• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaneus

You can, it just goes into their inventory.
Ah, goodo. It still had the option to select them, but had the game listed as well. Wasn't sure.

On a more serious note, this article is incredible (and incredibly depressing) reading:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-04-free-radical-vs-the-monsters

David Doak's account of the shit Free Radical went through.

Publishers are arseholes. EA, Activision and Lucas Arts especially.

Quick quote from the opening:

Seriously - this is actual, real gaming journalism for a change.
What do I have to do to get the same kind of coverage and insight into Bizarre? Fucking hell, industry! Do something!

Yagharek

What do I have to do to get the same kind of coverage and insight into Bizarre? Fucking hell, industry! Do something!

Email Eurogamer, suggest it.

Given they are
a) British
b) walking bow-legged thanks to Activision

I wouldnt be surprised if there arent some people willing to talk.

Dead Man

On a more serious note, this article is incredible (and incredibly depressing) reading:

Publishers are arseholes. EA, Activision and Lucas Arts especially.

Quick quote from the opening:

Depressing as fuck, but good to read an in depth piece of journalism for a change.

Jambo: Steam friend me. Shaneus2k2.

Others (reptilescorpio, and jambo too I guess): You want that Torchlight preorder gift? I don't know if you can gift something when the recipient already owns it. Otherwise I have I think maybe two people on my Steam friends list that don't have it.

i think jambos dead. i like torchlight. whats this gift i you speak of and how do i get it.

Yagharek

Beast of a player.

I just hope Tiote rips the fuck out of Barry.

Tiote has been great this year, with much fewer yellows than last.

Personally I'm hoping for Ben Arfa running past seven citeh defenders and scoring another of his goals like that one vs bolton a few weeks back.

An Ameobi winner would be better though. <3 his heart.

Arkham City is $15 today on Steam, or $30 for both games and all the DLC.

Elder Scrolls MMO announced !!!! Get hype! (everyone except Vince :p)
Heh. Salsa nailed some hammers as to my forgiveness please.

Third person perspective
You can't be a werewolf or vampire
There most likely won't be dragons
There will be no player housing
There will be no NPC romances or marriage
Zenimax Online is keeping large areas inaccessible to save them for use as expansion content
Hitting the level cap takes about 120 hours
The combat model will not be real time due to latency

Not sure what they were thinking after 5 years of development. Better luck next time.

Thank you! Bought.
Bwaaaahahaha! Payback for me not talking you into buying Rollercoaster Tycoon 3!
We should wear them to the next MelbGAF meetup and be bacon buddies.

To clarify, you haven't bought a copy yet, have you? I still have a spot reserved for yourself and Jambo along with my brother in the four-pack. I'll be nailing it down sometime today, hopefully.
I'm up for a spot in your 4 pack love in. Really wanna know when the damn thing releases though! Looks great for co-op play.

Also, evlore turned down at least a five mill offer for gaf at some point...respect.
Linky? I am sure he gets backalley offers every day to pull all kinds of shenanigans but he obviously does well enough at his job that he doesn't care about the money.

Mobile neogaf. I still cant scroll to the bottom of the text box when replying.
Really? Works fine for me. Only issue now is I can't seem to get the cursor to move to the word/letter I want a lot of time time so I have to hold my finger down to select the word and THEN retype it. Little annoying but I can scroll up and down no problem on my Galaxy S2, which is great for multiquoting.

the espn 30/30 docos are so awesome...... my fav is probably the reggie miller and len bias one.
Hell yes! Whenever I catch up with my best mate we watch a random newish one that he records onto his iQ box or whatever they call that Foxtel recorder.

Am I missing the love for this? Someone explain it.
You are an overseer for a woman trying to break out. Think Aeon Flux or Dishonoured. The girl, Hope, is important (probably). You act as someone on the phone to her who can control security cameras to see what is going on and hack into security panels and similar stuff.

"The game doesn't feature any killing"

"move in for the attack"

ITT Omi demonstrates that when he attacks he goes for the jugular.

Attack as in knock out, this is a little woman against armed oppressors. She needs to be stealthy and effective lest she get a bullet to the face. Most of the time I expect will be focused on quietly going around bad guys.

samsung seriously fucked everything

people on whirlpool do not want

thats a problem for them
lol, never change Choc.

On the drive back to Melbourne, weekend here I come! Not pulling a DeathJr as someone else is driving.

Meeting with person trying to sell us software to replace software we already like went badly. Such a waste of a day, but I'm switching my brain off now as it's the weekend. Bought some eggs from that store at the BP petrol station halfway between Melbourne and Geelong because everyone needs petrol station eggs!
The BP juuuuust before Melbourne with the KFC is always the holy land on footy trips, run in for a quick pee and munch on some drunk food while sneaking a few tinnies off the bus.

will samsung ever stop copying apple LOL

galaxy-s-iii-252-sgMAIN--540x359.jpg

it even looks like siri
It was a similar setup on my phone, although they have made the icon smaller and more sexy.

I thought Siri was a recent thing for Apple? I remember having voice recognition stuff on my old Samsung.

Have they patented the name Steve yet?
A patent on Jobs must be next on the cards for them, wouldn't want Samsung or Google to get a hold of that one!

tomorrow's Cinco de Mayo!
Fuck yes! Second only to St Guinness day, even then I think I am starting to love Cinco more!

All the Chili Con Carne and Tequila that I can stomach. Yep. Going to make a proper day of it next year. My Cinco de Partyo days will become legendary, I can see it now. Beer Pong with Sol and a shot of tequila in the mystery cup, nothing but smooth Santana vibes coming out of the boombox.

Elder Scrolls Online sounds like it could have been made in 2005. Really strange.
There has been talk of it existing since then, even though they say work started in 2007.

The fact if the iphone breaks and you take it to apple, and they replace it on the spot is a HUGE thing for people who rely on their phone for business

i've spoken to a lot of people and they said if they could swap a samsung phone on the spot if it breaks, they would go samsung

none of this 6-8 week shit. Apple has that sorted very well indeed.
Don't every phone store give you a loaner phone while it is being fixed? When my shitty Motorola flip phone kept breaking down Telstra just gave me a loaner phone to slip my sim card and memory stick into while it was away for repairs.

I'm glad someone gets enjoyment from my posts on the matter. I lay awake at night trying to puzzle out a means to stop elder scrolls games from selling so well.
No need anymore, the MMO is on its way!

He has been going around the past week with this story. A lot of people have come out and said it is very one-sided and some creative licence has been taken to turn him into a much more 'respectable' boss.

I'm one of Free Radical (and now Crytek UK's) biggest fans but even I have to take what he says with a grain of salt.

I cant quite tell if thats sarcasm or not ...

;)
Shaneus is always genuine! That is a true Geelong boy trait that is.

Shaneus

I cant quite tell if thats sarcasm or not ...

;)
Nope, serious. If it was about anything else other than Bizarre you'd be excused, but glossing over such things in regards to one of my favourite devs is pretty damned stupid of me (though given the shithouse week I've had at work, completely understandable ;) ).

Reptile: Dude, gifted the thing to you around an hour ago. Was just checking in to see if you still wanted the Twilight 1 gift, but as Fred already answered, the question is moot :)

LCVaF.gif

I also want to say that I only left a dampener comment about the (still awesome) Free Radical piece because I have read several other this past week, along with a lot of talk about Doak.

The article itself and the VAST majority of stuff in it is still fantastic and a great window into how publishers can squeeze a company of brilliant workers into either a money making, happiness covered entity or a combusted shell of a company drawn completely of blood, sweat & tears all in the gain of naught.

Danoss

Holy crap, this is skeevy as fuck. I like my iPod well enough and was thinking of getting an iPhone when my current contract's up, but reading that article makes me want to avoid touching anything Apple.

Yep, that is despicable behaviour from them. I'm honestly surprised they went out of their way to fuck over one of their customers. Amazing that it cost them more to try and screw him over than to do the right thing as promised. I wish that story got a lot more exposure than it has, I think people should really see how terrible they have become.

Speaking of terrible. Anyone want a free season ticket to see the Eels play? I use the term 'play' loosely, I really mean 'run around aimlessly like a bunch of drooling spastics, disguised as a football team'. I apoligise to any spastics I may have offended by likening the Eels to one of them.

For some reason, one former lucasarts producer i knew insisted on referring to this generation as Gen 3. As in playstation 3. I dont know how widespread that bit of ignorance was within the company.

A bunch of incredibly stuck up humourless fucks.

For some reason, one former lucasarts producer i knew insisted on referring to this generation as Gen 3. As in playstation 3. I dont know how widespread that bit of ignorance was within the company.

Going by the output of Lucasarts over the last 7 years I would assume everyone had their favourite console and would come together at lunch time to bitch and moan at each other about Blast Processing and how getting a second job was totally worth it to reach Gen 3.

I can't see how they have been profitable this last decade at all. Even LeChucks Revenge SE didn't break even apparently FFS!

Shaneus

Holy crap, this is skeevy as fuck. I like my iPod well enough and was thinking of getting an iPhone when my current contract's up, but reading that article makes me want to avoid touching anything Apple.
Wow... yeah, I have no words. I'm confused between the almost unimaginable lengths they go to when replacing a defective iPhone (I've heard) and this. As much as I'd like to say I'd never touch a product of theirs again (and man, if they were even the slightest bit like that with their phones, I wouldn't) the decent (from what I'm led to believe) after-sales service coupled with a decent OS means I'll probably be supporting ridiculously shady practices like those mentioned in that article.

Going by the output of Lucasarts over the last 7 years I would assume everyone had their favourite console and would come together at lunch time to bitch and moan at each other about Blast Processing and how getting a second job was totally worth it to reach Gen 3.

I can't see how they have been profitable this last decade at all. Even LeChucks Revenge SE didn't break even apparently FFS!
Have they actually released *anything* recently? Other than said MI remakes and load after load of Star Wars tripe, I'd struggle to think of a single decent product.

This is the company (well, technically as LucasFilm Games as well) that gave us the Monkey Island series, DotT/Maniac Mansion, Grim Fandango, and Sam n Max. Have to wonder what the fuck happened to that humour and sense of adventure that led to those games being released.

Jintor

I bought an Asterix comic while I was in town, but apparently tommorrow is Free Comic Book day so I should go in for some free comics and sales tommorrow!

Also Game of Thrones is a long-ass board game and I got decimated on the third turn. Chaos in the Old World looked complex as fuck but I think I got the hang of the rules system.

What're we playing on Sunday, Clip?

This is the company (well, technically as LucasFilm Games as well) that gave us the Monkey Island series, DotT/Maniac Mansion, Grim Fandango, and Sam n Max. Have to wonder what the fuck happened to that humour and sense of adventure that led to those games being released.
As Clive, and a lot of articles/interviews, are getting at most of their issue is a continual turnover of high level management because there IS no point to the company. They don't have a high up video game person. They have Lucasarts. There is no one to spend 20 years at the company hoping to grow it into an industry leader.

It is the opposite to an independent company. No independent thoughts are allowed and innovation is suppressed and taken out the back and shot. I am shocked they haven't yet pulled all their games from Steam and offered them to EA for a slightly better percentage.

Yagharek

And EA gave us Strike, Road Rash and a few others that escape me. Problem is, these cuntish companies buy up talent, shut them down, and continue to keep a hold of the IP. Whether they do anything with it or not.

Lucas arts is lucky in the sense they have popular IP that millions of people love, despite it being shit.

The only reason all those classic lucas arts games exist is in spite of the publisher, not because of them.

Could be worth waiting to see what's on offer in terms of windows 8 x86 tablets?

There is an Android port of DOSbox, though it's a for-pay app so I haven't had a look at it as my interest in the area was fleeting. I don't think there's anything for iOS (and if there is it'd have to be jailbroken). Another alternative is something like the MSI WindPad, and while I don't really like these devices, it will be the device with the highest chance of compatibility.

The other alternative is to choose your tablet hardware of preference based on the OS/individual tablet quality, and then RDP into a desktop computer. Will require a separate computer, won't work very well on the road, but will work with any tablet you choose with varying levels of success.

Thanks guys. That gives me a starting point at least, instead of shooting in the dark. I'm pretty impatient but tablets are expensive enough I can't really afford to be here, so I'd best do some more research

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
through the final interview with the store managers early next week :)

Shaneus

What the fuck! I didn't even know he had cancer. Damn that sucks :(
The thread.
I knew, but given they recently released an album, I thought he was over it :(
A little scary, my old man has just finished treatment for something (I think) was in a similar area of his throat. Somewhat preventative, but still...

So good. Best music video in ages.

Also the most popular music video of all time. No question. Not only were they amazing writers, rappers and artists but they could also rock the shit out of their own instruments too. Not to mention the awesome punk stuff they put out too.

Pouring one out on Cinco de Mayo for the man. Chili and cider, what a combo.
9c299302964e11e1a87612313804ec91_7.jpg

Man, this morning really fucking sucks. This really hurts :(

BzcHd.jpg

RIP MCA
Really fucking sucks. 47 is so damn young to be taken away from your family. When they announced what he was going through I thought by now things would be okay but obviously the last year has been pretty rough.

Hello Nasty was the first CD I bought for myself as a teenager. Damn I played the hell out of that CD :(
Puttin' Shame In Your Game was such a cool track, mellow yet weird as all hell, turned me onto a lot of out there hip hop stuff.

Paul's Boutique was an incredibly vital album upon my personal discovery of it in the early 2000's.
Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun is my favourite, awesome use of live instruments along with some classic samples, like Time by Pink Floyd. Still the album everyone talks about as an influence in interviews. Has a timeless quality to it because no one has ever crafted anything like it.

Shaneus

I'd never actually listened to Boutique in full until just now on their website. I'm going out to buy it today, wouldn't mind organising a copy of it on vinyl as well, just for the hell of it. Always great album artwork.

Also, a track I had no idea they had a video for. Just awesome:
Hold It Now, Hit It

And yes, I have actually teared up today. Quite possibly the first time ever when hearing of a celebrity's passing.

One more thing: Someone find out how I can watch this. As an Aussie, I have no idea if baseball can be downloaded/streamed anywhere :(

Gazunta

RIP MCA. Fucking fuck fuckity FUCK cancer. As I said on Twitter this morning Licensed to Ill and Check Your Head were mainstays on my CD player back in the original Gazunta HQ when I started being a writer. They got me through a lot.

I foolishly turned on the radio while in the car this morning half expecting some kind of acknowledgment on Triple J or something but nothing fuck listening to the radio for any reason ever.

Fuck.

It's Free Comic Book Day. Go check out your local comic shop and buy a locally made comic while you're there. Or the fiftieth reboot of Batman or whatever.

And this Eurogamer article is going to feel really familiar to me isn't it.

I'm in a bad mood now.

Salazar

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/05/report_rutgers_athletics_cost.html

Rutgers funneled $28.5 million from the university budget and student fees into sports, the most among 54 U.S. public universities in the biggest football conferences, based on data compiled by Bloomberg for the fiscal year ended last June. It was at least the second straight year at the top of the list for the state university of New Jersey, despite cost-cutting after lawmakers and faculty protested that academics were losing out.

This is embarrassing shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom