• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V PS4 has frame drops on some stages, issues with PS3 sticks

Gren

This game is turning into quite the spectacle.

It really doesn't matter if they do or don't fix it. If he can get a better experience on PC, he should pursue it.
Whether they fix it matters to the probable majority of tournament organizers. Not every group/community is gonna be able to afford/gather up capable PCs.

SnakeEyez

Is there a video that shows the frame drops or can anybody with the game already record one. I would like to see what we're dealing with.

Also, it's a shame about the ps3 latency issues. I feared this might be the case so I preordered the te2+ (as well as any future fighters that do not support legacy sticks)

I dread the boring, ugly training stage in online matches, which as in SF4, will be chosen by people who don't notice the difference in frames anyway. Give me a colourful stage with frame drops anyday. Most players won't notice this anyway.

I agree. I get tired of seeing people playing that same stage over & over during both games. It should be banned from tournaments altogether.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Mike Z on how Capcom implemented the LabZeroDriver.

Mike Zaimont ‏@MikeZSez 17m17 minutes ago
>:^( Why did SFV implement the LZ controller driver this way? There's _no reason_ to require a DS4. PS4 SG doesn't!

Mike Zaimont ‏@MikeZSez 8m8 minutes ago
@MikeZSez We provide instructions for how to implement it without lag, and advice for doing it without a DS4 required. I wrote 'em! :^\

Holy fuck SMH.

def sim

I played some matches at a local mom and pop earlier today. People sure did notice the framedrops, it's very noticeable when a stutter happens during footsies.

Duxxy3

Capcom's call, as it's a CPT event. If you recall they briefly switched back to 360 when the ps4 version of Ultra SF4 wasn't looking too hot.

That was more of a push by event directors than anything else. The PS4 version at the time was a downgrade from the 360 version in almost every way. It was later patched.

Shenmue

Banned
Any acknowledgment by anyone from Capcom yet about these issues? I'm hoping they'll get a patch out soon after release to fix them.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Can anyone tell me if the game has a dedicated spectating option(ala ggpo/Fightcade)?

Anne

Hi, I've been running 2 set ups with the game since Thursday. The frame drops seem to pop after a decent amount of time spent on the game. You can get it to happen more on certain stages though, and Bison kills the game p easily.

Also PS3 stick lag seems to vary from stick to stick. We went through multiple sticks at the arcade and it def is weird how different they can end up through the emulation.

Also there are a couple on GAF that help run large scale events like myself and Curly. I'm pretty sure he'll agree with me there is no place in logistics hell for an event to be run on PC with how we do things atm. The PS4 ver needs to be fixed.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
No. Closest is a replay theater where you can follow players and download their past matches.

:(

Thanks.

But you *CAN* sit in a lobby and watch others fight when you're not playing like in the previous game....*RIGHT*?

ezekial45

Banned
I'm playing on PC, and I'm getting CONSTANT and lengthy frame drops. Sometimes lasting for entire matches. I'm literally playing Street Fighter in slow-motion. Sometimes the matches run perfectly, but then another match loads up and it's a total shit show. >_<

I thought it was a hardware problem, but my settings should be fine to play it.

Anne

It's worth noting that SF4 had this problem, and a few other FGs that have come out this and last gen have this problem. What generally happens is players find the stages where this doesn't occur unless under extreme circumstances and just use those at events.

Rurunaki

I love how everyone acts as if they're going to attend EVO to compete.. You will fight in training room stage for 7 years and you will like it..

SarusGray

how bout we all first upload some clips instead of creating unnecessary posts that state a game is a mess already when it was just released and there hasn't been video clips of the stated matter so we can determine how much of a supposed "mess" this is.

I bet a patch would easily fix this all. And I bet some of the people posting were never going to buy the game anyways...

yup, experienced those frame drops a couple of times. nothing major. like 3-4 times a long 5h session but this needs to be fixed ASAP

edit: maybe we never played much with the chars that trigger them.

Fitts

So one stage drops frames. I, for one, am shocked that a Capcom fighter shipped with a stage that has frame drops.*

*I don't understand how this is a surprise to anyone.

***The Lab Zero driver implementation thing is kind of crappy though, but it also seems like it was added at the 11th hour. It'll probably be improved.

Anne

how bout we all first upload some clips instead of creating unnecessary posts that state a game is a mess already when it was just released and there hasn't been video clips of the stated matter so we can determine how much of a supposed "mess" this is.

I bet a patch would easily fix this all. And I bet some of the people posting were never going to buy the game anyways...

I would go to record it but the set up is at our arcade, not at my house where I am orz.

I can assure they are real but it's far from mess status, but def enough for tournament players to worry about picking the right stage if that helps out.

I'm willing to bet it just turns into SF4 where it's like "Please don't pick Volcano Stage" and people tend to pick the same couple of "safe" stages. If picking a diff stage can't solve the problem that is really not great though :T

Veggy

The framerate drops are quite noticeable, after playing it over the weekend it made me go for the PC version instead

Edit - the frame drops aren't on just one stage (though it does occur more often on it)

Swarna

They're not gonna switch to PC for CPT events as long as Sony keeps funding their prize money. They've got it covered for the next year.

