• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boston alt-right rally attracts 20 people, counter-protest estimated at 15,000

Cyanity

Banned
UPDATE - As of 12:50PM, the "free speech" protestors have apparently started to leave. We won today. Good job everyone who participated, and THANK YOU for keeping the protest peaceful. I will keep updating this post if anything major still happens.

Hey GAF, I didn't see a thread for this so I took the liberty to make one.

Today, August 19th, 2017, in response to the Charlottesville protests, a right wing "free speech" rally is to be held in Boston Common from 10AM to 5:30PM. Supposedly the KKK will be in attendance.

In response to this hate rally, up to 20,000 counter protestors plan on attending, which will most likely make today tumultuous, to say the least. Let's make this thread a catch-all for the day. If you see any violence or open displays of Nazi paraphernalia, report it in this thread.

Good luck and stay safe, BostonGAF.

Update - Safety precautions:

If you will be attending the counter protests, please don't bring anything that could be construed as a weapon. Police will be searching bags and have informed protestors to refrain from bringing backpacks. If you have to bring a bag just pack it with snacks and water. No one knows if the protest will turn violent, but a face mask and goggles aren't a bad idea.

Update - Safety precautions:

If you will be attending the counter protests, please don't bring anything that could be construed as a weapon. Police will be searching bags and have informed protestors to refrain from bringing backpacks. If you have to bring a bag just pack it with snacks and water. No one knows if the protest will turn violent, but a face mask and goggles aren't a bad idea.

The city has put up a full list of prohibited items:

http://bpdnews.com/news/2017/8/17/b...-saturday-august-19-2017-on-the-boston-common

Firearms, knives, weapons, sharp objects, shields or fireworks
Pop up tents or canopies
Cans, glass containers, pre-mixed beverages or alcoholic beverages
Wagons or pull carts
Coolers
Drones
Pets (excluding certified service animals)
Grills, propane tanks or open flames
Bicycles
Flag poles, bats, clubs, sticks (including signs attached to sticks)
Any athletic equipment or other item which could be used as a weapon

goggles and facemasks may be construed as "athletic equipment"

praying and crossing fingers nothing extreme happens in the end. Nazis/KKK shouted down and humiliated without any truly awful violence. Actually was going to see a movie near the Boston Commons today, but cancelled after the Mayor urged people not to approach the commons.

TyrantII

I'll be heading over later with the world's most powerful weapon.

A camera.

Stay safe everyone. And remember, they want violence so they can cut it up out of context for their propaganda bubbles. Defend yourselves if necessary, but otherwise kill them with kindness.

If GAF wants to get involved, you can pledge $1 per Nazi that shows up (or any amount) here that will go to anti-hate causes: https://pledgeit.org/nobostonhate

Donation will be in the names of the Nazis we can determine showed up. These fools have raised almost $100,000 against themselves already.

Few friends of mine are going to counter protest. Mayor Marty Walsh and Governor Charlie Baker both recommended in a joint press conference and Op-Ed in the Boston Globe yesterday that counter-protesters avoid the area on the recommendation of the Southern Poverty Law Center. That the best course of action is to hold a peace rally elsewhere which will overshadow the likely very low turnout in Boston for the 'Free Speech' rally.

Sunster

what is the goal of a free speech rally? we already have absolute, unquestionably free speech. it's painfully and abundantly clear. It's not going anywhere.

Otnopolit

what is the goal of a free speech rally? we already have absolute, unquestionably free speech. it's painfully and abundantly clear.

Just a nice little front to remind the people their racist ass can sieg Heil in the streets. These people want the violence. Protect people, but don't cause it. Please.

TyrantII

what is the goal of a free speech rally? we already have absolute, unquestionably free speech. it's painfully and abundantly clear. It's not going anywhere.

They want their safe spaces to spew Nazi propaganda without consequences. It's isn't about free speech. It's about freedom from consequence of speech.

TTOOLL

Why don't you counter protest another day, avoid violence and other people getting hurt or killed??

Why don't you counter protest another day, avoid violence and other people getting hurt or killed??

Protesting is one of the oldest tenets of democracy. Dozens of my friends are attending today, I don't expect any of them to be inciting violence. But they are willing to risk their own safety to be heard, because the cause is worth it to them. Haven't you ever believed in something that much?

Protesting is one of the oldest tenets of democracy. Dozens of my friends are attending today, I don't expect any of them to be inciting violence. But they are willing to risk their own safety to be heard, because the cause is worth it to them. Haven't you ever believed in something that much?

The racists are actually mostly giant fucking pussys so I won't be surprised if most of the Charlottesville crowd stays home.

I can't get into Boston today, but I'll be at a smaller satellite event that's happening on Cape Cod.

In the week since Charlottesville we've had Nazi graffiti defacing things right here in the town we live in.

Stay strong and stay safe everyone.

TTOOLL

Blame the left, smooth move.

How about the racists protest from home on their computers, avoid violence and people getting hurt and killed?

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing...but why risk upsetting someone? I mean, just do something about it some other time.

I didn't tell you to do nothing. I said, protest another day, make your voice louder without putting on masks and creating conflict. Or, protest in another part of the city, far from the other rally.

Anyway, don't come crying on the internet later because you got hurt.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I didn't tell you to do nothing. I said, protest another day, make your voice louder without putting on masks and creating conflict. Or, protest in another part of the city, far from the other rally.

TTOOLL by name, Tool by nature.

Advising people to avoid protesting Nazi's, niiiice.

faint.

I will be there sometime after noon today. Security is expected to be very tight so I'm hoping this remains nonviolent. I expect we'll out number protesters by at least 3:1.

Sanjuro

What if they come crying, but not on the internet? Have you ever thought of that, bro?

The point is to draw out a counter-protest in the hopes of re-contextualizing this as a "free speech vs. oppression" conflict rather than Nazis vs. Antifa, since they have come to realize in the last week people are not as sympathetic toward Nazis as Trump made them believe.

I imagine they'll still probably fuck their plan up in practice by having too many openly Nazi cocksuckers show up in the cheering section.

I don't know! You didn't specify where. I didn't know if it was an extension of the hate groups.

This is a thread about the counter protest in Boston today. I said I was going to satellite event. I think I've posted enough in OT that it'd be clear that I'm not a goddamn Nazi.

TTOOLL

TTOOLL by name, Tool by nature.

Advising people to avoid protesting Nazi's, niiiice.

Sorry, I don't think you can read. I said the opposite of avoiding. I told you to protest, but on another day/place to avoid violence.

And holy shit, right wing is now Nazi? It's impossible to have a conversation this way.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Planning on watching CNN in hopes of them covering this live. For those going out there to counter these assholes please be safe,

Orayn

The allies should have avoided conflict with the axis by doing their whole "not fascism" thing somewhere else, with louder voices.

And holy shit, right wing is now Nazi? It's impossible to have a conversation this way.

This is a follow-up to another protest that included a large number of self-professed neo-Nazis, klansmen, and related groups. It's not just conservatives, though the two often are fair weather friends.

Avoiding conflict with oppressors has never gotten shit done. My friends won't be wearing masks, they're not cowards or troublemakers.

If the Nazis try anything outwardly violent, I'm afraid they'll find themselves badly outnumbered, this ain't Virginia.

Sorry, I don't think you can read. I said the opposite of avoiding. I told you to protest, but on another day/place to avoid violence.

The white-supremacist rally in Charlottesville was literally called "Unite The Right."

Sanjuro

This is a thread about the counter protest in Boston today. I said I was going to satellite event. I think I've posted enough in OT that it'd be clear that I'm not a goddamn Nazi.

I have no idea what you're on about.

You made a vague post about something happening on the Cape, so I asked a question. If you are going to a counter protest, I would be under the impression there is an opposing group or event that would be there.

Top Bottom