• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011-2012 TV Show Cancellation Thread - CSI Miami just got *takes off shades* canned

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Stumpokapow said:
I think Last Man Standing will be renewed because I think it'll be successful. It looks terrible, but nothing really hits the King of Queens / Everybody Loves Raymond / Home Improvement family laugh-track sitcom niche these days. The closest options you have are The Middle (more closely related to Malcolm in the Middle in tone / presentation), Modern Family (the antithesis of what Last Man Standing purports to be), or Raising Hope (again, not a good fit).

Mm. But is there a place for those types of comedies any more on the networks? I could see it being a big hit on TNT or TBS but on ABC? I'm not so sure if the ABC audience wants a show like that. I kinda hope they don't as it does look terrible.

TheOddOne

Darth Pinche said:
If Whitney does not get cancelled quickly, you will find me in a clock tower somewhere with a sniper rifle because any faith in people would have been ripped away from me.

The force feeding nature of the commercials is infuriating.
Just saw the pilot for Whitney, fuck kill it with a fire.

dead souls said:
Yeah, Awake might be cool but it's going to be a fucking massive bomb.

:( Jason Isaacs needs his own series, far more than many other tv actors right now (FFS Will Arnett is on what is probably his 8th tv show now, the goodwill he had from Gob is gone!)

premise is interesting too, but yeah...bomba

Discotheque said:
:( Jason Isaacs needs his own series, far more than many other tv actors right now (FFS Will Arnett is on what is probably his 8th tv show now, the goodwill he had from Gob is gone!)

premise is interesting too, but yeah...bomba

He has one. The terribly named Case Histories.

Busty

Banned
I had high hopes early on that either Playboy Club or Pan-Am could be a 'Mad Men light' to fill the gap between seasons of Mad Men. Though hopes now appear to have been dashed on the rocks.

I have a feeling that Playboy Club will be this year's 'Lonestar'. I'm told the pilot is hideous and it just doesn't work even as some shameless Mad Men rip off.

Also word is that the Pan-Am pilot (and early episodes) was so expensive that if it doesn't work right out of the gate for Sony they may exit the TV drama business and concentrate on sitcoms!

I hope that the sizeable gamble that CBS is putting on Person Of Interest works for them. But like most things in US network TV it's 'go big or go home'.

TheSeks said:
I'd say Wilfred, but mysteriously it's popular in the US.

Tried both the AU and US versions and think it's really unfunny.

Agreed. I don't think it's unfunny it just stretches it's premise far too thin.

It has one joke and it beats it to death every week.

Incendiary said:
2 Broke Girls is going to be the CBS comedy that lasts a full season because they don't have anything else to replace it, and is canned at the end. See: Accidentally on Purpose, S%&^ My Dad Says.

That's a great shout actually. Every year CBS do some young skewing comedy that reeks of desperation. While 2 Broke Girls may not be it there is a pattern of failure there.

Irish

Free Agents was pretty darn good, so I hope that doesn't end up getting cancelled. I don't really see Up All Night making it very far. New Girl wasn't half bad, mainly because the trio of dudes were all pretty funny. I think it will do alright based on its place in Fox's schedule.

Busty said:
I have a feeling that Playboy Club will be this year's 'Lonestar'. I'm told the pilot is hideous and it just doesn't work even as some shameless Mad Men rip off.

I say we reserve the 'Lonestar' rating for things that were good, but cancelled after the first episode anyway. If the pilot of Playboy Club is bad, then that shouldn't fit. :D

I hope Ugly Americans doesn't get cancelled, being paired with Futurama for season 2 instead of South Park seems to have really shit on the ratings.

Haven't found any new shows I give a rats ass about yet, Ringer is the most absurd shit ever, can't believe it got produced. Also, I love how the pilot ends on a sinister phone conversation and the line "We have a problem...". Really? Really? Paid writers? Professionals? Really? Oh my.

nomis

dead souls said:
Yeah, Awake might be cool but it's going to be a fucking massive bomb.

Not if you FUCKING WATCH IT! I'm talking to ALL OF YOU. Looks so damn cool... Jason Issacs is an acting boss, as usual.

cajunator

Banned
Damn. I looked through that list of shows and I literally haven't watched a single one of them nor have I heard of most of them. I'm really out of touch with TV these days.

Busty

Banned
Irish said:
I say we reserve the 'Lonestar' rating for things that were good, but cancelled after the first episode anyway. If the pilot of Playboy Club is bad, then that shouldn't fit. :D

I wasn't really a fan of the Lonestar pilot but I do take your point.

Bootaaay said:
I hope Ugly Americans doesn't get cancelled....

I'd agree with that. Though I haven't seen any of the second season yet I really liked the show.

I don't imagine it's a very expensive show to make so it at least has that going for it.

Munin

Busty said:
Agreed. I don't think it's unfunny it just stretches it's premise far too thin.

It has one joke and it beats it to death every week.

Disagree. How far have you watched it? It becomes surprisingly thoughtful about midway through.

Thinking Whitney, Playboy Club, or New Girl. Whitney and Playboy Club look horrible, and for New Girl when was the last time a live action comedy has done well on Fox besides Raising Hope?

CrankyJay

Banned
I saw the Whitney pilot on NBC on demand...I enjoyed it, but it was pretty bad. The entire first scene the boyfriend is smiling and trying not to laugh while delivering his lines.

WEGGLES

survivor said:
I know it has no chance of being cancelled but what's the outlook on Two and a Half Men? Big drop or small negligible one?
I'm going to say big drop. Sheen was all that show had... and it didn't have much.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Granger Danger said:
88 eps = syndication. Season 4 will be the end.

It's not a hard and fast rule. Networks pitch syndication. Other networks buy syndication rights. Most networks buying syndication rights want to run something in strip syndication, which means one or more episodes per day. The conventional wisdom used to be 100 episodes or more, which would last 20 weeks in strip syndication. There were always deals that syndicated shows below this level--Arrested Development had 53 half-hour episodes and got a few syndication sales both domestically and abroad.

TVBTN has switched to calling 88 episodes the bar for syndication because a few high profile shows have sold syndication rights at or around that mark recently. It doesn't change the fact that a beefier episode count can look good in selling syndication rights, or that it's still possible to syndicate below that number.

I don't disagree with your assessment that Fringe is likely to end at the end of season 4, but I hope people aren't getting the idea from TVBTN that all shows that make it to 66 episodes and have poor ratings will be renewed until exactly 88 episodes and then unceremoniously dumped as the network cackles over syndication money. Not quite that cut and dry :p

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Added Playboy Club to the OP bombawatch. My frothing demand for cancellation increases. When we get the half/quarter hour audience breakdowns we should be able to see how many viewers gave up partway through the episode which might give us a better indication of which direction viewership is moving in.

ivysaur12

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Added Playboy Club to the OP bombawatch. My frothing demand for cancellation increases. When we get the half/quarter hour audience breakdowns we should be able to see how many viewers gave up partway through the episode which might give us a better indication of which direction viewership is moving in.

That's always tough to tell, though, because 10:45 - 11:00 is the least watched part of primetime. While there is zero chance that The Playboy Club will get a backorder, I think we might as well wait for next week.

EDIT: The only hour-long shows that NBC has in its wings are Awake, Betty White, The Firm (which I don't even know is even in production), and Smash.

They could move Awake up sometime this fall, but with that's the kind of show that needs a concentrated effort behind it to market well. I'd be we just get SVU re-runs. Or Minute to Win It.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Stumpokapow said:
Is there a deadpool for cancelled series?

I feel like I've seen 10 episodes of Whitney and it hasn't even debuted yet.

I want it to be cancelled just so I don't have to watch the commercials or see the ads everywhere.

ivysaur12

Banned
Kusagari said:
How did 2 Broke Girls do last night?

Very well. 7.0 in the demo, which is fantastic. Even with a strong lead-in, those are good numbers (70% retention). Next week will be more telling, but I would definitely say it's around for at least a full season.

My typical rule is that pilots rarely indicate what a show is going to be like week to week since there's so much setup and introduction. So at a minimum, I always give a show at least 3 to 4 episodes to find some sort of groove of what the show will be like. That said, Playboy Club really came off as dull and I don't see it lasting long. Probably the worst thing I watched last night.

ivysaur12

Banned
Fantastical said:
Playboy Club bombed? How was the pilot?

Boring. And all-around shitty.

You'd also think that a broadcast show would allow for set pieces better than Mad Men's. I guess not.

TheNatural

My Member!
I like Fringe's chances of being renewed if it can keep up a decent rating, with all the shit shows FOX is coming out with. I hope the X-Factor bombs good and hard, and I know Terra Nova is doomed from the start.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
If 2 Broke Girls is a success, at least Whitney Cummings has something to fall back on after Whitney inevitably gets the axe.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I hope RINGER makes it, i like the pilot.

it has to compete against alot of shows, and it airs after H8R(how the fuck that shit got a greenlight?????/)

AgentWhiskers said:
If 2 Broke Girls is a success, at least Whitney Cummings has something to fall back on after Whitney inevitably gets the axe.

I thought that was weird that she was behind that show which is on CBS, but then had her own show on NBC. Does that usually happen with being on two different networks? I can't think of a case where it happened before.

Shadow780

~Devil Trigger~ said:
I hope RINGER makes it, i like the pilot.

it has to compete against alot of shows, and it airs after H8R(how the fuck that shit got a greenlight?????/)

The premise of Ringer sounds like a movie rather than a TV show, I don't know how it's expected to last more than 1 season.

And man Sarah got old :*(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom