• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - McConaughey/Harrelson crime series - S2 starts June 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can he be the Yellow King when none of the victims or the guy being questioned for double homicide recognize him? He was caught off guard by that guy.

Helmholtz

What an episode. This show is on another level.
By the way, does anyone know what building Cohle was exploring at the end?
They think he is the killer, yes. He obviously isn't though. My opinion is he has been working the case by himself since 2002.
My thoughts exactly.

So, wait. He's just investigating/examining the devil's nets, right? Were we supposed to take anything else from that scene?
There was paintings on the wall and chole was in the middle.

Maybe the yellow king knows chole now and sees him as a worthy adversary.

My thoughts exactly.
That was the school Reggie ledoux went to.

They think he is the killer, yes. He obviously isn't though. My opinion is he has been working the case by himself since 2002.
Correct. He probably has fuckload of evidence and stuff in his storage, which is why he doesn't want the new cops near it. Probably also why he keeps saying "Is that all you got?"

FTF

The school? He's been there before, when talking to that guy mowing the lawn.

Also, I like that agree the part about Cohle investigating the case himself since 2002.

Protag

Banned
that would be legit

Agreed, now how could the yelpow king still be at large if it was ledoux?

What if there is a group that wants to pin Cohle as the murderer, as in, frame him? The two young detectives could be in on it, and in 2002, that convict that told cohle that the yellow king was still loose, wasnt supposed to tell him that, and as a result, he was told to kill himself?

Burt

So, wait. He's just investigating/examining the devil's nets, right? Were we supposed to take anything else from that scene?
Just that there had clearly been occult activity taking place at the school since it closed. Makes it pretty definitive that Marie Fontano was another one of these killings. Plus, it looked like five of them surrounding one, just to get that imagery back in again. I'd also say that you're supposed to understand that Rust continued to work the case, and that this is likely where he was from 2002-2010. I'm sure we'll hear a lot more about that soon.

I'm not gonna make any bets about a wealthy devil-worshipping cult (led by the governor of Texas' brother?), but the show hasn't done much to show that Rust is wrong very often when it comes to detective work.

Jayhawk

The present-day detectives pointed out that the governor's cousin or whatever had died in 2010 and that Cohle might have been behind that.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The present-day detectives pointed out that the governor's cousin or whatever had died in 2010 and that Cohle might have been behind that.

Aint that
Reverend Tuttle? He was my one and only suspect. Anyway this is obviously a fucked up dark cult

Plasmid

Yes. It's very interesting the concept the company men are taking to try to frame Cole. I really think he's been working for the last few years.

potential spoilers, just a theory

i really think this is all some kind of huge political / rich person cult. They've mentioned the rich and higher ups a lot and all these buildings are in the tuttle name.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I'm not gonna make any bets about a wealthy devil-worshipping cult (led by the governor of Texas' brother?), but the show hasn't done much to show that Rust is wrong very often when it comes to detective work.
But that's the whole line that the new detectives are following: he did so well because he knew more about it than he was letting on. He wasn't wrong because he knew what was right.

ZQQLANDER

With that last last shot. Was the audience supposed to get the impression that that the killer was watching him examine the nets?

Burt

Ah thanks, his name slipped my mind and I missed the connection.
But that's the whole line that the new detectives are following: he did so well because he knew more about it than he was letting on. He wasn't wrong because he knew what was right.
It's also pretty obvious that the new detectives aren't working with the whole picture and that Rust isn't the killer. They're assuming it's him given how well he worked the case, but the show has done a lot to prove that Rust is just a really good detective that hasn't been manufacturing leads, even if he doesn't divulge how he got his information.

Helmholtz

The school they went to in episode 3
Ah okay, thanks. I thought it looked like a school but I'd just forgotten about it. So he already knew what was inside it I guess, but he was just going back to study the stick things? I guess he was just retracing his steps and looking for clues.
With that last last shot. Was the audience supposed to get the impression that that the killer was watching him examine the nets?
I don't think so.

Protag

Banned

I felt like, what with the trees painted on the walls surrounding cohle- i took from that, that he has just traveled further into the woods- deeper into the mystery.

With the weird stuff with Marty's kids, and the school, it sort of feels like maybe they are using the school to groom future cultists/sacrifices and Marty's daughter is one of the latter.

ZQQLANDER

I felt like, what with the trees painted on the walls surrounding cohle- i took from that, that he has just traveled further into the woods- deeper into the mystery.

Ok, I can buy into that.

This show is the shit. Hoping HBO does the sensible thing and renews it.

Amir0x

Banned
Cohle working the case since 2002, but in that time he probably has now committed plenty of new legit crimes akin to what Martin did when he executed the dude in cold blood in pursuit of this justice. Dude's mental state suggests he has corrupted himself the final length of the way trying to find this guy. Maybe the Yellow King won.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Anyone else notice that Ledoux didn't have a spiral tattoo on his back?
Yep. I was looking for something to connect him to the symbols we've already seen and didn't see anything. Perhaps someone can screencap the front and back shots of him, for examination.

Edit: Promo for next week. Oh my.

This is just my personal theory on how everything will turn out. I think the killer should be some random guy, maybe a minor person they interviewed on unrelated shit in the first or second episode. I think that would fit so well with Chole's world view, having him chase an asshole he's pegged for a killer for 10 years when really it's just some guy.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Yep. I was looking for something to connect him to the symbols we've already seen and didn't see anything. Perhaps someone can screencap the front and back shots of him, for examination.
I made sure to check for it on his back because his former cell mate threw out that fact randomly in the last episode.

I was bitching about that interview where charlie (his old cellmate) gave the detectives all that info. I think he was just feeding them what they wanted to hear. Perhaps the details of the case had reached the press

potam

Banned

That's my thinking. My theory:

We know Marty's marriage is over, and we know things were "good" for a few years, which is how long Rust was with his girlfriend. Marty cheats again with Rust's girl, that kills his marriage and their partnership. Rust leaves the force, but has become obsessed with the Yellow King and is convinced there is some conspiracy behind it. Now he's killing those involved (they mentioned Buddy someone dying in 2010 after Rust shows up). Either he's being set up for this new murder (and they photoshopped those pics and lied about the witnesses), or he heard rumors that there was a girl from that area who had gone missing, and was seen investigating.

I will say though that this episode had the least fulfilling ending so far, but then again this is one of those shows that I wouldn't mind watching for hours on end.

It looked like he had a spiral brand.

neoism

Man I don't think I have ever resonated and totally connected with a character in fiction before Cohle.... Matthew better win every fucking award possible for this GODDAMN....

The thing I saw of imprtance with the last shot were the black stars surrounding Rust on the foreground wall and broken window. The stars that were in the journal where we first hear about the yellow king and that were mentioned by ledoux.

Who is the girl that the 2012 detectives mentioned, rian olivea?

neoism

since he did go back to that school. seems now plausible it may be that lawn mower guy too

yeah what im thinking hope its not that easy though

Also Marty damn I don't know what I would have done if my daughter was fucking two adults what is she like 16 or something... she needed three slaps.. wtf
(**) Again, Matthew McConaughey is getting the bulk of the claim and will likely win the bulk of the awards (especially if the two leading men compete in the same category), but Woody Harrelson has been extraordinary in his own right, just in a less flashy (and, relative to prior roles, less surprising) way. Just look at the expression on his face as Hart emerges from the house ready to kill Ledoux. That is a man who has just witnessed the absolute worst of humanity, and who is now being governed by a single, unshakable directive: to kill the sonuvabitch responsible. Good ol' boy Marty has been sent to the showers in that moment, replaced by something hollow and angry and unshakable.
Marty was totally redeemed in that scene he deserved a slower death but still Woody has been amazing also..

Amir0x

Banned
Man I don't think I have ever resonated and totally connected with a character in fiction before Cohle.... Matthew better win every fucking award possible for this GODDAMN....

Can Matthew be any more on fire? Mud, Dallas Buyers Club, True Detective. Guy is on a mission to become one of the all-time greats.

Protag

Banned
The thing I saw of imprtance with the last shot were the black stars surrounding Rust on the foreground wall and broken window. The stars that were in the journal where we first hear about the yellow king and that were mentioned by ledoux.

Who is the girl that the 2012 detectives mentioned, rian olivea?

Wasnt rianne olivier the stripper with the US flag outfit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom