• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS3 Exclusive Revealed Next Week On GTTV (Superbot's PS All-Stars)

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
It's going to suck hearing people bitch because 'obscure character X' isn't in the game.

Not everyone is going to get their wish, hopefully we just get a nice eclectic mix.

so many ppl are in for some major disappointment when 0 3rd party characters are announced

My expectations for 3rd party characters is low but if it were just a couple, Crash and Spyro would make me happy despite characters like Snake should be in as well. But hey, you never know.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I've mentioned this before, I'm sure, but one of the biggest strengths, I believe, that PlayStation has, is that it DOESN'T have, or need, a single series that defines it.

Sure, franchisess like God of War and Uncharted may not sell 11 million units, but all the major PS franchises have their fans. We don't all like the same franchises, and thank god that Sony, out of the three console manufacturers, realize this. There is so much variety in terms of software from the 15+ year history of the PS brand. From RPGs to Action games, to platformers and puzzle games.

Sure, not everybody loves Kratos, or Drake, or Parappa, or Twisted Metal, or LittleBigPlanet, or Dark Cloud, or Folklore, or Legend of Lagaia, or Alundra, or Warhawk, or Killzone, or Gran Turismo, or Ratchet and Clank (man, I could go on, actually). But those franchises DO have their fans, and that's what matters.

If this game (if it is indeed, the Sony SSB game), has characters from any of those series, the fans will be pleased. I didn't know all of the characters in Smash Bros Melee when I played it, but it didn't matter, because it had characters from franchises I DID know, and it was coupled with excellent pick up and play gameplay.

Just because PlayStation franchises may not have the same broad recognition as a Mario or Halo, doesn't mean that there aren't huge fans of those.

To a PlayStation fan, characters like Sackboy, Sweet tooth, and Ratchet ARE iconic. They ARE PlayStation, and a game featuring all of them, duking it out with, ideally, the same pick up and play fun as SSB or Powerstone (I just bought Powerstone collection on my Vita and it's really, really FUN! I had never played the games until today), sounds fricking AWESOME.

EDIT: While 3rd parties helped Sony get a foothold in the gaming industry, they have more than enough classic, iconic characters of their own to fill a fighting game. No need to try and tie up a new franchise with licensing deals and split profits when it's not necessary. Maybe for some expansion packs additional character DLC. But not the core game release.

Endo Punk

so many ppl are in for some major disappointment when 0 3rd party characters are announced

We don't really expect all the 3rd party requests to come true, just so damn excited that we're randomly throwing names and imagining bouts in our head :p
lol hell no

It can happen.

3267629414_71ec6126b0_z.jpg

3267628906_e8c0147b12_z.jpg

jett

D-Member
It's going to suck hearing people bitch because 'obscure character X' isn't in the game.

Not everyone is going to get their wish, hopefully we just get a nice eclectic mix.

I actually think we'll see trolls saying "who are those? lol just a bunch of nobodies". Hell, it's already happening. :p

i-Lo

You sound like a puss.

Sorry, but it's the truth.

It's a SONY smash brothers styled game...not every developer in the world smash game.

Pretty much this. There is a great roster of characters to begin with. That said, I am certain we'll see some third party characters. If third party games that have no connection to a franchise can acquire them for game (i.e. Soulcalibur, MK etc) then Sony can definitely get them for games which it had hosted on its platform.

I am just wondering which third party characters would we want to see. My guesses (at least we may see one or more from these franchises):

1. DMC
3. Ass Creed
4. Batman
5. MGS
6. FF
7. DW

I wonder how they'll handle Sackboy proportion, the real proportion of sackboy can fit on your palm. I wonder if they'll have Sackboy controlling a bigger Sackbot.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Aside of Crash, Spyro and Snake ( who were the PSX most famous characters )I don't care much about 3rd party characters.

I am worried about the roster First party wise, because if it has more PS3 era charachters than PSX/PS2, and lack some japanese charachters like Kuro or Toro or have something like Fat Princess but not older Sony better characters like Rynn or Jennifer Tate then it will sukcs.

If I were superbot I would just wanna keep adding to the game. There is so much opportunity to add unique and varied content in this game like different costumes from different eras.

Raonak

Banned
Pretty much this. There is a great roster of characters to begin with. That said, I am certain we'll see some third party characters. If third party games that have no connection to a franchise can acquire them for game (i.e. Soulcalibur, MK etc) then Sony can definitely get them for games which it had hosted on its platform.

I am just wondering which third party characters would we want to see. My guesses (at least we may see one or more from these franchises):

1. DMC
3. Ass Creed
4. Batman
5. MGS
6. FF

thoes bloded are definetly possible.

Im sure we'll be seeing *some* capcom characters due to the fact theres sony characters in SFxT. so Dante is entirely possible. Most likely out of all capcom characters i'd say. since dmc debuted on PS.

and Kojima was the one who wanted Snake in smash bros. (he asked for snake to be in melee, but it was too late in development, so snake was put in brawl)
so it's entirely possible that kojima would let snake be in this.

I highly dout batman would be in. since they'd have to licence the batman rights from DC. it's way too much effort compared to getting any other character.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
I wonder how they'll handle Sackboy proportion, the real proportion of sackboy can fit on your palm. I wonder if they'll have Sackboy controlling a bigger Sackbot.

Just like Smash Bros did, I guess. Pikachu is huge in comparasion of "human" characters, for example.

SmithnCo

dallow_bg

nods at old men
You sound like a puss.

Sorry, but it's the truth.

It's a SONY smash brothers styled game...not every developer in the world smash game.
And that's why I'm not terribly interested.

Puss? lol

I'm still anxious to see how it plays which is why I'm waiting for the reveal.

SykoTech

Not sure how costly third party characters would be, but I imagine it could get pretty expensive...which is why I wouldn't count on any being in the game.

Sony constantly does the moneyhat routine to get their characters in 3rd party fighting games (Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter x Tekken). I doubt they'd have a problem doing so to get 3rd party characters into their game.

If this game doesn't have any 3rd party characters at all, then they're just idiots.

SmithnCo

Sackboy is actually one of the ones I'm more curious about. He'll probably have the item generator/paint gun, but I wonder how they will utilize the popit.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Sony constantly does the moneyhat routine to get their characters in 3rd party fighting games (Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter x Tekken). I doubt they'd have a problem doing so to get 3rd party characters into their game.

If this game doesn't have any 3rd party characters at all, then they're just idiots.
Didn't the MK devs say they tried to get MS to allow the use of a character but it didn't happen?
I'm hoping for the Toro cats.

Loudninja

Still dont get your hopes up.

The devs have to want to add them as well.

Top Bottom