• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011-2012 TV Show Cancellation Thread - CSI Miami just got *takes off shades* canned

Status
Not open for further replies.

mj1108

TheOddOne said:
I really liked Two Broke Girls, but can see it get cancelled. Still ratings have been solid.

I was surprised by Two Broke Girls. I actually liked it a lot more than I expected to.

Stumpokapow said:
X Factor debut is lukewarm

There's probably some massive fingerpointing going on over at Fox this morning.

cory.

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
X Factor debut is lukewarm, Free Agents and Up All Night tumble (1.3 and 2.3 respectively). Free Agents has gotta be at risk for early cancellation. Revenges debuts strong. Modern Family shows big YOY growth. Harry's Law debuts where it left off, which is to say poorly. Danson on CSI meets my expectations.
The Voice is going to be the dominant reality show, unless X Factor has significant gains.
Up All Night is safe for now, and I don't really care about Free Agents so I'm fine with it going.
Harry's Law really needs to switch timeslots.

Irish said:
Eh, I thought it was pretty bad throughout. I really should have known better than to watch it.

I only caught the beginning and the end (decided it sucked and used the time to take a shower before Castle started), but I wasn't impressed. Went for the easy, crude joke every single time. A little too crude for it's time slot, honestly.

ivysaur12

Banned
If Whitney is below expectations (which I hope it is...):

- Move Harry's Law to 10pm on Monday. Through affiliates a bone with large viewership. It's also a much less competitive time slot. It'll be stable, albeit low. NBC needs that while they try to figure everything else out.

- Move Up All Night to after The Office.

- Free Agents to 8. Whitney to 8:30. Let them die. Minute to Win It at 9. Or SVU repeats. Or The Playboy Club since there's nothing else NBC really has?

- Save Matt Lauer depending on Prime Suspect's numbers. Same with Grimm.

Oh god, Grimm is going to bomba. The Playboy Club + Free Agents + Harry's Law + Grimm + maybe Whitney and Prime Suspect isn't great for NBC.

ivysaur12 said:
If Whitney is below expectations (which I hope it is...):

- Move Harry's Law to 10pm on Monday. Through affiliates a bone with large viewership. It's also a much less competitive time slot. It'll be stable, albeit low. NBC needs that while they try to figure everything else out.

- Move Up All Night to after The Office.

- Free Agents to 8. Whitney to 8:30. Let them die. Minute to Win It at 9. Or SVU repeats. Or The Playboy Club since there's nothing else NBC really has?

- Save Matt Lauer depending on Prime Suspect's numbers. Same with Grimm.

Oh god, Grimm is going to bomba. The Playboy Club + Free Agents + Harry's Law + Grimm + maybe Whitney and Prime Suspect isn't great for NBC.

Up All Night on Thursdays would be phenomenal. I fucking love that show.

"You 'Liked' Crystal Light?"

Busty

Banned
NBC's prime time ratings continue to be horrific. While there simply isn't any chance of the network 'being cancelled itself' owing to the fact it's part of the Comcast/GE goliath it's still interesting to see just how far behind it is the other three main broadcast nets.

But in saying that it is sticking with Community so it's not all bad.

Zoe said:
I'm pleasantly surprised that X Factor isn't hitting it out of the park.

Agreed. Time and again we hear about some shows being 'sure things' and I just don't think that any of Cowell's choices regarding the US X-Factor were very wise.

Cowell, Fox and the show's corporate will not be happy with the X-Factor being a distant third behind American Idol and The Voice.

It could still grow (and it certainly hasn't shit the bed.....,yet) but X-Factor just feels like one singing show too many and clearly the viewers are voting with their fingers.

ivysaur12

Banned
Busty said:
NBC's prime time ratings continue to be horrific. While there simply isn't any chance of the network 'being cancelled itself' owing to the fact it's part of the Comcast/GE goliath it's still interesting to see just how far behind it is the other three main broadcast nets.

Agreed. Time and again we hear about some shows being 'sure things' and I just don't think that any of Cowell's choices regarding the US X-Factor were very wise.

Cowell, Fox and the show's corporate will not be happy with the X-Factor being a distant third behind American Idol and The Voice.

It could still grow (and it certainly hasn't shit the bed.....,yet) but X-Factor just feels like one singing show too many and clearly the viewers are voting with their fingers.

You can't complain about a network doing for doing poorly and then cheer them for renewing a show that they only saved because their overall numbers are so low.

NBC still is #1 in the mornings with the Today show. They still have football and The Voice. They're down, but they have a very strong new leadership. We'll see what happens over the next 5 years.

Busty

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
You can't complain about a network doing for doing poorly and then cheer them for renewing a show that they only saved because their overall numbers are so low.

That's a good point. But it's hard for any scripted show to really break out in a big way on a network so stuck in the mud as NBC.

Though to be fair I think that Community is strong enough to slot into a competitive time slot on either Fox or CBS and do well. Mind you I am a fan.

ivysaur12 said:
NBC still is #1 in the mornings with the Today show. They still have football and The Voice. They're down, but they have a very strong new leadership. We'll see what happens over the next 5 years.

NFL brings in monster ratings and raises their audience share but doesn't actually generate any cash 'on it's own' per se because it's rights are so expensive.

NBC have a lot of healthy divisions (their late night used to be an absolute cash cow) but it's prime time that brings in the cash. I think that they are moving in the right direction and next season should bring in a lot of changes but it just seems as though CBS and FOX are so well run and executed that NBC will need to find it's niche and really go for it.

Can they become a network for young males off the back of the NFL games? It would be interesting to see them try.

Novid

Banned
Busty said:

X-Factor was better than idol ever was, got hyper promoted and only 12 million watched? All i got to say is EEEEEEHHHH? America?

Good numbers for Revenge, but I want to see what the numbers look like by week 3 or 4. I'm sure they'll plummet. A passable start for X-Factor, though I'm sure Fox was expecting a lot more. That's another show I'll be anxiously waiting to see what the numbers do over the next few weeks.

As for NBC, what a joke. It's nice to see that NBC still stands for Needs to Be Canceled.

Novid

Banned
Busty said:
That's a good point. But it's hard for any scripted show to really break out in a big way on a network so stuck in the mud as NBC.

Though to be fair I think that Community is strong enough to slot into a competitive time slot on either Fox or CBS and do well. Mind you I am a fan.

NFL brings in monster ratings and raises their audience share but doesn't actually generate any cash 'on it's own' per se because it's rights are so expensive.

NBC have a lot of healthy divisions (their late night used to be an absolute cash cow) but it's prime time that brings in the cash. I think that they are moving in the right direction and next season should bring in a lot of changes but it just seems as though CBS and FOX are so well run and executed that NBC will need to find it's niche and really go for it.

Can they become a network for young males off the back of the NFL games? It would be interesting to see them try.

Woah. Fox Has better leadership, CBS has better marketers. Thats it.

Novid

Banned
RatskyWatsky said:
Free Agent and H8r. I can smell their blood in the water.
Thank god H8R is almost gone.

WTF with Top Model All stars. Jael was the fucking all star of all stars and they didnt bring her back? They Brought Back Fake Hidoshi (Isis), Saki-chan and Creepy-Chan but NOT Jael!?

TheNatural

My Member!
Stumpokapow said:
X Factor debut is lukewarm, Free Agents and Up All Night tumble (1.3 and 2.3 respectively). Free Agents has gotta be at risk for early cancellation. Revenges debuts strong. Modern Family shows big YOY growth. Harry's Law debuts where it left off, which is to say poorly. Danson on CSI meets my expectations.

Booya. This alternate universe ends in Fringe being the top show left for FOX.

I was hoping X Factor would be a success, American Idol would just flop badly as a result causing it to get axed. This shit just means both will coexist since X Factor didn't do as good as expected :(

We only need one singing show per network forreal.

Novid

Banned
TheNatural said:
Booya. This alternate universe ends in Fringe being the top show left for FOX.

Which is going to shape up to be because the CW is FUCKING DYING. If Nikkta and Supernatural do better than the other shows on the network then youre gonna see head hunting on CBS side. FOX needs Thursdays X Factor to do way better. Or Friday Fringe will win the whole week for the network.

Novid

Banned
Discotheque said:
I was hoping X Factor would be a success, American Idol would just flop badly as a result causing it to get axed. This shit just means both will coexist since X Factor didn't do as good as expected :(

We only need one singing show per network forreal.

Idol will die out. X-Factor is it folks. I dont watch reality TV but this has been way better than Idol was in the last several years.

TheNatural

My Member!
Novid said:
Which is going to shape up to be because the CW is FUCKING DYING. If Nikkta and Supernatural do better than the other shows on the network then youre gonna see head hunting on CBS side. FOX needs Thursdays X Factor to do way better. Or Friday Fringe will win the whole week for the network.

I dunno if that's sarcasm or not. I'm being a little ultra optimistic, I know Fringe's ratings are pretty meh, but I'm kinda hoping they stay just solid enough on Friday's while the rest of the FOX Titanic is leaking to keep it around for a 5th year too. I'm glad I got the 4th season though. :p

ivysaur12

Banned
dead souls said:
Good numbers for Revenge, but I want to see what the numbers look like by week 3 or 4. I'm sure they'll plummet. A passable start for X-Factor, though I'm sure Fox was expecting a lot more. That's another show I'll be anxiously waiting to see what the numbers do over the next few weeks.

As for NBC, what a joke. It's nice to see that NBC still stands for Needs to Be Canceled.

Revenge has been tracking well. I expect it to get an extra order, at the very least.

ivysaur12 said:
Revenge has been tracking well. I expect it to get an extra order, at the very least.
Oh sure, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a full season. I doubt it stays anywhere near a mid-three in the demo though.

ivysaur12

Banned
dead souls said:
Oh sure, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a full season. I doubt it stays anywhere near a mid-three in the demo though.

Oh, no, hah. But I could see mid-2s. That'd be better than anything ABC has put there in a while. I'm also interested to see how my new favorite Happy Endings does post-Modern Family. If it can do better than Cougar Town, I'd be happy.

cory.

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
I'm also interested to see how my new favorite Happy Endings does post-Modern Family. If it can do better than Cougar Town, I'd be happy.
I think it will, if only because Modern Family appears to be even stronger now.

TacticalFox88 said:
Terra Nova, for sure. Unless they pull an assload of ratings it's pretty much dead on arrival.
Why do you say that, doesn't it have mass appeal? Everybody and their grandmother loves Jurassic Park, and Lost (its closest analogy as far as modern-day tv shows go) had good ratings throughout its entire run with a whopping 18.6 million viewers for the pilot.

cory.

Banned
Granger Danger said:
Why do you say that, doesn't it have mass appeal? Everybody and their grandmother loves Jurassic Park, and Lost (its closest analogy as far as modern-day tv shows go) had good ratings throughout its entire run with a whopping 18.6 million viewers for the pilot.
And ABC pulled those viewers out of nowhere.

Busty

Banned
Granger Danger said:

LOST and Terra Nova are in no way comparable.

Terra Nova has has to endure a disastrous production and considering how expensive that show is to make it needs to hit the ground running.

I think that Terra Nova will at least get a full season if only to save Fox's (who also produce the show) blushes.

Novid said:
Woah. Fox Has better leadership, CBS has better marketers. Thats it.

Say what you will about Les Moonves (and people have lots to say) but there is no way you can say that he isn't steering CBS in the right direction.

I'd say a huge part of CBS' success is down to Moonves. Not sure who you would attribute it to otherwise.

Chesskid1

Banned
amber heard looked freakin amazing the entire playboy pilot.

obviously it's not too great, but i'll watch it just for her.

watch the pilot and just oogle at her. amazing :eek:

Busty

Banned
Chesskid1 said:
amber heard looked freakin amazing the entire playboy pilot.

obviously it's not too great, but i'll watch it just for her.

watch the pilot and just oogle at her. amazing :eek:

Amber Heard couldn't save Drive Angry and she can't save Playboy Club.

Kat Dennings and her magnificent bosom on the other hand might just do wonders for 2 Broke Girls.

Novid

Banned
Busty said:

Terra Nova has has to endure a disastrous production and considering how expensive that show is to make it needs to hit the ground running.

I think that Terra Nova will at least get a full season if only to save Fox's (who also produce the show) blushes.

Say what you will about Les Moonves (and people have lots to say) but there is no way you can say that he isn't steering CBS in the right direction.

I'd say a huge part of CBS' success is down to Moonves. Not sure who you would attribute it to otherwise.

dude, Moonves is the biggest dumbass in the history of network television. end of story.

Busty

Banned
Novid said:
dude, Moonves is the biggest dumbass in the history of network television. end of story.

Well, when you reason your argument like that I can see you know what you're talking about.

Tell me do you teach a course or have a weekly column in one of the trades I could read?

ivysaur12

Banned
Busty said:

Terra Nova is only getting 13 episodes because of extensive post production. If it is renewed, they'll immediately start production on season 2 where they would potentily try to squeeze out as many episodes as possible (if it's a hit, which it *should* be).

Novid

Banned
Busty said:
Well, when you reason your argument like that I can see you know what you're talking about.

Tell me do you teach a course or have a weekly column in one of the trades I could read?

Katie Couric 40 Million dollar contract.
The Issue beween him, Stern and Sirius Radio
A majority of his shows if it was on any other network would be canned/not last a season.
The Talk
Big Brother Mishandling and lack a plan to move it to HD
The Lara Logan Incident
CBS Film Department

need i go on?

Novid

Banned
ivysaur12 said:
Terra Nova is only getting 13 episodes because of extensive post production. If it is renewed, they'll immediately start production on season 2 where they would potentily try to squeeze out as many episodes as possible (if it's a hit, which it *should* be).

So somebody screwed up in post production. How that happen?

3N16MA

Banned
You have to like NBC if you're a viewer of a show like "Parenthood." It would already be gone on CBS and perhaps ABC/FOX. On NBC it is OK as long as it continues to pull in a 2.0+/18-49 at 10PM. NBC can't really do any better. Parenthood also deserves better.

ivysaur12

Banned
3N16MA said:
You have to like NBC if you're a viewer of a show like "Parenthood." It would already be gone on CBS and perhaps ABC/FOX. On NBC it is OK as long as it continues to pull in a 2.0+/18-49 at 10PM. NBC can't really do any better. Parenthood also deserves better.

Parenthood wouldn't work on CBS or Fox because it's completely off-brand and wouldn't have been picked up. It might have worked on ABC, but it's not quite the proceduroap that works well there.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Green Scar said:
You try selling a movie on the basis of its hot girl when she's cast opposite Nic Cage :lol

Not to mention every line of hers from those commercials made her character sound like a retarded inbred hillbilly.

Vamphuntr said:
If there's a justice Ringer will get cancelled (Or else it will bring down Sarah Michelle Gellar with it).
Clearing the way for her to play Joyce in the long-awaited BtVS reboot, launching on The CW in Fall 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom