• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clipper

So, SydGAF, Marsh is going to be in Sydney, so are we going to do another full meetup? Upcoming SydGAF Events are:

May 6th: Board games with Clipper, Danoss and Jintor

May 20th: Board games with Clipper, Doncamatic, Marshmellow and anybody else who wants to come.

Shall we do a dinner and/or drinks gathering on the 20th? Would you prefer another day? Marsh is with us for a while, so there is plenty of scale to pick better times and so on. Please, speak up if you are interested as this might be the last time I spruik this...

Shaneus

Hey. It's not that emphatically upper-class.
lJJUd.jpg

Danoss

So, SydGAF, Marsh is going to be in Sydney, so are we going to do another full meetup? Upcoming SydGAF Events are:

May 6th: Board games with Clipper, Danoss and Jintor

May 20th: Board games with Clipper, Doncamatic, Marshmellow and anybody else who wants to come.

Shall we do a dinner and/or drinks gathering on the 20th? Would you prefer another day? Marsh is with us for a while, so there is plenty of scale to pick better times and so on. Please, speak up if you are interested as this might be the last time I spruik this...

I'm down for board games, but am unlikely to be able to afford anything outside that. I'd rather not sit at a meetup and say "I can't afford dinner" whilst hosting my own pity party. I'm quite happy to hang out and stuff though.

Rezbit

Already played a practice match against bots with him. He's um...interesting. Trouble is I find it hard to control more than one dude, hah. He is going to be a damn nuisance in the hands of the right player though, that's for sure. I watched one game with like 600 viewers, and the PL was TERRIBLE. You need to get in there as much as possible to get your phantoms. This guy played defensively, didn't work.

Already played a practice match against bots with him. He's um...interesting. Trouble is I find it hard to control more than one dude, hah. He is going to be a damn nuisance in the hands of the right player though, that's for sure. I watched one game with like 600 viewers, and the PL was TERRIBLE. You need to get in there as much as possible to get your phantoms. This guy played defensively, didn't work.

Yeah I'm not sure if you want to be leveling spirit lance, 1 in W, a couple in stats to put you in a comfortable laning place, then focus on spirits+ult past 7 when it becomes more comfortable to push, or if you want to just spam spirits, 1 in spirit lance for a minor slow, 1 in W for escaping and push, more or less, off the bat.

Also, there was this little gem. Apple was taken to court for not fulfilling a promise to customers, then trying to weasel out of it. Pretty disgusting behaviour on their part.

http://www.seattlerex.com/seattle-rex-vs-apple-the-verdict-is-in/

Holy crap, this is skeevy as fuck. I like my iPod well enough and was thinking of getting an iPhone when my current contract's up, but reading that article makes me want to avoid touching anything Apple.

So AusGAF, I've got a query. I can't make a thread about it (and Australian opinions would be better anyway) but I've been thinking about picking up a tablet.

I figure loading stuff to read and general tablet-y stuff should be no big deal to work out myself, but I was hoping to throw some games on it. I was looking at mainly turn based stuff like Fallout 2/Baldur's Gate (and the ton of new old-school RPGs that have popped up recently) and point and click adventures. I've got a heap of both sitting around I haven't finished or started, since I've just been raiding Steam and GOG whenever there's been some good deals.

So is there a particular tablet to suit my needs here, or am I wasting my time at this point? iPads are pretty much the poster child for tablets but I'm not sure that's the way to go if I'm going to be running older DOS/Windows games along with my general inexperience with Apple computers. I was worried about compatibility or input issues, I don't want to buy something ridiculously expensive and find out it won't run any of the programs I want.

There is an Android port of DOSbox, though it's a for-pay app so I haven't had a look at it as my interest in the area was fleeting. I don't think there's anything for iOS (and if there is it'd have to be jailbroken). Another alternative is something like the MSI WindPad, and while I don't really like these devices, it will be the device with the highest chance of compatibility.

The other alternative is to choose your tablet hardware of preference based on the OS/individual tablet quality, and then RDP into a desktop computer. Will require a separate computer, won't work very well on the road, but will work with any tablet you choose with varying levels of success.

Arnie, I purposefully stayed away from May the Fourth jokes. But who cares, it's almost over, and tomorrow's Cinco de Mayo!

Dead Man

-Third person perspective
-The game uses a hotbar to activate skills like other traditional MMOs
-Visually it looks like other Hero Engine MMOs like SWTOR
-The general art style is kind of like RIFT or Everquest 2
-"It needs to be comfortable for people who are comign in from a typical massively multiplayer game that has the same control mechanisms, but it also has to appeal to Skyrim players."
-"Recreateing the freedom Elder Scrolls players expect within the World of Warcraft-style mechanics Zenimax Online is using for this MMO would be impossible without changing the way that players interact with the world."
-The game uses MMORPG genre standards such as classes, experience points, and other traditional MMORPG progression mechanics, but they try to present it "around the core fantasy presented by traditiona Elder Scrolls games" such as traveling around and righting wrongs or seeking riches

And just like that I don't give a fuck about Elder Scrolls Online! Maybe if it wasn't you know, World of Fucking Warcraft again and actually tried to be a first person MMORPG about Elder Scrolls I would have been interested. The above pretty much says it's going to be another cut and paste WoW job like TOR.

That is like the worst bunch of design decisions they could have made. Bloody hell.

zbeeb

So AusGAF, I've got a query. I can't make a thread about it (and Australian opinions would be better anyway) but I've been thinking about picking up a tablet.

I figure loading stuff to read and general tablet-y stuff should be no big deal to work out myself, but I was hoping to throw some games on it. I was looking at mainly turn based stuff like Fallout 2/Baldur's Gate (and the ton of new old-school RPGs that have popped up recently) and point and click adventures. I've got a heap of both sitting around I haven't finished or started, since I've just been raiding Steam and GOG whenever there's been some good deals.

So is there a particular tablet to suit my needs here, or am I wasting my time at this point? iPads are pretty much the poster child for tablets but I'm not sure that's the way to go if I'm going to be running older DOS/Windows games along with my general inexperience with Apple computers. I was worried about compatibility or input issues, I don't want to buy something ridiculously expensive and find out it won't run any of the programs I want.

Could be worth waiting to see what's on offer in terms of windows 8 x86 tablets?

Gazzawa

This win is Mourinho's seventh league championship title in 10 seasons, spread across four countries.

fuckin wow!

If you can afford Mourinho, you can afford some good players. Same thing at Chelsea and Inter. When he won the Champions League final with Inter Milan there was not one Italian player on the pitch for them that night.

Omikron

If you can afford Mourinho, you can afford some good players. Same thing at Chelsea and Inter. When he won the Champions League final with Inter Milan there was not one Italian player on the pitch for them that night.
Welcome to footballAusGAF, don't listen to Choc or Salazar. They are crazy.

oh shit oh shit oh shit
did anyone make a may the fourth be with you joke
if not dibs
if so
fuck you guys i dont read the this thread

Haha, I've never heard that before! That's great.

3 day weekend!!!!!

Four day weekend whooo.

Kudos Shan. Sorry that was super awkward.

Nope, alas. She works in the city. Giggling ladies are friends. Was devastated when Fiona said 5 minutes to go. I totally lost track.

Nah, wasn't that awkward :p just feel bad about having to rush off. There is truly nothing worse than getting your speech cut short, but you seemed to make the best of things.

Also holy crap avengers was the best thing ever. I.. wow. So many good moments. I don't know why they changed the actor for hulk, but mark ruffalo seemed like the perfect fit for him. Only bad part was me buying a frozen coke. Needing to pee during a film like that is not fun :s but seriously it was great.

Gazzawa

I'm sorry :p

Croatia you might beat...

Think about it. I think Ireland only conceded 5 maybe 6 in the group stage. So a win versus Croatia and 2 draws versus Spain and Italy.
I think Steven Gerard was right in saying the Euros are harder than the world cup because you don't get any easy teams in the group stages :(

markot

Banned
Elder scrolls online sounds like 'hey, lets make an mmo! Wow is popular! Lets take elder scrolls, and delete anything that makes it elder scrolls, and just skin wow with like nords and crap! GENIUS!'

>.< Kinda like swtor, fail in the boat of failingness.

Choc

Banned
i bet Todd Howard thinks the MMO is shit

also if Samsung want to seriously compete with Apple they need to open stores like Apple have.

The fact if the iphone breaks and you take it to apple, and they replace it on the spot is a HUGE thing for people who rely on their phone for business

i've spoken to a lot of people and they said if they could swap a samsung phone on the spot if it breaks, they would go samsung

none of this 6-8 week shit. Apple has that sorted very well indeed.

markot

Banned
i bet Todd Howard thinks the MMO is shit

also if Samsung want to seriously compete with Apple they need to open stores like Apple have.

The fact if the iphone breaks and you take it to apple, and they replace it on the spot is a HUGE thing for people who rely on their phone for business

i've spoken to a lot of people and they said if they could swap a samsung phone on the spot if it breaks, they would go samsung

none of this 6-8 week shit. Apple has that sorted very well indeed.
Well, Apple has like 2 phones out, Samsung has.... 5341?

Yagharek

Based on evidence of morrowind crashing a fair bit.

I havent played that, but it wont be surprising. Either way, I cannot possibly imagine bethesda are even remotely approaching 'competent' at netcode. They cant even get single player games to run at decent framerates.

Also, just saw The Avengers movie. Was very much enjoyable.

Axiom

I think the funniest thing about the Elder Scrolls MMO is how it completely fucks over Old Republic if it is even slightly more than TOR's 'Burning Crusade with Star Wars and voice acting'.

Hell it might even make it to Wrath of the Lich Kings levels and it'll only be 2 expansions behind!

Yagharek

On a more serious note, this article is incredible (and incredibly depressing) reading:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-04-free-radical-vs-the-monsters

David Doak's account of the shit Free Radical went through.

Publishers are arseholes. EA, Activision and Lucas Arts especially.

Quick quote from the opening:

The story of Free Radical Design begins with one of gaming's milestones, and after almost nine years it ended with the studio's blood on several publisher's hands. Founded in April 1999, the Nottingham-based studio created the much-loved shooter series TimeSplitters and third-person psychic drama Second Sight during the PS2 era. But Haze, the company's final game, received a critical mauling, sold poorly, and shortly afterwards Free Radical entered administration.
This article began with the question 'Did Haze Kill Free Radical?' But after speaking to every key figure in the company's history, the story turned out to be much bigger than the poor reception of one title. It's about how big publishers sometimes manhandle the developers they work with, and how badly they handle change. It's about how they asphyxiated one of Britain's finest independent developers, and drove an industry legend out of the games business.

Seriously - this is actual, real gaming journalism for a change.

Shaneus

Jambo: Steam friend me. Shaneus2k2.

Others (reptilescorpio, and jambo too I guess): You want that Torchlight preorder gift? I don't know if you can gift something when the recipient already owns it. Otherwise I have I think maybe two people on my Steam friends list that don't have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom