I mean really? Are there no scripts out there? wtf

antonz

A real loss for the acting community, but it really shows how much of a good person he was, giving up fame for family.

He actually had said he was willing to come out of retirement for Ghostbusters 3 if the script was good. So its a shame Ramis died and the project never will happen. Would have been fun to see him as Tully again

This along with another Fantastic 4 movie, and an Indiana Jones reboot further proves how creatively bankrupt hollywood is. I mean really? Are there no scripts out there? wtf

*Cue 12th "BOMBA" thread of GAF shitting on Jupiter Ascending, followed by insane hype thread for Marvel movie #41*

Very solid. McCarthy can be entertaining, when she's not being milked for physical comedy. I thought she was genuinely solid in The Heat - with Feig behind this, I think it'll be solid.

Wiig's very much the same way. She's a great straight woman to McCarthy's foil. Then you've got McKinnon & Jones, who have each done really sharp things on SNL this season.

It's not my ideal casting (no Aidy Bryant) - but I'm liking it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom