• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V PS4 has frame drops on some stages, issues with PS3 sticks

Neoxon

Ugh, this is a total mess. I feel that this game wasn't ready to be released.

KOF XIV, Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator, & Tekken 7 will run circles around this game in terms of both content & stability once they're out.
But by the time those games come out, Street Fighter V would have already gained a ton of modes that would make it comparable to them. Not to mention the inevitable patches that will likely fix the stability issues.

Neoxon

Im not part of the fgc so i dont know how accurate that thread title is but sounds like quite abit of hyperbole. Hopefully they get things fixed for the players soon.
The SFIV & MvC3 games didn't run so hot on the PS3. And USF4 initially had massive issues on the PS4 that were eventually fixed. Though to my knowledge, SFxT was fine.

Also, thanks for the title change, mods.

notworksafe

Im not part of the fgc so i dont know how accurate that thread title is but sounds like quite abit of hyperbole. Hopefully they get things fixed for the players soon.

It is 100% accurate. SF4 and Marvel 3 had sub par performance on PS3. USF4 had subpar performance on PS4 but after multiple months was eventually fixed. SFV has sub par performance on PS4.

DrDogg

Poor implementation of the LabZeroDriver:

Already seeing reports of input lag when it comes to the implementation of the driver and how insane the menu is to simply get it working. End of the day this will force tournaments to ban PS3 sticks. We have already seen talk of this on twitter from tournament organizers. This is huge in a community where not everyone has the money to cough up for brand new sticks or pads.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand with how much money Sony pumped into this Ono and Dimps would have made sure these issues at least were not present.

Uh... I've had zero issues to get it working other than a slight inconvenience of having to exit out to the main menu and then into the other settings tab to do it (which means you can't just plug it in and go). Not sure how people think it's "insane" other than that slight inconvenience.

LPride

Banned
I dont get it, are reviewers complaining about this too? Game is getting some great scores, and all the cons Im hearing are about not enough content.

Reviewers probably arent playing at a high enough level to even notice the input drops. Something that will only happen on specific stages, at specific times. Theyre going to be interested in reviewing for the average person.

Neoxon

It is 100% accurate. SF4 and Marvel 3 had sub par performance on PS3. USF4 had subpar performance on PS4 but after multiple months was eventually fixed. SFV has sub par performance on PS4.
But SFV's PS4 performance issues aren't on the level of USF4 PS4 at launch. And given how hard Capcom & Sony are pushing this game as an eSports game, I wouldn't be surprised if we got a patch to fix those few stages before Final Round. But until then, tournaments will probably ban the particular stages that are currently causing the frame drops.

But by the time those games come out, Street Fighter V would have already gained a ton of modes that would make it comparable to them. Not to mention the inevitable patches that will likely fix the stability issues.

I know, but I was talking about games having many game modes & no issues whatsoever on day one.

notworksafe

Uh... I've had zero issues to get it working other than a slight inconvenience of having to exit out to the main menu and then into the other settings tab to do it (which means you can't just plug it in and go). Not sure how people think it's "insane" other than that slight inconvenience.

Aka how it is supposed to work if implemented correctly.

It's so weird that this new gen of fg players had no tolerance for slowdown on stages. It did this on arcade cabs, home versions, etc. It's actually a part of the game like weather/wind in real sports.

The stages and moves should be optimized to where drops don't happen though. I see it as an oversight. They probably just have to patch out some effects or background detail to stop it. I don't think this will be a permanent issue. Same with the supposed ps3 stick issues.

notworksafe

But SFV's PS4 performance issues aren't on the level of USF4 PS4 at launch. And given how hard Capcom & Sony are pushing this game as an eSports game, I wouldn't be surprised if we got a patch to fix those few stages before Final Round. But until then, tournaments will probably ban the particular stages that are currently causing the frame drops.

The title was still 100% correct. Capcom has yet to get a fighting game to work correctly on Playstation platforms at launch.

The title was still 100% correct. Capcom has yet to get a fighting game to work correctly on Playstation platforms at launch.

I guess it's just tradition from the PS1 days. That X-Men Vs Street Fighter port - no tag-team in a tag-team game. Yikes! Should've bought a Saturn...

Capcim vs SNK 2 was lit.

Though I never had many problems with their PS2 or even PSP stuff, yeah. They were pretty on point. It was only last gen that these problems started coming up I think. Unless I'm missing something.

It's so weird that this new gen of fg players had no tolerance for slowdown on stages. It did this on arcade cabs, home versions, etc. It's actually a part of the game like weather/wind in real sports.

Regardless of how past games performed, slowdown and frame drops in any game are undesired occurrences. These are also things that can be eliminated (and likely will with patches), unlike the real world examples for sports you give above. For a fighting game, or any other game that relies on twitch reflexes, I'd argue that these are issues that you wouldn't want present upon release.

"We need those NPC to make the Street Fighter tournament lively"

I don't know why Sony and Capcom bother to put so much detail into the background if it cost performance.

Mr. X

The stages and moves should be optimized to where drops don't happen though. I see it as an oversight. They probably just have to patch out some effects or background detail to stop it. I don't think this will be a permanent issue. Same with the supposed ps3 stick issues.
If the arcade version slowed down, it was still the standard. The game isn't coming to a crawl, it's just not running at a locked 60fps.

Skilletor

Probably because it shouldn't be tolerated in games all about timing.

Just because it's happened in the past doesn't make it acceptable going forward.

Bad look on this, Capcom. I don't want to see training stage for 8 more years.

Swarna

Worst case scenario they'll dial back on the graphics a bit and get the framerate consistent. There was a slight graphical improvement in one of the betas and I reckon that's where the performance got lowered.

Not a huge deal but not desirable, either.

I don't know why Sony and Capcom bother to put so much detail into the background if it cost performance.

The Russian stage is probably the most demanding from my experience in the Beta.

If the arcade version slowed down, it was still the standard.

But the arcade should have been better tested and optimized. Frame drops and slowdown are not intentional.

Sf2 ran on underpowered hardware, when it went to cps2 on super turbo most of that slowdown was gone.

Boke1879

The Russian stage is probably the most demanding from my experience in the Beta.

I'm a fan of pretty backgrounds but yea. In a game like this. Just dial back. I'd honestly be shocked if we didn't get a patch within the week.

Mr. X

Probably because it shouldn't be tolerated in games all about timing.

Just because it's happened in the past doesn't make it acceptable going forward.

Bad look on this, Capcom. I don't want to see training stage for 8 more years.
Too bad it will continue to happen huh? At least until PC only fighters running on suped up hardware.

Mr. X

But the arcade should have been better tested and optimized. Frame drops and slowdown are not intentional.

Sf2 ran on underpowered hardware, when it went to cps2 on super turbo most of that slowdown was gone.
There's intentionally making slowdown happen for setups/combos in ST fam.

MvC2 Blackheart on Glacier stage had an advantage.

If this gets fixed is cool but you guys are exaggerating to an unreal level.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
The title wasn't shaming Sony but Capcom.

Weird that people took it that way.

I can't believe people are getting it twisted.

To be 100% clear Capcom is who I'm putting on Blast not Sony or any of their platforms.

End result I want to see the game the best it can be in a competitive environment and the Capcom Pro Tour. Step your shit up Capcom and address this ASAP.

Boke1879

I can't believe people are getting it twisted.

To be 100% clear Capcom is who I'm putting on Blast not Sony or any of their platforms.

End result I want to see the game the best it can be in a competitive environment and the Capcom Pro Tour. Step your shit up Capcom and address this ASAP.

I'd be shocked if they don't honestly. I'm sure combofiend is keeping his ear the scene. This shit will be patched ASAP.

While frame drops in certain stages are not acceptable FG tournaments are usually played in training stage most of the time anyways. As for the ps3 stick input lag that is unacceptable as many players(not including me) rely of their old ps3 stick to play this game.

I guess it's just tradition from the PS1 days. That X-Men Vs Street Fighter port - no tag-team in a tag-team game. Yikes! Should've bought a Saturn...

Yeah, it's most likely a curse of Capcom fighting games on PS platforms.

X-Men: Children of the Atom, Marvel Super Heroes, X-Men Vs. Street Fighter, & Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter? All superior on Sega Saturn.

Marvel Vs. Capcom 1 & 2? Superior on Dreamcast.

Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, & SF IV & it's iterations? Superior on Xbox 360.

Street Fighter Alpha games & Capcom Vs. SNK 1 & 2? Superior on Sega Saturn & on Dreamcast (plus on Xbox).

The only times when Capcom didn't have any problems with fighting games on PS platforms, is whenever they're either Playstation exclusive or if they're coming off of ports from the Arcade &/or Dreamcast versions of their fighters.

Boke1879

Giving this information to the right people who can tell Capcom about these issues would help.

Combofiend who is the community manager for CC no doubt is talking to a lot of the pro players in the area and I'm sure they've been playing this game for quite some time. If there is anything major like this wrong with the game. I'm sure he and anyone in the know at Capcom already knows.

It's why I expect a patch relatively quickly.

Skilletor

While frame drops in certain stages are not acceptable FG tournaments are usually played in training stage most of the time anyways. As for the ps3 stick input lag that is unacceptable as many players(not including me) rely of their old ps3 stick to play this game.

Capcom games are played in training stage BECAUSE of the framedrops. No other game does this that I can think of.

You guys lol.

Street Fighter now follows the "games as a service" model.

A major point of that model is constant improvement.

Hell, you get a new character next month.

This is minor and will be fixed in no time .

What does the "Games as a service" model have to do with the fact that it has performance issues at launch? Games as a service is about releasing new content over a period of time.

King_Moc

Banned
You guys lol.

Street Fighter now follows the "games as a service" model.

A major point of that model is constant improvement.

Hell, you get a new character next month.

This is minor and will be fixed in no time .

It's had 4 beta's. A competitive fighter should never drop below 60fps.

Duxxy3

One of the more disappointing parts about this generation is how hostile the new consoles are to old controllers and sticks.

jett

D-Member
I'm a fan of pretty backgrounds but yea. In a game like this. Just dial back. I'd honestly be shocked if we didn't get a patch within the week.

Dial back? These stages don't even look good, they're filled with low-res textures and low-poly NPCs animating at 30fps. Hopefully they will be able to make further optimizations. After all, the supers in SF4 used to be subHD on PS3, and that was fixed for the sequels.

The game definitely should be running at a locked 60fps no matter what. Thankfully I'm gonna be playing this thing on PC. :p

SkylineRKR

Ugh, this is a total mess. I feel that this game wasn't ready to be released.

KOF XIV, Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator, & Tekken 7 will run circles around this game in terms of both content & stability once they're out.

First of all, when Tekken 7 is out, SFV should have added about all of its content and year one new characters. Secondly, I wouldn't be surprised if Tekken 7 has its issues too when it comes out. Its par for the course nowadays.

KOF XIV could be another XII, a new KOF on a completely new engine. Revelator is pretty much a Xrd Turbo, a second release.

MrDaravon

I asked this somewhere in one of the other threads recently and can't remember where, but for the PS3 stick thing the issue is you've got to have one PS4 controller active for each PS3 thing you're putting in right? So this means for tournaments all of the PS4s would have to have USB hubs since you would have either 3 or 4 things that would need to be plugged in? Is this right? If this is accurate based on the OP it sounds like maybe other games don't have this problem? I saw in passing the other day someone saying that SFV handles it just like MKX. I'm completely ignorant on this bit, just wanting to understand the specifics.

Also LOL at people wanting the other stages fixed so they'll be played on stream; 99% players at any sort of reasonable skill level will always, always picking Training stage no matter what because it's what they all practice on for spacing. I agree the other stages having problems is not acceptable and needs to be addressed ASAP, but that's not going to have a bearing on what stages you see on streams generally speaking.

Top Bottom