• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V PS4 has frame drops on some stages, issues with PS3 sticks

Devil

So they wasted their time and shouldn't have even tried to get backwards compatibility for PS3 sticks working, gotcha.

If there's no day one patch and the frame drops are real, that's bad news though.

I got the game since saturday and framedrops are real. I noticed it about once or twice per hour of actual gameplay.
There already was a 6GB patch when I first started the game btw.

DrDogg

Aka how it is supposed to work if implemented correctly.

In MKX you just plug the PS3 stick in and it automatically pops up the dialogue to sync it with a PS4 controller. The only difference that I've found is that SF5 doesn't give you this dialogue as soon as you plug in the controller. Instead, you have to go to Other Settings from the Main Menu and click on the Player 1 or Player 2 PS3 stick activation text.

If I want to switch sticks between matches, that means I have to exit VS. mode or whatever and do that. In MKX that wasn't an issue. Slight inconvenice, sure... but I wouldn't consider that to be some insane issue to get it working.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Meh

As long as this is all fixed by the time I pick up the game in April I'm OK with this. Thankfully this is all fixable via a patch.

Jaeger

I'm not entirely sure why dimps were the go to dev for this anyway. They're solidly mid tier, making decent but at least slightly flawed software. I can't think of anything they made recently that lived up to what it should have been.

You mean the company that made the hugely successful previous Street Fighter title?

DigiMish

Also LOL at people wanting the other stages fixed so they'll be played on stream; 99% players at any sort of reasonable skill level will always, always picking Training stage no matter what because it's what they all practice on for spacing. I agree the other stages having problems is not acceptable and needs to be addressed ASAP, but that's not going to have a bearing on what stages you see on streams generally speaking.

As a tournament player, that's just not correct at all.

notworksafe

In MKX you just plug the PS3 stick in and it automatically pops up the dialogue to sync it with a PS4 controller. The only difference that I've found is that SF5 doesn't give you this dialogue as soon as you plug in the controller. Instead, you have to go to Other Settings from the Main Menu and click on the Player 1 or Player 2 PS3 stick activation text.

If I want to switch sticks between matches, that means I have to exit VS. mode or whatever and do that. In MKX that wasn't an issue. Slight inconvenice, sure... but I wouldn't consider that to be some insane issue to get it working.

For a home user it's definitely not as big of a deal. As someone who runs tournaments, it's a real pain in the ass.

Sanctuary

The game runs at 60fps on PS4 however on some stages in critical points of competitive gameplay the game will drop frames thus fucking with your inputs.

Considering how lenient the timing in this game is supposed to be, it must be dropping a whole lot of frames if it's screwing with inputs that badly. And that's shitty news on the PS3 stick front. Looks like I'll have to be setting up yet another Cronus for my lazy friend who won't do it himself.

I don't know why companies are having so much trouble with the Lab Zero PS3 stick driver. It works flawlessly in Skullgirls. :/

And I hope people are hype for the training stage theme ad infinatum at all tournaments! :(

GeoNeo

I disagree.

If I want to switch sticks between matches, that means I have to exit VS. mode or whatever and do that.In MKX that wasn't an issue. Slight inconvenice, sure... but I wouldn't consider that to be some insane issue to get it working.

The issue is for TOs this process adds to time required to set things up. Not to mention people complaining about input lag.

TOs like Alex Jebaily, Shin Blanka and even MrWiz are deciding now if they should simply ban PS3 support.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
The framedrops can be worked around and will probably be fixed fairly quickly, but it's still bush league for any fighting game, much less one from Capcom, to drop frames.

I don't know why companies are having so much trouble with the Lab Zero PS3 stick driver. It works flawlessly in Skullgirls. :/

And I hope people are hype for the training stage theme ad infinatum at all tournaments! :(
Well that's how it usually is anyways, so if it wasn't an issue for the entirety of 4's life then I Don't see why it would be now

El Sloth

Banned
So, has anyone actually run any tests to verify this yet or are we all just taking each other's word for it?

Don't get me wrong, Geoneo, I don't think you're lying. I also thought I noticed a few instances of frames dropping while I was playing over the weekend. I didn't notice any input lag, but a friend thought it was unplayable and switched to a PS4 pad. Your word and mine don't mean much without some hard proof though.

Valle knows what's up with using the PC version for his weeklies. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

In fairness the PC version is incredibly solid. And there is the potential for the demo vs mode that was discovered in the Beta 2 data to be ported to the release version (which turns the game into a competive-only mode - boot, configure sticks, load to character select - no menus, cutscenes etc.)

