• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011-2012 TV Show Cancellation Thread - CSI Miami just got *takes off shades* canned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Shows ended relatively on own terms:
House
Desperate Housewives
Chuck
One Tree Hill

Cancelled:
Pan Am
Charlie's Angels
Work It!
Missing
Man Up
The River
GCB
A Gifted Man
NYC 22
CSI Miami
Unforgettable
How to be a Gentleman
Rob
The LA Complex
The Secret Circle
I Hate My Teenage Daughter
Breaking In
Allen Gregory
The Finder
Terra Nova
Alcatraz
Napoleon Dynamite
Prime Suspect
Bent
BFF
The Firm
Harry's Law
Are You There, Chelsea?
Free Agents
The Playboy Club
Awake

Why care about cancellations?
- You don't want to follow a show that's going to get canned after a cliffhanger and then bitch endlessly how unfair it is that you never get to find out what would have happened.
- The faster shows are cancelled in the fall, the sooner you'll get to see midseason returning favourites and other new shows held for the midseason.
- Networks have a finite amount of time and space. The more shows get cancelled, the more pilots get commissioned, the more shows that are ordered to show, the more new shows you get to watch in the future.
- Ask yourself whether or not there are more shows cancelled before their time (OMG VERONICA MARS JOURNEYMAN JOHN FROM CINCINNATI TERRIERS FERRIS BUELLER THE TV SHOW CANCELLED BEFORE THEIR TIME!) or more shows that run years too long, spiral around the drain, decline in quality, and need to be put out of their mercy?

Last year's thread

Another season of new shows and returning favourites, Who will be the first to bomba? Predictions, anyone?

Raxus

I can't see many new shows surviving to season 2. Hopefully Up All Night isn't crushed by Modern Family.

Kabouter

Whitney's getting canned for sure.

I have to say by the way, you calling H8R the worst show greenlit in at least a decade really makes me want to check it out.

DavieC726

My moneys on Whitney getting canned as well.

I was going to say New Girl at one point....but after watching the pilot its not that bad

blackflag

Just based on the pilot...Ringer. It got mediocre reviews but I don't see how. It was really bad and extremely boring. It had a lot of marketing though so that could save it.

jagowar

I would be surprised if more than 1 or 2 shows make season two this fall.... almost all the new fall shows this year look horrible.

I hope terra nova brings in good ratings.... its the one that looked like it has a chance to make it but from what I read is a very expensive production and would likely need killer ratings to survive which it may not get.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'd say Wilfred, but mysteriously it's popular in the US.

Tried both the AU and US versions and think it's really unfunny.

Slayven

blackflag said:
Just based on the pilot...Ringer. It got mediocre reviews but I don't see how. It was really bad and extremely boring. It had a lot of marketing though so that could save it.
Yeah I don't see how they can stretch the premise for more then two eps let alone a full season.

TheMan

That police show starring Maria Bello sounds so fucking cliche (except for the fact that the main character is a chick and not a dude, but honestly who gives a shit) and I think it's going to fall flat on its face.

Kabouter

JLG- said:
H8R is so fucking bad.
Yeah it is, I just watched the first half of the first episode, and stump absolutely did not oversell it. My god this shit is terrible. It is by far the fakest reality show I've ever seen, an accomplishment when most come across as fake already anyway. The entire concept is awful, the host is awful, the 'celebrities' are awful, the entire fucking show is awful. Definitely hope it's the first that will be canned.

Zoe

TheMan said:
That police show starring Maria Bello sounds so fucking cliche (except for the fact that the main character is a chick and not a dude, but honestly who gives a shit) and I think it's going to fall flat on its face.

I don't think I can watch it just because of how awful she looks in the promos.

(I know it's intentional)

TheMan

Lovegooder said:
My money's on Whitney or Charlie's Angels.

Whitney may or may not be that great, but as hard as they're pushing it I think people will watch it just because they're constantly being told to. I had no idea Charlie's Angels was being remade but I still think it's gonna be terrible. Didn't the movie run that property into the ground?

ram4638

Neo Member
The New York Times is running a pool where you can pick your dream 8-11 p.m. line-up out of the new shows, and guess how many episodes before they get cancelled. Its a pretty neat concept, though I don't know if they're giving away any prizes.

I'd guess that Whitney, 2 Broke Girls, Man Up and Once Upon a Time will be the big flops of the season.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
I'm a terrible judge of what does and doesn't get cancelled. I remember watching Friends and thinking it was horrible.

Slayven

TheMan said:
Old people love their cop shows

ram4638 said:
I'd guess that Whitney, 2 Broke Girls, Man Up and Once Upon a Time will be the big flops of the season.

2 Broke Girls is going to be the CBS comedy that lasts a full season because they don't have anything else to replace it, and is canned at the end. See: Accidentally on Purpose, S%&^ My Dad Says.

dvdjamm

Once Upon A Time
How To Be A Gentleman
Free Agents
Grimm
The Playboy Club
H8R
Hart Of Dixie
The Secret Circle
Terra Nova
Man Up

All those shows should be cancelled within the next 4-5 months

DavieC726

dvdjamm said:
Once Upon A Time
How To Be A Gentleman
Free Agents
Grimm
The Playboy Club
H8R
Hart Of Dixie
The Secret Circle
Terra Nova
Man Up

All those shows should be cancelled within the next 4-5 months

I completely forgot about the playboy club....yeah I'm fully expecting that to be canned as well

Whitney Cummings is the creator of 2 Broke Girls. She might go 0-for-2 before mid-season.

Speaking of mid-season, that's when 30 Rock will be back. Boo on Ms. Fey for getting knocked up -- again!

survivor

Banned
I know it has no chance of being cancelled but what's the outlook on Two and a Half Men? Big drop or small negligible one?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
It's gonna be like last year, where most new things get straight up canned before the end of the year. Only like, X-Factor and...I dunno, nothing else will survive.

If Whitney does not get cancelled quickly, you will find me in a clock tower somewhere with a sniper rifle because any faith in people would have been ripped away from me.

The force feeding nature of the commercials is infuriating.

I hope Up All Night is given time to develop. With basically three leads, however, I don't know how long it can last.

As for Awake, I pray that NBC gives it at least a full season (to be honest, it should probably be a mini-series, but if they have a plan it could be a really satisfying 3/4 season show)

saunderez

New Girl judging from the pilot. The character of Jess is far too annoying for me to tolerate on a weekly basis. I went to school with someone with that exact personality, I don't want to watch a TV show about her.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Is it just me or is everything shit this year? Granted I haven't followed every show but there's nary a one I have any interest in watching.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
that show about Playboy.

wait, is Summer Glau in anything? it will be that then the Playboy thing.

Emerson said:
Is it just me or is everything shit this year? Granted I haven't followed every show but there's nary a one I have any interest in watching.

Homeland on Showtime is good. The pilot is online if you're interested

Emerson said:
tumblr_lmitt8JYOk1qeohkwo1_500.gif

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I was hoping someone would make a thread like this. Predictions are always fun, even early on, with nothing really to base them on.

Here are mine based off of just the premiere numbers:

Ringer - Will be cancelled at the end of the season.
H8r - Cancelled within the next few episodes.
Up All Night - Will be renewed.
Free Agents - Cancelled within the next few episodes.
The Secret Circle - Will be renewed.
2 Broke Girls - Will be renewed.
The Playboy Club - Cancelled within the next few episodes.
Unforgettable - Cancelled at the end of the season.
New Girl - Renewed.
Revenge - Cancelled at the end of the season.
The X Factor - Renewed.
Person if Interest - Cancelled at the end of the season.
Charlie's Angels - Cancelled within the next few episodes.
Whitney - Cancelled at the end of the season.
Prime Suspect - Cancelled within the next few episodes.
A Gifted Man - Cancelled at the end of the season.
Pan Am - Renewed.
Terra Nova - Cancelled at the end of the season.
Hart of Dixie - Cancelled at the end of the season.
How to Be a Gentleman - Cancelled within the next few episodes.
Homeland - Renewed.
American Horror Story - Renewed.
Enlightenment - Cancelled at the end of the season.
Last Man Standing - Cancelled at the end of the season.
Man Up - Cancelled after a few episodes.
Boss - Already renewed.
Once Upon A Time - Cancelled at the end of the season.
Grimm - Cancelled at the end of the season.
Allen Gregory - Cancelled at the end of the season.
Hell on Wheels - Renewed.

I'll update my list with predictions for the other new shows after they premiere.

Predictions based off of premise, trailers, etc. :

Ringer - Cancelled at the end of the season.
H8r - Cancelled after a few episodes.
Up All Night - Cancelled after a few episodes.
Free Agents - Cancelled after a few episodes.
2 Broke Girls - Cancelled at the end of the season.
The Playboy Club - Cancelled after 11 episodes, like Undercovers was last season.
Unforgettable - Cancelled at the end of the season.
New Girl - Renewed
Revenge - Renewed
The X Factor - Renewed
Person if Interest - Renewed
Charlie's Angels - Cancelled at the end of the season.
Whitney - Cancelled after a few episodes.
Prime Suspect - Cancelled at the end of the season.
A Gifted Man - Cancelled at the end of the season.
Pan Am - Renewed
Terra Nova - Renewed
Hart of Dixie - Cancelled at the end of the season.
Suburgatory - Cancelled after a few episodes.
How to Be a Gentleman - Cancelled after a few episodes.
Homeland - Renewed
American Horror Story - Cancelled at the end of the season.
Enlightenment - Cancelled at the end of the season.
Last Man Standing - Cancelled after a few episodes.
Man Up - Cancelled after a few episodes.
Boss - Renewed
Grimm - Cancelled after a few episodes.
Once Upon A Time - Cancelled after a few episodes.
Allen Gregory - Cancelled after a few episodes.
Hell on Wheels - Renewed

TheSeks said:
I'd say Wilfred, but mysteriously it's popular in the US.

It's already been renewed for a second season.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think Last Man Standing will be renewed because I think it'll be successful. It looks terrible, but nothing really hits the King of Queens / Everybody Loves Raymond / Home Improvement family laugh-track sitcom niche these days. The closest options you have are The Middle (more closely related to Malcolm in the Middle in tone / presentation), Modern Family (the antithesis of what Last Man Standing purports to be), or Raising Hope (again, not a good fit).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom