• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crysis 2 DirectX11 Tessellation Pack/High Res Texture Pack [Update: released]

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
BlackDove said:
Really?

Really?

Please, in detail, describe exactly what you refer to as "cool" in that image.

It better not be the polygon re-distribution which makes the bricks re-align and make it appear as if they've been altered in any significant manner.

Because that is not cool. Not cool at all my good friend. Not cool at all.
The graphics look better. I consider that cool.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
BlackDove said:
Really?

Really?

It better not be the polygon re-distribution which makes the bricks re-align and make it appear as if they've been altered in any significant manner.

it's fucking cool, because bricks have volume now. end of story. and I don't care about polygon redistribution or any other tricks, whatever makes it look better is fine by me.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
TouchMyBox said:
Hey guys, remember when we cared about Crysis?

Those were the days, huh.
I thought Crysis 2 was fucking awesome. I'm a little surprised I'm alone in this.

BlackDove

Banned
What is it that looks better?

I have that image projected on a 100" screen in front of me right now.

What looks better? The way the bricks shift positions so they... look exactly the same? Is it the sense of depth they're giving you when you compare them to the previous image?

I am befuddled.

sp3000

BlackDove said:
Really?

Really?

You know it's even worse when you consider this exact effect was in Crysis 1.

Also release Blackwater Operations already.

TouchMyBox said:
Hey guys, remember when we cared about Crysis?

Those were the days, huh.

Yeah, before it became a shitty console port.

neoism

OK WTF I'm I fucked because I have the steam version I really wanted to play this after a major patch.

thetrin

RedSwirl said:
So is this gonna have full graphics options now, or will it be an altogether package?
I don't think anyone actually knows. I sure would like full graphical options.

BlackDove said:
What is it that looks better?

I have that image projected on a 100" screen in front of me right now.

What looks better? The way the bricks shift positions so they... look exactly the same? Is it the sense of depth they're giving you when you compare them to the previous image?

I am befuddled.

Did you look at the edge of the bricks as they reach the window? I get that Crysis 2 raped your mother or some such thing (it has to be something horrific, because there's no way just playing Crysis 2 made you such a rotten person to talk to on the subject), but you have to understand that some people see the difference, and you might 1) have defective eyes or 2) your hatred for Crysis 2 blinds you to any sizable improvement, graphical or otherwise.

my beautiful death machine no longer cares for this game, it's all about BF3. Why wasn't this stuff at launch makes my head spin.

The M.O.B

I'm just glad I put-off buying this game despite really wanting to play it because I wanted my first playthrough to be with DX11.

It's still $40 on Amazon so I guess I'm going with that.(Since it ain't on steam etc etc)

thetrin

Technosteve said:
my beautiful death machine no longer cares for this game, it's all about BF3. Why wasn't this stuff at launch makes my head spin.
Man, have we become like console gamers now? We seriously lose interest in game after a few scant months pass? I thought we had better attention spans than that.

sp3000 said:
Wow, talk about gross hyperbole. Crysis 2 may be more linear, but the game was hardly a console port.

Alxjn

thetrin said:
I thought Crysis 2 was fucking awesome. I'm a little surprised I'm alone in this.

You're not alone. It's not as good as the original's first half (which never seems gets old, ever), and I think they took a few missteps with the Nanosuit 2, but I still really enjoyed it.

DX11 looks awesome and I can't wait for the editor and SDK.

thetrin

Alxjn said:
You're not alone. It's not as good as the original's first half (which never seems gets old, ever), and I think they took a few missteps with the Nanosuit 2, but I still really enjoyed it.

DX11 looks awesome and I can't wait for the editor and SDK.
I actually think the nanosuit 2 is vastly improved over the first one. There should have been regular sprint and suit sprint, and strength should have been more powerful, but it's overall a better designed mechanic than the first nanosuit.

DennisK4 said:
Why the fucking hell are they releasing high res textures now instead of having them as an option at release?

Now I had to play through with inferior textures.

Sick and tired of this shit. The way things are going I have to shelve most new games for 6 months before I can play them.

Unless you are really big on getting into the MP component day one seems like you should always wait 6 months for buying PC games. They drop in price faster, have no appreciable resale value and often massively improve with either official or mod patches. Buying single player PC games day one just seems crazy these days.

thetrin said:
Man, have we become like console gamers now? We seriously lose interest in game after a few scant months pass? I thought we had better attention spans than that.

Yay, let's say something completely retarded to make ourselves feel better ^_^
dumbass

thetrin said:

I can see how one would really enjoy it. Perhaps I'm just becoming a cynical asshole.

sp3000 said:

I wouldn't put the sole blame on them wanting to exploit the lucrative xbox live crowd, it was just completely mediocre if you cared to look past the visual flair. It wasn't even as good as the average call of duty game.

Dibbz

BlackDove said:
Really?

Really?

What do you mean makes the bricks re-align? It's adds a shit tons of polygons to the wall and makes the bricks pop out so it doesn't look like a flat polygon with a texture on it.

BlackDove said:
No, no, I was really gunning for the all inclusive commentary.

My main point was that the paper-as-thin filter pack they included here (tessellation lol, get the filter to do your work for you, couldn't actually include high-poly models with your game because it has to be optimized for consoles first) won't make the game look any better, it'll just do what the CSI Miami filter does on shots of real life. Make it look YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

That's OT.

Stop embarrassing yourself. Its painful to watch.

thetrin

TouchMyBox said:
I can see how one would really enjoy it. Perhaps I'm just becoming a cynical asshole.

Wait, what? It was VASTLY superior to any COD game I've ever played.

BIONIC-ARRRMMM!! said:
Yay, let's say something completely retarded to make ourselves feel better ^_^
dumbass

Wow, a bit touchy there. I'm a console gamer too. I find I have a much lower attention span for games on consoles than I did when I was an exclusive PC gamer. Now I play both again, and I still find myself having a low attention span, as a function of playing too many games each month.

Try your very best to not make shit personal. It makes you look juvenile.

sp3000

thetrin said:

Wow, talk about gross hyperbole. Crysis 2 may be more linear, but the game was hardly a console port.
Ummm, did you even play the first game? Crytek themselves said in 2008 that Crysis could not be done on consoles without serious compromises to the gameplay, and lo and behold next year they're making Crysis 2 multiplatform.

It wasn't a bad game but it's ignorant to say that vast sacrifices weren't made to cater to the xbox and ps3

thetrin said:
Wait, what? It was VASTLY superior to any COD game I've ever played.

I agree on that, but it wanted to be one so badly. It was kind of sad how it aspired to be something worse than it's predecessor was.

low-G

sp3000 said:
You know it's even worse when you consider this exact effect was in Crysis 1.

No, Crysis had parallax occlusion mapping, and tessellation only for water. This has tessellation on other geometry. The result is similar but not the same.

(personally I was fine with POM)

Is this it?
They couldn't just have used POM for this like every other game including crysis 1?
We had to look at 2004 flat walls and surfaces to get the same effect (probably at a much higher framerate cost) months later?

Going out of their way for 'equality' at release, there was absolutely no excuse for not having better textures for the pc version at release.

No map tools, and this is supposed to make amends?
Puhleaaaase.

Pom in crysis
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr173/pyrofireo/PomTest2.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/sp-pom-crysis5de2s.jpg

Anyone remember this?
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAoI4J87HEBHaS-nqYumYxF9rH4GS7nDESLs117152a45Ynsuh&t=1
From early cryengine 3 tech demos, ironically.

Stalker complete has walls like in that crysis 2 wall screenshot, also with pom.

What the hell is the point of tesselation over pom textures if you are going to be using it for big flat surfaces like walls instead of super detailed models or terrain or smooth curves.

Using tesselation is twice as ironic when on average you get about half as many (or less) polys per frame in crysis 2 than in crysis 1 , because crysis 1 had much more geometry going on onscreen at once.

This is in the same league of stupid as that heaven benchmark pretending stair steps are just a flat slope without tesselation.

Crytek really are the masters of half assing it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
TheFightingFish said:
Unless you are really big on getting into the MP component day one seems like you should always wait 6 months for buying PC games. They drop in price faster, have no appreciable resale value and often massively improve with either official or mod patches. Buying single player PC games day one just seems crazy these days.

QFT

thetrin

sp3000 said:
I agree on that, but it wanted to be one so badly. It was kind of sad how it aspired to be something worse than it's predecessor was.
It wanted to be one, and it outclassed it, in single player, anyway. I have no problem with that.

Sem

Neo Member
DennisK4 said:
Why the fucking hell are they releasing high res textures now instead of having them as an option at release?

Sick and tired of this shit. The way things are going I have to shelve most new games for 6 months before I can play them.

i started doing this a couple of years ago tbh i very rarely play a newly released game as much as i would like to

games like Fallout NV, Crysis 2 and Shogun 2 re-enforce my philosophy

i only have time to play through games once so i wait till all the DLC/features are out and bugs are fixed

will make an exception for skyrim tho dont think i can sit on that one till the GOTY/community bugfix is out

Des0lar

will learn eventually
robotrock said:
Some pics of the building tessellation
crysis2building7hp0.jpg

pretty darn cool

Maybe my eyes fail me, but huh? These shots look preeeetty similar to me...

Raistlin

stuminus3 said:
Texture pack requires a 64-bit OS? That's interesting.
> 4GB of textures?

:eek:

DennisK4 said:

Companies should delay releasing titles for 6 months for features that likely < 5% can utilize? Sounds like a great business model.

Be happy they actually still give a shit about high-end graphics in this day and age.

kamspy

BlackDove said:
Does it...

Does it make the level design not mimic Call of Duty?

Does it put in better non-Marines related story?

Because it sure as shit doesn't look like it makes the game any better visually, outside of running a few cheap filters.

I'll pass.

Nice trolling. CoD level design. LOL. If you said MP I'd be with you.

But hey, you got the quotes you wanted when you made the post. Guess it's not a complete loss.

SneakyStephan said:
Is this it?
They couldn't just have used POM for this like every other game including crysis 1?
We had to look at 2004 flat walls and surfaces to get the same effect (probably at a much higher framerate cost) months later?

Going out of their way for 'equality' at release, there was absolutely no excuse for not having better textures for the pc version at release.

No map tools, and this is supposed to make amends?
Puhleaaaase.

Pom in crysis
http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr173/pyrofireo/PomTest2.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/sp-pom-crysis5de2s.jpg

Anyone remember this?
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAoI4J87HEBHaS-nqYumYxF9rH4GS7nDESLs117152a45Ynsuh&t=1
From early cryengine 3 tech demos, ironically.

Stalker complete has walls like in that crysis 2 wall screenshot, also with pom.

What the hell is the point of tesselation over pom textures if you are going to be using it for big flat surfaces like walls instead of super detailed models or terrain or smooth curves.

Using tesselation is twice as ironic when on average you get about half as many (or less) polys per frame in crysis 2 than in crysis 1 , because crysis 1 had much more geometry going on onscreen at once.

This is in the same league of stupid as that heaven benchmark pretending stair steps are just a flat slope without tesselation.

Crytek really are the masters of half assing it.

Map tools are coming. In fact the entire tools that were used to make them game are coming.

Alxjn

thetrin said:
I actually think the nanosuit 2 is vastly improved over the first one. There should have been regular sprint and suit sprint, and strength should have been more powerful, but it's overall a better designed mechanic than the first nanosuit.

I do like some of the changes to the Nanosuit, but there are a lot of subtle and not so subtle changes that frustrate me. Things like lack of super duper speed jumps or Power melee and throw requiring what feels like a 3 second charge up. It ruins the flow of combat a bit, something I never really had a problem with in the original.

Also, lemme attach a sniper scope to my shotgun, not because it's practical, but because I want to.

