• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Ghostbusters' reboot starts filming in Boston this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Why? Winston wasn't angry, won't she be similar to that character?

Why do people think their personalities will match with the original characters? Sure she has a Ray necklace on, but that doesn't mean she is going to be a straight up Winston clone. That would just be dumb and would not do the franchise any favors.

Jigorath

Banned
Without the original cast? Of course.

Another film with the original cast wasn't happening.

Why do people think their personalities will match with the original characters? Sure she has a Ray necklace on, but that doesn't mean she is going to be a straight up Winston clone. That would just be dumb and would not do the franchise any favors.

Yeah. I trust Feig won't just make the cast a clone of the original.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Everything is looking great. After watching Spy, I have no fears about this film, besides Leslie Jones playing her angry character from SNL the entire way through.

Spy's a terribad film. Other than Melissa's hilarious cursing tirades there's nothing redeemable about it.

Without the original cast? Of course.

We probably would've had a couple more sequels if Bill Murray didn't care about his movie career and was only interested in collecting paychecks. But I think his stance of making another sequel said quite a bit about Ghostbusters II. It wasn't a bad movie, but it was an empty shell of the original that was retooled to be marketed at younger audiences that were familiar with the cartoon series.

They tried reboots with new casts multiple times, the only one to come out was Ghostbusters Extreme, which was more or less the outline for one of the proposed movies that Dan Aykroyd had been working on.

I think Ghostbusters is one of those ideas that could live beyond its original conception and be envisioned in multiple ways. I was expecting a reboot no matter what. So far this one doesn't look too bad.

While I think you're right in saying that we can't attribute the original characters to the new cast based on looks alone there is a visual symmetry between this cast and the original that struck me when the latest picture of them together was shown.

Also, Feig has been playing everything fairly close to the same playbook that made the original such a success. Casting primarily from SNL, using very similar visual props and logos. Everything about this has a very similar feel. It's enough to get me excited.

The character personalities could be very different but I really wouldn't be shocked at all if we get a similar dynamic to what the original had.

OnPoint

I figure she'll be in the same mold, not a clone. But that's a guess. Why assume she'll be anything at this point, then, with that logic? People like to speculate and right now all people have is that to go on.

Loved the first movie. It was a product of great casting and the fact that NYC was essentially a cast member since they adored the cast at the time. This movie feels like a gimmick for gimmicks sake. I have zero expectations for it to be good, but I hope it turns out great. I never have a problem watching a good movie. It can't insult the memory of the first movie anymore than the sequel and Bobby's Brown's idiotic theme song did.

Man, the second movie is just hated...shesh. I liked the second movie and I like the song *shrug*

Used to watch them both so much as a kid.

As for the recent pic I liked the uniforms! Also the pic of the bike with their logo...is there no Ecto this time?

I figure she'll be in the same mold, not a clone. But that's a guess. Why assume she'll be anything at this point, then, with that logic? People like to speculate and right now all people have is that to go on.

We actually have more than that, we had full character bios leaked a few months ago. They are not copies or gender swaps of the original four. There is a similar dynamic of "It starts off with three people and then it becomes four later on" but aside from Wiig and McCarthy's character's names we don't know which bios go to the other two.

Man, the second movie is just hated...shesh. I liked the second movie and I like the song *shrug*

Used to watch them both so much as a kid.

As for the recent pic I liked the uniforms! Also the pic of the bike with their logo...is there no Ecto this time?

CJW6vnDWcAATGo5.jpg

big ander

Loved the first movie. It was a product of great casting and the fact that NYC was essentially a cast member since they adored the cast at the time. This movie feels like a gimmick for gimmicks sake. I have zero expectations for it to be good, but I hope it turns out great. I never have a problem watching a good movie. It can't insult the memory of the first movie anymore than the sequel and Bobby's Brown's idiotic theme song did.
Hey, here's something that's already been discussed a ton that you missed: the first movie was mostly not filmed in NYC. It was filmed in Los Angeles.

OnPoint

We actually have more than that, we had full character bios leaked a few months ago. They are not copies or gender swaps of the original four. There is a similar dynamic of "It starts off with three people and then it becomes four later on" but aside from Wiig and McCarthy's character's names we don't know which bios go to the other two.

Ahh. Well then I guess she could and probably will be unique from Winston then.

straximus

Neo Member
Everything? I think it'd be rad to reboot the Mona Lisa. Instead of being set in Northern Italy's Bobbio, the backdrop could be an abandoned eatery in a multi-use Citgo off highway 465 near Birmingham, Alabama.

Also, Mona is now a balding mid-40's Asian man wearing a half zipped Fila windbreaker.

baledZI.jpg

Ahh. Well then I guess she could and probably will be unique from Winston then.

Did some Googlin' to try and be more helpful:

Erin Gabler (Wiig) is an academic on the tenure track at Columbia. Her former colleague and co-author is…
Abby Bergman (McCarthy), who’s more on the pop parapsychology side of things, and pursues ghosts for a living.
Jillian is Abby’s ghost hunting partner.
Patty is an MTA employee who comes across the main ghost.

Jillian and Patty could honestly be either of the other two girls. If they do just "make the black girl Winston" then I guess Leslie would be Patty but I hope they don't do that. I was kinda disappointed that they had the chance to do a reboot but still kept to the "three white people and one black person", this was the perfect opportunity to switch that up more.

What the hell is this? Where are the wings, and the LED sign?

LED sign is planed for the sequel, along with a new logo where the ghost is making a little heart symbol with his hands.

*ques Run DMC *
vVQrZM.gif

I never really liked the peace (two) symbol in the logo for the second movie. It didn't make any sense in the context of the movie even though it was used for promotional material and advertising for the movie itself. Ecto 1A was pretty baller though.

NYR

What the hell is this? Where are the wings, and the LED sign?

This isn't Ghostbusters, it's just a soulless cash-in.
Wouldn't a really expensive-looking detailed Ghostmobile be the soulless cash-in? Would go against the story of starting up a business.

I really like that crazily oversized light up in front there, makes me smile every time I see it.

I kind of like all I've seen,I just hope that the humour isn't too weighed towards the cringey embarrassing stuff, I want to root for those people like I did the original crew.

I was excited by the idea of ghostbusters way before the original movie was actually released over here(it hit the UK six months after the US but the hype started about the same time) and the cast were pretty unknown to me at the time too so i'm trying to give this the same chance I did the original.

I just want to come out of the movie wishing there were action figures of it (or wanting to buy them if there are)

It got its own thread but just in case:

G4XEmb0h.jpg

I talked some serious shit on Feig when this was announced. Pertaining to his reasons for doing a reboot instead of a sequel, and his desire to get rid of things like the Ecto 1 and garage kit proton packs, that is. I never had a problem with it being all women, and I even said it could very well turn out good, but I didn't feel like it would be deserving of being called "Ghostbusters" instead of some other new ghost hunting franchise.

But this is looking good so far. I'm really digging it. The hardest part was accepting we'd never get another movie with the original four, but now that I've gotten past that I am so down for this new world they're creating.

They are firefighter suits. Since the 80's, suits of this type now have added reflective sections for safety reasons, allowing the firefighter to be seen in the dark areas of burning buildings.

005.jpg

summer.jpg

The idea is clearly, "what if Ghostbusters happened now?" This is the off-the-rack stuff. The car is an 80's model, because finding a cheap, still-running version of the original Ecto-1 (1959 Caddy) is something that's limited to collectors these days.

OK this makes sense. Just like Army surplus in the original.

Welp, I couldn't help it. That new shot of them in front of the Ecto is my wallpaper now, because it is beautiful and amazing and I love itttttt <3

Time to start workin' on some costumes... /coughcough

Oh man, here's a late night thought... I really, really hope Charlie Day gets a part in this film. Especially since he's basically this generation's Rick Moranis :D He'd be perfect! Sigh. It probably won't happen, but a gal can dream, right?

It got its own thread but just in case:

G4XEmb0h.jpg

I talked some serious shit on Feig when this was announced. Pertaining to his reasons for doing a reboot instead of a sequel, and his desire to get rid of things like the Ecto 1 and garage kit proton packs, that is. I never had a problem with it being all women, and I even said it could very well turn out good, but I didn't feel like it would be deserving of being called "Ghostbusters" instead of some other new ghost hunting franchise.

But this is looking good so far. I'm really digging it. The hardest part was accepting we'd never get another movie with the original four, but now that I've gotten past that I am so down for this new world they're creating.

Damn! They look great! They look like real characters as opposed to just the four of them in Ghostbusters costumes. This is so fantastic. And that Ecto1 is excellent.

That would be perfect if not for the stripes.

See the post above about the firefighter outfits. It makes sense in that context, and the stripes are a lot less stark when they're wearing their proton packs and the belt for them is also visible.

Quick question, should we make a thread for general discussion of the movie until it gets closer to the release date? I think this one does alright, but there's the other one with the group shot as well... just a thought.

ALSO! KAL! I hope you're having fun/had fun (?) on set!!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
They're shooting a concert scene at the Wang Theatre in Boston from 7/28-7/30 and looking for extras. I'd apply if I didn't have to work!

Billy Dowd Casting says it&#8217;s looking for people 35 and under &#8212; as well as older people who look like metal heads &#8212; to play the audience at a heavy metal concert in a scene that films from July 28 to 30. Dowd warns that the job doesn&#8217;t pay big bucks &#8212; but parking and lunch are included&#8230; To apply, send a clear and recent photo with your name, age, and number to heavymetalcasting2015@gmail.com.

http://www.vanyaland.com/2015/07/17...extras-for-concert-scene/.VamDkEg1Wi8.twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom