• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1UP Yours (3/30/07)

FartOfWar

Banned
PleoMax said:
Uh no.

Aside from Shawn Elliot, wich is constantly making fun of shit, with his nerd voices, the GFW podcast is pretty much a piece of shit.

1upyours has humour, news, soops, rumours, everything. It's not just about 1 funny guy making fun of shit for basically 80% of the time...hell they even have this 1 dude that seems to be very timid, with a very natural nerd voice that whenever he speaks up you wonder where the **** did that guy come out.sinvce he never speaks

Jeff Green and his Infernal rant on this week's show beg to differ. Seriously, it might not be everybody's bag, but try us out.

http://infernalsucks.ytmnd.com/

Eel O'Brian said:
If those of you kneeling at the altar of Saint Skip will notice, he laid down the personal insults first. I didn't call names until he'd taken the first shot. So wipe those stars out of your eyes, and realize that these guys can be just as guilty of instigating shit as anyone else.

I just asked a simple question, which basically boiled down to "Isn't it a double standard to laugh along with some of the tasteless comments made on 1up Yours while taking offense at tasteless comments made elsewhere?" I mean, just a week or two ago Luke was railing on that guy from GDC, calling him a douchebag (among other names), and apparently that was acceptable behavior since it wasn't edited out of the final podcast. So I have to assume he thinks that's okay - but if someone calls Luke a douchebag here at GAF, here comes skip to tell you you're over the line. If he does take offense and disagree with some of the stuff on 1up Yours, we never hear about it during the show - not once. It's just left to stand as it was stated. But we sure as hell hear about it every single time he's upset about something posted here. The point is, these guys don't really have a right to get offended over idiotic insults and lame tasteless jokes that are sometimes made here, when they're saying the same sorts of things on their podcast. It's hypocritical.

I've said what I wanted to say. Some of you won't ever get it, but that's GAF.

This right here is completely true. Skip edited the profane insults out of his post, but I'm pretty sure they were quoted for posterity.

But no, it can't be Skip's fault, so we see ten groupies come running to give Skip head since he had a disagreement with an "idiot" forum member. And obviously anyone else who disagreed with him is also an "idiot." And since I think the show is overrated, I'm an "idiot" too.

The double standard was pretty ridiculous.

J-Rzez

skip said:
I'll let our newshounds and preview team know...

Nice... Thank you very much! It's really a game a decent amount of people are interested in... Even those turned off by S3 and CA... You'll always see it's name dragged in when talking about big titles that Sony has...

And now that Zipper is 1st party to Sony, they should be able to crank out something even better...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Green Shinobi said:
This right here is completely true. Skip edited the profane insults out of his post, but I'm pretty sure they were quoted for posterity.

But no, it can't be Skip's fault, so we see ten groupies come running to give Skip head since he had a disagreement with an "idiot" forum member. And obviously anyone else who disagreed with him is also an "idiot." And since I think the show is overrated, I'm an "idiot" too.

The difference is that Skip has some credibility and brings something to the table. You however do not.

TDG

Banned
Green Shinobi said:

Dear god. LET IT GO!

Schafer said:
The difference is that Skip has some credibility and brings something to the table. You however do not.
Which of course gives him the right to call Eel O Brian a "miserable, condescending, caustic piece of shit," to use his exact quote.

Besides, he's posting on a message board. While he's on the message board, he shouldn't have this "stature" that makes him better than anyone else. He's just another poster. When he's writing for whatever magazine he writes for, or talking on whatever podcast he does, then he's on his turf. But when he posts here, he shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt over anyone else.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Green Shinobi said:
Which of course gives him the right to call Eel O Brian a "miserable, condescending, caustic piece of shit," to use his exact quote.

Besides, he's posting on a message board. While he's on the message board, he shouldn't have this "stature" that makes him better than anyone else. He's just another poster. When he's writing for whatever magazine he writes for, or talking on whatever podcast he does, then he's on his turf. But when he posts here, he shouldn't be given the benefit of the doubt over anyone else.

We know who he is, that info doesn't vanish when he posts. Everyone here has a rep in some form or another. Some from their posting history, some from stuff they do elsewhere. I can definitely say your rep is well and truly f*cked.

TDG

Banned
_leech_ said:
Excellent, excellent show guys. Ignore the haters, they can choose to stop listening whenever they want :p
I sort of wish they would. I'd love to have a discussion about the show every week instead of the same "1UP HATES THE WII" thread every week.

Schafer said:
Absolutely.
If you can point to ONE quote that shows this history of idiocy, I'll never post here again. Besides the single quote where I said NeoGAF posters could run 1up with no loss of quality.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
FartOfWar said:
Jeff Green and his Infernal rant on this week's show beg to differ. Seriously, it might not be everybody's bag, but try us out.

http://infernalsucks.ytmnd.com/

Haha, yeah, Jeff is a funny guy.

Darren, Sean and Ryan are very cool as well, provide good opinions and funny moments.

"Hey Ryan, there is something about Guild Wars 2 on here!"
"..........oh boy"

:lol :lol

milkham

Green Shinobi said:
If you can point to ONE quote that shows this history of idiocy, I'll never post here again. Besides the single quote where I said NeoGAF posters could run 1up with no loss of quality.

^^^ there's one! ^^^

FartOfWar

Banned
McBacon said:
Haha, yeah, Jeff is a funny guy.

Darren, Sean and Ryan are very cool as well, provide good opinions and funny moments.

"Hey Ryan, there is something about Guild Wars 2 on here!"
"..........oh boy"

:lol :lol

They totally are! I just brought up the big gun since I was dealing with a hater.

P.S.
saitekusa_1941_678127

Insertia

Luke's defense for his ridiculous 360 Elite vs. PS3 article was terrible. I didn't expect him to say "Okay, I'm biased and ****ed up", but still...

Wiitard

Banned
Jesus tap-dancing Christ.

I come into this thread thinking that the crew were ultimately, nice professional people who were maybe having so much fun on the podcast that they might slip a mistake or two, all joking aside.

Skip almost completely disabused me of this notion. I definitely expected a more becoming behaviour. I really hope he is just having a crappy day.

Drensch

I'd love to have a discussion about the show every week instead of the same "1UP HATES THE WII" thread every week.

Then discuss the ****ing show and stop bitching about it. If they didn't go out of their way to try and piss off people who like Nintendo there'd be far less complaints. Moreover talking about 1up's Wii bashing is discussing the show. It doesn't all have to be sucking up to skip, going gay for shane, crying about Garnett and stroking Luke's ego.

milkham said:
^^^ there's one! ^^^
I still contend that there are hundreds of NeoGAF posters with every bit as much knowledge and writing ability as the majority of gaming journalists, especially when compared to Gamepro and Gamespot. 1up and IGN are better in my opinion.

Take for example Gamepro's awesome article comparing PS3 and 360 exclusives with the revealing edit: "OH NO! How could we forget Mass Effect and Bioshock?" Why did the guy even write the article if he wasn't going to do five minutes of research?

Kabouter

Green Shinobi said:
Take for example Gamepro's awesome article comparing PS3 and 360 exclusives with the revealing edit: "OH NO! How could we forget Mass Effect and Bioshock?" Why did the guy even write the article if he wasn't going to do five minutes of research?

You're going to compare exclusives and then leave out a title by BIOWARE?
Jesus....

And Bioshock is not exclusive dammit[/obligatory PC fanboy comment]

Maridia

Schafer said:
We know who he is, that info doesn't vanish when he posts. Everyone here has a rep in some form or another. Some from their posting history, some from stuff they do elsewhere. I can definitely say your rep is well and truly f*cked.

Does your tag refer to your tendency to randomly appear in arguments that have nothing to do with you and ostracize new members? Who the **** are you to determine his "rep?"

Wiitard

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
I still contend that there are hundreds of NeoGAF posters with every bit as much knowledge and writing ability as the majority of gaming journalists, especially when compared to Gamepro and Gamespot. 1up and IGN are better in my opinion.

I learned something in this thread: this two outlets do not deserve sharing the same sentence - IGN does not deserve it.

Maridia said:
Does your tag refer to your tendency to randomly appear in arguments that have nothing to do with you and ostracize new members? Who the **** are you to determine his "rep?"

He is exactly what his tag says he is.

FartOfWar

Banned
Ghost said:
whats that and how many internal organs do i need to trade to get one?
I have the controllers, but not the table, which they want close to $500 bucks for. USAAF retirement checks love it, though. Plus, I think my girlfriend would kill me for bringing something like that into our small cottage. I can dream.

Gigglepoo

Drensch said:
TIf they didn't go out of their way to try and piss off people who like Nintendo

I'm a huge Nintendo fan. Of course, I also love my X360 and can't wait to get a PS3 of my own. Is there where the line is drawn? Having a love of video games as a whole instead of just one company means I can enjoy discussions about all three companies, and laugh at jokes. I don't think I've ever been angry but what they, or anyone else, says about the Wii. I didn't even notice anything vicious in this episode. What is everyone up in arms about anyway? The Sonic vs Mario bit?

Wiitard said:
I learned something in this thread: this two outlets do not deserve sharing the same sentence - IGN does not deserve it.
Their roundtable isn't great, but their previews and reviews are usually well-written. They do have a tendency to overrate things.

Gigglepoo

Green Shinobi said:
They do have a tendency to overrate things.

Just about every publication is guilty of that. You can see it by the reaction games get on this message board. People honestly think an 8 is a bad score because they have been so conditioned that "very good" games should get 9s and above.

LukeSmith

Oh man. I only just now got to read this. I wish the Nintendo fans' vigor hadn't waned so much, I wanted to talk about Wii games that don't use waggle, gamecube ports and mario's semen in a wine glass.

Maridia

Gigglepoo said:
I'm a huge Nintendo fan. I'm not going to get into the reasons why, but I have documented proof that I dwarf the most loud, obnoxious Nintendo fan on this board. Of course, I also love my X360 and can't wait to get a PS3 of my own. Is there where the line is drawn? Having a love of video games as a whole instead of just one company means I can enjoy discussions about all three companies, and laugh at jokes. I don't think I've ever been angry but what they, or anyone else, says about the Wii. I didn't even notice anything vicious in this episode. What is everyone up in arms about anyway? The Sonic vs Mario bit?

It started there, escalated when someone said that "1up isn't biased against Nintendo like Osama bin Laden isn't biased against America," came completely unhinged when skip reacted like they had just pissed on Ground Zero and defecated on the families of 9/11 victims, got even zanier when someone pointed out that skip can be heard appreciating several non-pc jokes (including one about AIDS? Have you no empathy for the untold millions of dead, Pfister?!) on the podcast, and reached its glorius apex when skip called the guy who pointed out the hypocrisy of his feigned outrage a "caustic piece of shit." That's about where we are now. It's worth a read if you've got the time.

Gigglepoo said:
Just about every publication is guilty of that. You can see it by the reaction games get on this message board. People honestly think an 8 is a bad score because they have been so conditioned that "very good" games should get 9s and above.
Well, EGM with their Silver and Gold medals are probably the cause of that. Back when a lot of us were kids with allowances and lawn-mowing jobs, we didn't want to waste our hard-earned cash on something that didn't get at least a Silver. So there's a sense of value tied to the review score that hasn't really gone away over the years, although it's fading to some degree.

Wiitard

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
I'm a huge Nintendo fan. Of course, I also love my X360 and can't wait to get a PS3 of my own. Is there where the line is drawn? Having a love of video games as a whole instead of just one company means I can enjoy discussions about all three companies, and laugh at jokes. I don't think I've ever been angry but what they, or anyone else, says about the Wii. I didn't even notice anything vicious in this episode. What is everyone up in arms about anyway? The Sonic vs Mario bit?

Yes, the Sonic vs. Mario. Although, after listening to podcast, overall there is probably less hate then usual. My own point was fairly minor - make sure you make a clearer distinction between your preferences and your predictions.

But I for one don't really care anymore - it does not seem like they are really capable of benefiting from the feedback.

Gigglepoo

Green Shinobi said:
Back when a lot of us were kids with allowances and lawn-mowing jobs

Bah? I subscribed to Gamepro when I was a kid (well, I started six years after getting into gaming) but never really cared what their scores were. I asked for / bought games that sounded fun, not which had the biggest smiley face. I can't believe people actually decide which games to purchase based on a stupid number stamped to the end. That's just depressing.

As far as the feedback...

Great show, but Shawn (Sean?) actually went over the line with the face defecation line. It wasn't offensive but just wasn't funny. I mean, who likes heavy handed vulgarity when a sly AIDS joke is just waiting around the corner? Now that was funny.

Wiitard

Banned
Green Shinobi said:
Their roundtable isn't great, but their previews and reviews are usually well-written. They do have a tendency to overrate things.

Untill Mr. Cassamassina comes out to troll using rather cheap demagogery, I would have to trust him over those guys.

Evlar

Banned
LukeSmith said:
Oh man. I only just now got to read this. I wish the Nintendo fans' vigor hadn't waned so much, I wanted to talk about Wii games that don't use waggle, gamecube ports and mario's semen in a wine glass.
Internet fame's not really that big of a deal, y'know? In the end you're another squawking voice with a half-baked opinion, like the rest of us: Only unlike the rest of us you have an internet fanclub.

Gigglepoo said:
Bah? I subscribed to Gamepro when I was a kid (well, I started six years after getting into gaming) but never really cared what their scores were. I asked for / bought games that sounded fun, not which had the biggest smiley face. I can't believe people actually decide which games to purchase based on a stupid number stamped to the end. That's just depressing.
You were definitely an exception. I used to be a member of AOL's ANT gaming community back in 1999 and 2000, and people would get up in arms about review scores. I think a lot of people just want everyone to like the same things that they do. For instance, I was really p*ssed when War Gods, a game I liked, got horrible review scores.

Personally, I don't care anymore. I'm probably buying EDF 2017, which is getting scores in the 6.5-7.5 range. But a lot of people do, and it causes way more outrage than it should. 8.8 for Twilight Princess or 8.something for Super Mario Sunshine are the best examples I can think of.

Gigglepoo

Wiitard said:
Yes, the Sonic vs. Mario.

What did you expect them to say? If it was me (and, since I do have a website and podcast, it has been me in the past), I would have laughed at the inclusion of Sonic as well. He hasn't been relevant in a decade and was only popular in the first place because console pundits needed their own mascot to back even when Mario and his far superior games were staring them right in the face.

Console fanboys ruin everything. If Sega fans could have just admitted that Sonic was shallow and boring, we wouldn't have to suffer through Sonic and the Secret Rings now.

Wiitard

Banned
Maridia said:
It started there, escalated when someone said that "1up isn't biased against Nintendo like Osama bin Laden isn't biased against America," came completely unhinged when skip reacted like they had just pissed on Ground Zero and defecated on the families of 9/11 victims, got even zanier when someone pointed out that skip can be heard appreciating several non-pc jokes (including one about AIDS? Have you no empathy for the untold millions of dead, Pfister?!) on the podcast, and reached its glorius apex when skip called the guy who pointed out the hypocrisy of his feigned outrage a "caustic piece of shit." That's about where we are now. It's worth a read if you've got the time.

That was me. And the quote is not exact. As I pointed out, the comparison was not once, as in the quote, but twice removed: "saying that .. is like saying that : an understatement"

The problems started when Skip pretty much implied that one of the Gaf members wanted to blow up EGM builing WITHOUT citing that it was a post in the April Fools thread. A tastless joke, even maybe offencive it might have been. A threat ilustrating "how far off we are" - hardly. Certainly pales in compasion to the stuff at the podcast.

Gigglepoo said:
What did you expect them to say? If it was me (and, since I do have a website and podcast, it has been me in the past), I would have laughed at the inclusion of Sonic as well. He hasn't been relevant in a decade and was only popular in the first place because console pundits needed their own mascot to back even when Mario and his far superior games were staring them right in the face.

Console fanboys ruin everything. If Sega fans could have just admitted that Sonic was shallow and boring, we wouldn't have to suffer through Sonic and the Secret Rings now.

Exactly what they said plus some comment on whether or not the disparaging remarks implied just that they did not like the game or also expected it to flop.

Kabouter

Green Shinobi said:
You were definitely an exception. I used to be a member of AOL's ANT gaming community back in 1999 and 2000, and people would get up in arms about review scores.
How little has changed... :{

Drensch

I didn't even notice anything vicious in this episode. What is everyone up in arms about anyway?

I certainly wouldn't say anyone is up in arms. Most of the hubub in this thread is not "whining" Nintendo fans, but people "whining" about the whining Nintendo fans. And the massive double standard. It's as if you're not allowed to like thw Wii, and if you do? You're an Ntard or whatever derogatory term you want to come up with. It's not so much what they said, but a pattern of snide comments and derisiveness. They don't have to like the Wii. But they don't have to go out of their way every week to trash it, and the general attitude.

LukeSmith said:

Waggle is the future and you know it, along with great graphics. There shall be a great merging for next-next gen.

Top Bottom