Dennis

Banned
Sem said:
i started doing this a couple of years ago tbh i very rarely play a newly released game as much as i would like to

games like Fallout NV, Crysis 2 and Shogun 2 re-enforce my philosophy

i only have time to play through games once so i wait till all the DLC/features are out and bugs are fixed

will make an exception for skyrim tho dont think i can sit on that one till the GOTY/community bugfix is out
Skyrim is one of the games I am most certain I will shelve. ES games are probably the single best example of the value in waiting until the mod community has worked its magic.

Stallion Free said:
No you are right, they are the exact same this is just a Crytek joke.

Exactly. I don't get it man, to me the difference is black and white. It's obvious. Maybe I am just wanting to see it? I don't know. To me its a very big difference.

thetrin

Alxjn said:
I do like some of the changes to the Nanosuit, but there are a lot of subtle and not so subtle changes that frustrate me. Things like lack of super duper speed jumps or Power melee and throw requiring what feels like a 3 second charge up. It ruins the flow of combat a bit, something I never really had a problem with in the original.

Also, lemme attach a sniper scope to my shotgun, not because it's practical, but because I want to.
I hear you. I had a couple issues like that too, but the addition of being able to stack nanosuit abilities (armor with power melee, for example) made up for it imo. Things just felt snappier.

BlackDove

Banned
Des0lar said:

You can see the bricks get more polygons by the fact that they pop out of the wall now. I bet that wall looked pretty shit to you before, but now it's the best wall ever made.

Allocating more computing resources to a brick wall, for non-existent graphical fidelity improvements.

Ingenious development strategy.

Ten out of ten, game of the year.

LovingSteam said:
Map tools are coming. In fact the entire tools that were used to make them game are coming.
There's a dev kit coming, but not one including all the game assets like in crysis 1 (or UDK that you got with unreal 3).

Can't sell that DLC if people be making maps for free now can you.

thetrin

BlackDove said:
You can see the bricks get more polygons by the fact that they pop out of the wall now. I bet that wall looked pretty shit to you before, but now it's the best wall ever made.

Allocating more computing resources to a brick wall, for non-existent graphical fidelity improvements.

Dude, did Crytek kidnap and kill your family, or something? What is your problem with this free, optional graphical update?

Sophia

Des0lar said:

Look at the individual bricks. They're no longer simply a wall texture.

BlackDove said:

Surely you can contribute something to this thread other than bitching and moaning?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
sp3000 said:
Ummm, did you even play the first game? Crytek themselves said in 2008 that Crysis could not be done on consoles without serious compromises to the gameplay, and lo and behold next year they're making Crysis 2 multiplatform.

It wasn't a bad game but it's ignorant to say that vast sacrifices weren't made to cater to the xbox and ps3

Far Cry 2 landed intact though. I think it was a design decision more than a technical one. Directed experiences are the new thing. I can definitely see how a person might like one more than the other.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
When is soon? I'd like to try the new textures. The tessellation upgrade seems about what should be expected. They obviously weren't gonna recreate every asset in super high fidelity just for an optional patch months past the release if they didn't bother to do it for the original launch, so you just get benefits on tiled things and whatever else they had handy. The bricks look alright in that shot but lol @ the inside of that window frame having improper texture alignment so that it doesn't match at all with the front. So bad.

thetrin

SapientWolf said:
Far Cry 2 landed intact though. I think it was a design decision more than a technical one. Directed experiences are the new thing. I can definitely see how a person might like one more than the other.
Pretty much. I liked the sandboxy elements of Crysis 2's connected arenas, but I actually have a friend who found Crysis 2 not linear enough, and didn't like the game at all as a result. I can't imagine what he'd think of Crysis 1.

Tesselation! Our precious flat rubble piles will finally be complete! :3

low-G said:
No, Crysis had parallax occlusion mapping, and tessellation only for water. This has tessellation on other geometry. The result is similar but not the same.

(personally I was fine with POM)

I think the problem with POM is its refusal to work with texture filtering, making the farther part always look like a blurry mess at extreme angles (at least in Crysis). Also, when POM also created a strange warpy effect on cliffs and around edges:

Pretty sure tesselation doesn't have this problem, but I don't know much.

Top Bottom