• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 DirectX11 Tessellation Pack/High Res Texture Pack [Update: released]

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Zefah said:
No, it looks good when done well.

Here is an example from the original Crysis:
But Fallout 3 had pretty rocks and it's DX9...

Ah so they are actually using pom too... that's something at least.
Still don't get why they didn't just do pom for the walls, and not at release.

Ahwell, potential new target audience (console buyers) got their lulz with their release comparisons, looking forward to what the community does with the editor in a few months to shit on those comparisons from great height.

That reflection shader is pretty neat btw, as long as they don't overuse it to make everything look like shiney plastic.

Where's the bokeh dof they tech demod a while ago btw.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Stallion Free said:
No one ever seems to have a link to the mod.

There was a link to it in the OP of the Crysis mods thread but the link is dead now. I might still have the file on my PC somewhere, I'll check when I get home.

Btw will there be proper msaa in he dx11 build? I vaguely remember something about deferred rendering + msaa being possible in dx11 without the horrible performance inpact you get in dx9, or was that just a dream.

Wow at the memory usage because the game is multiplat One thing the increase in res and buffering should increase memory use. If I'm not mistaken deferred engines use 4 render targets that eat up memory. And after digital foundry tech intervief i know crytek isn't afraid of runnig making a new rendertarget or just run a extra pass :).

Novid

Banned
Deadbeat said:
Because you only need 64 bit if your memory usage goes over 3.2gb. Crysis 2 was around half a gigabyte cause it was a console port.

What kinda...half baked move was that?

Im saying because Portal 2 was ungodly with its PC version and damn good on PS3.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
low-G said:
No, Crysis had parallax occlusion mapping, and tessellation only for water. This has tessellation on other geometry. The result is similar but not the same.

(personally I was fine with POM)
To be fine with the POM in Crysis is to be fine with no anisotropic filtering. :(

It wasn't okay. :(

It was never okay. D':

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
New changes look nice, although not too drastic. I wish I had a gaming PC so I could replay this once the update is out. One of my favorite shooters of the generation.

pestul

You kind of have to laugh at the brick one though.. its 2011, not 1312. Except for a little definition brick work is generally flat and uninteresting (ie first photo). Tessellation is a wonderful tool when implemented correctly, butt there are times when it simply isn't needed and actually takes away from the look. Well, maybe a little to show the definition between the brick and mortar. No need to deform the brick itself.

Dacon

Banned
DSN2K said:
nice...shame the game is still crap.

DX11 wont change that.

Crysis 2 isn't remotely crap. It's just nowhere near as good a game as the original and Warhead imo. In fact, for how much I enjoyed the game, it's not half as good as the original. I can't wait to see what modders come up with.

The only thing keeping me from doing another play-through is the ridiculous inability to skip tutorials.

Kuga

Too little, too late. This is just another insult if you look at it from a PC gamer's perspective.

Maybe when I can find it for <$5.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
RoboPlato said:
New changes look nice, although not too drastic. I wish I had a gaming PC so I could replay this once the update is out. One of my favorite shooters of the generation.
So awesome to hear that. I feel less crazy when someone else shares such an unpopular opinion with me.

Dacon said:
Crysis 2 isn't remotely crap. It's just nowhere near as good a game as the original and Warhead imo. In fact, for how much I enjoyed the game, it's not half as good as the original. I can't wait to see what modders come up with.

The only thing keeping me from doing another play-through is the ridiculous inability to skip tutorials.
I actually liked Crysis 2 more than the original, but it's mostly because of the streamlining to the nanosuit (though strength and speed could have been more powerful)

BlackDove said:
Really?

Really?

Please, in detail, describe exactly what you refer to as "cool" in that image.

It better not be the polygon re-distribution which makes the bricks re-align and make it appear as if they've been altered in any significant manner.

Because that is not cool. Not cool at all my good friend. Not cool at all.
Wat

Dacon

Banned
thetrin said:
So awesome to hear that. I feel less crazy when someone else shares such an unpopular opinion with me.

I actually liked Crysis 2 more than the original, but it's mostly because of the streamlining to the nanosuit (though strength and speed could have been more powerful)

I loved all of the crazy shit you could do in Crysis with the nanosuit though. The streamlining of the suit limits a lot of your options.

I loved how in the original game YOU are the weapon. In Crysis 2 you must have a gun equipped all time, there's no decision there.

gatti-man

I got to the helicopter fight and just put this game down. Running this game at 2560x1600 was just weird with all the lower res textures. It was destracting to the point of delaying my first playthrough in hopes of a mod or the mythic dx11 patch. Very pleased crytek finally got around to doing right by pc gamers.

Nice that they are bothering to release this stuff but they need to get this shit out at launch. Not going to get a hell of a lot more sales releasing a high-res pack so late after release. Game has already been discounted enough that the reward from all the work isn't really there. Next time have the game 100% ready for launch and you will create a lot more buzz and a lot more full price sales.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Christ...the first couple of pages in this thread. What happened?

Anyway, looks good. Lots of stuff that should have been there day one (*cough* high res texutres *cough*), but I'm happy to finally get it. Tessellation looks good too.

I do wonder how well my GTX 570 will hold up though. Im assuming all these additional effects are going to take a beating to performance. Crysis 2 as is performs extremely well, but I hope with all this stuff enabled I can still hit a stable 30fps.

Mr. Snrub said:
LOOK AT THE BRICKS

crysis2building7hp0.jpg
I don't see a goddamn difference.

are you guys just fucking with us? I looked at every set of pictures and the difference is somewhere between negligible and completely undetectable.

Peterthumpa

Dreams-Visions said:

are you guys just fucking with us? I looked at every set of pictures and the difference is somewhere between negligible and completely undetectable.
Dreams-Visions
(Today, 12:34 AM)

Dreams-Visions said:

You don't see it? What?

Blizzard

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:

The bricks are pushed out from the wall varying distances on the right picture. If you look at the right side of the window where the edges of the bricks are, it should be visible. The GIFs (last page?) should make it even easier to tell the differences.

Dreams-Visions said:

Look around the window. They're like...coming outta the wall!

it__s_like_i_can_touch_you_by_germin5-d3ciu4n.gif

Kambing

Dreams-Visions said:

I think with tessellation the bricks just look more "brickey". Look at the depth it's creating versus the non tessellated bricks. Anything with more depth and we probably would not be talking about bricks. Bricks man, they actually looks like bricks.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Dreams-Visions said:

ufnxoqgwhubz.jpg

Tessellation uses a hardware shader to create the illusion of extra polygons without having to literally calculate and render the polygons. For example, it can be used to smooth a rounded surface, like a character's head, adding extra smoothness and detail to the curve.

In this example, it is used to add a polygonal depth effect to the bricks. Look at the edges. Normally, the bricks are nothing more than flat 2D texture painted onto a single flat polygonal plane. The wall is flat. With tessellation, the bricks 'jot out' slightly with 3D depth, as if they were modelled.

I think the major issue with selling tessellation to most gamers is that the effect is never going to be dramatic in screens, but it just adds massive amounts of depth to the scene overall. For me personally, playing games with tessellation I don't think "whoah look at dem bumps", it's more like "this scene feels complete".

Ah! I see it now, guys. Thanks for circling that, EatChildren, or I probably never would have noticed it. I guess I was looking for a different kind of visual enhancement. Surely we weren't waiting all this time for better shaped bricks, so I hope we'll see more soon.

and hey...are the $10 DLC packs worth buying? I'm hearing that people aren't going for them?

EatChildren

Dreams-Visions said:
Ah! I see it now, guys. Thanks for circling that, EatChildren, or I probably never would have noticed it. I guess I was looking for a different kind of visual enhancement.

As jim-jam bongs said, tessellation is one of those things you'll notice more as you're actually playing. It looks best in real time as opposed to still images.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
A game really needs to be designed with tessellation for it to really have a massive effect. When added as a bonus you are just going to get stuff like bricks popping out and other simpler scenarios. Would take too much time to rebuild stuff to work with tessellation (displacement mapping in real-time). I like the other stuff, like the screen based reflection and the improved screen space ambient occlusion. I never got a chance to finish Crysis 2 because I've been to busy but I genuinely enjoyed it so I look forward to finishing it with this add-on pack.

Just like with all new technology, someone has to come forward and do it right before others catch on. Either you lead the pack or you let others innovate for you. Displacement (tessellation) implemented right will blow you away. But you cynics will have to wait until someone puts out a game that utilizes it well before you believe in these new technologies.

Actually Epic's The Samaritan used it really well. Shows an insane amount of detail with morphing (well, morphing in the sense that they blend between two displacement maps from him being human to him showing his metal appearance). Also when he hits the ground is tessellation/displacement I believe as well.

Anyway... such useless anger in this thread.

dx11_tessellation2a_off.jpg

dx11_tessellation2a_on.jpg

I think tessellation on bricked surfaces needs to be more subtle in not only Crysis 2, but all games that use it - if real life bricks were that uneven and sticking out, buildings would probably fall down.

Apart from the perfectly straight corners of the wall where there is obvious improvement, I prefer it off in this particular comparison.

When you add up all the things this patch brings, it's like a night and day difference imo. Such a big improvement all round.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dreams-Visions said:
DLC: buy or no buy?

anyone?
Hell no. Almost all the maps appear to be areas shameless ripped from singleplayer levels with almost no tweaks and maybe a change of the time of day.

Also, I expect the community to die at any second.

Stallion Free said:
Hell no. Almost all the maps appear to be areas shameless ripped from singleplayer levels with almost no tweaks and maybe a change of the time of day.

Also, I expect the community to die at any second.
oh damn. understood.

Sounds like Unreal Tournament 3. :-(

Luigiv

Wow, the tessellation looks great. None of that gimmicky "exaggerated, artistically nonsensical, displacement maps everywhere!!!!!11!" that all the first gen tessellation stuff was showing. This is very subtle, and all the better for it.

I for one cannot wait for this pack.

Wonder how is going to affect my nvidia surround performance.

I still play the MP to this day.

If anyone is down with this hit me up.

Norml

I NEED SCISSORS said:
if real life bricks were that uneven and sticking out, buildings would probably fall down.
I agree. Nobody would want to see that on a brick building,needs toned down a lot!

Raistlin

Dreams-Visions said:

dx11_tessellation2r721.gif

weed ... share it

Raistlin

EatChildren said:
[imghttp://www.abload.de/img/ufnxoqgwhubz.jpg[/img]

Tessellation uses a hardware shader to create the illusion of extra polygons without having to literally calculate and render the polygons. For example, it can be used to smooth a rounded surface, like a character's head, adding extra smoothness and detail to the curve.

In this example, it is used to add a polygonal depth effect to the bricks. Look at the edges. Normally, the bricks are nothing more than flat 2D texture painted onto a single flat polygonal plane. The wall is flat. With tessellation, the bricks 'jot out' slightly with 3D depth, as if they were modelled.
That's not how tessellation works.

It's actual geometry.

Are you thinking of Parallax Occlusion Mapping (also used in this engine)?

dx11_pom2i7e0.gif

Top Bottom