Anne

They're not gonna switch to PC for CPT events as long as Sony keeps funding their prize money. They've got it covered for the next year.

Has less to do with Sony and a lot more to do with TOs can't afford PCs, and running a large scale event on PC is your worst nightmare.

T.O.P

Banned
I heard Wong talking about frame drops since the last beta, i guess they didn't fix shit :/

Oh well, went with pc anyhow

Swarna

Has less to do with Sony and a lot more to do with TOs can't afford PCs, and running a large scale event on PC is your worst nightmare.

They can easily do it for, as an example, Capcom Cup where it's only a 32-man invitational. But they won't.

And I'd argue it's more a case of TO's knowing very little about PC's more so than the difficulty. Valle's gonna run it for WNF's.

Training Room is reported to have frame-drops too. This isn't a backgrounds problem.

I'm optimistic that it'll be patched by the end of the week.

USFIV on PS4 ended up being the best console version after a week or two of patches anyway. Sad that games don't ship in a proper state anymore but this is what this setup has allowed them to do nowadays. There was crazy hyperbole on here though that the PS4 version was completely unfixable, unplayable and all that. Was nowhere near that bad.

Arion

oh yeah, Capcom ...

USFIV on PS4 ended up being the best console version after a week or two of patches anyway. Sad that games don't ship in a proper state anymore but this is what this setup has allowed them to do nowadays. There was crazy hyperbole on here though that the PS4 version was completely unfixable, unplayable and all that. Was nowhere near that bad.

Wasn't a week or two, more like months before that port was halfway respectable.

Anne

They can easily do it for, as an example, Capcom Cup where it's only a 32-man invitational. But they won't.

And I'd argue it's more a case of TO's knowing very little about PC's more so than the difficulty. Valle's gonna run it for WNF's.

Trust me, I've been around and TOs aren't dumb like that (we tend to be dumb in other ways). The money you need to get the set ups that all run the game identically is too much. The time to get everybody to sit down and plug in and configure their stick is too much, especially when you know driver issues will happen. The down time to troubleshoot anything or replace broken equipment is also much higher. For these brackets with hundreds of people over a couple days, it can't happen atm.

Valle runs super small scale events and even they have trouble with this shit and get made fun of all the time. This Wednesday will b einteresting since it's the first large scale one he's doing.

For a 32 man bracket like CapCup yeah it could be pulled off, but then you'd be running finals on a different version than what was played the entire tour which is kinda sketch.

GeeTeeCee

As a purely casual player who isn't particularly sensitive to frame drops as it is, do I even have any reason to worry? I have no deep knowledge of frame data to screw up, and I'm not likely to be winning many matches anyway... and at least now I have an excuse when I lose (it was the framerate, I swear!)

Neoxon

I don't doubt that Capcom will get right on fixing the framerate issues for the PS4. My main concern is if Capcom will call up Mike Z to sort out the Lab Zero Driver issues (namely the lag, but I hope they sort out the DS4-reqirement issue).

Boke1879

People literally said it would take a year to fix. GAF hyperbole can be a bit much.

That said This issue does need to be fixed because something like this happening in a tournament just can't happen.

But reading some of these posts you'd think this shit is happening for the duration of the match.

oh yeah, Capcom ...

Wasn't a week or two, more like months before that port was halfway respectable.

It really wasn't. June 11th, patch 1.03 iirc had it within .2ms frame lag than the 360 version which was the tournament standard version. This was the biggest issue with the game when it launched.

Swarna

Trust me, I've been around and TOs aren't dumb like that (we tend to be dumb in other ways). The money you need to get the set ups that all run the game identically is too much. The time to get everybody to sit down and plug in and configure their stick is too much, especially when you know driver issues will happen. The down time to troubleshoot anything or replace broken equipment is also much higher. For these brackets with hundreds of people over a couple days, it can't happen atm.

Valle runs super small scale events and even they have trouble with this shit and get made fun of all the time. This Wednesday will b einteresting since it's the first large scale one he's doing.

For a 32 man bracket like CapCup yeah it could be pulled off, but then you'd be running finals on a different version than what was played the entire tour which is kinda sketch.

Costs issues aside, the driver issues in Valle's SF4 events were mainly a result of trying to use PS3 sticks which aren't plug-n-play like xbox ones are. That's pretty much all it came down to. If they had banned that sub-set of sticks it would have ran as smoothly as when on 360. He obviously learned, though, as he's restricted to xbox controllers for SF5 until dinput support drops. There's a lot of small form factor PC's so replacements can be made easy, too.

Cost is really the limiting factor but I'd argue it's worth it for consistent performance and faster loading times. You can get far lower input lag set up on both SF4 and SF5 then you can on PS4. Obviously, it's the TO's decision but if it were up to me I'd prioritize quality of experience over all.

Zemm

what a shower of shit.

Glad I didn't pick this up now, I'm not spending loads of money on new sticks every generation when there's no problem with the one I have. Get it working properly ffs.

Top Bottom