There's also the potential of modding stages - for example adding tournament logos to the background of the training stage to at least make tournaments look distinct (and maybe adding a wider variety of music that can be played on the training stage!)

Jaeger

It absolutely does. Why were Dimps picked again when they couldn't get it right on PS the last time?

Because they "got it right" on the other major platform, and whatever issues with the PS3 version didn't keep it from moving millions of units, obtaining a 90+ aggregated score, and securing an exclusive platform deal with Sony.

ps3ud0

Man this is kinda disappointing after USFIVs initial issues, expected some niggles with PS3 sticks but not any frame rate problems. Though some people are saying other fighting games have had specific stages that have had issues in the past - I thought something like that just wouldnt ever be acceptable in a fighting game.

I expect it to be fixed but damn Capcom you dont like releasing stuff without issues...

ps3ud0 8)

Because they "got it right" on the other major platform, and whatever issues with the PS3 version didn't keep it from moving millions of units, obtaining a 90+ aggregated score, and securing an inclusive platform deal with Sony.

In addition DIMPs have a very, very long history with Street Fighter, and Ono has lots of experience working with them.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
So, has anyone actually run any tests to verify this yet or are we all just taking each other's word for it?

Don't get me wrong, Geoneo, I don't think you're lying. I also thought I noticed a few instances of frames dropping while I was playing over the weekend. I didn't notice any input lag, but a friend thought it was unplayable and switched to a PS4 pad. Your word and mine don't mean much without some hard proof though.

I don't have capture gear to show off the frame drops. But, even Justin Wong and Floe noticed it and other well known players in the chat backed up the fact.

I'm hoping someone with the capture gear can show it off.

notworksafe

Because they "got it right" on the other major platform, and whatever issues with the PS3 version didn't keep it from moving millions of units, obtaining a 90+ aggregated score, and securing an exclusive platform deal with Sony.

And now we have an halfassed game releasing with frame drops and input lag. Clearly an excellent choice of developer! At least all seems to be well on PC, minus the lack of directinput support.

Neff

Disappointing, but not the end of the world. I'll be buying a PS4 stick at some point because I can see developers having trouble with the PS3 driver in future, or simply not bothering with it at all.

The title was still 100% correct. Capcom has yet to get a fighting game to work correctly on Playstation platforms at launch.

Street Fighter EX was as close to perfect as you could get.

Of course being made for the System 11 board which is basically a juiced-up PSone helped.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Hopefully the PS3 stick issue is addressed quickly (I think it will be), I have no desire to buy a ps4 stick anytime soon.

But frame rate drops in certain stages is just unacceptable, rock solid 60fps should take priority over everything.

Jaeger

And now we have an halfassed game releasing with frame drops and input lag. Clearly an excellent choice of developer! At least all seems to be well on PC, minus the lack of directinput support.

Well, obviously you're view of this incredibly minor issue paints an entirely different picture than mine.

For curiosity's sake, who would be a better choice to develop this game outside of DIMPS? I would like to know the perfect developer who never has issues with a game PRIOR to launch.

kobu

Disappointing, but not the end of the world. I'll be buying a PS4 stick at some point because I can see developers having trouble with the PS3 driver in future, or simply not bothering with it at all.

Street Fighter EX was as close to perfect as you could get.

Of course being made for the System 11 board which is basically a juiced-up PSone helped.

nah ex1/2 had ridiculous frame drops on ps1

Sanctuary

I guess it's just tradition from the PS1 days. That X-Men Vs Street Fighter port - no tag-team in a tag-team game. Yikes! Should've bought a Saturn...

Though I never had many problems with their PS2 or even PSP stuff, yeah. They were pretty on point. It was only last gen that these problems started coming up I think. Unless I'm missing something.

The Saturn version of X-Men vs Street Fighter was flawless. Sure, it required a 4meg addon cart, but it ran arcade perfect. Infinites and all. So on that front, it's apples to oranges since it was a system issue, not a software issue.

Also LOL at people wanting the other stages fixed so they'll be played on stream; 99% players at any sort of reasonable skill level will always, always picking Training stage no matter what because it's what they all practice on for spacing. I agree the other stages having problems is not acceptable and needs to be addressed ASAP, but that's not going to have a bearing on what stages you see on streams generally speaking.

Oh please. It's as though no one learned how to play fighting games before grid mode appeared. You might "learn" spacing by counting inches (which could be done similarly on actual stages), but you don't focus on the actual lines after it becomes ingrained.

omonimo

Banned
This is the generation of the patches. Never buy a game at launch without check before DF analysis. I have learned my lesson with The Witcher 3.

To this day I still haven't felt/seen this lag or been shown video proof of it no matter how many times I've asked.

Edit: I've also only played in training mode and some VS. matches all offline if that makes a difference.

Korezo

It is 100% accurate. SF4 and Marvel 3 had sub par performance on PS3. USF4 had subpar performance on PS4 but after multiple months was eventually fixed. SFV has sub par performance on PS4.

Are you trying to say SFV would run perfect if it was on xbox? And does this happen on the pc version?

qcf x2

Well, obviously you're view of this incredibly minor issue paints an entirely different picture than mine.

For curiosity's sake, who would be a better choice to develop this game outside of DIMPS? I would like to know the perfect developer who never has issues with a game PRIOR to launch.

Frame drops are an incredibly minor issue in a fighting game that's basically excusing a lack of content because what is there is supposed to be top notch? The handwaving is getting out of control.

Also LOL at people wanting the other stages fixed so they'll be played on stream; 99% players at any sort of reasonable skill level will always, always picking Training stage no matter what because it's what they all practice on for spacing.

This is true if you're new to Street Fighter. After a while you take the training wheels off and gain confidence.

Are you trying to say SFV would run perfect if it was on xbox? And does this happen on the pc version?

Dude, read what he said. He's faulting DIMPS, not a particular console.

They'll fix this. Of course they will.

Although it is a different situation, remember how terrible USFIV was on PS4? Took them a bit to patch, but now it's immaculate.

Poster#1

You guys lol.

Street Fighter now follows the "games as a service" model.

A major point of that model is constant improvement.

Hell, you get a new character next month.

This is minor and will be fixed in no time .

So we should excuse this bullshit? It's not even free 2 play ffs.

Stage specific frame drops. Groovy. Looks like another couple of years of watching streams and seeing nothing but the fucking bland as hell training room stage.

Sucks that apparently no one but Lab Zero can get the LabZeroDriver to work.

Fuuuuuuck I hope not.

That fucking stage is my absolute least favourite thing about watching competitive SF.

I wish Capcom would stop putting those god awful 'grid paper' training stages in their games. They're bloody awful to look at and just unnecessary. Really not a good look for people looking into picking the game up. Just fix the damn framerate problems.

Then don't buy it. His whole point is that despite the fact that Dimps did a subpar job on the last SF game, it sold gangbusters.

Why change what worked for them in the past and made them a lot of money?

I asked this somewhere in one of the other threads recently and can't remember where, but for the PS3 stick thing the issue is you've got to have one PS4 controller active for each PS3 thing you're putting in right? So this means for tournaments all of the PS4s would have to have USB hubs since you would have either 3 or 4 things that would need to be plugged in? Is this right? If this is accurate based on the OP it sounds like maybe other games don't have this problem? I saw in passing the other day someone saying that SFV handles it just like MKX. I'm completely ignorant on this bit, just wanting to understand the specifics.

I disagree. People were forced to use that training stage in practice mode. And its picked in VS to be safe around franerate issues. Some people like for sure. Alot of people dont. All of reasonable skill level. I am of reasonable skill level and i am sick of the training stage.

I like seeing variety of stages when watching tekken stuff.

I dont even know why its so taxing. They dont even look that great. Get those npcs out of there and just make it look nice.

JJD

I'm not entirely sure why dimps were the go to dev for this anyway. They're solidly mid tier, making decent but at least slightly flawed software. I can't think of anything they made recently that lived up to what it should have been.

Huh...Street Fighter 4 and all it's revisions??? There is probably no developer better suited to make a SF game than Dimps dude...not even inside Capcom.

It's had 4 beta's. A competitive fighter should never drop below 60fps.

The betas objective were to test the online infrastructure and only that.

Considering dimps size it's not surprising this issue somehow made it through QA, but it will the fixed. The only question is how fast.

I was playing last night and got some frame drops in the training stage, other than that one time I didn't really notice any more.

sephi22

People who are asking the OP to pass this to someone at Capcom who'd be listening, or doubting the legitimacy of the issue, Justin freakin' Wong mentioned it. If someone on Capcom's listening, chances are they know about this already.

Top Bottom